• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

There's a mode where all the enemies are invinsible. Also there's a mode where there's a zombie chasing you and shooting that zombie ends the game. Oh yeah, and one more mode where the item boxes aren't connected.

Well, that's two weapons to unlock too, but you really have to work for those.

Nice, looking forward to dig into that. :)

I guess they don't tell which zombie?

19 days away from the announced release date of GTA 5 and still no specs or pre-purchase option. This doesnt look good.

Is there going to be a disc release for the PC version? If so then they've already gone past the point where they needed to go gold.

Teeth

Oh man. Kinda feel embarrassed for taking your time so much but it is greatly appreciated :)

Very useful tips here. I will focus on one or two weapons and upgrade them but I fear that I will get much better weapons later on and could have used titanite for those.
I am sooo not into grinding so yeah, I will try to force concentrate on a certain skills and weapons to level up. Meh, so far my weapons and skills are enough to succeed and have fun.

Fun fact: the weapons you get later in the game are no more powerful than the ones you start with. Everything has pluses and minuses. You might end up with what seems like a more powerful weapon later on, but it might have a super high weight, or bad move set, or cost tens of thousands of souls to level up.

No joke, I beat Dark Souls 1 my first time through with the Pyromancer hand axe I started with (with a little bit of the lightning spear in Anor Londo). It was like a security blanket and worked great.

The most popular DS1 weapons are the Long Sword, Zweihander, Claymore, Halberd, Giant Club/Large Club and so on. They are all weapons found early in the game. There super powerful weapons like the Black Knight Axe/Greatsword/Sword/Halberd, but they are generally for specialized builds as they cost a fortune to upgrade, have super high stat requirements, and are extremely heavy (and there's no guarantee you'll get the drop either).

A thing you'll notice as you go through is that almost every (non-heavy) weapon has a starting damage around 100. They all cap out around 300-350 at level 15. It's all about the move set and how you play.

Yeeeeaaaah I'm gonna have to make you post an in-depth guide somewhere or link to a great Dark Souls resource. I'm personally going to start a new run-through soon, since my first was awful and I honestly can't be bothered saving the savefile from the disgusting, smelly grasp of GFWL.

Ofcourse, you could always... Not do that. Either way, this is pretty handy info to a noob like myself, cheers ;)

Hey, I love talking Souls games more than any other game. I'll help out any one I can in hoping they'll love the games as much as I do. Anything you want to know, I'll be willing to help out (DS2 too). If you don't see me on, just send me a PM so I can see the post and I'll do whatever I can to help out.

Here I a cool picture I took in DS1 to spice this thread up a bit:
B14F12C86E58C0581D62B546B4548341169833E2

dex3108

19 days away from the announced release date of GTA 5 and still no specs or pre-purchase option. This doesnt look good.

Is there going to be a disc release for the PC version? If so then they've already gone past the point where they needed to go gold.

It is R* we are talking about, they don't care. We will get info when they think it is good time to release ti.

Barbarian

Their continued silence is pretty frustrating. PS4 version is looking more attractive by the minute.

HoosTrax

It's been a long time since I last played Dark Souls 1.

They updated it to have achievements right? They work now? Also, do you still need to apply dsfix, or did they actually address the pathetic port-age?

Shadownet

Banned

They updated it to have achievements right? They work now? Also, do you still need to apply dsfix, or did they actually address the pathetic port-age?
I just started DS1 a while ago after they got rid of GFWL and apparently you still need dsfix.

Lomax

What do you think the average is when 0 bundles have been purchased? It isn't $0, that is for sure sop it has to have a value. I've never seen it though but I'd guess it is either $10 or $15.

There is never a point where the website shows with zero bundles purchased. Today's bundle for example launched with 6 bundles purchased and an average of a little over $6. Other bundles launch in the same range. They certainly could launch with an average of nothing and it would no doubt quickly jump up (and in the very very early days they did just that). But that would undoubtedly lead to an otherwise lower overall BTA due to anchoring effects. It's not like anyone pays more than they choose to, so I understand why they do it. But insofar as what is "best" for the consumer, it isn't exactly fair practice.

As a counterpoint though, most of the early humble bundles (basically up until the EA bundle) would get high end donors like Notch who would put $500+ into the bundle, often quite early, which would result in the BTA jumping up rapidly. That doesn't happen any more, so I'd say overall most BTAs are about the same or often even lower. That ignores the fact that most weeklies don't have a true BTA any more though, and almost every bundle now has at least one fixed price max tier.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of thesaucetastic, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale -- MB-5E8A756E5D05341A - Taken by Water. 20 entrants total.

t1420751595z1.png

Bigby

Yeah, achievements work if you set beta to dsptde 2.0

Knurek

Anyone has some experience with Gameplay Time Tracker?

I'm looking for a tool to track gametime for non-Steam games (mostly for 52games/year thread, but also for my own curiosity).
Don't want Raptor.
Anyone know of another tool? Or does the one linked above work fine?
(Kind of wary of a random Russian tool)

Grief.exe

You need to update to the Beta build to access Achievements and Steamworks functionality. DSFix is still required.

If you want to keep your saves, then a certain process must be gone through. Basically, install the old version, apply the various fixes to get GFWL working, and log in. Then select the beta update and you should be good to go. If you aren't worried about your old saves and want to start over fresh, then just install the beta update from the start.
I chose to just use my old saves since I really don't have the time to do 2-3 play throughs to get all the necessary items, but starting over fresh would be the ultimate experience.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Since it seems everyone in this thread loves anime so much:

Steam Keys for Duplicity ~Beyond The Lies~ have been added to the Groupees Doujin 3 bundle

Finally, I can play the game with the creepy eyes. Awesome

Apparently XB1 sold less than 1k last week in Japan.

This should mean Japanese companies will embrace Steam more and more, right?
Please say I'm right

Especially for XB1 "exclusives."

Right, Swery?

Resident Evil / biohazard HD REMASTER pre-order is up.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/304240/

Really excited to buy it
in the summer sale for $9.99

Look at this thing! Valve's finally given up on their sales.

NinjaEdit: One Way Heroics is in the sale! Buy it!

"Finally"? Did you miss the last few minor sales or something? :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I want Dragon Quest games on Steam. I mean, iOS is getting DQV, I never played those:

https://prelaunch.me/a/OA

The problem with the iOS / Android ports of the Dragon Quest games is that they all force vertical orientation on the tablet or phone screens. They can't be changed to a horizontal layout like most PC monitors display.

So at best they would look kinda like this game does, which I imagine is a pretty huge turn-off for most people. Besides, the port of DQ8 is pretty terrible when compared to the PS2 version.

Knurek

Anyone who put Planetarian in your GOTY list -- please tell me why it warranted a spot in those five precious slots?

TWD feels without clunky Telltale engine?

So at best they would look kinda like this game does, which I imagine is a pretty huge turn-off for most people. Besides, the port of DQ8 is pretty terrible when compared to the PS2 version.

jshackles, I am dissappoint.
Dissing Crimzon Clover? Say it ain't so.

Shadownet

Banned
Well. I guess it was too much to expect.

Still, guess I'll give the game another go for the cheevos. Hopefully I make it past O&S this time around :
Man, the game kept crashing on me after the opening cinematic untill I installed dsfix. So I couldn't even play the game till now.

It might be just me though..

Dr Dogg

Anyone who put Planetarian in your GOTY list -- please tell me why it warranted a spot in those five precious slots?

I think 5 is quite a nice number to really narrow the field down, maybe even 3 so it really is closer selection but I have a real hard time trying to put one title above another as I can like quite a few games equally for doing different things. Getting the 40 odd games of 2014 I had played reduced down to 5 was hard enough let alone rank them over one another. If I had my way I'd give them all 3 points a piece and declare them all the winners (and get my vote disqualified in the process).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, I am dissappoint.
Dissing Crimzon Clover? Say it ain't so.

Not a dis, just giving an example of what it would look like on the screen is all.

I've never actually played Crimzon Clover

I actually just bought DQ IV and V on DS as I've heard they are among the best in the series.

You heard correctly, both are amazing. Personally I place them in the "god tier" among JRPGs such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with the iOS / Android ports of the Dragon Quest games is that they all force vertical orientation on the tablet or phone screens. They can't be changed to a horizontal layout like most PC monitors display.

What about the DS versions of IV, V, VI, and IX? I mean, I don't think we'll ever get ports of the old DQ games, but do you think that ports of the DS games would suffer in the same way?

Since it has to connect to steam, it doesn't really matter if its gold yet or not. In fact the disc could just be a steam install and a link to start downloading and that could have been pressed a long tim ago.

jshackles

What about the DS versions of IV, V, VI, and IX? I mean, I don't think we'll ever get ports of the old DQ games, but do you think that ports of the DS games would suffer in the same way?

Yeah they definitely would. The iOS / Android games are mostly ports from the DS version. Although the aspect ratios on the individual DS screens are correct, you kind of have to think of it as one big screen on top of another big screen which is why it was done the way it was when it was ported over for phones and tablets.

Personally, I'd love to buy these games again for the millionth time on Steam, but I'm skeptical of it happening unless they re-port everything again.

It's not like the previous DQ game weren't made with a 4:3 aspect ratio - the ports should work just fine IMO.

Right exactly. It's within the realm of possibility for them to port these to PC, but it would require them to basically start from the ground up and re-port the games from their original source.

Jawmuncher

Was the best story I read all year.
While I love a multitude of games, I have always put story over gameplay.
One of the reason's stuff like TT games and the like do not bother me at all.

Speevy

Banned
A splash of this and that

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Croixleur Sigma -- MB-4B42F309245E2FDE - Taken by bigzgod. 29 entrants total.
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package -- MB-9E727DAD8F959FB2 - Taken by mrks. 11 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 Full Burst -- MB-2EF8E2038529CF5C - Taken by fspm. 49 entrants total.
Ys Origin -- MB-CB7A95A505253387 - Taken by Cth. 31 entrants total.
Long Live The Queen -- MB-37CAF1BA8630A042 - Taken by GaussTek. 20 entrants total.
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale -- MB-2780EFD64F24B318 - Taken by Blitzhex. 29 entrants total.
Eryi's Action -- MB-66F8537CD239047B - Taken by auroragoryalice. 11 entrants total.

t1420760244z1.png

autoduelist

Dude just had to post the most ovarian screenshot of the game possible.

That was completely unintentional, lol. If you google 'nethack' it's one of the 7 images (3rd one) on the right sidebar, and I just clicked it grabbed it.

But, there's no doubt that randomized dungeon will get some people horny. I wish I could claim responsibility for putting thought into that choice, and it wasn't just my subconscious having a laugh.

EDIT -- actually, iirc that's a preset dungeon level, not a fully randomized one.

I heard this is good! I spent money on it, but now it's in a bundle. You know how it goes.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Lovely planet -- MB-4F74EA0CCAD9F4B0 - Taken by Loptous

kudoboi

Actually, to hell with it, I'm a bastard.

4043982150.png

Mind you this is... Entirely mindblowing to me. Especially considering there's no such thing as caps here, if there was I'd have thrown a fair few fits loooong ago.

But yeah, I've had it for a few hours now, and I still can't quite comprehend it, lol.

wait till you try 1GBPS internet which is standard here now. (or will be for all ISPs in less than a year)

jshackles

Annubis

Is it me or are all those Anime deals the same as the baseline deals from the winter sale?

EDIT: well except Carpe Fulgur stuff because it got lost in the mail

All the DLC for Agarest is shit, right?

You need to update to the Beta build to access Achievements and Steamworks functionality. DSFix is still required.

If you want to keep your saves, then a certain process must be gone through. Basically, install the old version, apply the various fixes to get GFWL working, and log in. Then select the beta update and you should be good to go. If you aren't worried about your old saves and want to start over fresh, then just install the beta update from the start.
I chose to just use my old saves since I really don't have the time to do 2-3 play throughs to get all the necessary items, but starting over fresh would be the ultimate experience.

I had all my achievements unlock w/o entering the beta branch.

Annubis

Well, unfortunately nothing ever went on a daily unless I'm mistaken.

yeah, but most of those games had a sale length discount equal to those.

I'm certain of the following being the same:
- Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae 75%
- Long Live The Queen 50%
- planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ 50%
- Analogue: A Hate Story 75%
- Eryi's Action 50%
- Sakura Spirit 66%
- The Sacred Tears TRUE 50%
- Hate Plus 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom