• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Neptunia related.

8BbsUob.png

http://forum.ideafintl.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1285994836&postcount=7

Just do it like Ubisoft and throw some buggy mess on the market, goddamnit.

Forgot one from Yesterday. Fantastic tower defense/action/lite-rpg hybrid. Don't let the fact that it's been Bundled to Death put you off.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves -- MB-B6A68AB59ACCBC54 - Taken by lindarasta

Ozium

Bot Colony getting pulled from Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/263040/announcements/detail/139944866943306342

I am very sad to announce that we will have to shut down Bot Colony due to lack of sales. Bot Colony sales are so low we can't even cover the cost of running the servers that run the Natural Language Understanding software - which is $524 per month (so we don't even sell 2 units per day, which would enable us to keep the servers running).

I realize that some of you paid money to buy a game that will soon be impossible to play - because it requires online servers that cost money to keep running, while no money comes in.

I have advised Steam of the situation, and Bot Colony is no longer available to buy - in order to minimize the fallout when it will stop. We will keep the servers running until March 15, to give you enough time to enjoy the game that you bought. I hope you'll consider this fair.

game will be unplayable after March 15...

great.

edit: what are the chances of steam refunding me my cot damn GEMS?

derExperte

Time to watch http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-bot-colony-07-10-2014/2300-9206/ again.

To give you some figures, the NLU technology powering Bot Colony cost some $20M and many years to develop. It is probably one of the best NLU technologies available in the world today. The game itself probably cost another $2M - $3M.

Wow, that's.... expensive. And sad, seems that he and others put A LOT of time and money into this.

Also can I still somehow buy it through some trick? Yes, to make huge profits.

That's all the Bot Colony I need.

That's probably what everyone thought.

Momentary

Banned
Not only is Dead or Alive being pushed back... it still has a 3 month window for online modes to be implemented. Sure would be awesome for Xrd to just pop up and fill that date gap as a surprise.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Not only is Dead or Alive being pushed back... it still has a 3 month window for online modes to be implemented. Sure would be awesome for Xrd to just pop up and fill that date gap as a surprise.

That's not how that company works tho. Expect the game 2016 or 2017. *chuckles*

saving into registry is the easy built-in method to do saves that unity uses

back when i used unity it was actually pretty annoying to implement something other than that (tho i managed to save into a txt so it's possible)

lyne is a student project afaik so i'm guessing the dev just couldn't get it done for some reason, which is weird cos that game is super competent and for sure better than anything i've ever done

Unity is a mess. Wow.

Saving to the registry is so bone-headed. I mean, yes, it's probably to avoid any problem with file permissions.. but man! I can't think of a more anti-player save solution than this.

That's exactly what I am stuck on! (Although maybe there are more doors to open later)

Nothing makes me feel like a dummy like adventure games.

If it's the same puzzle as mine, I'll say this: the solution is obvious in retrospect.

Really, all of the Wadjet Eye games except maybe Primordia have been pretty good with their puzzles. They're all adventure game-y but still well within the logic of the setting. And to be fair, Primordia only annoyed me because of how it handles the endings.

Time to watch http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-bot-colony-07-10-2014/2300-9206/ again.

Wow, that's.... expensive. And sad, seems that he and others put A LOT of time and money into this.

Also can I still somehow buy it through some trick? Yes, to make huge profits.

That's probably what everyone thought.
Bot Colony is such a half-functional, broken game... the dev was foolhardy to expect such a poorly-executed product to sustain servers like that. The basis of the entire thing - the voice recognition stuff - could barely grasp anything the player said, let alone parse the commands into something usable. It's an OK proof of concept, but a far cry from a full-fledged retail project.

Giant Bomb's videos cover the game extensively, though some are premium (subscription required) content. And yes, those videos are totally worth it.

Vinagawa McCaravellaburgito.

Turfster

Unity is a mess. Wow.

Saving to the registry is so bone-headed. I mean, yes, it's probably to avoid any problem with file permissions.. but man! I can't think of a more anti-player save solution than this.
Yep, and it's the one they teach to all new users.
Because files r hard!
I blame OSX and its fucking mac bullshit

Bot Colony is such a half-functional, broken game... the dev was foolhardy to expect such a poorly-executed product to sustain servers like that.

You'd think that if your 20 million dollar language recognition software was that great, you could sell actually SRSBSNS soft that uses it and recoup your losses.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Fly'n -- MB-F157ABE4C64081FC - Taken by lindarasta
99 Spirits -- MB-AB2820F39BBDA4D4 - Taken by FauX
Poof vs the Cursed Kitty -- MB-BF55E25BFD2B2A1F - Taken by darkchewie
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves -- MB-AB9C8AB6491A6BA5 - Taken by autoduelist
This dope-ass game is Canadian as hell
Robot Rescue Revolution -- MB-B257F66307578BF7 - Taken by Bayonetta
LEVEL 22 -- MB-06A370661F3E7AA6 - Taken by rainking187

Teeth

i like you

Someday Capcom will wake up and realize that they can make money off of products they develop and actually port Monster Hunter to Steam.

EDIT: I wonder if Grief.exe could do one of those GAF campaigns to motivate Capcom into doing something smart for their bottom line. I wonder if one of the reasons they don't do it is because PC is such a dead platform in Japan, and they don't think Western audiences like Monster Hunter games. Like it's just an awareness issue. I believe that there is a distinct shift in the audience that plays PC games, and while there is a lot of overlap, I think the MH games would do better (comparatively) on Steam than they would on any of the major 3 platforms in Western countries.

Just a feeling.

autoduelist

Hmm. I'm plenty fine playing it ascii, but if the interface is nice I don't mind paying for a front end.

Does anyone know what version of Nethack it's using? And whether it has plans to support the new version coming out [someday] that was leaked/announced in September?

Forgot one from Yesterday. Fantastic tower defense/action/lite-rpg hybrid. Don't let the fact that it's been Bundled to Death put you off.

Wow. Looks cool. Sorry I missed whatever bundles it's in.

QUICK EDIT - oh, it's in another giveaway... modbot, please be good to me

EDIT - thank you modbot. you have my sword.

Corpekata

Banned
Hmm. I'm plenty fine playing it ascii, but if the interface is nice I don't mind paying for a front end.

Does anyone know what version of Nethack it's using? And whether it has plans to support the new version coming out [someday] that was leaked/announced in September?

Wow. Looks cool. Sorry I missed whatever bundles it's in.

QUICK EDIT - oh, it's in another giveaway... modbot, please be good to me

EDIT - thank you modbot. you have my sword.

Dev answered that in the Steam forums, but yes, they plan to update when and if Nethack is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom