• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

anyone that played ys oath in felghana, is there a way to set the "accept" button to A but still use it to jump?

maybe like a .ini i can edit somewhere?

I don't think so. You get used to that eventually though.

I told you the control scheme was terrible...

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think so. You get used to that eventually though.

I told you the control scheme was terrible...

ended up with:
a = jump
x = attack
y = boost
rb = spell
and lb does some other thing i can't remember

it's not too bad, it's just annoying for the menu navigation :/

tmarg

ended up with:
a = jump
x = attack
y = boost
rb = spell

I think you'll probably end up wanting the bumpers for cycling through spells, once you get them all.

STALKER is pretty dope, also playing with the mod that makes gun stronger, enemies go down quicker but so do i, iv'e died twice so far. I'm digging it :)

Does Gone Home have any jump scares? So far the thunder gets me every once and a while, and I had a light burn out and I got spooked because I am apparently a little girl. I just want to know if I am okay to finish this tonight, because I would like to be able to sleep.

Shadownet

Banned
Does Gone Home have any jump scares? So far the thunder gets me every once and a while, and I had a light burn out and I got spooked because I am apparently a little girl. I just want to know if I am okay to finish this tonight, because I would like to be able to sleep.

You're already dead.
It doesn't have any.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

There are a few moments that play with your expectations like that, but nothing more than that.

iosefe

i still remember going through this that light bursting freaked me out.

maybe it was what you do to make the like go out

zkylon

zkylewd
it has a bit more of those things, but nothing too bad

I think you'll probably end up wanting the bumpers for cycling through spells, once you get them all.
yeah, probably

i used magic with rb cos jumping and shooting fireballs was weird with a and b

STALKER is pretty dope, also playing with the mod that makes gun stronger, enemies go down quicker but so do i, iv'e died twice so far. I'm digging it :)
wait until you see the blowouts!

I like mine http://steamcommunity.com/id/freshVeggie
:p
This looks interesting but I would like to see more about procedurally animated movement.
Saw that on a little game project by the guys who do Sub Rosa.
it's oh so very good, play play play.
Its age made me doubt being not friendly for adventure-game noobs like me but I am liking the visuals and humor from what I saw.
Off to the WL.
Such an awesome sandbox game.
Very high on the list of games I want to play once I get a capable PC.
Great video.

Nabs

ended up with:
a = jump
x = attack
y = boost
rb = spell

How I like it:

A - Jump
X - Attack
B - Magic
RB/LB - Spell rotation (Bracelet)

Hold Attack for Magic, Always Dash Once Able

iosefe

How I like it:

A - Jump
X - Attack
B - Magic

this will be helpful. i really new to continue Oath, but i got stuck at the boss at the end of the mines with the spinning blades of magic

tmarg

How I like it:

A - Jump
X - Attack
B - Magic

That's how I have it, but there are some annoying things with it, jumping while using magic is slightly awkward, and trying to attack while charging magic is extremely awkward.

this will be helpful. i really new to continue Oath, but i got stuck at the boss at the end of the mines with the spinning blades of magic

He's not too bad, once you get his pattern down. Of course, I've played Origins before, so I was somewhat familiar with Ys bosses going in. I think I remember the earlier boss in the mines being harder though.

Glad I'm not alone in my wussy-ness. I just got some Sennheiser HD650s so I am playing games with atmospheric sounds to test the sound stage, but playing at night is probably not my best idea. As long as I'm not going to turn around and see someone there, I should be able to manage.

iosefe

He's not too bad, once you get his pattern down. Of course, I've played Origins before, so I was somewhat familiar with Ys bosses going in. I think I remember the earlier boss in the mines being harder though.

i think i got the die 10 times cheevo on him. i think...

but then i grinded

Deitus

That's how I have it, but there are some annoying things with it, jumping while using magic is slightly awkward, and trying to attack while charging magic is extremely awkward.

When I played on the PSP, I mapped magic to one trigger, jump to the other trigger, and left attack as one of the face buttons (using the other face buttons to toggle magic). That way I had charging magic, jumping, and attacking all on different fingers and I could do them all independently or simultaneously. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but it worked out well.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It's kinda funny that the topic of Gone Home's trickery comes up now, Jawmuncher was in the SH:A thread wondering how anyone could have gotten scared by Gone Home~

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So EA is experiencing massive outage.
Sims 4 48 hours more popular than expected?
It's also Battlefield 4, Titanfall and Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. You know, simultaneously. What could possibly go wrong?
"I got everything I wanted done and just woke up with nothing to do all day. I'm going to finally play Dragon Age Inquisition"

-___________-

zkylon

zkylewd

oh fuck this shit

iblQqidbS3EFsc.gif

at least play the game damn it

it was actually a dark an stormy night when i played it.

it didn't help
i bet

i generally like playing games like those on afternoons, so that's what i did. still kind of scary

Its age made me doubt being not friendly for adventure-game noobs like me but I am liking the visuals and humor from what I saw.
Off to the WL.
i mean adventure games aren't really something that age badly cos unless you're completely incapable of getting used to tank controls (in which case, what's wrong with you?), the rest is all getting your head into crazy adventure game logic

How I like it:

A - Jump
X - Attack
B - Magic

hmm i'll think about it

i just can't manage to jump and throw fireballs at the same time with that setup

iosefe

It's kinda funny that the topic of Gone Home's trickery comes up now, Jawmuncher was in the SH:A thread wondering how anyone could have gotten scared by Gone Home~
<----this is the face of a coward

it's the atmophere. and [actually SPOILERS]
the way it is present leading up is as you learn things bit by bit, you think it ends with a dead body. but then it turns out the fear comes from yourself. the thought of entering a strange house on a dark and stormy night and those that should be there aren't are scary thoughts for some people.

and that's how. i hope you like your answer, Jawmuncher

zkylon

zkylewd
i think my favorite thing about ys is that they seem to have hired a crazy metal guitarist or something to do the soundtrack and the guy's like going crazy on the guitar in the background while i'm just walking around lol

Nabs

i think my favorite thing about ys is that they seem to have hired a crazy metal guitarist or something to do the soundtrack

the guy's like going crazy on the guitar in the background while i'm just walking around lol

The Falcom sound team is amazing.

hmm i'll think about it

i just can't manage to jump and throw fireballs at the same time with that setup

Hold X > Press A > let go of X.

<----this is the face of a coward

it's the atmophere. and [actually SPOILERS]
the way it is present leading up is as you learn things bit by bit, you think it ends with a dead body. but then it turns out the fear comes from yourself. the thought of entering a strange house on a dark and stormy night and those that should be there aren't are scary thoughts for some people.

and that's how. i hope you like your answer, Jawmuncher

For me it is that unknown feeling. I am dumped at an empty house and I have to figure everything out. I don't know if I am alone or what I am going to find. The creaking house that constantly sounded like footsteps didn't help.

On a related note, I just finished the game. I might have missed one or two things but it took me just shy of 2 hours. I thought it was pretty good, I've definitely played more boring games in this genre. I just can't get over how big that house is.

ExoSoul

Banned
So, about Mirror Moon EP... Does anyone know how to "finish" it? I've been naming planets and increased my B side by 1%, is it the remaining 5% in the A side?
Also what's with the side A being covered with images of No Man's Sky?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So, about Mirror Moon EP... Does anyone know how to "finish" it? I've been naming planets and increased my B side by 1%, is it the remaining 5% in the A side?

The percentages are two different portions of the game. Side A is the "Story" completion. In order to 100% it, you need to find hints around the galaxy you're in that point to where the second half of the Mirrormoon is. This could take you a few planets, or it could take you a few hours depending.

Side B is the collective percentage of that universe ("season") you're in that has been discovered, the puzzle on the planet solved, and named. You don't really get anything for hitting 100% here, it just means that there are no unsolved planets to visit.

ExoSoul

Banned
The percentages are two different portions of the game. Side A is the "Story" completion. In order to 100% it, you need to find hints around the galaxy you're in that point to where the second half of the Mirrormoon is. This could take you a few planets, or it could take you a few hours depending.

Side B is the collective percentage of that universe ("season") you're in that has been discovered, the puzzle on the planet solved, and named. You don't really get anything for hitting 100% here, it just means that there are no unsolved planets to visit.

I'll wrap it in spoilers cause it might actually be but it's a question about what you said regarding side A:
Do I have to figure out how to cross the bridge or do you mean I have to find the star that's just like it, I've found some that are similar but in the end I just got a fuel cell.
It may be because it's 6 a.m. but I also can't tell if you mean I have to find it in the galaxy using side A or in side B xD

Well, that's it for me today.
Good night/morning/day/afternoon guys and gals.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'll wrap it in spoilers cause it might actually be but it's a question about what you said regarding side A:
Do I have to figure out how to cross the bridge or do you mean I have to find the star that's just like it, I've found some that are similar but in the end I just got a fuel cell.
It may be because it's 6 a.m. but I also can't tell if you mean I have to find it in the galaxy using side A or in side B xD

If you load Side A, it will just take you to the "original" Mirrormoon. The other half is stuck in Side B. I don't want to give away too much because a good chunk of the game of Mirrormoon is putting the pieces together to find the other half. I will say it is a tad bit easier if the galaxy completion is already pretty high when you start since most players label the planets properly to help others find their way.

You'll know when you're on the right planet because it will force you to follow a similar puzzle pattern to the Mirrormoon's puzzle.

zkylon

zkylewd
not sure if i like ys

it's entertaining i guess but it's also got like zero story hooks and i just don't find myself wanting to play it for more than an hour or so. it's not boring as much as just not very compelling for me

probably gonna be my first and last ys game

Ever since I got addicted to FM2012 when my 460 GTX burned up, I've been hoping to one day have an NFL edition I can sink into. I honestly know nothing about footie teams, but I don't think I'd have anything else loaded on my computer if I could play the exact same things but with NFL teams.

...Mostly, I just want to live the dream that the Washington Redskins will stop sucking before I expire from the Earth.

The things I would do to get an NFL version of Football Manager or Out of the Park Baseball on Steam.

Hell, the things I would do to get Madden on Steam...
Well I'm glad to share this with you guys, the developers/publishers of OOTP Baseball are making an NFL management game which is being released this year.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0134/

ExoSoul

Banned
If you load Side A, it will just take you to the "original" Mirrormoon. The other half is stuck in Side B. I don't want to give away too much because a good chunk of the game of Mirrormoon is putting the pieces together to find the other half. I will say it is a tad bit easier if the galaxy completion is already pretty high when you start since most players label the planets properly to help others find their way.

You'll know when you're on the right planet because it will force you to follow a similar puzzle pattern to the Mirrormoon's puzzle.

I see, so I've come close but not close enough (not in the literal sense).
Good to know =)

Tizoc

not sure if i like ys

it's entertaining i guess but it's also got like zero story hooks and i just don't find myself wanting to play it for more than an hour or so. it's not boring as much as just not very compelling for me

probably gonna be my first and last ys game

Ys are about action more than story, if you're more of a story person, than Ys may not be for you.

Does Grey Goo seem like something that might be good? Odd that there's no price or pre-order despite releasing in nine hours.

Edit: Annoying that Total War: Attria isn't launching with gore dlc. Shouldn't have to wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom