• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Didn't the older Indigo Prophecy have some trouble running on some newer machines?

I thought part of the point of the remaster was to optimize it for modern day PCs, as I heard the original game had optimization issues and had trouble running on newer computers.

MUnited83

For you.
ZsAzPnk.png

Get hype!

zkylon

zkylewd
all i remember out of indigo prophecy is that it had one of hte best first scenes ever in a videogame and that the qte's were harder the higher your resolution was (tho maybe this was some weird piracy bug... this game is really really old)

Dr Dogg

OMG!!! Dragon's Dogma Online looks awesome!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981608

If I have to learn Japanese so be it.

Steam reviews ripping HoMM3 HD to shreds? Steam reviews ripping HoMM3 HD to shreds.
It boggles my mind why DotEmu keeps getting all those port jobs.

Cheap and quick I guess. Their results are wildly inconsistent. At least HoMM3 still has a cracking version available and on GOG where as FFIV is 15fps battles or nothing. Seeing as they also did FFVII I wonder if they have a hand in the PS4 port? Be a shame for the console folks to miss out on the 'fun' mobile and PC folks have had with their releases.

Miguel81

This game has helped me get out of my gaming slump. I hope the winner will get much enjoyment out of it as I have. Good Luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dante81, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Resident Evil HD Remaster -- MB-416C78EF665C94DF - Taken by Casimir. 36 entrants total.

t1422521829z1.png

Knurek

What's wrong with HoMMHD? Was about to jump on it.

Just the base game, no expansions available on GOG. Missing a faction added in one of the expansions.
Bad multiplayer, reviews mention it's literally unplayable.
Doesn't look any better than the HD Mod for GOG release.

Shadownet

Banned
If there is one thing I hate the most in video game, it has to be weapon/armor durability.

In some game, they work just fine. The Last of Us for example. I would say Dark Souls but I haven't gotten really far into the game yet.

But playing Dying Light and a steel pipe should not be breaking after 5-7 hits to a zombie.

Maybe after killing 5-7 zombies, it should be showing signs of breaking but not 5-7 hits.

This bothers me in most RPG too that I have to constantly run back to town just to get it repair. Though there are games that let you repair on the spot, thank god.

Games that once your weapon break, there is no way of repairing it, all you can do is make scraps out of it. Fuck those games.

Honestly only survival games like The Forest/Minecraft, etc or super hardcore games like Dark Souls should have it. If I have a super kick-ass flaming sword of the fire god. I want it to last forever.

Or until I find the next best thing.

/end rant.

Just the base game, no expansions available on GOG. Missing a faction added in one of the expansions.
Bad multiplayer, reviews mention it's literally unplayable.
Doesn't look any better than the HD Mod for GOG release.
Ah, that's a bummer. Thanks for saving me from my impulsive nature :p

zkylon

zkylewd
If there is one thing I hate the most in video game, it has to be weapon/armor durability.

In some game, they work just fine. The Last of Us for example. I would say Dark Souls but I haven't gotten really far into the game yet.

But playing Dying Light and a steel pipe should not be breaking after 5-7 hits to a zombie.

Maybe after killing 5-7 zombies, it should be showing signs of breaking but not 5-7 hits.

This bothers me in most RPG too that I have to constantly run back to town just to get it repair. Though there are games that let you repair on the spot, thank god.

Games that once your weapon break, there is no way of repairing it, all you can do is make scraps out of it. Fuck those games.

Honestly only survival games like The Forest/Minecraft, etc or super hardcore games like Dark Souls should have it. If I have a super kick-ass flaming sword of the fire god. I want it to last forever.

Or until I find the next best thing.

/end rant.

depends on the game i guess

i really liked it in like dead rising cos it kept u doing silly things with random shit you found

i think it becomes really annoying when it's tied to complex stat based rpg crafting mechanics or whatever

Speevy

Banned
Shadownet, I agree. I hate weapon breakage. I think they do it in DS more to showcase the corrosive enemies or the extremely brittle weapons.

However, I could have done without those guys that basically explode that stuff onto you, and then get up to do it again.

Shadownet

Banned
depends on the game i guess

i really liked it in like dead rising cos it kept u doing silly things with random shit you found

i think it becomes really annoying when it's tied to complex stat based rpg crafting mechanics or whatever
Yeah I never had a problem with durability with dead rising cause you can always experiment with new weapons and find something cool. And if you want to make more of your favorites, its not hard to find the part.

But in Dying Light, the protag can only take like 5-6 swings before he become completely winded and throw in that most weapons break between 5-10 hits. You're constantly looking for new weapons and running. Cause with normal weapons 5-6 hits isn't even enough to take down a normal zombie. Damn sponge.

I love my Tales JRPG games. No durability or anything. Skyrim didn't have it either, loved it.

I think that's is primarily the reason I never really gave Kingdom of Amalur a chance because of the durability mechanic. I saw it and was like nope. Not going to deal with this... I'm probably being unfair... But I'll give it another try sometime.

Btw the combat in Dying Light somehow feel sorta less satisfying than in Dead Island.. Like its sorta hit and miss..

With Dead Island I know for sure where on the zombie's body I'm aiming at. But with Dying Light.. I'm pretty sure most of my head shots hit the upper body instead. Its janky.

@speevy: oh fun I get to look forward to those guys when I get back into that game. Enemies 101

Guys that run straight at you, explode and deal some damage-over-time to you or slow you down and make you bait for the rest.

PS. Fallout is another series that I never had a problem with durability.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think it boils down to whether breaking weapons lead to interesting situations or not

since a huge part of dead rising is finding new ways of killing zombies, weapon breaks naturally leads to you discovering other weapons and essentially having more fun with how the game overall is

i'm guessing weapons aren't too different from one another in dying light other than status effects and like swing speed and reach and whatnot, and since your weapon is tied to your progression in an essentially rpg-ish game, having your progression be gone is not really what the game's core is about

also btw durability is a generally shitty if innocuous mechanic in dark souls

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Indigo Prophecy? Remastered? Holy shit where did that come from? If it's been known I really am out of the loop this year

Grief.exe

I have Indigo Prophecy on GOG, will that get the HD update too?

Doubtful as Aspyr seems to have put a good deal of effort into this one.

Yeah I never had a problem with durability with dead rising cause you can always experiment with new weapons and find something cool. And if you want to make more of your favorites, its not hard to find the part.

But in Dying Light, the protag can only take like 5-6 swings before he become completely winded and throw in that most weapons break between 5-10 hits. You're constantly looking for new weapons and running. Cause with normal weapons 5-6 hits isn't even enough to take down a normal zombie. Damn sponge.

I love my Tales JRPG games. No durability or anything. Skyrim didn't have it either, loved it.

I think that's is primarily the reason I never really gave Kingdom of Amalur a chance because of the durability mechanic. I saw it and was like nope. Not going to deal with this... I'm probably being unfair... But I'll give it another try sometime.

Btw the combat in Dying Light somehow feel sorta less satisfying than in Dead Island.. Like its sorta hit and miss..

With Dead Island I know for sure where on the zombie's body I'm aiming at. But with Dying Light.. I'm pretty sure most of my head shots hit the upper body instead. Its janky.

@speevy: oh fun I get to look forward to those guys when I get back into that game. Enemies 101

Guys that run straight at you, explode and deal some damage-over-time to you or slow you down and make you bait for the rest.

PS. Fallout is another series that I never had a problem with durability.

You sure there aren't skills that give you more accurate strikes and slow the degradation?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Everyone wants a piece of that David Cage action, except for Knurek. Also, I just noticed it has me there in the list... why do I need to see what I put on my own wishlist, Steam? That's so silly~

iBZDCvKMV86U6.png

Miguel81

Dark Cloud for the PS2 was the worst when it came to weapon durability. Skipped out on the sequel because the first was such a drag. A good thing Level-5 redeemed themselves with the great Dragon Quest VIII.

Edit: Maybe I should have mentioned from the games I have played, it's the worst.

autoduelist

isthereanydeal just trolled me and sent me an email that Blackguards was $0.00 on Origin. It's not.

Dark Cloud for the PS2 was the worst when it came to weapon durability. Skipped out on the sequel because the first was such a drag. A good thing Level-5 redeemed themselves with the great Dragon Quest VIII.

I'm pretty sure Riveria is the worst. Every weapon has a fixed number of uses. Taking anything into battle feels awful. Still a worthwhile play though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Do we know if the key has any activation limit (VPN required)? I know Deep Silver tends to go the distance with that. I'd be willing to grab you a code for a paypal exchange~

The game is a Steamworks game correct? Don't see any mention of a Steam key on the page, but I presume it is.

Yep, they squeeze it at the very bottom of the page but it does say Steam is required.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone wants a piece of that David Cage action, except for Knurek. Also, I just noticed it has me there in the list... why do I need to see what I put on my own wishlist, Steam? That's so silly~

Touch my box went ahead and bought the game. So he's ahead of us.

Other than the awful title choice, Grey Goo seems to be promising. Has anyone here played a bit of it?

Corpekata

Banned
IIRC it's only like Namco and Deep Silver that have keys that are problematic outside of the US when buying on sites like Amazon and Gamestop, so likely in the clear on Ryse.

Do we know if the key has any activation limit (VPN required)? I know Deep Silver tends to go the distance with that. I'd be willing to grab you a code for a paypal exchange~

Yep, they squeeze it at the very bottom of the page but it does say Steam is required.

Ah I see it now, thanks!

EDIT: Went ahead and ordered a copy, been wanting to play this game for a while and at $10 I couldn't pass it up. The site wanted to hang at the checkout process but it finally went through to PayPal, and my account says "pending", haven't ordered from GS digitally before so I hope it doesn't take too long to send the key.

Deques

I thought that you are only eligible to new booster packs if you have logged in once with Steam client. I just got one today, I haven't logged in to my account in 4 days

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered -- MB-76FFD7B80118D2BA - Taken by FLD. 50 entrants total.

t1422520389z1.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Don't forget the _
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bayonetta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Terrian Saga: KR-17 -- MB-E76DAC647E90FC27 - Taken by Milamber Trivia Question: What was my previous username?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift #3 -- MB-88E1698343F97ECC - Taken by Speevy
Mystery Gift #2 -- MB-14523C7510FFF615 - Taken by Bayonetta
Mystery Gift -- MB-8DF491C9B6EA566C - Taken by NightmareTrigger

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Mystery Gift was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

kudoboi

Page is up:

uhhh

As a word of warning, at the moment this game seems to save your game based on your steam name. What this means is that changing your name causes the game to forget where your save is, and if you have any quotation marks, question marks, or any punctuation that isn't allowed in a windows folder name, the game just freezes after you choose your language at the start.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Just finished Grim Fandango Remastered and I have to say, damn... they just don't make em like they used to.

fuck some of those puzzles though, they can stay dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom