• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does SteamGAF think of Dying Light so far? I trust you all more than anyone for fun games.
The opening cutscene is supercompressed and goes on for several minutes which isn't the best first impression. Wonder why it wasn't in real time. And the first gameplay you see is soaked in chromatic aberation.

I think the 'hold to commit grab' system it has for parkour is really going to fuck me come Mirror's Edge 2 if that plays like the original.
I've broken my knees 20 times at this point. And performance is all over the high 30s-60s Really need to get a second 780ti but that new Titan should be coming out soon....

sprinkles

Yes but you can use steam_appid.txt trick to run it. I'm doing that with Borderlands 2 right now and as far as I can tell everything works*, only thing is that Steam doesn't show me in game but it still counts the playtime. *edit: Or not, can't find any online games.
I used that trick to run the uncut version of Wolfenstein TNO in Germany. The game ran fine, it even clocked my time, but it did not track any achievements.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea that low a price is tempting but prolly not my style of game at all

from what i seen it looked too violent and too ubisoft-y

Deques

Why would you buy yet another zombie game? :)

Seeing this game is published by Warner Bros, wouldn't it be better to buy it after a month? Maybe a huge discount will come :p

Dying Light seems like a great deal at $15, the CIS-RU tag won't come back and bite me in the ass if I buy it, will it? I understand that I also don't need a VPN to redeem the gift even if I live in the ol' US of A?

Dr Dogg

Well this is a bizarre twist but Shovel Knight requires 4 times the GPU grunt that Final Fantasy III does. Granted SK is 60fps while FFIII is only 30fps but I wouldn't think a 3D rendered game would be less than a 2D one.

Both though play flawlessly on my Surface Pro natively without streaming. Seeing as I'm being stupid and not trying to buy anything I'm not super, super psyched for I might actually start making a list of working and playable titles.

Why would you buy yet another zombie game? :)

Seeing this game is published by Warner Bros, wouldn't it be better to buy it after a month? Maybe a huge discount will come :p

You know how it is, people hoover up games featuring Zombies mindlessly without thought kinda like zombies. Eh birds of a feather and all that.

_hekk05

Banned
Dying light performs pretty ok on the ps4. Looks around 50-60 indoors, noticeably lesser fps outdoors though.

My potato laptop probably can't even run it so I'm ok with this

writing is pretty terribad.
lol i dropped out of the sky and one of your guys died to save me and nobody asks where I came from since I'm obviously not local and no one is suspicious I have a fetish for my radio and whoa I just woke up from a 3 day coma and all of a sudden I'm parkouring!

Knurek

Well this is a bizarre twist but Shovel Knight requires 4 times the GPU grunt that Final Fantasy III does. Granted SK is 60fps while FFIII is only 30fps but I wouldn't think a 3D rendered game would be less than a 2D one.

Ever since DX8 (IIRC) there's no 2D on PC. Everything is rendered as a 3D (it's just that 2D stuff has z coord set to 0).
Also, doesn't FFIII runs at 15 fps?

_hekk05

Banned
Isn't it 30fps on consoles?

Was I just really tired? lol I have no idea. I tried the game at like 3am

I'll be happier if I won't be able to tell the difference between 30 and 60, but there's noticeable judder outdoors. That's pretty bad isn't it?

Dr Dogg

Ever since DX8 (IIRC) there's no 2D on PC. Everything is rendered as a 3D (it's just that 2D stuff has z coord set to 0).
Also, doesn't FFIII runs at 15 fps?

You know exactly what I mean. FFIII runs at 30fps throughout but only uses between 10-20% GPU usage where are Shovel Knight can get upto 90% but averages at 80% GPU usage but stays at 60fps throughout and both are OpenGL. Messing around with rendering resolution on both has a linear effect on GPU usage. When looking at the end result of each and what they're presenting on screen it makes me wonder what's going on in Shovel Knight to require that much extra power (in an inquisitive way of course).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I am so happy that they managed to include the fantastic Brazilian dub in Grim Fandango Remastered, yesss. Last time I checked it wasn't confirmed if they could and if it was absent it would be close to a deal breaker for me.

Knurek

You know exactly what I mean. FFIII runs at 30fps throughout but only uses between 10-20% GPU usage where are Shovel Knight can get upto 90% but averages at 80% GPU usage but stays at 60fps throughout and both are OpenGL. Messing around with rendering resolution on both has a linear effect on GPU usage. When looking at the end result of each and what they're presenting on screen it makes me wonder what's going on in Shovel Knight to require that much extra power (in an inquisitive way of course).

I don't have either of them, but I suspect Shovel Knight is using extensive postprocessing to simulate the NES/TV screen.
Something that Retroarch does, and few of shaders available for the emulator can bring even my 750Ti to it's knees.
Interesting that both games use OpenGL instead of D3D...

zkylon

zkylewd
edited: Way of the Samurai 4 delayed until February now officially.
News are 5 days old, I have no idea how could I've missed it.

boo

anyone played it anyways?

i used to like the first one a lot but it sounds like it's became goofier and less focused with new installments?

Arthea

boo

anyone played it anyways?

i used to like the first one a lot but it sounds like it's became goofier and less focused with new installments?

I haven't played this one yet that's why I'm so happy it's releasing on steam.
It is goofy! in a weird and good way, that's the whole point of wanting to play it, 4th I mean. Well not all point but most of it anyway. (><)

Dr Dogg

I don't have either of them, but I suspect Shovel Knight is using extensive postprocessing to simulate the NES/TV screen.
Something that Retroarch does, and few of shaders available for the emulator can bring even my 750Ti to it's knees.
Interesting that both games use OpenGL instead of D3D...

Yatch Club did a couple of articles on Gamasutra going over the look and feel of Shovel Knight and how closely they stuck to the limitations of the NES (and how they cheated slightly). I'd imagine it's lots and lots of layering and blending going on but being OpenGL and not able to get a frame dump with GeDoSaTo it's way beyond my ability to have a snoop around.

To be fair on FFIII it's a port of a mobile port of a DS game and done by DotEMU so it was never going to be the most demanding game ever. Also you'll notice a a fair few smaller titles either targeting Mac and Linux as well as stuff using Unity have a OpenGL renderer. From junk like Unearthed to more accomplished games like Transistor are OpenGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom