• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

I want to say how fun One Finger Death Punch is. I played it at my friend's house and was very skeptical at first. It's deceptively simple with mad ideas and a near perfect curve of difficulty. I can't believe I missed this. The commentary is humorous and the game rules and mechanics are easy to learn. The only criticism I would give is the UI is slightly too messy although I understand what the designers were trying to achieve.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Queen At Arms got greenlit

Also, happy birthday you dinosaur. Have a redhead.
large.gif

After installing SCP Driver, my USB Bluetooth dongle also stops functioning correctly. It gets renamed into "BTH DS3 Device" but in the notification bar its symbol gets red and upon starting and searching for bluetooth devices I get the message that the Bluetooth Adapter is not ready or something.
jYUMRjv.png
D4yCuw1.png

Not sure if that red symbol is supposed to happen but I think not, but the documentation does mention that:

Note : The Bluetooth Driver requires that you dedicate a Bluetooth Dongle to DS3/DS4 use. It will not be usable by other Bluetooth devices after the driver has been installed.

Played a bit of Third Eye Crime earlier, it's a bit like a simpler version of The Marvelous Miss Take. Basically avoid the roaming guards, take the loot and escape. The mobile origins are obvious, the first splash/story screen asks you the swipe the screen, but the whole game is presented with great style.

The game seems to have been virtually still-born on steam but for those that bought the recent Indie Gala friday bundle it's worth a try-out and probably shouldn't be condemned to your bundle-junk category straight away!

Dragon Age: Origins or The Witcher?

Both RPGs available on Steam in my backlog. Didn't feel like make a whole new thread to ask that question.

Otherwise I might look at going back to Deus Ex: HR or starting up Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Got too much to choose from it's overwhelming at times.

Tektonic

Both RPGs available on Steam in my backlog. Didn't feel like make a whole new thread to ask that question.

Otherwise I might look at going back to Deus Ex: HR or starting up Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Got too much to choose from it's overwhelming at times.

The Witcher. it's click-tastic

ibaRgtQ1rJS2Xx.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'd hold off on The Witcher 1/2 until 3 is closer. That way, if you decide to pre-order 3, the story will still be fresh in your mind when it releases.

Lomax

The Witcher starts slowly but is probably much more finishable. Dragon Age is arguably at its best in the very beginning. Personally I just find 100 hour games like Dragon Age too imposing these days and prefer to play RPGs I think I'll actually finish.

milena87

They're all great games.

Dragon Age Origins is the longest, with a completionist run with all DLCs and Awakening taking 80+ hours. It has a good, if cliché, story and good companions. I loved the combat.

The Witcher is my overall favourite game between those and a completionist run will take you 30+ hours.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
yeah. the link in the post from the gaffer was for an old version.
the new version worked super easy and fast.
there should be a thread for xinput.

the ds3 feels so good in my hands. i really like it. hopefully rumble also works now.
ds4 looks super sleak. didn't try it yet and probably will take many, many years till i get a ps4 but i am waiting :)

Man, I won't have a ps4 until kh3 comes out (if it doesn't hit pc) but I still own and love my dualshock 4. Its so comfortable and responsive. I tried going back to using the 360 pad afterwards but the change was as jarring as when I first used a membrane keyboard after getting used to a mech; acceptable, but inferior. The ds4 is very very nice. Get replacement thumbsticks if you invest in one (grab ones without bumps like the bottom left of the first image here).

Should had figured that was it xD

Who said anything about a PS4? :p
http://dsdcs.com/portfolio/software-development/4-ds4windows
The light bar works (and has custom animations) and you can use the thouchpad as a mouse.

But to be fair I really prefer the sticks and weight of the DS3.
More reasons to like the ds4! I agree with you about the stock sticks for both controllers, but the grips I went for are incredibly comfy so I can't really agree. The ds4 is lighter but it still feels quite solid.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Witcher is my overall favourite game between those and a completionist run will take you 30+ hours.

The Witcher took me about 75 hours to complete. I was massively disappointed when The Witcher 2 lasted me ~20 hours less (though this was prior to the EE patch).

ExoSoul

Banned
More reasons to like the ds4! I agree with you about the stock sticks for both controllers, but the grips I went for are incredibly comfy so I can't really agree. The ds4 is lighter but it still feels quite solid.
I must point out that the ds3 I mainly use has no rumble feature so it's quite light and skinny.

Thanks for the input. Decided to go with The Witcher for now. Dunno when I'll get TW3 - probably not at its launch anyway. Have The Witcher 2 in my library ready for me whenever as well.

It plays fine with KB/M right? My 360 controller is currently unavailable which is putting me off playing a few other games.

Corpekata

Banned
Thanks for the input. Decided to go with The Witcher for now. Dunno when I'll get TW3 - probably not at its launch anyway. Have The Witcher 2 in my library ready for me whenever as well.

It plays fine with KB/M right? My 360 controller is currently unavailable which is putting me off playing a few other games.

Witcher I don't think even has controller options. It's only in Witcher 2 it become more ground level oriented and controller friendly. You can play Witcher 1 almost like an isometric action RPG, just with timing attacks.

Sajjaja

Anyone else feels that Witcher 1 combos with Gold in sword fighting styles were way better than Witcher 2 ?

I actually enjoyed TW1s combat. It gets a lot of hate for being "too complex" but it's pretty simple to me.

TW2s combat would be great if it was properly implemented. While the Combat Rebalance mod does alot to help it, it's still flawed.

Cerity

Pretty disappointed with how buggy Endless Legend is, I've played 6 hours according to steam and it's crashed 3 times and straight up bugged out 4 (could select units/cities but couldn't do anything with them). At least it autosaves a fair bit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TFW you get valuable cards that show stable sales histories for 200-300 sales over a few weeks, but after YOU put them on the market is when people start lowballing for 1/3 or even 1/4 the price it had been selling for. Never playing the stock market.

Pretty disappointed with how buggy Endless Legend is, I've played 6 hours according to steam and it's crashed 3 times and straight up bugged out 4 (could select units/cities but couldn't do anything with them). At least it autosaves a fair bit.

I had issues too until switching to the 32-bit beta branch. Havent had crashes since changing that. Though I think it may cause the game to start to strain itself the later into one you are (with the extra complexities).

tmarg

TFW you get valuable cards that show stable sales histories for 200-300 sales over a few weeks, but after YOU put them on the market is when people start lowballing for 1/3 or even 1/4 the price it had been selling for. Never playing the stock market.

There are valuable cards?

I did just craft the rare Shovel Knight background though, so I guess that's something.

There are valuable cards?

COMMUNITY GUIDE:
Is this card valuable, by PetriP-TNT

To find out if you card is valuable, follow this handy guide:

1) Does the card have a anime-style picture of underage cat person molesting it's little sister

2a.) You answered YES - Your card IS valuable
2b.) You answered NO - Your card is worthless

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Hello SteamGAF. I haven't posted in a couple of weeks because for whatever reason I'm awful at keeping up with GAF when I'm out of town. Hope I didn't miss anything too exciting (I did keep up with the Steam sale, but that was pretty disappointing).

What's with the sudden obsession with people's ages?

Edit: Happy Birthday Jawmuncher.

Welcome back. Someone wanted to know, now there's a poll. Tomorrow we get results!

Ayumi

Oh man, 4+ year later and I finally decided to finish Portal. That thing is amazing and I can't wait to start Portal 2. Super LTTP but hey, it was totally worth the wait and the insane backlog. Kinda stuck in a certain chamber right now. I know what to do but it's hard to calculate and aim properly when pretty much flying between dimensions.

milena87

The Witcher took me about 75 hours to complete. I was massively disappointed when The Witcher 2 lasted me ~20 hours less (though this was prior to the EE patch).

I admit that I just checked the playtime that I have on Steam, where I have 32 hours. But it was my fourth time playing through the game, so a first playthrough might indeed require a lot more hours, depending on play style and difficulty.

And regarding The Witcher 2, I agree that it is short, but considering that it encourages to play both paths, I wasn't really disappointed. Overall I enjoy both long games and shorter games with higher replayability (like Alpha Protocol, that I finished 5 times so far).

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
COMMUNITY GUIDE:
Is this card valuable, by PetriP-TNT

To find out if you card is valuable, follow this handy guide:

1) Does the card have a anime-style picture of underage cat person molesting it's little sister

2a.) You answered YES - Your card IS valuable
2b.) You answered NO - Your card is worthless

It's absurd how accurate this is.

Nabs

Oh man, 4+ year later and I finally decided to finish Portal. That thing is amazing and I can't wait to start Portal 2. Super LTTP but hey, it was totally worth the wait and the insane backlog. Kinda stuck in a certain chamber right now. I know what to do but it's hard to calculate and aim properly when pretty much flying between dimensions.

When you're done with P2, see if you can find someone to co-op the co-op missions with.

Im about 27 hours in The Witcher and im probably about halfway through chapter three. Im not the biggest fan of fantasy due to the mystical aspects but it's approach to realism through its politics, drug trade, and "racism" makes it so god damn interesting.

I've said it in here before but im a big fan of the combat. Its super simple and kinda tedious but at least entertaining. The rhythm of the clicks become a psuedo rhythm game and the animations are so dumb and outdated that it's funny to watch

would recommend

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hello SteamGAF. I haven't posted in a couple of weeks because for whatever reason I'm awful at keeping up with GAF when I'm out of town. Hope I didn't miss anything too exciting (I did keep up with the Steam sale, but that was pretty disappointing).

What's with the sudden obsession with people's ages?

The interest in this topic keeps occurring everyevery few months in Steam OTs.

Im about 27 hours in The Witcher and im probably about halfway through chapter three. Im not the biggest fan of fantasy due to the mystical s but it's approach to realism through its politics, drug trade, and "racism" makes it so god damn interesting.

I've said it in here before but im a big fan of the combat. Its super simple and kinda tedious but at least entertaining. The rhythm of the clicks become a psuedo rhythm game and the animations are so dumb and outdated that it's funny to watch

would recommend

I'm always happy when others appreciate the first Witcher game. The second entry used CDPR's in-house engine in lieu of the outdated Aurora engine CDPR licensed from Bioware/EA. There is aalso radical shift in combat. They used a new system based off the Demon/Dark Soul series.

Jørdan

For those that missed out the other day.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

Tales of Maj'Eyal -- MB-925A2BC0928931C1 - Taken by 3chopl0x
Words for Evil -- MB-1DE734F9979151ED - Taken by bobnowhere
Words for Evil #2 -- MB-7954576B5AA1809F - Taken by Naked Snake
Words for Evil #3 -- MB-B11BA28089390A13 - Taken by WinterDemons

I finished Portal 2 but not 1, although I did play most of 1 if I recall correctly.

P2 was great, but I found the ending a little predictable which put a dent on the whole experience for me.

Now I own P1 on Steam but not P2 (played it on PS3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom