• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strider for 50%? We could have had it for 75% if those other people hadn't screwed it up by voting for that one Sim group during last summer's sale. The wait continues...

Corpekata

Banned
Whenever I see those threads I wonder how many of the people excited game on PC. I can't imagine anyone that seriously plays on PC seeing Microsoft trying to use their OS monopoly position to brute force their way into PC market and thinking that such would be a good thing.

Unless the announcement is just "we're bringing more games to Steam/drm-free" the announcement is going to leave me concerned more than anything.

A lot of people would rather have the games than not, even with shitty DRM or shitty ports. I don't like GFWL but I'll be damned if I wasn't frothing for Dark Souls, shitty port and all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
We have gone full lewd.

DyYUVcS.png

Congratulations, Bayonetta.

Nabs

Beta time:

General

• Reduced CPU usage when interacting with the main Steam client window
  • Fixed starting Steam if instance is already running in other local Windows user session
  • Fixed FPS counter text cut-off and improved readability
Broadcast

• Added microphone state icon to broadcast LIVE banner
  • Microphone recording follows Push-To-Talk settings from Steam voice chat
Broadcast & In-Home Streaming

• Fixed video recording severely impacting OpenGL games perf in some cases
  • Fixed recording only a green screen in some cases

Vecks

Started playing Remember Me again, after taking a long break. So far, the combat can be frustrating, especially when it comes to fighting giant robots. Gameplay is rather shallow. And story doesn't really seem all that interesting. But I still dig the setting, and the game is fun for the most part. Might try to stick with it and finish it this time around.

Bundle junk for all:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 22 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Summoner -- MB-FF5A327EFFD05174 - Taken by yoshizzle
Concursion -- MB-F9C39E2D49FBBF3D - Taken by Kifimbo
To The Moon -- MB-82084965CF4636FD - Taken by Akuosa
Great Permutator -- MB-D2476A55A1A21298 - Taken by bluechox2
The Maker's Eden -- MB-95E7EE25C002CFC2 - Taken by drakaenae
Pulstar -- MB-124EC6EA8CE3BCEF - Taken by nja
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate -- MB-97A94DF65E8B81BC - Taken by alr1ght
0RBITALIS -- MB-B29FA0EEB245CC32 - Taken by derExperte
Making History II: The War of the World -- MB-6FC25120A1026474 - Taken by SSPssp
Knights of Pen and Paper Plus 1 Edition -- MB-74683C7062DDA85C - Taken by lindarasta
Blast Em! -- MB-42B2C89062361EBD - Taken by Loptous
Speedball 2 HD -- MB-FC53724FFFDA7927 - Taken by Conrad Link
Megabyte Punch -- MB-49D6E8C3403C8AE5 - Taken by billmcdougal
Biglands -- MB-294932B7DCA87270 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-C3C77A1B50192656 - Taken by freshVeggie
Blood Knights -- MB-E43DB8CFA433C655 - Taken by Servizio
The Chaos Engine -- MB-509F8B19FF55DA21 - Taken by NihonTiger90
Chronology -- MB-84D93E19827AC09D - Taken by GaussTek
Guns of Icarus Online -- MB-0B07A5D09402B8D6 - Taken by agniswarm
Probably Archery -- MB-B30BE664782BB05D - Taken by sensoft04
Meltdown -- MB-C02C7ED5402EE2BE - Taken by gaiadyne
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-F4AA4326474EDA6F - Taken by Hanzou

Are any of the other games on that weekly HB bundle any good? I really only want Speedball 2.

Edit: lol, well that was weird timing - thanks bobnowhere. XD

I get disappointed everytime I realize The Chaos Engine is a top down shooter and not an RPG. The logo and setting scream epic Fallout-style RPG! This has plagued me ever since I saw the game's cover at a friend's house as a young kid.

Barbarian

I get disappointed everytime I realize The Chaos Engine is a top down shooter and not an RPG. The logo and setting scream epic Fallout-style RPG! This has plagued me ever since I saw the game's cover at a friend's house as a young kid.

If it's the same game I had on my Super Nintendo, it's more of a Gauntlet clone. I remember it being pretty fun when played co-op with a friend.

10 second ninja has a pretty good reputation.

Hmm that does look pretty cool. Sooo many games, as someone who just started buying Steam stuff its a bit overwhelming!

More actual worthwhile stuff than you could ever play let-a-lone the 'meh' stuff you also pick up because why not lol.

Unicorn

I've been hooked on the Demo for Drift Stage (Greenlit on Steam, yay!), and I think I'm willing to dip into the racing genre again (predominantly arcadey). The style is a large part as to why I'm hooked.

Apart from Drift Stage and Hotline Miami, what other good games are there that also have this very stylized look to graphics, soundtrack, and gameplay?

What are some other excellent racers available on Steam?

dot

I've been hooked on the Demo for Drift Stage (Greenlit on Steam, yay!), and I think I'm willing to dip into the racing genre again (predominantly arcadey). The style is a large part as to why I'm hooked.

Apart from Drift Stage and Hotline Miami, what other good games are there that also have this very stylized look to graphics, soundtrack, and gameplay?

I've heard good things about Distance.

Nabs

Have you seen Distance?

e: grrr.

Phew. Dark Souls got me by the balls. Real good.

Second day and already over 12 hours clocked in :/

I feel the beginning is much smoother than with Demon's Souls. The start there was such a punch in the face. You couldn't even upgrade or level up before beating the first boss - which could very well take you several hours for even reaching him!

Besides all that praise, I feel like I hit a wall now. The freaking Gargoyles on the roof are handing me my ass. Repeatedly. Can't even find time to drink Eastus. Upgraded my Battle Axe and Shield to +5 and the axe does do good damage once I hit.

Problem is, I figure out the pattern on one guy then the second keeps lighting my ass on fire. I dodge away, drink Eastus and the first stomps me while healing.

Had enough after a couple tries.

Before tackling the Gargoyles I did wander through the world though. I came to some garden where trees attacked me and then sleeping knights woke up. Was low on health and couldn't take on two knights, so I fled. An option to fill Eastus without resetting enemies would be nice.
Then I went way, way down and landed before a bridge where blue dragons were. Arrowed two away and followed a narrow path along a cliff and ended before a sleeping Dragon. Managed to grab all loot before waking him up and dying, hah. Didn't see anything beyond the Dragon, so I didn't try to sneak past him again.
At last I came to the connection between Undead Burg and the Forrest. There were some Crystal enemies which had some super cool attacks. They were pretty easy to defeat though. The multiple-headed water-snake-monster? Not so much. Grabbed Knight armor set right in front of him and tried running at him but fell into a underwater pit lol
Coming back again, I ran past the Crystal monsters towards the entrance of a tower where Havel (I guess) promptly stomped me with his weird hammer. That guy sucks. One hits me all the time. No clue how/if I should tackle him.
I met the Onion knight and freed a golden knight from a prison but not much happened.

Not gonna tackle the gargoyles again soon though. They suck.
Fun fact: the weapons you get later in the game are no more powerful than the ones you start with. Everything has pluses and minuses. You might end up with what seems like a more powerful weapon later on, but it might have a super high weight, or bad move set, or cost tens of thousands of souls to level up.
No joke, I beat Dark Souls 1 my first time through with the Pyromancer hand axe I started with (with a little bit of the lightning spear in Anor Londo). It was like a security blanket and worked great.
The most popular DS1 weapons are the Long Sword, Zweihander, Claymore, Halberd, Giant Club/Large Club and so on. They are all weapons found early in the game. There super powerful weapons like the Black Knight Axe/Greatsword/Sword/Halberd, but they are generally for specialized builds as they cost a fortune to upgrade, have super high stat requirements, and are extremely heavy (and there's no guarantee you'll get the drop either).
A thing you'll notice as you go through is that almost every (non-heavy) weapon has a starting damage around 100. They all cap out around 300-350 at level 15. It's all about the move set and how you play.
Here I a cool picture I took in DS1 to spice this thread up a bit:
Nice post. I found a blacksmith who sells titanite shards for 800. Maxed out my Battle Axe super fast and cheap. Think I am gonna do some farm runs tomorrow and upgrade another weapon. The axe is powerful but slow.
I need to find a way to get less damage from fire though somehow. My character is also a Pyromancer but I have yet to find new spells :/
Something like Soul Arrow would be nice. The fire balls are really short-distance.
A splash of this and that
Oh wow. Speevy apparently didn't blow all his load during winter ;)

Gargoyles are easy. Just gotta kill the first one as fast as possible.
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-30107-Justin-Timberlake-WTF-WHAT-gif-ZWRL.gif[/][/QUOTE]
I actually would have loved there a "Easy Mode" to be :/
Challenge is nice but sometimes I just wanna bash away without being to careful.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Before tackling the Gargoyles I did wander through the world though. I came to some garden where trees attacked me and then sleeping knights woke up. Was low on health and couldn't take on two knights, so I fled. An option to fill Eastus without resetting enemies would be nice.

You get to upgrade them later so they give you more than 5 fills per bonfire. Gargoyles also don't like fire. :)

Annubis

The most popular DS1 weapons are the Long Sword, Zweihander, Claymore, Halberd, Giant Club/Large Club and so on. They are all weapons found early in the game. There super powerful weapons like the Black Knight Axe/Greatsword/Sword/Halberd, but they are generally for specialized builds as they cost a fortune to upgrade, have super high stat requirements, and are extremely heavy (and there's no guarantee you'll get the drop either).

Nice post. I found a blacksmith who sells titanite shards for 800. Maxed out my Battle Axe super fast and cheap. Think I am gonna do some farm runs tomorrow and upgrade another weapon. The axe is powerful but slow.

I feel like I'm one of the few that did an AGI build using an Iaito.
Would I replay the game though, I'd probably go heavy STR and use a huge 2H mace for shit and giggles.

Portugeezer

Is there a PC hardware thread? I have trouble finding it.

Anyway, I am thinking about building a PC in the near future, GPU is going to be a R9 290, but I'm checking CPU's and Intel is more or less around double the price as the equivalent AMD CPU (on The Witcher 3 Specs).

I went with AMD CPU on my previous PC and was met by some CPU bottlenecks in a handful of games. So I'm just wondering, how is the AMD FX-8350 in comparison to a Intel i7-3770, and how important is CPU going to be for PC gaming, I realise consoles have weaker CPU's but more cores so I don't know if this will have a factor in future games.

Thanks.

From those anime games sale, I had agarest on wishlist, but there are more games on sale... Any recommendations?

Dice, from what game is that preorder rewards? any good game coming up I need to know about? :p

HoosTrax

Were miracles any good in DS1?

I think Lightning Spear (all variants) + Dragon Chime was my bread and butter in DS2, but I vaguely recall people saying that Pyromancy was the way to go in DS1. (Haven't put in nearly as much time in the first game as in the sequel)

def sim

Is there a PC hardware thread? I have trouble finding it.

Anyway, I am thinking about building a PC in the near future, GPU is going to be a R9 290, but I'm checking CPU's and Intel is more or less around double the price as the equivalent AMD CPU (on The Witcher 3 Specs).

I went with AMD CPU on my previous PC and was met by some CPU bottlenecks in a handful of games. So I'm just wondering, how is the AMD FX-8350 in comparison to a Intel i7-3770, and how important is CPU going to be for PC gaming, I realise consoles have weaker CPU's but more cores so I don't know if this will have a factor in future games.

Thanks.

We've always had these threads hanging around the front page. :p

Absolutely go Intel and, if you have the money, spring for an unlocked i7. Those eight threads will be beneficial moving forward. A 3770k would be fine, but why go for ivy bridge? The Haswell refresh would do you fine. You should get longer and more detailed answers in the thread I linked.

I don't remember the sword being that OP....but I did use it the whole game :X

It kinda depends on where you are, stat-wise. For me, it was a huge improvement over what I had, but it's a pain to upgrade. I forget who it was, but a helpful gaffer (edit: it was Maxwood) suggested I use a regular weapon so that I can upgrade my stats better. Pretty soon my regular sword was much better than the Drake Sword.

Nabs

Were miracles any good in DS1?

I think Lightning Spear (all variants) + Dragon Chime was my bread and butter in DS2, but I vaguely recall people saying that Pyromancy was the way to go in DS1. (Haven't put in nearly as much time in the first game as in the sequel)

Pyro and Sorcery are both pretty strong in DS1.

Jawmuncher

It has good base stats but terrible scaling.
It can dish it really good early but it's already pretty bad mid game.
I'm surprised you found it any good at the end.

I also went through half of DS2 without even making any weapon plus anything until I got the bandit axe. I always think the game is supposed to be like that until I remember I can upgrade.

Portugeezer

We've always had these threads hanging around the front page. :p

Absolutely go Intel and, if you have the money, spring for an unlocked i7. Those eight threads will be beneficial moving forward. A 3770k would be fine, but why go for ivy bridge? The Haswell refresh would do you fine. You should get longer and more detailed answers in the thread I linked.

I had a feeling there was a thread but couldn't see it for some reason. Thanks for linking.

Deitus

Gargoyles are going to be tough your first time through. Some people can breeze through them, but for most people it's the first real obstacle you run into.
Was low on health and couldn't take on two knights, so I fled. An option to fill Eastus without resetting enemies would be nice.

Being able to refill Estus without respawning enemies would completely defeat the point. There are hidden bonfires in some places, so if you can find those, it makes running back to refill flasks less of a burden.

You definitely seem to be doing a lot of exploring which is good, but you do want to remember that some places are going to be too high level for you early on. I wouldn't worry about the Hydra (multiple-headed water-snake-monster) just yet, but you should be able to take on Havel if you get good at dodging. His attacks are mostly really slow, so it's quite easy to bait him into attacking, and then hit him while he recovers. He is wearing some of the strongest armor in the game though, so it will take many hits to kill him, even if you manage to backstab him. Still, he drops a pretty good item, so it's definitely worth taking him out. But it's not necessary to beat him to progress, so if he is frustrating you, you can always come back later.

I need to find a way to get less damage from fire though somehow. My character is also a Pyromancer but I have yet to find new spells :/
Something like Soul Arrow would be nice. The fire balls are really short-distance.

I used the battle axe early on as well, but eventually ditched it because of the speed. Early on it's important to try all of the different weapons you come across, because they all handle very different in terms of speed, range, and movesets. You definitely want to find a weapon that suits your playstyle.

You do have to go a decent amount further before you gain access to the Pyromancy trainer sadly. As for Soul Arrow, you actually could get that right now (it's available as soon as you get to Firelink the first time) if you know where to look. It's not in a super obvious spot though. Although it's not going to hit super hard at low levels of INT, so you definitely want to be proficient in melee as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom