• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Based on your classification, we can say that Nintendo games are casual/children games because that's the target audience?

Reminds me of that picture that always makes the rounds.

Pokemon
Target audience: casual/children
Actuall demographic: adults

Modern AAA (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc)
Target Audience: adults
Actual demographic: casual/children

Locust

0iptJxA.png
Oops.

Articalys

Sometimes I really get the impression that there's always at least somebody watching over the SteamDB for the smallest of changes, 24/7.

I managed to spend a few hours playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall today. I am really enjoying it. I really like the setting and the writing/story has been quite enjoyable so far. I think that's enough sentences that start with "I."

I think... :p

ExoSoul

Banned
I guess I should reword it to as a Japanese style American cartoon.

Majority of Japanese anime and American cartoons are animated in Korea. There are bound to be similarities. I consider the main studios as the separating point on whether it is an anime or an american cartoon.
I consider the actual drawing style and nothing but that.
But even then it's not anime, Avatar has always been a hybrid.

Will you start selling your vote?
I have no problem doing that.
Start placing your bids everyone

These sorts of posts don't mean much without your PC's specs, you know.
Hah, yeah. Like I wrote on my DS screenshots, I ain't complaining. My Laptop is from '07 (Core2Duo, 4GB DDR2, 9600M GS). I was blown away when I realized how well Dark Souls 2 ran on my machine. Crazy.
Guess every Developer has a first time learning about a specific platform, so it is kinda understandable that DS1 doesn't run that good. I do ave to give major credit to From Software for their work on DS2 though. Crazy how much they improved upon DS1. Insane step-up.

So I just wanted to try a couple more resolutions etc. with DS1 and bam! 5 hours passed, I beat 3 bosses ( ALL ON FIRST TRY SUCKERS) and despite the FPS counter never ever even once going over 15FPS, I had a grand time :)

What an awesome game. I think I will play through it like this. Unless performance gets super, super bad at some point. During fire, kindling framerate goes down to 4 but meh, I'll take it.
I use DSfix to lower the resolution on my laptop to get playable speeds.
Incidentally I can play DMC4 at alright settings at 720p just fine.
I actually tried DS fix yesterday I think but I have a weird poroblem. No matter which resolution I play, if it ain't native res, the screen doesn't go fullscreen? And I don't meant it's windowed but the game is at say 1024x768 but there are huge black bar on the top and the sides. I have no clue how to make the screen stretch fully :/
I did set it to fullscreen in DSfix.ini

yGray suggested giving DSMfix and DSfix another try, so tomorrow I'll do that. It got way too late now though -_-
Oh, the 960s are 2GB. Lol, fuck that. There goes that idea.
Oh shame. Those could have been an alternative to 970s but 2Gb is not an upgrade to 760 at all.

The more I see of The Phantom Pain, the more certain I am that it'll be my 2015 GOTY...

I also really hope the rumor about the HD Collection is true. The awful controls on 360 for Snake Eater are making it hard to get started on the series...

Rumor? What rumor? Last I heard, that "collection" were just clothes...

4th on this list. And yeah, there was some collection that was just clothes, but then there's the HD Collection.

The more I see of The Phantom Pain, the more certain I am that it'll be my 2015 GOTY...

I also really hope the rumor about the HD Collection is true. The awful controls on 360 for Snake Eater are making it hard to get started on the series...

Rumor? What rumor? Last I heard, that "collection" were just clothes...

Cheddahz

Banned
The only games you should give a shit about on that anime sale list is Trails in the Sky and the Ys games
sorry, I just don't care for sexual visual novels

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zombie Studios is shutting down:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967172

Published by Zombie Studios:
Daylight

Developed by Zombie Studios:
Guardians of Middle Earth (also a licensed game, but published by license owner)
Special Forces: Team X
Daylight
Blacklight: Tango Down (also an online only game with no population and possibly still GFWL?)
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury
SAW (also a licensed game)
Blacklight: Retribution (F2P)

No immediate news on if the closure will cause any games to be pulled, but for all those hardcore collectors, might be worth looking into.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-8AA2D3449BBC69E8 - Taken by Oublieux

Oublieux

Isn't that due to the fact that the controller for the 360 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons? If that's the case, it would probably be identical on the PS4, the PS4 controllers removed the pressure sensitivity as well.

Edit: PC version, oh! Still curious as to how they'd figure out the remapping of pressure-sensitive actions though...

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine

Daylight

Guardians of Middle Earth (also a licensed game, but published by license owner)
Daylight
Blacklight: Tango Down (also an online only game with no population and possibly still GFWL?)

No immediate news on if the closure will cause any games to be pulled, but for all those hardcore collectors, might be worth looking into.

976 Peak all time players for Guardians of Middle Earth. Why did they ever think making LOTR into a moba was a good idea?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Daylight

Daylight

Daylight and the Blacklight games may briefly disappear while the rights change hands to the new studio (Ignition owns Blacklight: Tango Down itself but Zombie owns the Tango Down trademark), however the rest shouldn't be affected as they're all owned by their respective publishers.

976 Peak all time players for Guardians of Middle Earth. Why did they ever think making LOTR into a moba was a good idea?

I expected it to go F2P in a similar timeframe to Gotham City Imposters.

Isn't that due to the fact that the controller for the 360 doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons? If that's the case, it would probably be identical on the PS4, the PS4 controllers removed the pressure sensitivity as well.

Edit: PC version, oh! Still curious as to how they'd figure out the remapping of pressure-sensitive actions though...

I have no idea about pressure sensitivity. I'm just hoping that since they'd probably have to rework the controls for KB/M, there'd be some overall control improvements. I'd still prefer playing with my 360 controller, so hopefully they'd do some work there too.

Deques

Daylight and the Blacklight games may briefly disappear while the rights change hands to the new studio (Ignition owns Blacklight: Tango Down itself but Zombie owns the Tango Down trademark), however the rest shouldn't be affected as they're all owned by their respective publishers.

The expert has spoken. Buy Daylight before it disappears!

Oublieux

I have no idea about pressure sensitivity.

I played Snake Eater (my favorite entry, as a side note) back on PS2, and many actions were pressure sensitive. Lightly holding square behind an enemy, for example, would cause a chokehold. Pressing the square button more firmly would follow through with a slash to the throat. The 360's pad wasn't capable of this, so they had made alterations to the control--I'm not sure what was done, but it might lead to the awkwardness you're talking about.

MRORANGE

Just over a day left.

jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF GOTY Award, every year gaffers choose choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam,
game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out last year's nail-biting results.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released from 2014
- Episodic games that overlap 2013/2014 can be counted as long as they have not been used in the 2013 Steam GOTY
- Re-release in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Vote thrown if the bin if you fail to follow rules
t1420848000z0.png

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
[B]Game 5 (1 point) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 4 (2 points) [/B]: INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 3 (3 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 2 (4 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 1  (5 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE

[B]Why I want this game as GOTY  (Optional) :[/B] WRITE COMMENTS HERE

Gaffers who have voted so far:

I played Snake Eater (my favorite entry, as a side note) back on PS2, and many actions were pressure sensitive. Lightly holding square behind an enemy, for example, would cause a chokehold. Pressing the square button more firmly would follow through with a slash to the throat. The 360's pad wasn't capable of this, so they had made alterations to the control--I'm not sure what was done, but it might lead to the awkwardness you're talking about.

Or, y'know, the general non dual shock layout that everyone gushes about could have something to do with it. ;)

Miguel81

The Resi 4 Krauser fight was giving me a bit of trouble on Pro. Then I finally cornered the bastard and shotgun his legs to hell and back. The rest of the game should be a cakewalk.

Tektonic

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Glacier 3: The Meltdown #2 -- MB-89D1C6C6A2EBF045 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Glacier 3: The Meltdown #1 -- MB-BC5E36D6F536B03B - Taken by Darth Kupi
Hostile Waters: Anteaus Rising #2 -- MB-B7EFAC2B79C052D9 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Hostile Waters: Anteaus Rising #1 -- MB-B70EB762E1A10F4B - Taken by sensoft04
Platypus #2 -- MB-CBEF85AFB583050F - Taken by Kuroyume
Commando Jack #1 -- MB-3483690441FD0EED - Taken by JustLynx
Commando Jack #2 -- MB-6477C2F8539808A5 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Desert Thunder -- MB-A4F3CB8382087989 - Taken by WinterDemons
CT Special Forces -- MB-813A99557BFFB04D - Taken by WinterDemons
Eurofighter Typhoon -- MB-929456610DACDCE2 - Taken by WinterDemons
Incoming Forces -- MB-5BC338B4533FAB66 - Taken by WinterDemons
Chernobyl Commando #1 -- MB-F11DE30CED2169F3 - Taken by WinterDemons
Chernobyl Commando #2 -- MB-21A4B29ECD885798 - Taken by JustLynx
Platypus #1 -- MB-AA6C4566BCDBAC4E - Taken by JustLynx
Hyper Fighters #2 -- MB-746C3B1D033CAA39 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Hyper Fighters #1 -- MB-94CE1FCC5849A97E - Taken by agniswarm[/QUOTE]

There was a non-dual shock layout? Was this in the HD collection for last generation?

I meant that all the things people love about the x360 controller (the differences from dualshock in general) may contribute to the awkwardness in controls, that's all (including the buttons not being pressure sensitive):

some review on amazon said:
I prefer the Xbox 360 controller for gaming. All my friends are on Xbox Live. And I prefer getting achievements instead of Trophies. However anyone who's spent a significant amount of time with these classic PS2 titles can tell you that they take advantage of a very specific function of the Dual Shock controller that few games utilize. MGS2 and MGS3 use the analog buttons of Sony's controller. A style of buttons the Xbox controllers have never had.

On the DS using the Square button (X on Xbox controller) raises your gun. Gently releasing pressure on the Square button allows Snake to lower his gun without firing it. On the Xbox controller you cannot do this, so the gun just fires. The simple work around is to de-equip the weapon. But the problem doesn't end there. Automatic weapons (like an AK47) are aimed by lightly holding the Square button, and fired by pushing the Square button all the way down. Not possible on the Xbox 360 controller due to the buttons being a simple on/off style. So on the Xbox 360 controller when you push X to aim the gun you go immediately into firing the gun in full auto.

This makes using these weapons very tough in the story mode, and make the VR missions involving these automatic weapons harder to complete. In VR you have to time your shots even more carefully since you have to take the animation time of lifting the gun into consideration. You have to aim by just eyeballing the center of the screen. And you still have to burst fire by pressing and releasing X so as not to waste the limited ammo you have.

I'm still having fun with this collection on Xbox 360, but if you've never played these games before on a playstation controller you'll think the game's controls are broken. They are, but only on the Xbox 360. Remembering back it was a similar problem the Xbox 1 version of MGS2:Subsistence suffered from the same issue. At least this time around you don't also have the frame-rate issues the old Xbox version had.

Seems my fondness of using the DS3 with Real Triggers on my PC may benefit me yet again if the HD collection ever comes out on Steam. :3

Found an image

Hope those aren't the only games on sale.

Grabbed some of the games I'm missing. Thanks Tektonic! :)

EDIT: Also, some stuff that wasn't claimed in previous giveaways
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Killing Floor Guest Pass -- MB-E00BB92A3E1D5F57
Canyon Capers -- MB-9E551B3B5693CAAA - Taken by S1n1st3r
KnightShift -- MB-15641103F3F452F7 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-CA3416B2AE13BBE5 - Taken by sensoft04

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Daylight

Daylight

Blacklight: Tango Down has GFWL.

Deitus

I meant that all the things people love about the x360 controller (the differences from dualshock in general) may contribute to the awkwardness in controls, that's all (including the buttons not being pressure sensitive):

Seems my fondness of using the DS3 with Real Triggers on my PC may benefit me yet again if the HD collection ever comes out on Steam. :3

I somehow doubt that if it gets ported to PC that it will actually support pressure sensitive buttons. Since there is not native Windows support for DS3, I doubt they would even consider including support for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has native support for DS4, and 360 and XBO controllers, but none of them have pressure sensitive buttons. It's a shame though, because I've tried to play MGS3 on a controller with purely digital buttons (when my DS2 broke, and I briefly tried using a DS1 instead) and it was not pretty.

Tizoc

jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF GOTY Award, every year gaffers choose choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam,
game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out last year's nail-biting results.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released from 2014
- Episodic games that overlap 2013/2014 can be counted as long as they have not been used in the 2013 Steam GOTY
- Re-release in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Vote thrown if the bin if you fail to follow rules
t1420848000z0.png

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
[B]Game 5 (1 point) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 4 (2 points) [/B]: INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 3 (3 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 2 (4 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 1  (5 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE