• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel81

Yup, the game only explains the bare necessities and it's enough to complete it but you'll likely miss out on a lot of info and content. It's better the second time around after having read some of the wiki, not to mention much less punishing.
Things I had missed: Ash Lake, The Painted World, and the Artorias of the Abyss DLC

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Massively late to the party but just noticed the activity feed has got the blue makeover treatment... along with the hideously compressed jpg background images the store has too. These are the offending articles in question.

I'm half tempted to custom CSS them out of existence, or if I can be bothered make something a tad more prettier.

I really would have thought that since the "blue" update has been live for quite a while now that Valve would have sorted that out. I was able to create a pretty convincing CSS replacement for the store pages, but ran into difficulties when I tried to composite the CSS with the pre-existing images for the store page backgrounds.

For example, this is what they have for The Walking Dead, Season 2:

page_bg_generated_v6.jpg

So they're basically laying the "blue" background (artifacts and all) over a screenshot of the game. So my options with Enhanced Steam are a) leave out the "image" part of the background which is difficult to see anyway, or b) try to construct the composition using a combination of CSS and the image file. Leaving it out completely is obviously easier, and still makes the pages look great but not quite as fleshed out as before. Correctly aligning the background image and laying CSS over the top of it in such as way as to not have strong horizontals between that and the regular CSS proved quite difficult.

Oof...yup.

Banzai Pecan is still awful.
Steam is like a breeding ground for bad beatemups (exceptions are Phantom Breaker, Capcom's D&D games, and to a lesser extent, Double Dragon Neon)

zkylon

zkylewd
If we were on the same server I would've ask you to play some day. Always see your steam screenshots :D

i'm leveling a na account but it takes forever and i'm so terrible at high ping. much terribler at least

you shuold come to league thread, not enough good ppl there ;_;

derExperte

So LYNE uses the Windows registry for its saves. Which means I lost all progress with my reinstall last year. Why would any dev do that?

Chariot

i'm leveling a na account but it takes forever and i'm so terrible at high ping. much terribler at least

you shuold come to league thread, not enough good ppl there ;_;
Why are you playing on NA with high ping? If you are from EUW then we could play.
And nah, not going into the thread, I would only be interested in you anyways.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

THE INGENIOUS MACHINE -- MB-F9E78ACEE32FE5BB - Taken by Lomax
Star Nomad -- MB-756332671993AA94 - Taken by Kurt Russell
Fake Colours -- MB-88D9F7E35638F612 - Taken by Bayonetta
Fist of Jesus -- MB-F63D77529A7622B3 - Taken by nja
. Keys should be good.

So LYNE uses the Windows registry for its saves. Which means I lost all progress with my reinstall last year. Why would any dev do that?

Yeah it's pretty dumb. If you read the thread in the community discussions about it, the dev says he figured out how to do cloud saves, but he's only going to do it for future games, not LYNE. In order to appease everyone, he just added some codes you can use to unlock everything. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Why are you playing on NA with high ping? If you are from EUW then we could play.
im from south america, but trying to play with neogaf na friends, then getting too stressed cos they're diamond and shit and i'm no good in like performance situations so constantly messing up lol
And nah, not going into the thread, I would only be interested in you anyways.
<3
When LoL adds Regina you can call on me.
not enough dinosaurs in league

Backlogger

Massively late to the party but just noticed the activity feed has got the blue makeover treatment... along with the hideously compressed jpg background images the store has too. These are the offending articles in question.

I'm half tempted to custom CSS them out of existence, or if I can be bothered make something a tad more prettier.

I don't hate it, I'm okay wit the blue, but something about the gradient effects of the bg image bothers me to no end. Maybe its the compression as you are pointing out, but i prefer bg images to be more subtle (or just a solid color)

Dr Dogg

I really would have thought that since the "blue" update has been live for quite a while now that Valve would have sorted that out. I was able to create a pretty convincing CSS replacement for the store pages, but ran into difficulties when I tried to composite the CSS with the pre-existing images for the store page backgrounds.

For example, this is what they have for The Walking Dead, Season 2:

So they're basically laying the "blue" background (artifacts and all) over a screenshot of the game. So my options with Enhanced Steam are a) leave out the "image" part of the background which is difficult to see anyway, or b) try to construct the composition using a combination of CSS and the image file. Leaving it out completely is obviously easier, and still makes the pages look great but not quite as fleshed out as before. Correctly aligning the background image and laying CSS over the top of it in such as way as to not have strong horizontals between that and the regular CSS proved quite difficult.

I went and had a look at the cascade and it's layers and layers and layers on top one another. What's really bizarre is that most of the new blue stuff is save as png's, some with transparencies and are all manageable file sizes and good quality. But the two that take the most screen real estate are poorly managed jpg's. I mean here's 30 seconds work at cleaning them up and not optimising for file sizes.
While the top section has ballooned in size the repeating section, and the most important one is slightly smaller in size and both are visibly cleaner using nothing more than a 5px gaussian blur.

I'm sure someone will get to it eventually ha! Still their CSS was nice and easy to read :p

Jawmuncher

The worst thing about th iOS port of FF6 isn't the graphics (which honestly look fine after awhile. It's the damn controls. God damn that virtual dpad sucks. didnt have this issue with 1-3 on iOS. At least we know if it comes to PC it will be fine.
Odd that they don't seem to want to put any of the 2D games up though.

That's crazy. Did the dev ever explain why he implemented it that way?

Started Gemini Rue. Got stuck on like the first puzzle.

Damn adventure games.
I stopped playing it for a while (months) because I couldn't figure out how to open a door.

Great game, though. Persevere!

Kiru

I heard OAuth is back, dunno if true ?:
"OAuth is back also on indiegala. they give u the choice between generating a OAuth link or get the serial but it's a permanent choice"
some dude in a chat, seems to be the same guy from here

Teggy

I stopped playing it for a while (months) because I couldn't figure out how to open a door.

Great game, though. Persevere!

That's exactly what I am stuck on! (Although maybe there are more doors to open later)

Nothing makes me feel like a dummy like adventure games.

Coreda

That's exactly what I am stuck on! (Although maybe there are more doors to open later)

Nothing makes me feel like a dummy like adventure games.

Whenever I've been stuck on something that's more annoying than it's worth I use a walkthrough. Can remember I used one several times in that game. I'd rather enjoy the experience than be stuck.

Dr Dogg

Aaaand with about 2 minutes more effort artefacts be gone. Using Copons' Dolphin posts in my activity feed as an example (sorry chap).
Original Horrible Mess said:
Quick Clean Up Job said:
There's actually several blue gradient backgrounds (the one in game pages, login screen and active feed are different to the storefront) but even being slightly lighter it still looks waaaay more pleasing on the eye for me.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hmmmm can I buy a gift copy of Life is Strange on GMG?
EDIT: YAYS
3756614cd8.png

One lucky gaffer will get the game whenever I get the key.
Life Is Strange looks more attractive with that 25% off. Brings it to >$15 for EPs 1-5. Hmm.

13.50 with the actual discount it has on.

Coreda

Replace the top title with "Walking Simulators" and the bottom with "Adventure Games" and you'll sum up my feelings on it.

There's skill-based difficultly and then there's difficulty because things are deliberately obfuscated to pad out the experience. It seems part and parcel with point and click games, but I play them more for the atmosphere and whathaveyou than the annoying elements. Recently finished Detective Case which has design decisions that unnecessarily increase the playtime although some would say it's what they like about the genre.

Recently finished Detective Case which has design decisions that unnecessarily increase the playtime although some would say it's what they like about the genre.

Yeah, don't get me started on Detective Case. (Although the developer shows up in SteamGAF from time to time. He's an okay guy and we agree to disagree.)

zkylon

zkylewd
That's crazy. Did the dev ever explain why he implemented it that way?

saving into registry is the easy built-in method to do saves that unity uses

back when i used unity it was actually pretty annoying to implement something other than that (tho i managed to save into a txt so it's possible)

lyne is a student project afaik so i'm guessing the dev just couldn't get it done for some reason, which is weird cos that game is super competent and for sure better than anything i've ever done

louiedog

Ugh. This is making me really sad that A) playfire still hasn't been able to get my credit to transfer to my GMG account (long story) and B) especially not when it was ~$14 from the VIP section where I could have used it.

Turfster

GMG needs to get Life is Strange keys already so my food moneycopy can start preloading!
(Will there be a preload? who knows)

whats the final price n life is strange?

with like stacking discounts and stuff i mean?

13.5<your currency here>

Squenix Store has Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris 33% off with free copy of Tomb Raider!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom