• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to post at least a tiny something about each new Steam game I play lately. Hopefully someone cares :p

This will not be in depth though, as I didn't like this one very much:

T.E.C. 3001

The reviews were pretty good, even though it sounded like a glorified smartphone endless runner.

I started with the campaign. The campaign is like a runner, but it's not endless. Think Bit.Trip Runner. The difference is that instead of a side-view, you're looking ahead, like in Temple Run.

However, your controls "turn" your guy usually, like a car in a racing game, as opposed to the "strafing" style.

Most rounds task you with collecting batteries on the way to the finish, and you can hit green arrows to speed up.

There's jumping and ducking, of course, and it feels alright when going at a high speed, but it really just seemed to not bring anything fresh or fun to the table.

I played about 10 levels and then tried a match of endless running which didn't win me over either.

One thing I really didn't like was the visuals. They're not ugly, but pretty much all of the obstacles are grey panels and it's hard to tell from afar what you're approaching.

Off of the backlog, but at least I got it as part of a bundle.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
exactly!

look how clean and nice that looks

Yeah, I'm not really sure what Valve was thinking here... Usually I try to stay away from simple CSS edits if possible because they're things that typically get changed often on Valve's end. For example, if I fix this with Enhanced Steam then Valve fixes it for real, people with Enhanced Steam will have about 17 pixels less padding than Valve intended.

But in this case I might have to make an exception, as that's been there forever and it bugs me too.

GaussTek

Well, at least Tabata knows Steam, unlike many other Japanese devs. So I'd said there's still a big chance for FFXV to come out on PC in the future, even if Type-0 doesn't.

Miguel81

Yeah, just looked into it. Seems the difference is fairly minimal in terms of looks, but still noticeable. The game seems stuck at 4:3. Personally I'd rather have black bars than the pattern. I'm glad they kept it looking as close to the original as possible though. There are some parts in the game that wouldn't be as good if they reimagined it too much.

Here's part of the remastering process that shows some of the differences - http://youtu.be/y4rOgZ3RINE?t=48s

Same here. I'm not sure why they insist on using patterns when re-releasing older 4:3 games. Do people prefer that rather than regular black bars?

Nzyme32

Same here. I'm not sure why they insist on using patterns when re-releasing older 4:3 games. Do people prefer that rather than regular black bars?

I really don't since I can usually tune out black bars pretty quickly, even though they aren't ideal. The only time I'm fine with patterned bars, are some scrolling shooter shmup games, and that's mostly because that space is still being used for info anyway, so it somehow makes sense to me.

Been watching my brother play Nosgoth since it left early access and entered open beta.

It look surprisingly awesome and he's loving it. We both were also pleasantly surprised at how fair and NOT pay-to-win its F2P model was. Its like a better version of the Blacklight:Retribution model.

I'd describe it as a 3rd person version of Aliens vs. Predator with a Vampire/Steampunk/Legacy of Kain skin.

Totally forgot about this, as did many on GAF it seems.

Zafir

What a load of rubbish. Dying Light having a month delay in the UK. Not sure whether to just wait and keep my £18 pre-order on Amazon or try and find a cheap digital copy. £30 from GMG kind of strings, honestly.

ESuffn7.png

The thirst is real. Thanks, Tizoc! I never played the original, but I always wanted to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What a load of rubbish. Dying Light having a month delay in the UK. Not sure whether to just wait and keep my £18 pre-order on Amazon or try and find a cheap digital copy. £30 from GMG kind of strings, honestly.

There's still no pre-load. I figured it'd go live today so people would be able to pre-load over the weekend, but apparently that makes too much sense.

Looks like the new windows tech preview build is out.

You can use Cortana hands free.

I guess you'd have to have your mic enabled all the time to do that?

I'd be nervous that I'd end up logging on to something that uses the mic without realizing that I was potentially being heard.

Phawx

header.jpg

My Let's Play of A.V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKZ2TmZRxcA

An interesting variation of echolocation games. There is too much of a pause between being able to ping and fire one of your abilities, which work like Portal 2 paint abilities, for my liking. But the build I have is still super early. I think I need to wait until this gets developed a little bit more because I'm not a fan of it right now. The game bills itself as a stealth game, and while there are stealthy things that need doing, you can just barrel through some places without incident.​

268x268.resizedimage

My Let's Play of Besiege:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbKGZSMDE6M

Now this is a great game even early on. Game is buttery smooth, looks great and is a fantastic physics puzzler. It's essentially just the meta part of Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, (i.e. The Fun Part) with simple objectives. Building is also SUPER simple, in terms of building not of making something work XD. I had a ton of fun playing and genuine laughs from seeing the random stuff happening. Forgot to mention how immensely easy it is to move around. Middle-clicking on a point of reference and having the camera pan to that area is a game-changer.

Easily Recommended

+1 to the family count is complete.

Hell of a week, SteamBros. Hell of a week.

Congrats. The first year with my first born was super hard on me, hope it goes well for you.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-74641AD34292814D - Taken by 19Kilo
LAST INUA -- MB-261FB1236C527E96 - Taken by bluechox2

Zafir

There's still no pre-load. I figured it'd go live today so people would be able to pre-load over the weekend, but apparently that makes too much sense.

Yeah. I feel like they just weren't prepared for moving the release date forward a month. Poor planning all over.

iosefe

268x268.resizedimage

My Let's Play of Besiege:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbKGZSMDE6M

Now this is a great game even early on. Game is buttery smooth, looks great and is a fantastic physics puzzler. It's essentially just the meta part of Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, (i.e. The Fun Part) with simple objectives. Building is also SUPER simple, in terms of building not of making something work XD. I had a ton of fun playing and genuine laughs from seeing the random stuff happening. Forgot to mention how immensely easy it is to move around. Middle-clicking on a point of reference and having the camera pan to that area is a game-changer.

Easily Recommended

Congrats. The first year with my first born was super hard on me, hope it goes well for you.

thats going straight to the wishlist

Deitus

:( and lol at the same time

Hah! It's disappointing to hear, but not entirely unexpected. At least he responded at all.

It is a bit surprising to find out he's a fan of Half-Life and Steam as well. I imagine he would want to put his games out on Steam, but he's probably not in a position to make that decision. Hopefully Square management is realizing that there is money to be made on the platform, and not just from old ports.

Jawmuncher

Didn't they say it will have SP, but will focus on MP since they want it to be an eSports title?

MP only?

Well there goes my interest.

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

“The scope of the single-player is not completely clear yet, so I cannot really elaborate on it.

Considering they haven't outright said there's going to be a campaign is fishy to me.
Could end up being anything like a bot mode if they want. Though I guess it wouldn't be MP only.

Dr Dogg

Nope, doesn't appear so. Or at least not that he could talk about.

I still have my PS4 copy on pre-order (along with XV and KH3) and I'm getting more and more hyped by the day. While it sucks to have to put down the cash on a PS4, I have played a few games on mine that have made it a worthwhile purchase already and getting new Final Fantasy games will make it even better.

It's alright after having to turn the house upside down to find an SD card adapter I can finally get to play SMT IV after 2 years of owning but not being able to due to stupid Nintendo and their region locking.

Considering I've been that patient for a game I really want to play and own, I think I can hold out on a new console. Well I hope so.

Looks like the new windows tech preview build is out.

You can use Cortana hands free.

I'm sure there will be some interesting uses for this. Say where's Milamber?

+1 to the family count is complete.

Hell of a week, SteamBros. Hell of a week.

Congratz to you and your now slightly bigger family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom