• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Yatch Club did a couple of articles on Gamasutra going over the look and feel of Shovel Knight and how closely they stuck to the limitations of the NES (and how they cheated slightly). I'd imagine it's lots and lots of layering and blending going on but being OpenGL and not able to get a frame dump with GeDoSaTo it's way beyond my ability to have a snoop around.

To be fair on FFIII it's a port of a mobile port of a DS game and done by DotEMU so it was never going to be the most demanding game ever. Also you'll notice a a fair few smaller titles either targeting Mac and Linux as well as stuff using Unity have a OpenGL renderer. From junk like Unearthed to more accomplished games like Transistor are OpenGL.

Transistor is very demanding for some reason, though, not on the level of Talos Principle, no, but it is, also it has weird resolution and being not at the centre of the screen in full screen mode (or any mode tbh) issue.

Arthea

Loot Hunter is a pirate sim, mostly economic one as you are out to get rich, filthy rich of course, with some twist. The twist being that you have match three combat. That's not so original these days if not the fact that there are no combos in this game, only matches you do yourself count what makes it play very different from other genre mixes with match 3. The game is fairly easy and relaxing, also fun to play.
There is trading, rather extensive, side quests and certainly hidden pirate treasure hunting, no pirate game is complete without it. There are skills to buy, lands to acquire, riches to get and ships to plunder. What else one can want?

fantomena

Pix the Cat for PC is jsut as good as the Vita version which I played to death.

No embargo either, so Im gonna try to make a video for it today.

Arthea

Pix the Cat for PC is jsut as good as the Vita version which I played to death.

No embargo either, so Im gonna try to make a video for it today.

I would buy it no questions asked, it looks great and I haven't played it before, but timing is very wrong... because of Nep Nep, unless Pix is really cheap. How much is it on VIta btw?

Is it slow day today or what?

I got the Vita version through PS+, so don't know the price, but I can't imagine it being more than 10$ though.

that's much more than I'm willing to pay right after Nep nep tho

fantomena

I would buy it no questions asked, it looks great and I haven't played it before, but timing is very wrong... because of Nep Nep, unless Pix is really cheap. How much is it on VIta btw?

I got the Vita version through PS+, so don't know the price, but I can't imagine it being more than 10$ though.

Knurek

Yatch Club did a couple of articles on Gamasutra going over the look and feel of Shovel Knight and how closely they stuck to the limitations of the NES (and how they cheated slightly). I'd imagine it's lots and lots of layering and blending going on but being OpenGL and not able to get a frame dump with GeDoSaTo it's way beyond my ability to have a snoop around.

If only Valve didn't antagonize seemingly the only person on the planet capable of writing an OpenGL debugger... If only...

To be fair on FFIII it's a port of a mobile port of a DS game and done by DotEMU so it was never going to be the most demanding game ever. Also you'll notice a a fair few smaller titles either targeting Mac and Linux as well as stuff using Unity have a OpenGL renderer. From junk like Unearthed to more accomplished games like Transistor are OpenGL.

That's actually bad news for Team Red folk... Unless something changed in the last year, ATI's implementation of OpenGL is bad. Not Android level bad, but nevertheless bad.

Arthea

Yes, 2 days and 5 hours. Which leaves me about 1.5 days to play Nep-Nep @.@

good luck with that!
I think it took me more than 30 hours or so, not this version, but original one

Here is some leftovers, i hope that keys still works!
And happy birthday for me (32 years is no joke, ouch)
http://new4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Where+did+sally+go+after+the+explosions+_ed92bab8a0af810fa00b06572cbd957e.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Happy birthday!
[SPOILER]still a joke, no worries ;)[/SPOILER]

KainXVIII

Where+did+sally+go+after+the+explosions+_ed92bab8a0af810fa00b06572cbd957e.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for KainXVIII:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KainXVIII, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deponia -- MB-769058F327ED62E6 - Taken by mrks. 9 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-0369ED116AFB9B1A - Taken by rrvv. 4 entrants total.
PAYDAY 2 Lycanwulf and The One Below Masks -- MB-DD38F21E9B76C68B - Taken by Chreznor. 1 entrants total.
REALMS OF THE HAUNTING -- MB-4AE602F95A20AB6D - Taken by Polishin8r - Taken by billmcdougal. 3 entrants total.
Teleglitch Die More Edition -- MB-32C49EFE85293E5E - Taken by okiemok. 2 entrants total.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-DD72189AC6C93DFD - Taken by Sch1sm. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Thief Gold was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for PAYDAY 2 Lycanwulf and The One Below Masks was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for REALMS OF THE HAUNTING was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Teleglitch Die More Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1422460420z1.png

Knurek

Where+did+sally+go+after+the+explosions+_ed92bab8a0af810fa00b06572cbd957e.gif

You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older.
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south,
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man,
All alone and dying of cancer.

Getting tired of that PBF image macro, so I'm trying something different this time

redlacs

Loot Hunter is a pirate sim, mostly economic one as you are out to get rich, filthy rich of course, with some twist. The twist being that you have match three combat. That's not so original these days if not the fact that there are no combos in this game, only matches you do yourself count what makes it play very different from other genre mixes with match 3. The game is fairly easy and relaxing, also fun to play.
There is trading, rather extensive, side quests and certainly hidden pirate treasure hunting, no pirate game is complete without it. There are skills to buy, lands to acquire, riches to get and ships to plunder.

interesting, call me grumpy ol pirate but i found no fun in this game whatsoever. there is no real importance in trading. lands you gain are also as important and useful as umbrella indoors. sometimes you can stare on the combat screen all day with no real solution for beating the high level ships so it fails as a puzzler. sadly its just a game of infinite fetch quests. difficulty 2/10. with that being said, the price just seems wrong to me. for example Tidalis was masterpiece in comparison, even with the creepy-ass characters

also, the game has quickload/quicksave which can superspoil any little-to-none survival tone the game has. well, use it anyway, you never know when youre gonna get stuck on shore with no way back (bug)

What else one can want?

path tracing for starters.

sorry, but with calling this "adventure/action/strategy/RPG/simulation" (store tags) we may as well call Pac-man a open-world racing game where you dont want the boogeymen to overtake you and kill you in the process

Loot Hunter it a casual match-3 game with pirates. nothing more, nothing less

Arthea

You know it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder as you get older.
And in the end you'll pack up and fly down south,
Hide your head in the sand,
Just another sad old man,
All alone and dying of cancer.

Getting tired of that PBF image macro, so I'm trying something different this time

how is this better than that pic?
not funny, Knurek, not funny at all (._.)

There is trading, rather extensive, side quests and certainly hidden pirate treasure hunting, no pirate game is complete without it. There are skills to buy, lands to acquire, riches to get and ships to plunder. What else one can want?

Cool. I've wish listed it so I can buy it once I hit the lottery (or sale or bundled.)

But wait a minute! Does that mean I can't even set up my own combos, like if I do a match that I can see would cause a dropdown to match 3 more, do the 3 stay there until I match more with them? Do they not drop down at all? Or do they go away but I get no points for them? How does that work exactly?

Arthea

interesting, call me grumpy ol pirate but i found no fun in this game whatsoever. there is no real importance in trading. lands you gain are also as important and useful as umbrella indoors. sometimes you can stare on the combat screen all day with no real solution for beating the high level ships so it fails as a puzzler. sadly its just a game of infinite fetch quests. difficulty 2/10. with that being said, the price just seems wrong to me. for example Tidalis was masterpiece in comparison, even with the creepy-ass characters

also, the game has quickload/quicksave which can superspoil any little-to-none survival tone the game has. well, use it anyway, you never know when youre gonna get stuck on shore with no way back (bug)

path tracing for starters.

sorry, but with calling this "adventure/action/strategy/RPG/simulation" (store tags) we may as well call Pac-man a open-world racing game where you dont want the boogeymen to overtake you and kill you in the process

Loot Hunter it a casual match-3 game with pirates. nothing more, nothing less
you aren't very fair here, it's not a great game and I didn't say it is, but I never got stuck and if you can't move, you just need to move at the different angle in those instances, it's annoying yea, but there is always a way back.
Path tracing? Why would you even need that?
About no real importance of goals. It's a game we are talking about? What importance collecting feathers or finding pigeons or collecting scraps of paper or even killing millions zombies have? You don't find this game fun, fine, but the way you try to objectify it is wrong imo.
Tidalis is no good!, no bad but worse than this game for sure.

Now for high level ships, if you try to take on some ship ten levels higher than you, why do you even expect to win?

It is a casual game and a casual game is not a swear word you know, there is need for such games too. These help me relax much more than any other type of the game for example.

also pacman is a walking simulator, very fast walking sim, that's settled (><)

But wait a minute! Does that mean I can't even set up my own combos, like if I do a match that I can see would cause a dropdown to match 3 more, do the 3 stay there until I match more with them? Do they not drop down at all? Or do they go away but I get no points for them? How does that work exactly?

they drop, but no combos at all of any kind, and they don't clear, all you do while matching - counts, nothing that board does is of any significance, but you still can plan ahead only you have to think and plan differently.
edited: btw there are equitable skills that can make all the difference in the world too.

Turfster

2 days til life is strange is released rite?

Yep. Wonder when GMG will get keys.

Gamersgate has DiRT3 & DiRT Showdown 75% off

Amazon has Virtua Tennis 4 & Viking 75% off

Clusterpuck 99 keys available for IR Apollo
Yelaxot keys available for Groupees CotW:USA
Bret Airborne keys available for IR Debut 5
Project Night keys are being added to Groupees BMX

Volcynika

No plans means later when we feel like announcing it.

Yeah. 'No plans' is just leaving the door open should they announce it. Like when Atlus USA said they had no plans on localizing Catherine at the time, then announced it like a couple weeks later. Though, this was after people freaked the hell out and thought 'no plans' meant 'never'. Learn the world of PR speak!

Dr Dogg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom