• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

This looks pretty bad.

Regarding this, has anyone else noted that the average of any bundle is really high right from the start? Do you think the developers or HB themselves buy it at a high price just to get the average up from the beginning?

HB sets a fake average to start with. Sometimes it's really obvious. Personally I find it a bit underhanded but I understand why they do it.

HB sets a fake average to start with. Sometimes it's really obvious. Personally I find it a bit underhanded but I understand why they do it.

was just going to speculate this. I understand they want to make money for everyone involved, but man I feel dumb for buying into the "idea" of HB when it first started. Nothing good lasts forever I guess.

Jawmuncher

So Zero is the better game.

1360041849405.png

Lets see if selling cards lets me buy the first game at least lol.

EDIT: Looking at the estimates I might make it if people actually buys them. Semi-yay.
I got like 30 bucks selling the backgrounds back in the day.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I got like 30 bucks selling the backgrounds back in the day.

The estimates for the cards I have on sale is like 4 bucks. Card sales back then were so much better.

Also a beautiful soul decided to gift me the game so if I get the money I might give something back to the community. <3

Knurek

Regarding this, has anyone else noted that the average of any bundle is really high right from the start? Do you think the developers or HB themselves buy it at a high price just to get the average up from the beginning?

You get 10-20 purchases during the first minute of the bundle (sometimes before), all in the $25 range.
Of course they are gaming the average. Have been for at least a year if not more.

Benedict

A bit OT but anyway:
I am currently playing Valiant Hearts on Steam and I see on Uplay only my PC games, not my other platforms. Should I be able to see all my games, even the games I have on PS4 there or are they separate? Or have I accidentally made two Uplay accounts?

pahamrick

Congrats, nothing better than a massive broadband speed increase. Caps suck though, can't you get an unlimited one?

When we first got internet through Mediacom in 2000 it was unlimited, but when we moved they had switched to caps and we weren't able to get the original unlimited plan.

It sucks, but normally the cap isn't an issue but 4 heavy internet users things get close. Especially when I decide to download a game that's 50+GB, it hurts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A bit OT but anyway:
I am currently playing Valiant Hearts on Steam and I see on Uplay only my PC games, not my other platforms. Should I be able to see all my games, even the games I have on PS4 there or are they separate? Or have I accidentally made two Uplay accounts?

Only the games you own on Uplay appear in your library.

Selling the cards I had...I'm gonna be rich*

(*rich = about $5 since I didn't have many...lol)

Just waiting for the Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris TF2 promo items to be allowed to be sold since it's the only things I have left to sell right now

Thought I didn't own Orbitalis yet but missed it because it's written with a 0 instead of an O. My loss is your gain

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (YianGaruga, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Concursion -- MB-2B1213B4E8C094DB - Taken by Kurt Russell
Richard & Alice -- MB-E8DE7E2718C62442 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
The Chaos Engine -- MB-8A3B1A3D27EA80F3 - Taken by Dice
Speedball 2 HD -- MB-6191AB69587F63CE - Taken by GaussTek
Over 9000 Zombies -- MB-C3BB5284AB89B415 - Taken by derExperte
0rbitalis -- MB-26D8ED513B6FE70A - Taken by billmcdougal

Maniac

Banned
My recommendation is Western Digital HDDs.

Never buy Seagate.
Well... Alrighty then, that narrows it down quite a bit.
SSDs? Or general storage?
General storage. HDD, the bigger the better. Or well, the cheaper per gig, the better. :p

So, I finally broke down and called my cable company about seeing what I could do to get an upgrade for my service because we were constantly going over the cap (250GB) and getting charged $10 for an extra 50GB after my sister and nephew moved in.

Turns out, for an extra $5 a month I was able to go from the 15Mbps plan to the 50Mbps plan and get the higher cap (350GB)

4043893344.png

I think I'll take this as my birthday present.
I better not post this...

Actually, to hell with it, I'm a bastard.

4043982150.png

Mind you this is... Entirely mindblowing to me. Especially considering there's no such thing as caps here, if there was I'd have thrown a fair few fits loooong ago.

But yeah, I've had it for a few hours now, and I still can't quite comprehend it, lol.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Richard and Alice- -- MB-4D4E9C801E0C2772 - Taken by famfrit

Hanzou

General storage. HDD, the bigger the better. Or well, the cheaper per gig, the better. :p

4043982150.png

Mind you this is... Entirely mindblowing to me. Especially considering there's no such thing as caps here, if there was I'd have thrown a fair few fits loooong ago.

But yeah, I've had it for a few hours now, and I still can't quite comprehend it, lol.

I bought a western digital 1tb blue for about $50 just last month. Works great for storage and games. Loads games fine for a hdd. If toy want more space go for the Green drives. A little slower bit more space and more energy efficient. Less $ per GB as well once you go over 1tb.

Even with the highest fire resistance armor in the game, you will still likely die to the dragon fire in one shot. Like I said, he's more of an obstacle/puzzle fight than anything, and you don't get much of anything for killing him. Just let him go and move on.

Normal weapons are improved with titanite. Titanite Shards are quite common. You can farm them from the skeletons and knights in the Undead Parish church area. The shards take normal weapons from level 1 to level 5. Then to power them up from beyond that, you'll need Large Titanite Shards, which are used to get from level 6 to level 10. They are somewhat common and farmable from a common enemy at the bottom of Blighttown or bought from a blacksmith later in the game. Then Titanite Chunks take your weapons from level 11 to level 14. They are decently rare, but can be farmed from enemies (somewhat slowly) that are in the bottom of New Londo. Finally, to get a weapon to level 15, you'll need a Titanite Slab. They are super rare. Like one or two per normal playthrough. Also, you'll need an item to give to the blacksmith to even let you get to the upper levels.

To level up infused weapons, you'll need different coloured titanite, which are decently rare, and only certain blacksmiths can do it.

Unique weapons use Twinkling Titanite, which are decently rare, but can be bought for a ton of souls near the end of the game.

Dragon Bone is used to upgrade Dragon weapons and they are very rare/super expensive.

Boss weapons are upgraded by Demon Titanite (i think). Very rare.

HOT TIP: Don't upgrade armor unless you have more titanite than you know what to do with (which you won't), it's basically useless.

Upgrading your weapon is more important than upgrading your character. Seriously, the difference between a level 1 weapon and level 5 weapon is HUGE. Pick a weapon you like and stick with it. DO NOT spread your titanite around unless you like grinding.

I don't know what you mean by saying "become a ghost", you'll have to clarify that for me. Do you mean Hollow? Sunken Dragon Ring? A spell? As far as I know, there's no way to become totally invisible to enemies.
Oh man. Kinda feel embarrassed for taking your time so much but it is greatly appreciated :)

Very useful tips here. I will focus on one or two weapons and upgrade them but I fear that I will get much better weapons later on and could have used titanite for those.
I am sooo not into grinding so yeah, I will try to force concentrate on a certain skills and weapons to level up. Meh, so far my weapons and skills are enough to succeed and have fun.
I think I'll take this as my birthday present.
Happy birthday?

Happy birthday!
Seems weird having Strider in the anime sale, but whatever.
You are not a Ninja... I am disappointed :mad:

Maniac

Banned

I know right!? It's still how I react whenever I download things or think about the speeds. Or the mere word 'fiber'

:O
I bought a western digital 1tb blue for about $50 just last month. Works great for storage and games. Loads games fine for a hdd. If toy want more space go for the Green drives. A little slower bit more space and more energy efficient. Less $ per GB as well once you go over 1tb.
Cheers man. I'll take a look-see and compare current prices I guess. Ta :)
Even with the highest fire resistance armor in the game, you will still likely die to the dragon fire in one shot. Like I said, he's more of an obstacle/puzzle fight than anything, and you don't get much of anything for killing him. Just let him go and move on.

Yeeeeaaaah I'm gonna have to make you post an in-depth guide somewhere or link to a great Dark Souls resource. I'm personally going to start a new run-through soon, since my first was awful and I honestly can't be bothered saving the savefile from the disgusting, smelly grasp of GFWL.

Ofcourse, you could always... Not do that. Either way, this is pretty handy info to a noob like myself, cheers ;)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Relevant:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If anyone wants the Resident Evil REmake soundtrack or artbook/map, make sure to pre-order. Capcom never put these things up for sale after, they remain pre-order exclusive.

pahamrick

4043982150.png

That is awesome. I'm actually getting faster than the speed test results downloading from Steam (it capped out at 6.8MB/s downloading a game.) Before I capped out at 1.7MB/s so I'm -really- happy with the change.

Happy birthday?

Happy birthday!

It's actually on the 14th, so 6 more days. I was celebrating early, but thanks!

Knurek

GAF other than Hatoful Boyfriend which other games should I get from the anime sale?

Few other great VNs:
Analogue: A Hate Story
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (there's a bit of fighting between reading the dialogue. Not too much though)
Long Live the Queen

What do you think the average is when 0 bundles have been purchased? It isn't $0, that is for sure sop it has to have a value. I've never seen it though but I'd guess it is either $10 or $15.

I don't think they buy anything but they set it like that as otherwise the average wouldn't be a lot above $1 rather than the $3 we tend to see for bundles where the bta isn't too remarkable (although for this one I disagree as bta seems to be the point, for me anyway).

Speaking of which this is a weekly bundle, those normally have fixed points...I suppose the AGDQ bundle gets to do that this week.

*looks at bundle again* Holy shit it has "May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville" which is as blatant a clone of Professor Layton as you can get.

0rbitalis is good why all the negativity in here?

wtf
I remember when people here shat upon that SEGA bundle. You know the one that only had Sonic Racing Transformed in the $1 tier and in week 2 ended up with Sonic Generations in the bta (which I think was $3 at one point). The bundle did have a lot of weird things like DLC for games not even a part of the bundle (months on and I'm still going WTF @ the miles tactic for football manager) so I guess it is like this one which is rather bloated with games of dubious quality (e.g. May's Mysteries).

As a result I tend to take these reactions with a pinch of salt.

strafer

So I have never played the original Resident Evil, does the game have unlocks like in Resident Evil 4 in the likes of Chicago Typewriter, Handcannon etc...adding a little bit of replay value?

So I have never played the original Resident Evil, does the game have unlocks like in Resident Evil 4 in the likes of Chicago Typewriter, Handcannon etc...adding a little bit of replay value?

There's a mode where all the enemies are invinsible. Also there's a mode where there's a zombie chasing you and shooting that zombie ends the game. Oh yeah, and one more mode where the item boxes aren't connected.

Well, that's two weapons to unlock too, but you really have to work for those.

Dr Dogg

The first time in just under a fortnight I drag my mucus filled head over to the desk to see what's the score with Steam and there's a fucking animu sale on, ughhh. Oh well back to hibernating, that and guess I better get my dusty crimbo avatar off and pretty myself up for a RJP swap over :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom