• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Do I get Grim Fandango from Steam or GOG?
If I get from GOG...it's DRM-free.
If I get from Steam...I get Gaben Dollars.

Hmm...

Dragonfall is so good. Up at the home stretch so I started to talk to my crew and what do you know they have their own personal quests. Did Glory's first and it was and
shit was dark as fuck
and now I just finished Blitz' which was probably my favourite quest outside of Trial Run. Already put towards the Hong Kong kickstarter before I even tried this or Returns out. Glad I did. Can't believe there's gonna be more of this goodness in just over half a years time.

I'll probably restart this after I finish with a pre-defined build. Winged it with stats, winded up with points all over the place.

Dr Dogg

Don't buy it, it's a shitty remaster, they didn't even bother to make it widescreen :(

I wonder how much that would actually cost to go back and make all the renders 16:9? Same thing with RE-REmake? Sure it would cost a fortune as one is by a company that didn't have access to the original assets that have probably long since disappeared and the other is from one who is historically careless with them but nonetheless I wonder if spending the extra money would generate enough to make it worthwhile? Judging by the decisions made I guess DF and Capcpom didn't think so.

Tizoc

Don't buy it, it's a shitty remaster, they didn't even bother to make it widescreen :(

Pfft widescreen don't bother me, what you want me to gift the game to you? You think Crom's generosity is limitless, boundless?
YOU WILL BUY THIS REMSATER, EXPERIENCE ONE OF THE GREATEST PNC GAMES OF ALL TIME AND SING PRAISE TO CROM FOR GRANTING YOU THE ENLIGHTENMENT TO CHANGE YOUR WAYS AND APPRECIATE THE ELDER 4:3 GODS!

Jawmuncher

header.jpg

Venetica - Gold Edition is now available on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/338140/

Anyone knows what extra does the gold edition contain?

Holy shit it actually made it onto steam.
Dunno what's so gold about it, there wasn't DLC on the consoles I don't think.

Terra_Ex

header.jpg

Venetica - Gold Edition is now available on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/338140/

Anyone knows what extra does the gold edition contain?
Thought this had disappeared into the ether, sort of tempted to grab it now before further shenanigans occur.

Dragonfall is so good. Up at the home stretch so I started to talk to my crew and what do you know they have their own personal quests. Did Glory's first and it was and
shit was dark as fuck
and now I just finished Blitz' which was probably my favourite quest outside of Trial Run. Already put towards the Hong Kong kickstarter before I even tried this or Returns out. Glad I did. Can't believe there's gonna be more of this goodness in just over half a years time.

I'll probably restart this after I finish with a pre-defined build. Winged it with stats, winded up with points all over the place.
Agreed, it's great.
Glory's quest can end on a pretty positive note depending on what you do, that's the way I felt anyway.
I personally liked the new stuff if
you side with Vauclair, an entire epilogue dedicated to his folly.
The devs are definitely going from strength to strength and I hope they keep the new campaigns flowing.

Perhaps Tim is planning to release the rest of the remaster at a later, undisclosed date... I'll see myself out.

You are asking for a remake, not a remaster if you want widescreen. This is a fine remaster. When they remaster old films to the fuck with the aspect ratio? No.

Seems to me like another DF fiasco for quick money grabs. REmake is something I can see that had some love poured into it, Grim Fandango I don't actually know what they've changed, it looks just like the old game to me, I don't think it's worth 15€, I'd pay maybe 2.5€ for it since I still have the original CD around.

I wonder how much that would actually cost to go back and make all the renders 16:9? Same thing with RE-REmake? Sure it would cost a fortune as one is by a company that didn't have access to the original assets that have probably long since disappeared and the other is from one who is historically careless with them but nonetheless I wonder if spending the extra money would generate enough to make it worthwhile? Judging by the decisions made I guess DF and Capcpom didn't think so.

In the case of REmake it would probably be more expensive since the art is much more complex, Grim Fandango art is very simple and probably any 3D artist could quickly redo it in widescreen with Blender.

derExperte

Seems to me like another DF fiasco for quick money grabs. REmake is something I can see that had some love poured into it, Grim Fandango I don't actually know what they've changed, it looks just like the old game to me, I don't think it's worth 15€, I'd pay maybe 2.5€ for it since I still have the original CD around.

So you haven't bothered to check what's new or wait for reviews but think its shitty. Nice.

Volcynika

In the case of REmake it would probably be more expensive since the art is much more complex, Grim Fandango art is very simple and probably any 3D artist could quickly redo it in widescreen with Blender.

This is the point where research should be done! I mean, I don't know either, but I don't want to talk down about something without knowing the finer details.

So you haven't bothered to check what's new or wait for reviews but think its shitty. Nice.

This is the point where research should be done! I mean, I don't know either, but I don't want to talk down about something without knowing the finer details.

Of course I checked what's new:

Repainted, hi-res character textures
New, dynamic lighting
Classic score re-recorded with a full live orchestra

When I said "I don't actually know what they've changed" I meant it sarcastically, because it looks like they have done nothing.

I've seen the screenshots, and it looks bad. You could easily see that REmake had work done to it from the screenshots, in the case of Grim Fandango it just looks like a very lazy money grab remaster with the bare minimum work. Definitely not worth 15€ when REmake is 20€ and had much much work done to it.

An interesting thing about Remember Me is that the game it best compares to is a game that not many people have played, either: Enslaved.

Outside of the memory remixing stuff, they basically follow the same gameplay loop that you can trace all the way back to the Sands of Time: Transversal segment, battle segment, some exposition, repeat. It has a kinda wonky shooting mechanic (like Enslaved) and it features gorgeous post-modern/post-apocalyptic environments rendered excellently by the unreal engine (again, enslaved) and, while each individual bit of gameplay isn't really anything more and average to slightly above average, when it call comes together the game becomes better than the sum of it parts (like that game i keep mentioning, enslaved). However, unlike Enslaved's PC port, this game doesn't require any fiddling at all with ini files or whatever to change some basic settings, and when it is running it's purring like a kitten with max settings and downsampling coming very easy to it.

So yeah, if you liked enslaved or games that share the same gameplay loop as enslaved then i can safely recommend picking up Remember Me. It's often hovering around $5 and well worth it at that price.

derExperte

I've seen the screenshots, and it looks bad. You could easily see that REmake had work done to it from the screenshots, in the case of Grim Fandango it just looks like a very lazy money grab remaster with the bare minimum work. Definitely not worth 15€ when REmake is 20€ and had much much work done to it.

The price is one thing but I don't see what more they could've done without an unreasonable amount of effort and without tampering with the look of the original. The backgrounds are what they are (widescreen in RE seems to have issues with blurriness) and the characters have a very simple style. Hard to improve. Plus we'll get better controls which was the main issue of the original.

Just heard about the 970 thing, anyway to test if my 970 is affected?

No need to, all are no matter what memory they're using.

Tak3n

Banned
I appreciate people have issues with the whole industry around key resellers, but Kinquin is having a winter sale

the headline one looking at it is Far Cry 4 season pass at £3.40/$5.50

just google them, link removed as not clear if banned seller

Deques

I appreciate people have issues with the whole industry around key resellers, but Kinquin is having a winter sale

I thought Kinquin is a banned site. Why do we still see the link?

Zafir

I think because they don't sell the keys (as I understand it) they act as a portal for other sites to sell on....

If anything that makes it more risky. :p You don't know where those sellers got their keys from.

It's not even that cheap to buy from them any more thanks to VAT.

Deques

If anything that makes it more risky. :p You don't know where those sellers got their keys from.

It's not even that cheap to buy from them any more thanks to VAT.

Their prices aren't even lower than historical lowest for some games. For example Sim City was sold for €5 in Origin client and Guild Wars 2 will cost $10 tomorrow

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

REmake encountered the exact same issue. There 16:9 "fix" is atrocious and the release is saved by the fact that they included the 4:3 original mode as well.

if they aren't banned they should be and you should remove the link.

just google them, link removed as not clear if banned seller
If you're not sure if they're legit and their prices are better than everywhere else, you should assume they are.

Tak3n

Banned
so there is someone on ebay selling the Dying light ultimate edition for £24, obviously this is a steal but needs VPN activation...

are steam still ok'ish about this (as long as you don't buy it from their store using vpn) do we know or are they cracking down?

Here's what i wanted from a Grim rerelease:

-Full Xinput support with proper controller prompts and all
-some slight touchups on the visuals
-Leave everything else the same, maybe raise the bitrates of the voicework or music if possible.

They did all of those things and more. They redid some (all?) of the midi tracks into orchestral tracks, added a new lighting system that gives the game an even more noir feel, and i think i read somewhere that they threw some extra polys into the models to make them less ancient.

not sure what else you'd want from it, really. The backgrounds were rendered in 4:3 so they're kinda stuck with that, no? They can REmaster them by adding some panning but it's not the most ideal solution outside of leaving them as is.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
so there is someone on ebay selling the Dying light ultimate edition for £24, obviously this is a steal but needs VPN activation...

are steam still ok'ish about this (as long as you don't buy it from their store using vpn) do we know or are they cracking down?

I want to say yes but others like JaseC, who deal with VPN activations more frequently, will have more concrete information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom