• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

finally! and I still haven't recovered after winter sale...
I somehow managed to buy more than 100 games during it instead of planned 10-20 (><)
life is unfair

fake edit: just have seen a pic, I have everything on that list. Oh well, that's sorta good...

Hopefully there will be more animu games for sale :)

Miguel81

Seems my fondness of using the DS3 with Real Triggers on my PC may benefit me yet again if the HD collection ever comes out on Steam. :3

The DS3 gets too much flak for a fully functional pad that gives you a plethora of options on PC. I'll be holding on to mine for PCSX2 purposes.

Anyway, I voted Alien Isolation as my GOTY. The nightmare difficulty was recently added, and that's a nice incentive for a replay.

What is featured in the animesale?

Found an image
zoBssVo.png

Tizoc

If anyone's making a thread for the Steam Anime sale, please mention in the thread title that the Ys games are on sale too!

Tektonic

There was some talk about Star Nomad (Desura from Groupees) getting a steam key. Any update on that (at a steam community page?)

Phinor

976 Peak all time players for Guardians of Middle Earth. Why did they ever think making LOTR into a moba was a good idea?

I'm crazy but I still think it was a good game and a MOBA that actually worked well with a gamepad. I might have to re-install it one day and see how wrong I actually am. 23% positive, 77% negative on Steam? I have to read some of those negative reviews to see what's actually wrong with the game because I didn't see any major issues.

Anyway, Guardians of Middle-Earth was originally developed by Monolith. I guess Zombie Studios did the PC port.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of thesaucetastic, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale -- MB-5E8A756E5D05341A - Taken by Water. 20 entrants total.

t1420751595z1.png

Deques

It'll begin at 10am PT, like usual. You asked a very similar question earlier, which was answered. ;)

Sometimes it's worth to actually read 1 or 2 pages back in the thread. But I guess asking is easier than look for the answers yourself :p

Someone should post this countdown every page

Steam Anime sale starts in
t1420740000z4.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sword of the Stars Complete Collection -- MB-1A3AFFCC8FDA189B - Taken by WinterDemons. 4 entrants total.
Leviathan Warships -- MB-7756401CEC741089 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.

t1420709961z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Dracula 2 The Last Sanctuary -- MB-DFF152773657A226 - Taken by bluechox2

Coldfire Keep -- MB-F2594016B7ABF769 - Taken by 7Sins
Into the Dark Ultimate Trash Edition -- MB-E1F23805DEEE2A4B - Taken by roadrunn3r
Sacraboar -- MB-37A81E6FA98A3880 - Taken by nja
Dracula 3 The Path of the Dragon -- MB-49C5318C81486712 - Taken by anastef
Dracula The Resurrection -- MB-E81C15AFAF6EDA2C - Taken by Natty1

Deques

I help you!

From Wiki
The Legend of Korra is produced mainly as traditional animation, with most frames drawn on paper in South Korea by the animators at Studio Mir and scanned for digital processing. Each episode comprises about 15,000 drawings.[47] The series makes occasional use of computer-generated imagery for complex scenes or objects, most noticeably in the animations of the pro-bending arena or the mecha-suits of the later seasons.

While The Legend of Korra is produced in the United States and therefore not a work of Japanese animation ("anime") in the strict sense, The Escapist magazine argued that the series is so strongly influenced by anime that it would otherwise easily be classified as such: its protagonists (a superpowered heroine, her group of talented, supporting friends, a near-impervious villain who wants to reshape the world), its themes (family, friendship, romance, fear, and death) and the quality of its voice acting as well as the visual style are similar to those of leading anime series such as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Bleach or Trigun.[48] A notable difference from such series is the absence of lengthy opening and ending sequences set to J-pop songs;[48] to save broadcast time, The Legend of Korra&#8202;'&#8203;s openings and endings last only a few seconds. The series mostly abstains from using the visual tropes characteristic of anime, but does occasionally use exaggerated facial expressions to highlight emotions for comic effect.

Arthea

http://i.minus.com/jboDPW1yDXAPEl.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

that's no proof! volvo says it's anime, I say it's anime, hence it is anime!

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibwVQ2oiNwihot.gif

edited: you guys do know that anime means animation? just checking (><)

Judging from the pic about the Steam anime games sale, guess I'll pick up Blade Kitten and the Analogue series. Even though it's not anime, I wish Ikaruga was a part of this sale. =[

Tizoc

Judging from the pic about the Steam anime games sale, guess I'll pick up Blade Kitten and the Analogue series. Even though it's not anime, I wish Ikaruga was a part of this sale. =[

Ikaruga is worth the $10 mate~

If Blade Kitten is like $1 I might get it :V

Miguel81

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a drop on that one. Shmups kick my butt, but I still like to play them once in a while.

baterism

Anime-sale? Who cares about animu games. Where is my samurai games? Where the hell is Way of Samurai 4, Ghostlight?

Ys Oath of Felgana, 75% pls

ExoSoul

Banned
In preparation for the sale:

Ys: I've heard a lot of praise for the Ys series, where should I start? I usually prefer to go by release order but if you convince me there's a good enough reason to start by a later entry (mostly plot) I may start my journey there.

Agarest: Are these in any way related with the Tales of series? What sort of game can I expect (setting)? What are the dlcs for? What are the differences between Zero and non Zero?
Is it as waifu intensive as the trailer made it seem to be?

Trails in the Sky: What's the premise for the story? It mentions a Trails saga but there doesn't seem to be any other entry on the store, is it simply because they're not on steam?

99 Spirits: Wut? Can anyone shed some light in this game for me?

Human Tanks: Is it just a grid strategy game?

I'd actually consider KoF, I really want to buy it, I'm just no good at fighting games.

Arthea

Anime-sale? Who cares about animu games. Where is my samurai games? Where the hell is Way of Samurai 4, Ghostlight?

Ys Oath of Felgana, 75% pls

I begin to doubt we'll see it released this month. Ghostlight blog wasn't updated since before Christmas!

I played Snake Eater (my favorite entry, as a side note) back on PS2, and many actions were pressure sensitive. Lightly holding square behind an enemy, for example, would cause a chokehold. Pressing the square button more firmly would follow through with a slash to the throat. The 360's pad wasn't capable of this, so they had made alterations to the control--I'm not sure what was done, but it might lead to the awkwardness you're talking about.

I haven't actually bothered with CQC yet (I only just started Op. Snake Eater moments ago), so I can't speak to those issues. My problem is that it's all just so... clunky. Random snaps from 3rd to 1st person view while crawling, can't crouch sneak, aiming is bad, none of it is the least bit intuitive. Took me all of 5 minutes to get used to GZ controls, but I'm still getting used to SE controls 1.5 hours in. Now obviously the newer game is gonna be better, but still.

I meant that all the things people love about the x360 controller (the differences from dualshock in general) may contribute to the awkwardness in controls, that's all (including the buttons not being pressure sensitive):

Admittedly it does sound like the DS definitely has the 360 beat, but... I absolutely loath the DS. I'd have a worse time with a DS and all it's nifty features than I am with my 360. Save for the d-pad, the Xbox controllers are far superior as far as I'm concerned.

I somehow doubt that if it gets ported to PC that it will actually support pressure sensitive buttons. Since there is not native Windows support for DS3, I doubt they would even consider including support for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has native support for DS4, and 360 and XBO controllers, but none of them have pressure sensitive buttons. It's a shame though, because I've tried to play MGS3 on a controller with purely digital buttons (when my DS2 broke, and I briefly tried using a DS1 instead) and it was not pretty.

Yeah, considering that GZ only had 360 support right off the bat, I imagine the 360/Bone will be the only officially supported controller should the Collection actually hit PC. Also, does the DS4 even have official support at this point? I thought I heard talk of it getting drivers and all that back when it first released, but it sounds like people still have to use 3rd party software.

Ys: I've heard a lot of praise for the Ys series, where should I start? I usually prefer to go by release order but if you convince me there's a good enough reason to start by a later entry (mostly plot) I may start my journey there.

Agarest: Are these in any way related with the Tales of series? What sort of game can I expect (setting)? What are the dlcs for? What are the differences between Zero and non Zero?

Trails in the Sky: What's the premise for the story? It mentions a Trails saga but there doesn't seem to be any other entry on the store, is it simply because they're not on steam?

I'd actually consider KoF, I really want to buy it, I'm just no good at fighting games.

YS: First two games are pretty rough to play, might be worth picking up Origin and Oath

Agarest: No relation. They're apparently pretty meh TRPG, unless they're deeply enough discounted, could be fun, but otherwise I'd pass

Trails: Not going to bother until we get more of the games. Not wasting my time on a lengthy RPG or to start a series I wont be able to see the end of

99 spirits: No clue. It's usually fairly cheap though, so no harm no foul

Human Tanks: Grid based strategy game that you'll probably play for the story. It's pretty cute and harmless fun. I'd recommend picking it up for sub $5

Annnnd of course, do some research, look up gameplay videos and try to find up reviews. Those are just MY personal opinions and are by no means right or wrong.

dani_dc

Anime sales?
I guess posting waifu pics will be on topic for awhile.

Not that that ever stopped anyone.

Hopefully there's more titles than the ones in the picture, own all of the ones that interest me already.

Remember that time that Ikaruga was up to a vote to be on sale during the summer and lost and then never went on sale again?
Good times.

Miguel81

Yeah, considering that GZ only had 360 support right off the bat, I imagine the 360/Bone will be the only officially supported controller should the Collection actually hit PC. Also, does the DS4 even have official support at this point? I thought I heard talk of it getting drivers and all that back when it first released, but it sounds like people still have to use 3rd party software.

It has the basic directinput support(works well for older titles) but still needs ds4windows for decent functionality in modern games. The dreaded camera spinning tends to happen a lot without that software.

I started with Ys I&II Chronicles+, and I enjoyed them much more than I expected too. The gameplay is a bit unique(bump combat), the visuals are pleasing to the eyes, and the soundtrack in phenomenal. Nightmare mode amps up the difficulty tremendously(especially in the first title), so beware in case you don't want THAT much of a challenge.

Arthea

Ys are one of the best ARPGs out there, I don't think order is that important, but I would start from origins, just to see if you like it, it has special gameplay.

Agarest has nothing to do with Tales, it's TRPG series, waifu intense, yes. Gameplay isn't that bad, but also it's no FFT or Fire Emblem.

Trails second part is coming to steam this year, that much we know, we don't know when. Also Trails is awesome! It's GOTY and GOAT.

Everybody should try 99 spirits, concept of gameplay is interesting and it teaches you a lot about adventuring!

I don't particularly liked Human tanks, and I'm not sure how to describe gameplay, it's strategy game alright, but it's... different.

pahamrick

I love Trails, I do but for anyone interested in the game know this: The first ends on a cliffhanger of immense proportion. So, if stuff like that annoys you wait for the next chapter sometime this year before getting into it.

ExoSoul

Banned
Milamber already had a fit because it was in the anime sale =)

I help you!
From Wiki
Read what's in between the bolded parts ;D

As for the actual drawing style (imo the only thing that should determine wheter or not it's an anime) it's a mix (hybrid) between American stylised drawings and Japanese stylised drawings. The first Avatar still had a strong American presence using mostly the Japanese style for flavour (even though Japanese was still the most predominant) but in Korea the American style becomes even more of a background force.
If you wanna be a Nippon/animation purist sure, it's not. But you can't blame others for considering it as such.
Plus the game was made by Platinum, Platinum are Nippon based, the Korra game is anime. There, logic, I win xD

dani_dc

Give Ys 1+2 a try, they are pretty simplistic, but killing enemies still feels satisfying and the OST is amazing. They're also not too lengthy.
If those don't catch your attention, give Ys Oath a try, it's a remake of the third game, it's a much modern game and plays great, like the first two the feeling of killing enemies is very satisfying and the OST is extremely good, plus story wise its nearly a stand alone.

Origins is a prequel to 1+2 and it was released after the other mentioned titles, so I'd recommend leaving it to last.

Tizoc

Start with Oath in Felghana, which is Ys 3, then go into Origin, then consider playing Ys 1 and 2, be advised that 1 and 2 use an archiac but fun, if you give it a chance, combat system.

Nothing to do with the Tales series since this is from a different dev, Agarest has flat chested waifus and is an SRPG, but has a neat sound track.

It's a well regarded RPG series, and is the first game of its subseries, we're getting the 2nd TitS game later this year.

You type letters to form words to defeat enemies in a Japanese setting.

[/quote]
If you can play offline, get it, it's a fun game and KoF 13 is prob. the easiest KoF to get into.

So have any of you guys tried out Depth? Steam reviews seem good and the sharks vs divers part interests me a whole lot. So is it 4v4 or does it very per game mode?

Damn this looks good.

Arthea

So have any of you guys tried out Depth? Steam reviews seem good and the sharks vs divers part interests me a whole lot. So is it 4v4 or does it very per game mode?

Damn this looks good.

I was very interested in it until I noticed that there is no singleplay at all and being EA game without singleplay, yeah
Someone from steamgaf plays it, can't say I remember who... and likes it.
ricochetguro perhaps?

Deques

Plus the game was made by Platinum, Platinum are Nippon based, the Korra game is anime. There, logic, I win xD

But it was published by Activision, if we go by your logic then it's not anime since Activision is not a Nippon company :D
But let's drop this topic. I don't really care whether the show is anime or not. I haven't even watched anime in several years

I was very interested in it until I noticed that there is no singleplay at all and being EA game without singleplay, yeah
Someone from steamgaf plays it, can't say I remember who... and likes it.
ricochetguro perhaps?

But the store page says there is single player. Which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom