• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

I haven't gotten any in my profile comments yet but I got another 2 random invites overnight.

Me: Cool, someone wants to me to join something or be inundated with my crap screenshots.

Reality: Level 0, private profile, no firends groups in commom. :(

I get at least 5-10 random level 0 invites a day now.

Always is an auto block.

East and West.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux -- MB-62D1BD262662E6EE - Taken by NihonTiger90
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition -- MB-BD07AD7589A9F3A9 - Taken by Madn

Dr Dogg

Yeah I get the feeling there's very few Win 8 owners here. Use a Microsoft Account to sign in? Well there's your connectivity and sync with the app store, Xbox Games, Skype and other Microsoft based services and that's been around since the preview of 8. Microsoft will never do a bunch of separate services again as they have already tied up everything into a unified Live login. Also bear in mind Windows 10 proper is over a year away (at least) and any idea for a very misguided GFWL 2.0 may as well been used to increase Win 8 adoption. More the likely any Xbox announcements at the Consumer Preview event later this month will be focusing on how 10 integrates across devices including Xbox One which still hasn't got universal app yet. Though Smart Glass for XO just came out of beta this week.

Actually speaking of Windows and new versions and so forth Mainstream Support for 7 is due to end in a couple of weeks so while it will still get Extended Support by way of security updates and bug fixes it's going to be feature complete now so now more major features, Service Packs or DirectX revisions for Win 7 folks.

An actual topic on the Resident Evil HD Steam Boards:

"Are we making this a thing now?
I keep seeing old games re-appearing on steam for silly prices, like 15 or 20 bucks, when you can them for anything from 1 dollar to 5 through other sources. or maybe they think they're worth that much because their not being sold normally anymore XD"

'_' I really need to stop being curious and visiting those boards.

Oh just wait there will be cretinous folks complaining about 'tank controls' and 'static camera angles' and how it makes the game feel 'dated' soon enough.

It's been a while since my last writeup, but I aim to do these more frequently this year.

Yeah I've been meaning to post a few Surface impressions, even went and bought GestureWorks during the sale but I've been very lazy as of this year. Still is my posturing plan of not buying any games this year (well excluding ones I've already paid for) comes to fruition then I might have some good motivation. Still it's better than my other New Years resolution... which is 2540x1080

MRORANGE

With only 24 hours to go, it's your last chance to participate the Steam GOTY Awards.

jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF GOTY Award, every year gaffers choose choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam,
game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out last year's nail-biting results.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released from 2014
- Episodic games that overlap 2013/2014 can be counted as long as they have not been used in the 2013 Steam GOTY
- Re-release in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Vote thrown if the bin if you fail to follow rules
t1420848000z0.png

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
[B]Game 5 (1 point) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 4 (2 points) [/B]: INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 3 (3 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 2 (4 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 1  (5 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE

[B]Why I want this game as GOTY  (Optional) :[/B] WRITE COMMENTS HERE

Reposting for next page:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux -- MB-62D1BD262662E6EE - Taken by NihonTiger90
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition -- MB-BD07AD7589A9F3A9 - Taken by Madn

Chariot

Bah. I managed to beat the Knights in Shovel Knight, which was surprisingly easy in my second attempt. Maybe it was also because I had a better oder, with the easier ones appearing at the end. But now I am hanging at the enchantress. I tried half an hour to beat her, nearest I came was 2 and a half hearts. The fact that she flies and that the stage is destroyable makes this fight really sucky. I hate that high chance of instant kill :/

Cth

Yeah I get the feeling there's very few Win 8 owners here. Use a Microsoft Account to sign in? Well there's your connectivity and sync with the app store, Xbox Games, Skype and other Microsoft based services and that's been around since the preview of 8. Microsoft will never do a bunch of separate services again as they have already tied up everything into a unified Live login. Also bear in mind Windows 10 proper is over a year away (at least) and any idea for a very misguided GFWL 2.0 may as well been used to increase Win 8 adoption. More the likely any Xbox announcements at the Consumer Preview event later this month will be focusing on how 10 integrates across devices including Xbox One which still hasn't got universal app yet. Though Smart Glass for XO just came out of beta this week.

One thing I hate about how Win 8/XBL is currently set up is how it will automatically generate a gamertag if you don't set up your windows login with a MS account.

It makes sense that they dont want to bog people down in the gamertag selection process, but in doing so, it royally screws with things.

I went to redeem an XBL code and lost it forever because it defaulted to the generated gamertag instead of prompting me to log in with my XBL account. Support has no way of finding out information on those accounts if you don't have the email address it was created with.

TL;DR - I hope they've fixed this issue. I like the unified login stuff, but it has to be set up from the start or it's just asking for trouble.

Yeah I've been meaning to post a few Surface impressions, even went and bought GestureWorks during the sale but I've been very lazy as of this year. Still is my posturing plan of not buying any games this year (well excluding ones I've already paid for) comes to fruition then I might have some good motivation. Still it's better than my other New Years resolution... which is 2540x1080

Heh, yeah I saw you get it and picked it up myself. Haven't tried it yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to review.

Read a summary of season 2. Only watch it if you have a very high tolerance to relationship melodrama. I finished season 3 just two days ago and it was SO much better.

I didn't enjoy the love triangle bit in Season 1 where one of the guys saw Korra with his brother. Also, I didn't like Korra's attitude in the finale, for some reason. Lastly, I find that child airbender obnoxious.

So, do you think there's at least a few things that are good in Season 2? Even if there's like 1, I'll still watch it! I mean, I'll watch it anyway but some reassurance would be great.

Cth

Ahh cool, I won Ys Origin! I haven't played the series before, I take it this is a good place to start?

Maniac

Banned
Has anyone played Eternal Winter? I'm curious about it but its the only game out of the bundle I'm interested in. I just picked up The Long Dark recently and was hoping for more opinions.

The Long Dark is great. Eternal Winter is... Not. It's awful. It's barely even a game. There's nothing there. It's just... Eurgh. Give it a few months, it may be good, however at this point it just seems to be a quick n' dirty tech-demo-clone of TLD.

... TLD is really good though, I've already played a few dozen hours I think.

Jawmuncher

Just finished up Watch Dogs. It was a lot better than I expected considering the reaction to it. Was well worth the 18 dollars I paid for it and would recommend it for 20 easily. I really enjoyed the combat with the mix of stealth if you wanted and the story I thought was quite good where sand box games are considered. The way I played along with the ending fit pretty well with the Dark Knight quote "you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villian".

autoduelist

What game are you even talking about?

damn cut and paste failed me. Total War Shogun 2.

Oh just wait there will be cretinous folks complaining about 'tank controls' and 'static camera angles' and how it makes the game feel 'dated' soon enough.

To be fair, both of those are archaic. Tank controls are awful. Interfaces are interfaces, and there are advancements across the board over time. Some older PC rpgs can be hard to manage too. Calling people 'cretinous' for not liking outdated interfaces seems a bit... harsh and unnecessary?

Lain

So looking at the anime sale..three games I want.

Than I see:

"Historical Lowest Price XXX at steam on XX XX XX"

Why were the games cheaper before on steam? Oo

Because sometimes %discounts go lower and sometimes they don't. Not every time a game goes on sale it does so at the same or a bigger discount that the previous time, though it's what one would expect. There are also other reasons that can make that happen, like CS:GO, though.

The_Monk

Hello my good people hope everyone is doing fine! I finished my first Steam game of 2015

yuFItC9l.png

I'm still thinking if I should bother doing my little impressions or not in a Steam review, but I had a great time with the Story mode. The constant feel of being away from the civilization as well the narrow corridors from the ship make a tense atmosphere all the time. I only tried some levels in the Raid Mode and it seemed interesting, I can see many people spending some good hours in it. I was expecting a bit more when it comes to the length of the game but that's because I was probably having fun and didn't want it to end.

The main soundtrack theme is quite fitting and well made. I found myself listening a bit before entering the game and it was fun having a "Previously on..." each time I started a new Episode. The weapons felt good, the gameplay was solid without any major complaints as well the visuals and the steady framerate. The fact that the game is on a ship was really interesting and creative as well. After some time, you start to get a sense of claustrophobia since you are away from everything and everyone. I also took my time to read all the diaries I've found along the game. My only complain would be my sidekick. I have never felt that he/she helped me once. I wish they could worked better the A.I companion otherwise I felt it was just a constant ghost walking by my side, doing very little.

bigzgod

is the presequal a full game? or more like a dlc?

It's a full game but the campaign is a lot shorter, at least it felt that way to me. It was still fun though and the mechanics in space were great. I wouldn't really bother with the SP unless you're a huge fan though. The content so far is pretty underwhelming, even though I only paid $10 for the SP. Nothing like the extra campaigns from BL2's SP.

bluechox2

It's a 'full game,' by which I mean half the size of Borderlands with worse writing but cooler mechanics but equally boring maps at full price.

So its slightly bigger than a dlc, but with new "space" mechanics, so making it a new game for 60 dollars sounded better then using it as another dlc for like 10 bucks

Nabs

Here are some deals with GMG's HAPPYN-EWYEAR-22OFFG voucher that are now the games' historical lowest prices:

The Sacred Tears TRUE - $3.90
Velocibox - $0.97
A Story About My Uncle - $2.53
Danmaku Unlimited 2 - $0.78

All Steam keys (I checked this time). I'm surprised Velocibox got down so quickly, it just came out in September. It's basically like 3D Super Hexagon, apparently.

Velocibox is also apart of the recent Bundlestars Abstract bundle. 2.50 for a nice group of games. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/abstract-bundle/

Bah. I managed to beat the Knights in Shovel Knight, which was surprisingly easy in my second attempt. Maybe it was also because I had a better oder, with the easier ones appearing at the end. But now I am hanging at the enchantress. I tried half an hour to beat her, nearest I came was 2 and a half hearts. The fact that she flies and that the stage is destroyable makes this fight really sucky. I hate that high chance of instant kill :/

I remember her being a pain in the ass. The 3DS version was good for that kind of thing since you can always leave the game running while it sleeps.

Fun game though. Just try not to cry when considering that there are achievements for beating the game without dying and other ridiculous feats.

dani_dc

Whenever I see those threads I wonder how many of the people excited game on PC. I can't imagine anyone that seriously plays on PC seeing Microsoft trying to use their OS monopoly position to brute force their way into PC market and thinking that such would be a good thing.

Unless the announcement is just "we're bringing more games to Steam/drm-free" the announcement is going to leave me concerned more than anything.

Shantom

I think I may have played a bit of Origin way back when it came out on PSP (the original one), but didn't get very far in and it was ages ago, so I'll just approach this as a complete newbie.
Should I be starting with Ys: Origin first?

Also, if my funds would be better suited to getting only 2 out of the 3, would Origin and Oath be sufficient? Or is Ys I + II good enough to warrant getting the entire series?
Origin is PC exclusive, so it must've been Ys 1 or Oath you played on PSP. Origin is IMO the best game from the series on Steam, but it's arguable that Oath is a better starting point since Origin's story is tied in with Ys 1+2.
As for whether you should buy Ys 1+2 or not, it's difficult to say because the battle system in those games is pretty unique-you run into enemies and, if you don't hit them head on you'll damage them, while you'll take damage otherwise. I think it's a very neat system and therefore worth playing, but if you're on the fence it's worth bearing in mind that the games have all been 75% off before, and will be that price again, so you could wait for a better sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom