• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Already entered in the morning but didnt win it. Entered again and also didnt win, so maybe I am on some blocklist lol

huh that's funny that you mention that. There's a game in that batch that I tried to win last time (it went unclaimed) and is now up for grabs again and yet nobody can seem to win it.

Probably on a blocklist, too :O

thats strange... I didn't block anybody

Knurek

GOTY 2015?

ss_a21b700afc614992037385818a83a059eb31ea68.600x338.jpg

Definitely GOTY.
//EDIT
OHMYGOD, it's done by the Dinosaur Comics guy.
Instabuy (if cheap)

Nope. You can basically hide from the monster behind some crates (if he didn't see you), or hiding behind crates doing a minigame, winning it and it will go away for some time.
The fact is, I hide, I proceed, I open a door and bam, insta-death because of reasons.
I was liking the game so far, but this whole chapter is only here to artificially increase the game length, is very bad done. You can hear the monster coming, but you won't know from WHERE it will come, so if you, in example, go right because in that area there are no boxes to hide you, and the game spawn on the right, you are fucked.

It seems very random (mostly because you die before you can figure it out), but there is definitely a way to "game" the enemy by listening.

1) The follows a certain route
2) You can wait at certain points for the enemy spawn, run to hide, and progress.
3) Save after you have made some progress
4) Write down the puzzle solutions so you can figure them out faster when the enemy is after you

I agree that it was frustrating, but I pretty much finished the whole chapter in a single run after dying like 50 times.

edit: oh yeah, after "winning" the hiding thing, wait until the enemy has moved to other room. That's crucial and you'll need it in upcoming chapters.

Dr Dogg

So I'm checking out OcUK's forums this morning for any new tasty GPU news and see a thread blowing up that 970's might have a liiiittle bit of an issue. That links to OC.net, plus there's a thread on Guru and then I notice there's a thread here. I'm surprised that nothing hasn't been aid or found since they launched, first thing I do is rag my cards as hard as they go (then again I am a little silly).

So while 970's have got rave reviews and have been peachy for most there are also larger than usual number of peeps complaining about coil whine (might be in part more due to increased volume in sales), a couple with bad cooler designs, others with poor power management design, possibly a memory issue and to compound the scale here over a million sold (well 9xx series but I guess a large chunk were 970's). Though those issues probably don't effect the majority (well we'll see about the memory issue) I can't imagine it's a very pleasant day for Nvidia and their board partners. Still I'm getting a chuckle at the reactionaries 'threatening' to switch to AMD.

derExperte

New Breach & Clear game (in EA): http://store.steampowered.com/app/310890

Day 1. I need my hidden objects fix.

Still I'm getting a chuckle at the reactionaries 'threatening' to switch to AMD.

NV pulled a ton of shady bullshit back in the day which made me avoid them for a looooong time. Then I bought a 8800GT, a series with bad longevity issues, avoided them again and now this (I knew about the 660 but figured it was a one-off). I would be gone in a second if AMD releases a competitve card.

Get NINJA STORM 3, it was decent fun and Revolution is not adding too much. Certainly not worth the added 14 Pound.

I'm still confused by what the differences are but that's what I gathered as well.
Full Burst seems to have a story mode and Revolution seems to have more characters and more polished combat, but no story.

Chariot

I'm still confused by what the differences are but that's what I gathered as well.
Full Burst seems to have a story mode and Revolution seems to have more characters and more polished combat, but no story.
You're right about that.
FULL BURST 3 follows part of the later Naruto Shippuuden storyline and has it's own ending, different from manga and Revolution is a strange tournament set-up with no regards for the story, although it features three original mini-stories. It has a few characters more, but most of them are more or less just reskins.

Revolution is afaik just a filler until FULL BURST 4 comes out.

Arthea

IDK, I thought Ninja Storm 3 is awful, QTE ridden beginning convinced me to drop it fast, especially when I found out how fighting works. Then again, maybe it's just not my thing, so take it as you will.

Can't say that I have though I've been out of anime for some years now. This sounds interesting though!

check Zetsuen no Tempest when you feel like it.

You're right about that.
FULL BURST 3 follows part of the later Naruto Shippuuden storyline and has it's own ending, different from manga and Revolution is a strange tournament set-up with no regards for the story, although it features three original mini-stories. It has a few characters more, but most of them are more or less just reskins.

Revolution is afaik just a filler until FULL BURST 4 comes out.
The most confusing is that they would take out the story entirely of a game that is basically an update of the last version, and charge more (in this case 5x as much) for it. Why would you ever buy it.

Chariot

The most confusing is that they would take out the story entirely of a game that is basically an update of the last version, and charge more (in this case 5x as much) for it. Why would you ever buy it.
Because you like Naruto and/or you have no idea what that game is because you're still amazed at the name of that thing.

Because you like Naruto and/or you have no idea what that game is because you're still amazed at the name of that thing.

The classic "fans will buy anything" method.

I used to import Japanese Naruto games from Play-Asia and sell them at 3x markup on ebay years ago, so i can understand :p. Sorry German Naruto fans

Revo is just an 'in-between the numbered entries that actually have the story line/single player effort' cash grab for fans who gotta have more Naruto.

I am one of those people. But I play them on consoles.

They did it between 2 and 3 as well with Generations releasing a 'fighting focused' one with minimal single player content. 4 will be the next proper effort one.

Damn Hero Emblems looks fun as f**k, sad its not on Android though I don't have iOS. :(

Dr Dogg

NV pulled a ton of shady bullshit back in the day which made me avoid them for a looooong time. Then I bought a 8800GT, a series with bad longevity issues, avoided them again and now this (I knew about the 660 but figured it was a one-off). I would be gone in a second if AMD releases a competitve card.

I was looking at 290x's before I got my 780's due to having better performance at about the same or lower cost but it the whole power hungry nature of them and keeping them cool and quiet that turned me off. Then ultimately it's the loss of features too as driver manipulation is far easier on Nvidia and little treats like built in hardware encoding, which not only powers ShadowPlay also make Steam In Home Streaming a whole lot better. Plus downsampling was a pain in the arse on AMD at the time of my purchase. OpenGL support is getting better but it's still not up to par with Nvidia's or Intel's drivers.

On the flipside Mantel support is a plus (though be interesting to see how adoption fares when DX12 titles start coming out) and while Nvidia have come on leaps and bounds with OpenCL support, AMD still rules the roost there (granted this isn't really a gaming application).

Though I think we all really want AMD to knock it out the park with the 3xx series just so there's some full on competition there.

Speaking of the 660's that was a ridiculous situation. Wasn't it that initially they were meant to be just OEM cards and as such came in 1.5 and 3gb varients over a 192bit bus, then when releasing a retail build just took the 1.5gb OEM board and slapped on another 512mb but not hooked up to the memory controller as expected? Be interesting to see what the issue is here with the 970's.

dex3108

AMD has a big issue because they are fighting on two fronts. They are fighting Nvidia and Intel on CPU and GPU market and they don;t have enough money for both fights.

I am on mobile, so checking is a bit work.

But what are exactly 970/980s problems? Is it very important stuff, non-solvable hardware or just needs new drivers?

970s seem to not be able to use all of it's 4GB VRAM, while 980s can (or at least a good amount more of it). No one knows what exactly is happening or why.

Umh, I don't think they properly won it...is that Nvidia said "No" because of the poor offer from Sony and Microsoft.
And AMD took its chance to do some easy money by giving Sony and Microsoft some olds GPU, basically a low end PC.
I think I also saw an article about this back in days.

I remember Nvidia screwed MS on the Xbox contract, so nobody wants to work with them anymore on consoles or something like that I think.

Yeah, they are talking about their competitors, what are they gonna say? I would take their comments with a grain of salt.

970s seem to not be able to use all of it's 4GB VRAM, while 980s can (or at least a good amount more of it). No one knows what exactly is happening or why.
Oh. Thanks. Sounds like a solvable thing with software updates? Can't understand/believe being hardware related. Such basic problems would have been seen during QA?!

Note: I am not a techy guy, so all can be totally wrong ;)

Arthea

I LOVE figuring out games with no title.

sorry
I just paid the same coin I got from Knurek. (><)
gifs are from Hero Emblems and my pic is Terra Battle.

edited: for some time I though AMD is going to win, but obviously neither NVidia nor AMD is going to win, it will be the battle of forever.

dex3108

They don't seem to be doing so badly since they won both the Xbox One and PS4 contracts.

As far as i know AMD gets minimal profit from those contracts. That contracts makes sure that their lines are working and people are keeping their job. Nvidia constantly produces more efficient GPUs and AMD can't keep with them. Now we have GTX960 that under max load can't reach 120W and AMD cards that are same class are using 190+W constantly. They need new killer CPU and GPU if they want to stay alive, console contract can't help them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm checking out OcUK's forums this morning for any new tasty GPU news and see a thread blowing up that 970's might have a liiiittle bit of an issue. That links to OC.net, plus there's a thread on Guru and then I notice there's a thread here. I'm surprised that nothing hasn't been aid or found since they launched, first thing I do is rag my cards as hard as they go (then again I am a little silly).

So while 970's have got rave reviews and have been peachy for most there are also larger than usual number of peeps complaining about coil whine (might be in part more due to increased volume in sales), a couple with bad cooler designs, others with poor power management design, possibly a memory issue and to compound the scale here over a million sold (well 9xx series but I guess a large chunk were 970's). Though those issues probably don't effect the majority (well we'll see about the memory issue) I can't imagine it's a very pleasant day for Nvidia and their board partners. Still I'm getting a chuckle at the reactionaries 'threatening' to switch to AMD.

AMD is fine? I'm still waiting for their line refresh and for the second gen 970s, but the fanboyism some people have between the two is foolish. It's why I stay away from part discussion threads unless I'm looking to upgrade.

Dr Dogg

AMD is fine? I'm still waiting for their line refresh and for the second gen 970s, but the fanboyism some people have between the two is foolish. It's why I stay away from part discussion threads unless I'm looking to upgrade.

I've been using an AMD card at work for about 3 years now and no complaints (granted my workload isn't anything remotely gaming at all). Anyway each have their perks, for example AMD have far better multi monitor support and bezel correction, plus getting more than 3 monitors hooked up is a piece of cake whilst it's a right royal pain on Nvidia. It was only recently Nvidia sorted out the colour range issue over certain resolutions and refresh rates that AMD had a toggle for in their drivers for year.

That doesn't seem like the most ideal setup for games to me there Dell.

Yeah a whopping great big bezel in the middle of the screen for anything other than work isn't really ideal. All these monitors coming out have thin bezels on the case but have roughly 1cm internally.

surprisingly you dream small, I want this, only much much larger:

or that flexible wall monitor, I can't find a pic now, for some reason. (it's called a membrane screen or something? can't remember (._.)

I'm waiting on OLED to have a good couple of years to mature in the consumer space before getting all excited about it. No doubt it's going to be great for media consumption but I have my doubt with gaming in lieu of response times and latency. That and panel lifetime and mura issue still need to be improved before I would want to use one as a main monitor for x hours a day but that can only come in time.

Yeah a whopping great big bezel in the middle of the screen for anything other than work isn't really ideal. All these monitors coming out have thin bezels on the case but have roughly 1cm internally..

Do any games even work properly on a dual monitor setup? Can't say I've ever seen it be used.

EDIT: In the interest of experimenting, windowed Football Manager does seem to be fine, but due to my setup, the bezel is terrible.

Dr Dogg

Do any games even work properly on a dual monitor setup? Can't say I've ever seen it be used.

EDIT: In the interest of experimenting, windowed Football Manager does seem to be fine, but due to my setup, the bezel is terrible.

Well the way drivers handle the resolution is to send a new resolution to games that it's doubled in width (so a 1920x1080 display would report at 3840x1080). Not all titles support it, just the same as not all games can handle triple monitor setups or even 21:9 resolutions. Though tools like Flawless Widescreen and Widescreen Fixer as well as some other work arounds usually cater for lots of different set ups. But yeah it's not ideal unless you have a really thin bezel on your moniotors.

One thing I thought was cool was a vid TekSyndicate did with 3 16:9 monitors but put in portrait mode so you had a resolution of 4320 horizontally and 2560 vertically. So almost poor mans 5k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3Kn1fGGTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom