• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Having now played a bunch of REmaster, I think I never actually played REmake on normal or higher difficulties. Everything just takes more bullets, generally there seems to be more zombies than I recall, and not nearly as much red herbs. Having thought about it a little, I guess REmake wasn't really my RE game back in the day. I never speedran it or do anything nuts like knife only runs. RE2 was that game for me.

I was worried that I had gone casual since the game seemed harder, but turns out that maybe I was casual back then.

I'm sure there will be some interesting uses for this. Say where's Milamber?
I knew that someone would comment on my terrible attempt at a lewd joke. :p

Grief.exe

Having now played a bunch of REmaster, I think I never actually played REmake on normal or higher difficulties. Everything just takes more bullets, generally there seems to be more zombies than I recall, and not nearly as much red herbs. Having thought about it a little, I guess REmake wasn't really my RE game back in the day. I never speedran it or do anything nuts like knife only runs. RE2 was that game for me.

The last decade of mainstream games has certainly softened us up too.

Grief.exe

You say that like it's a bad thing.

If REmake's release proves anything, it's just how disenfranchised I have become with the AAA industry.
Definitely not a fan of the shallow direction mainstream games have gone. Thankfully, we have Indies and kickstarters to bridge the gap, but I am slowly moving farther away from this hobby.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, just looked into it. Seems the difference is fairly minimal in terms of looks, but still noticeable. The game seems stuck at 4:3. Personally I'd rather have black bars than the pattern. I'm glad they kept it looking as close to the original as possible though. There are some parts in the game that wouldn't be as good if they reimagined it too much.

Here's part of the remastering process that shows some of the differences - http://youtu.be/y4rOgZ3RINE?t=48s
yeah i mean, personally all i want is some very unobtrusive cleanup. i don't want normal maps and all that fancy stuff, i just want the smoothing on people's arms not to be all crazy like it was in 1998 lol

not that monkey island really needed the remake, but in grim fandango's case in particular, there's very little to actually remake, just polish up the characters who already have a lot of charm and that's it.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what Valve was thinking here... Usually I try to stay away from simple CSS edits if possible because they're things that typically get changed often on Valve's end. For example, if I fix this with Enhanced Steam then Valve fixes it for real, people with Enhanced Steam will have about 17 pixels less padding than Valve intended.

But in this case I might have to make an exception, as that's been there forever and it bugs me too.
you have to do it

for the sake of personal style and beauty!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2015-01-23_22-46-59.jpg

Jawmuncher

If REmake's release proves anything, it's just how disenfranchised I have become with the AAA industry.
Definitely not a fan of the shallow direction mainstream games have gone. Thankfully, we have Indies and kickstarters to bridge the gap, but I am slowly moving farther away from this hobby.

Just sucks from a larger developer perspective, they just don't want to take risks like this anymore. Hopefully sales of REmake turn that around, and Dark Souls and such has shown a good game doesn't need all the trappings of the common AAA space to be good and profitable. I like my easy "mainstream" games, but I definitely want more of the uniqueness we saw during the PS2 era. True indies and kickstarter are starting to try and bridge that gap, but for me I wish the big players would try wetting their feet more even if it's all just digital only fare for now.

Wasn't that original Colonial Marines gameplay in action as well.
Just saying.

Chariot

I am at a point with Hexcells where I don't even care if the games are in sales. I bought Plus and Infinite on full price and even play them, I must be mad.

Dr Dogg

Good thing I've got 'terrible taste' as I wouldn't be able to enjoy half of this lot. Here's my gaming purchase plans for the year (if I don't cave in with my 'buy no more than five titles' plan):-

20-1-15 - REMake
Mid to Late Feb? - Lightning Returns
24-3-15 - GTA V
26-3-15 - Pillars of Eternity*
19-5-15 - The Witcher III*
2-6-15 - Arkham Knight
??? - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
???, Maybe 16 - ZeldaU

*Bought before the turn of the year

I'll be surprised if Zelda doesn't get a delay plus Xenoblade Chronicles X is tempting but still no concrete 15 date in place and Ubi will no doubt screw the UK over again on Steam with AssCreed Victory but I'll be happy as a pig in the proverbial with that lot above.

Knurek

I am at a point with Hexcells where I don't even care if the games are in sales. I bought Plus and Infinite on full price and even play them, I must be mad.

thisisneogaf.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Good thing I've got 'terrible taste' as I wouldn't be able to enjoy half of this lot. Here's my gaming purchase plans for the year (if I don't cave in with my 'buy no more than five titles' plan):-

20-1-15 - REMake
Mid to Late Feb? - Lightning Returns
24-3-15 - GTA V
26-3-15 - Pillars of Eternity*
19-5-15 - The Witcher III*
2-6-15 - Arkham Knight
??? - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
???, Maybe 16 - ZeldaU

*Bought before the turn of the year

I'll be surprised if Zelda doesn't get a delay plus Xenoblade Chronicles X is tempting but still no concrete 15 date in place and Ubi will no doubt screw the UK over again on Steam with AssCreed Victory but I'll be happy as a pig in the proverbial with that lot above.

No Life is Strange or Dead or Alive 5 Last Round? *cries*

Dr Dogg

No Life is Strange or Dead or Alive 5 Last Rpund? *cries*

Well I said to myself 'Enough is enough' and I have to stop buying every release left right and centre hence my plan to stick to buying no more than 5 games this year. But I've already caved and picked up RE REmastered when it wasn't on my planed list so we'll see. I own DOA5 on PS3 but I can see me grabbing it at some point in time for PC goodness among other things.

FLD

The last decade of mainstream games has certainly softened us up too.

That is definitely true. A few hours into REHD on normal and I felt like I was doing so poorly I started over. My current run is going a lot more smoothly but I'm being extremely careful and very stingy with my ink ribbons and healing items. If I feel like I can redo a section better I'll usually reload my last save.

It's kind of refreshing, tbh. But there are times when I do miss checkpoints a little bit.

Phawx

This is at the 13:30 of my video on Besiege, but it truly shows how fast you can whip the UX. It's practically effortless.

abLzt1p.gif

Define intense. If you really wanted to blow the doors of you PC download Futuremark's 3DMark demo. I think the demo version (is the normal Basic Version) has the 4K test if not FireStrike is a bloody good work out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/

Ah that's a good idea, I didn't think about that. Yeah I'm just looking for something to test out the capabilities of the machine. We may be getting Alienware laptops at work. They're requested a demo unit for us to test out and I was thinking of installing whatever is the most intensive game I have to see how it handles it.

Kifimbo

Didn't realize I bought this bundle twice back then.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kifimbo:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Battle Group 2 -- MB-4CE12914B2D5A0CE - Taken by darkchewie
Deadly 30 -- MB-DADCDA44DBC298FA - Taken by 7Sins
Lexica -- MB-B4320EDE17D24375 - Taken by Dice
Bridge Constructor Medieval -- MB-670C8943D395F376 - Taken by Kurt Russell

Zeliard

Just beat Wolfenstein New Order, on Uber difficulty. Final boss is a bit of a slog but overall it was a great time.

As a pure shooter it's probably the best I've played since the original F.E.A.R (not to mention that it undoubtedly has the best shotgun since that game). The gunplay is precise and violent - enemies reacting physically to every individual bullet - and every weapon is enjoyable to use. Another thumbs up goes to the fact that there's no silly weapon limit, and along with the way the perk system works, it gives the player more encouragement to switch things up.

The stealth also feels pretty good. It isn't particularly robust but it does the job; enemy A.I. is competent enough and their vision cones never felt off. Knife takedowns are appropriately brutal and watching enemies just crumple after a clean silenced headshot never really got old.

What the game is really missing is some sort of Arcade mode just to go around blasting enemies. The guns feel great, and I just want to kill stuff in various challenges with no interference.

Characterization is solid as well. BJ is finely drawn. I think they did about as well as you could to give a gruff, lantern-jawed action hero who butchers scores of people some level of introspection and self-awareness.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
OUT OF THE PARK BASEBALL 16 DEBUTS OFFICIAL MLB LICENSE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/23/out-of-the-park-baseball-16-debuts-official-mlb-license

"Out of the Park Baseball 16 is available to pre-order now for $35, which is $5 off its launch price. Fans who pre-order gain access to the game three days before it's out in March, plus a free Steam key."

I dream for the day these guys can snag the official NFL license for their football title. It's quite silly that they're allowed to have the names of all of the official players, but they have to use fake team names and logos.

Backlogger

OUT OF THE PARK BASEBALL 16 DEBUTS OFFICIAL MLB LICENSE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/23/out-of-the-park-baseball-16-debuts-official-mlb-license

"Out of the Park Baseball 16 is available to pre-order now for $35, which is $5 off its launch price. Fans who pre-order gain access to the game three days before it's out in March, plus a free Steam key."

Spreadsheets the Game (I'm not familiar with this IP, but the trailer reminds me of Earl Weaver Baseball that I played the heck out of when I was 15)

Just beat Wolfenstein New Order...

Great review. I have it on PS4 and not too far into it yet but wanted to echo what you said about how the perk system encourages you to try different things. I'm finding that (so far anyway) this aspect of the game is keeping it interesting for me.

I dream for the day these guys can snag the official NFL license for their football title. It's quite silly that they're allowed to have the names of all of the official players, but they have to use fake team names and logos.
This never usually bothers me, as there's usually a mod that will fix the names upon release.

Annubis

I finally got down to playing the Zhenya DLC in Everlasting Summer.
It's actually great.

It makes you start playing as a Semion that has been looping for decades.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This never usually bothers me, as there's usually a mod that will fix the names upon release.

I greatly look forward to it, then. I know it is a silly thing to get hung up on, but I guess I'm just so used to knowing that Footie Manager is a fairly complete package in terms of team details that I'm kinda sad with the state of the NFL game licencing.

derExperte

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-DFB31E624E196DC5 - Taken by billmcdougal. 3 entrants total.
Cinders -- MB-1BECBF08B10FB104 - Taken by redlacs. 5 entrants total.

t1422055728z1.png

yo

Hinomura

Ok, had one go with Super Galaxy Squadron "getting" to the fourth boss.

I don't get it... it says "it's not a bullet hell" but there are hundreds of enemy bullets on screen. ???

My experience wasn't positive at all... I wasn't having fun and finally during the fourth stage my ship exploded but gfx bugs occurred and then the game didn't stop - had to alt+f4 to force quit...

Cons:

- Played with xinput pad and the player ships move just with the analogue stick - no digital control except for playing with keyobard (or mapping via joy 2 key). :/
- The framerate is not smooth at all
- Enemies and bosses patterns /attacks aren't very interesting
- Mostly everything on screen is a bullets sponge
- Player ship upgrades are very mitigated
- Player special weapon almost unuseful
- Music is potentially annoying (maybe I'm not "feeling it" now...)
- Bugs and overlooks, it seems a very very rushed project, not polished at all

Pros:
- I liked the gfx even if its quality is a bit inconsistent and there are a few bugs (ie starfield over objects and not below)
- There are several ships / game modes which should be theoretically interesting
- Child's Play Charity

I'll play it again and in the case it was just a bad first impression I let you know... meanwhile I hope they'll fix the bugs and the analogue-only control type :/

Anyone else played it?

inm8num2

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

C-Rush -- MB-ABC7584FE115B5CF
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-28BA938DF9A119D9 - Taken by factorone
Vanguard Princess -- MB-5A8822CAB6326CF1 - Taken by mrks

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll have to try this You Have To Win The Game; looks similar to VVVVVVVV.

The game is amazing and probably the best free game I've played on Steam. Spoiler alert for the GOTY results:
I voted for it as one of the 5 best games I played on Steam last year.

Also - Bosstones - congrats man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom