• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk about Witcher....

Should I play The Witcher 2 with a gamepad or mouse and keyboard?

It doesn't matter, choose the one you feel most comfortable with. The only benefit M&K provides is potential for better and faster headshot accuracy with throwing knives. But, since the game is too easy and signs (magic) and bombs are so overpowered, investing in knife throwing is a waste of talent points and the resources to buy or make the knives.

Jørdan

Where are people getting these Words For Evil copies? Is it free somewhere? Bundled? Game looks cool.

It was bundled a while back, Indie Gala - Every Monday Bundle 25. I noticed quite a few people entered darkchewie's giveaway for Words For Evil so I thought another chance was in order. Plus everyone should enjoy Tales of Maj'Eyal if they wish it.

Where are people getting these Words For Evil copies? Is it free somewhere? Bundled? Game looks cool.

I'd be happy to give you the copy I got from Jordan's giveaway (hope you don't mind Jordan?), I haven't redeemed it yet and I don't think I'll get to play it any time soon (and I have winner's remorse :p).

autoduelist

Jørdan;146077378 said:
It was bundled a while back, Indie Gala - Every Monday Bundle 25. I noticed quite a few people entered darkchewie's giveaway for Words For Evil so I thought another chance was in order. Plus everyone should enjoy Tales of Maj'Eyal if they wish it.

Ah, I missed it (and your giveaway).

ToME is a fantastic game, anyone mildly interested in traditional roguelikes should grab it. I beat it last year as a Bulwark, looking forward to revisiting as another class at some point since they're all so wildly different.

Jørdan

I'd be happy to give you the copy I got from Jordan's giveaway (hope you don't mind Jordan?), I haven't redeemed it yet and I don't think I'll get to play it any time soon (dat backlog).

No of course not, that's kind of you to do that. I was actually just getting another copy so if you have already sent it let me know and I'll send it to you instead. 2015 is the year of the backlog for me so I know what that's like :)

Ah, I missed it (and your giveaway).

ToME is a fantastic game, anyone mildly interested in traditional roguelikes should grab it. I beat it last year as a Bulwark, looking forward to revisiting as another class at some point since they're all so wildly different.

I've really enjoyed my time with it and plan on returning for another binge later in the year once I aquire the DLC. After 130hrs with just two of the classes there is still plenty to look forward to. I also heartily recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest.

Does early access count for voting?
I believe it does, as long as there is a playable release then it it valid. Starbound for example was included in last years vote.

Monooboe

Feels like I'm cheating in Wasteland 2 how I'm playing, like everytime I have to do a skillcheck and I fail I just quickload... been playing RPGs like that always.XD

Jørdan;146078227 said:
No of course not, that's kind of you to do that. I was actually just getting another copy so if you have already sent it let me know and I'll send it to you instead. 2015 is the year of the backlog for me so I know what that's like :)

I did just send it to autoduelist... and I was going to say keep the other copy for someone else who actually wants to play it, as I'm honestly kind of unsure if I'm interested in it or not... but

I've really enjoyed my time with it and plan on returning for another binge later in the year once I aquire the DLC. After 130hrs with just two of the classes there is still plenty to look forward to. I also heartily recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest.

that's some high praise, which kind of re-ignited my interest in it... damn it I don't know if I want it or not! haha

Edit: oh I just realized you were talking about ToME and not WfE, so nevermind. I say give it to someone else, and thanks! :)

AHA-Lambda

Feels like I'm cheating in Wasteland 2 how I'm playing, like everytime I have to do a skillcheck and I fail I just quickload... been playing RPGs like that always.XD

Don't blame you, I really enjoyed Wasteland 2 but I hated the combat and the RNG. There were so many elements you would fail by a wide margin even with the relevant skills maxed out :/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Eh, with that kind of thing I feel like it is all dependent on context. Ideally, the barrier on a skillcheck should be felt out, depending on how good your character is, how hard the task is, or the personality/background of the person you're rolling on.

Arguably, in a good RPG, you should be able to pick up on these things before it is even presented as an option to have a somewhat vague intuition as to what kind of risk you're taking. If the game doesn't offer this, I don't think it's too bad of cheating unless you're just brute forcing stuff everywhere. Some who PnP would disagree with my position, thinking you should be able to try any dumb thing you can imagine, but I feel with videogames things are different.

Now, some games just outright tell you the percentage chance you've got, which when it comes to PnP is kind of just a convenience in making calculations on if you want to risk it or not, but in a game this feels like a different kind of cheating to me, I guess because the narrative is more guided and you shouldn't have the time to know such things with such precision, and it makes brute-forcing a more transparent option for cheating.

In the end it's just a game and you're doing it for your own fun so who cares, but if taking the risk and losing sometimes is enough of a detriment that taking risks isn't fun, that brings up the possibility that there is an issue with the game design rather than your attitude. Although if you're just a perfectionist who hates any losses, then it's obvious.

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

White Noise Online -- MB-45D8C50DF9DE920D - Taken by TheMadMan007
YURY -- MB-3F7026FCC9F32B4F - Taken by Darth Kupi
Dungeons the Eye of Draconus -- MB-9FD6DE25F155D25B - Taken by Blu(e)
Stick it to The Man! -- MB-B0D8373CE1A9C7A3 - Taken by redlacs
Visceral Cleanup Detail Santa's Revenge -- MB-8979DF9A15D7E20E - Taken by ExoSoul
Space Hack -- MB-02D614DF680A10F7
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-18121E587B119972 - Taken by TheTrain
Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy -- MB-2B1BB520EFE24EC5 - Taken by lindarasta
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror -- MB-D5E3CD4FC6D4F0EF - Taken by ramoisdead

hi

^^

Welcome back!

I found out after I'd finished the game that you can repair broken locks when you crit fail trying to unlock them!

I have a stupid bug in Steam that I can't get rid of. I can't remove games from my wishlist. I'll click remove and reload and they will be right back. Or I'll remove them and then reorder the list so the Save button is usable, and they will still come right back. Any solution beyond buying the games(others have been removed this way)?

Chariot

Bork. Finally managed to get that restoration patch running. All I needed was a bit of sleep to thing straight. Now I can enjoy all the smut, huzzah!

--
She's such a cool character and the tsundere stuff doesn't stay that long. Also do yourself a favor and skim the parts where they get too in depth about plane mechanics. Save yourself hours by doing so(or at least felt like that). If you know a glider glides on wind you are set for every conversation in the hanger.
Well, I am still annoyed by her attitude, I get her character, but I don't like it. Will go for Ageha and Amane with no regrets, then reinstall the game without patch so I can get the archievements and do Kotori's route like that.

Welcome back.

Ozium

I'm having trouble figuring out my GOTY list... well not so much figuring out it, but determining where to place DRAGON THE GAME... is it #1 for the potential it inhabits, or is it #5 because it's not that good?

Jørdan

I have a stupid bug in Steam that I can't get rid of. I can't remove games from my wishlist. I'll click remove and reload and they will be right back. Or I'll remove them and then reorder the list so the Save button is usable, and they will still come right back. Any solution beyond buying the games(others have been removed this way)?

Haven't experienced that myself, have you tried to do this from the client/web instead to see if that works? The other thing you could try is go to the store webpage for the games and click on the wishlist button, it will currently be check marked and a second click should remove it.

Monooboe

Don't blame you, I really enjoyed Wasteland 2 but I hated the combat and the RNG. There were so many elements you would fail by a wide margin even with the relevant skills maxed out :/

In the end it's just a game and you're doing it for your own fun so who cares, but if taking the risk and losing sometimes is enough of a detriment that taking risks isn't fun, that brings up the possibility that there is an issue with the game design rather than your attitude. Although if you're just a perfectionist who hates any losses, then it's obvious.

The game seems to have so much quest stuff behind skillchecks that I really don't feel that it destroys my enjoyment to F9/F11 on skillcheckstuff. For example there is a quest where doing it the good way you need to pick locks, disable alarms, hack and even disarms explosives and the other way was less good where you just had to kill a lot, so to me the game just was to limited at that point.

I found out after I'd finished the game that you can repair broken locks when you crit fail trying to unlock them!

Ooh didn't know that, thats really good for those who don't want to F9/F11 but doing so is just much quicker for the same end result.:D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Fake Colours -- MB-04E176C7F83B8617 - Taken by BernardoOne

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
my friend bought it from G2A ( banned site here )
for $32 ( key , not a gift )

Only at the activation level, but there exists the possibility that Techland will change its mind closer to release and apply the OARIC flag to the retail subs (as was originally the case with the standard store sub).

L.O.R.D

Only at the activation level, but there exists the possibility that Techland will change its mind closer to release and apply the OARIC flag to the retail subs (as was originally the case with the standard store sub).

so right now there is no OARIC flag on retail version
so its safe ( for now )

What's everyone's opinion on How to Survive?

My buddy and I were playing it earlier. From what we could tell, it seems quest rewards are only given to the host. I was running around with a stick whilst my pal was weapon-less. Apparently there is friendly fire--this kinda sucks because you tend to get mobbed by zombies so I can see how friendly fire will become troublesome. And I hate to throw this word out there but it feels janky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom