• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

Has anyone purchased Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum off the store and have problems with it?

I'm able to play the game for 1-5 minutes before it crashes...?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

You get to upgrade them later so they give you more than 5 fills per bonfire. Gargoyles also don't like fire. :)
I did already. I am too slow to focus on enemy and healing. I am getting old ;_;
Actually, I did throw fireballs at one Gargoyle and yeah, it did good damage. It just ain't good for me since I can't move while throwing them.
I feel like I'm one of the few that did an AGI build using an Iaito.
Would I replay the game though, I'd probably go heavy STR and use a huge 2H mace for shit and giggles.
I think I will level up agility heavily. Gotta flank those bastards.
They remind me of the Maneaters in Demon's Souls. Hated them too.
If you are really struggling with health you can always use some humanity or heal miracles.
Thanks. Will look up a Wiki maybe. So far I went in mostly blind though.
You could try getting the Drake Sword and using that for the fight, though if you do get it, I don't recommend continuing using it except occasionally in tough situations.
I did get it already :3
..but it needs 16 Strength. F that. I'm gonna dump everything into Agility and Dexterity.
Gargoyles are going to be tough your first time through. Some people can breeze through them, but for most people it's the first real obstacle you run into.[..]
Veeery useful stuff. Thanks!

What is the advised program to cap framerates at 30?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Conrad Link, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-4FC2087EA9AD60D3 - Taken by 7Sins. 3 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-7BD291D9653FE472 - Taken by Casimir. 3 entrants total.

t1420786222z1.png

First time doing a giveaway, hope I did the steps correctly - please tell me if your links don't work or something lol. >_< Cheers! :D

Zafir

Grav seems like it could be fun, but I've spent more time messing about with the server stuff and getting friends into my server than I have actually playing it. x.x

The server list is broken and there isn't really much info around about the dedicated servers. Passwords don't seem to be supported, so people kept randomly joining a server I was hosting for a few friends and I to play on. >.< Would be fine, but PvP is enabled by default.

Messiah

Risk of Rain is really clicking with me now.
Loving it.

Still have to find people to play online with though. Wish the game had servers.

The game is really great. I only managed to play like one complete round of online mode. There are a lot of problems with the online mode unfortunately like really bad netcode and regular desyncs and crashes.

Zafir

There's an Anime themed sale going on. And right in time for me as I was wanting for some more Japanese game on steam.

Which ones are must have? Note that I already own and love the Falcom games.

Agarest games if you like Strategy RPGs and can tolerate the fan service. Naruto games if you like fighters and/or Naruto(Perhaps better off waiting for a better price on Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution, though). King of Fighters and Blazblue if you like fighters(Be warned, Blazblue Calamity Trigger doesn't have online as far as I'm aware).

Deitus

Were miracles any good in DS1?

I think Lightning Spear (all variants) + Dragon Chime was my bread and butter in DS2, but I vaguely recall people saying that Pyromancy was the way to go in DS1. (Haven't put in nearly as much time in the first game as in the sequel)

I've never done a Miracle build, so I can't really answer your question.

But the main reason Pyromancy is so praised in DS1 is that it does not scale in any way with stats, though it still does a ton of damage. You do need to upgrade the Pyromancy Flame to improve your damage, but it doesn't waste precious stat points that could otherwise be used elsewhere. As such, you can use Pyromancy in basically any build, provided you have a free hand to equip the flame in. You do still have to invest in spell slots though, but if pyromancy is just a compliment to your main build, you probably won't need to equip many.

As for why it is recommended to start as a Pyromancer, it is the only class that starts at level 1. This sounds like a bad thing, but you level up fast at the low levels and if you are concerned with an efficient character build, you want to not have a bunch of stat points wasted on stats that your final build doesn't need. Additionally, he starts with a Pyromancy flame, which is acquired later than other spell tools, so even if you wanted a miracle build you could start as a Pyromancer and acquire Miracles very early on.

Unless you have a specific build in mind I wouldn't ignore putting points into strength.

Depends on what you mean by specific build. Strength is literally useless to you if you don't use a weapon that scales with Strength, beyond the minimum amount of STR needed to weild your weapon in the first place. I wouldn't go recommending people investing heavily in STR unless they are building in a way that would make use of it. Anyone using primarily daggers, curved swords, or katanas are not going to need much in the way of STR. And of course high STR is wasted when elemental weapons come into play.

Many players will need to pump some points into STR to effectively make use of their weapons, but a lot of players make the mistake of leveling up the stat thinking it is increasing their damage output, only to find out later that it only applies to weapons with STR scaling.

Messiah

What happens if a player dies during co-op?

The remaining player can go on and the dead player gets revived after you reach the next area.

Oh...hmm..That sucks.
Thanks for the info.
Don't know if they fixed it in the recent patch. Was really disappointed when I tried it some time ago.

The one time it worked it was a really enjoyable experience. You have to distribute the dropped items between the players and decide whether it is worth it to split up and clear the area fast or if you need the combined firepower to defeat strong enemies.

DSix

Banned
That seems like a good price for King of Fighters XIII. If you like fighting games that is.

I already own KoFXIII, but I've since defected from arcade fighters to Smash Bros, as I seem to be getting too old for frame perfect links and intensive execution barriers.

What is the general opinion on Recettar?

Sch1sm

Korra isn't an anime. lol

We covered that earlier. It's more a cartoon, sure but while it's "American" a lot of it is done by a Korean studio. And you have to admit the art style leans toward Japanese. It's not too bad a game, either way, apparently.

I already own KoFXIII, but I've since defected from arcade fighters to Smash Bros, as I seem to be getting too old for frame perfect links and intensive execution barriers.

General opinion? Buy it. Only so many managerial shop games out there.

Depends on what you mean by specific build. Strength is literally useless to you if you don't use a weapon that scales with Strength, beyond the minimum amount of STR needed to weild your weapon in the first place. I wouldn't go recommending people investing heavily in STR unless they are building in a way that would make use of it. Anyone using primarily daggers, curved swords, or katanas are not going to need much in the way of STR. And of course high STR is wasted when elemental weapons come into play.
I'm just saying not to ignore it.

Since it's his first play-through he's going to need at least some STR to try out weapons until he finds something that works for him.

zulux21

so, I have noticed I keep seeing that games are getting greenlit, but I can't find a list of any games that have been greenlit since early august. is there a place to check which games have been greenlit since then?

Messiah

Recettear is fantastic. Managing your own shop is a unique concept and the dungeoncrawling is also enjoyable.

Sch1sm

so, I have noticed I keep seeing that games are getting greenlit, but I can't find a list of any games that have been greenlit since early august. is there a place to check which games have been greenlit since then?

Games are getting greenlit so quickly no one's keeping an up to date list out there. And no updated top 100 lists to reflect all of 2014 yet, either.

Vecks

Which ones are must have? Note that I already own and love the Falcom games.

The only one I can easily recommend is recettear. The others, like the visual novels, shmups, fighting games, and arena-beat'em ups, depend highly on your tastes.

Deitus

I'm just saying not to ignore it.

Since it's his first play-through he's going to need at least some STR to try out weapons until he finds something that works for him.

Oh yeah, definitely.

I really liked how in DS2 you could see the full moveset for a weapon without meeting the stat requirement. That way you could actually try out a new weapon you picked up without having the waste a bunch of stat points only to realize you didn't really like the moveset anyway.

inm8num2

I am REALLY enjoying J.U.L.I.A: Among the Stars.

FANTASTIC stuff.

Yes! It really is a great game. I supported the IndieGoGo campaign after hearing they got stiffed by their old publisher. All things considered, for such a small budget and small team it's an impressive work.

The art is gorgeous and the puzzles are genuinely interesting and well-integrated within the story. Difficulty may be slightly on the easier side, and there were some tiny bugs, but overall I was thoroughly pleased. J.U.L.I.A. is a beautiful game, and I hope more people discover, play, and enjoy it. Store page.

DSix

Banned
Nabbed Recettar.

I also took the risk on Agarest, but I know Idea Factory's reputation and I will keep my expectations in check. Who knows... maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So Greenlight is basically dead. Something like 500-600 games have been Greenlit since the beginning of December, many after being listed for only a day or two. At this point it seems more like a basic sanity check against random people submitted pirated copies of Battlefield 3 or Minecraft than an actual process for voting in particularly well qualified games.

If I were a dev of a game that's been lingering in GL hell for a few years, I'd delete it and relist it from scratch. The hurdle is tiny. Stuff is being greenlit with 1000-2000 yes votes now (the first Greenlight batch was at about 100,000 yes votes; most of the batches last year were 10,000-15,000).

Pandemic

Has anyone purchased Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum off the store and have problems with it?

I'm able to play the game for 1-5 minutes before it crashes...?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Apologies for the repost, sort of desperate to play this game!

Speevy

Banned
Aside from The Elder Scrolls series, what would you guys say is the most accessible, quality RPG on Steam?

Any type of RPG - Traditional Computer RPG, Strategy RPG, Turn-based Japanese RPG, Action RPG, whatever.

Aside from The Elder Scrolls series, what would you guys say is the most accessible, quality RPG on Steam?

Any type of RPG - Traditional Computer RPG, Strategy RPG, Turn-based Japanese RPG, Action RPG, whatever.

I am currently six hours into a play through of Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut. I have found it to be very accessible. You don't have to play it for hours on end to feel as though you've moved the story along. You can save anytime. I really like the setting and atmosphere and the story/writing has been well done.

zulux21

So Greenlight is basically dead. Something like 500-600 games have been Greenlit since the beginning of December, many after being listed for only a day or two. At this point it seems more like a basic sanity check against random people submitted pirated copies of Battlefield 3 or Minecraft than an actual process for voting in particularly well qualified games.

If I were a dev of a game that's been lingering in GL hell for a few years, I'd delete it and relist it from scratch. The hurdle is tiny. Stuff is being greenlit with 1000-2000 yes votes now (the first Greenlight batch was at about 100,000 yes votes; most of the batches last year were 10,000-15,000).

aren't there rumors that greenlight is going to be fully retired in march?

I was mostly curious what all had gotten through as I buy a bunch of greenlight bundles. I am curious what type of system we will go onto next though... I mean heck if nothing else I doubt without greenlight that we would be having an anime sale on steam right now, as steam only really started letting stuff like visual novels on after people showed there was actually demand for them on greenlight. so it's not like greenlight has been all bad, somewhat bad.

-MD-

I imagine a small portion of steam users even bother to vote at all so yeah it seems pretty pointless.

aren't there rumors that greenlight is going to be fully retired in march?

I was mostly curious what all had gotten through as I buy a bunch of greenlight bundles. I am curious what type of system we will go onto next though... I mean heck if nothing else I doubt without greenlight that we would be having an anime sale on steam right now, as steam only really started letting stuff like visual novels on after people showed there was actually demand for them on greenlight. so it's not like greenlight has been all bad, somewhat bad.

The rumored system are two storefronts. The one we have now and some storefront for all titles, that will have all the Steamfeatures like achievements and such. If a game on the second storefront is popular enough it could move to the normal one.

What I do not understand is, why Valve doesnt just employ more people to curate the games. I mean for GL there were 2 people working on it IIRC. We are talking about a multimillion dollar company now. I would not have any problem with Valve employees curating, if they do not refuse games because of shitty reasons like before (Point and click wont sell. VNs arent real games etc.)
Just release the games if they have a minimum quality and arent like Slaughtering Grounds...

zulux21

The rumored system are two storefronts. The one we have now and some storefront for all titles, that will have all the Steamfeatures like achievements and such. If a game on the second storefront is popular enough it could move to the normal one.

What I do not understand is, why Valve doesnt just employ more people to curate the games. I mean for GL there were 2 people working on it IIRC. We are talking about a multimillion dollar company now. I would not have any problem with Valve employees curating, if they do not refuse games because of shitty reasons like before (Point and click wont sell. VNs arent real games etc.)
Just release the games if they have a minimum quality and arent like Slaughtering Grounds...

ah, something like that could work, but yeah I agree they could easily afford more people. it's not like just steam sales are their only source of income. They also have plenty of team fortress money or dota 2 money, or heck even trading card money as they likely make a nice chunk of money off that tiny fee each time a card is sold when stuff like the winter sale goes on and the trades per item jump into the thousands.

autoduelist

Two quick reviews:

Steam Marines -- I bought this ages ago expecting a turn based tactical shooter. It's more a squad based roguelike. You have 4 soldiers and explore a multi-level spaceship. Ammo and supplies are scarce. Tactics come into heavy play with positioning -- the game rewards 'at range' gunfire with 100% hit chance, as enemies get closer your accuracy actually decreases. Death comes quickly, so you really need to be careful how you push forward and explore. Game does some things really well, though also leaves something to be desired; it just needs some polish and such. Certain aspects feel really odd, like the randomized dungeon creates rooms you can't get to without busting down walls, which makes no sense on a spaceship.

Hexcells series --
Minesweeper++. It's very similar to minesweeper, except more positional info may or may not be given (ie, number of 'mines' in a column or diagonal, or number of mines 'within 2 spaces', etc). Unlike Minesweeper, which requires a random start, Hexcells puzzles are designed by hand and are always solvable.
I found the first game (Hexcells) far too easy, although the 5th world of Hexcells Plus is starting to show some challenge (requiring multiple vectors of deduction to solve a puzzle). I hear Infinite is even harder, which is good.
Great games overall.

Borderlands is kinda RPG-ish, I guess more like Action RPG with FPS view, but it's pretty cool, especially Borderlands 2. Buying the games with the DLC packs is A LOT of stuff to do.

There's Fallout too, both New Vegas and 3. The Witcher 1 and 2, though the first one was kinda weird imo and didn't like it much, but the 2nd one is great and you don't really need to play them in order, just kinda read on the story a bit before playing 2. 3 comes out this year and is a very hyped game.

Bunch of other stuff but I guess it depends on your definition of accessible. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition(1 and 2), Dark Souls 1 and 2, Divinity: Original Sin, South Park, Y's(all of them) are all very good games but I don't know if I'd call them accessible.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Fallout 3 and new Vegas.

DSix

Banned

Oh my fucking god, I better hope this is not what will happen. Sending all the new games from not-big-publishers in a shit getho-store to die.
If there is anything we can learn from the XBLIG fiasco, is NOT to redo this again.

Yeah, with that recent kerfuffle, the odd stat brought up was that it only took 13,000 Yes votes for that game to rise to #7. Back in early 2013, going by the charts devs posted in the Greenlight thread, 13,000 Yes votes would have barely put a game onto the Top 100, and with only a few games Greenlit per month, there was a chance to be stuck in Purgatory if its voting pace slowed. Now with such a low bar to get into the Top 10, it would be easy for anyone to use simple brigade tactics to get into the top spots (Though even that's unnecessary unless the dev wants bragging rights, since large batches are still being quietly Greenlit).

Really shows how hard participation in Greenlight fell over the past year.

Miguel81

I found Planescape Torment to be very accessible(CRPG-lite). Baldur's Gate has been harder to get into due to a more heavier emphasis on combat.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I actually would have loved there a "Easy Mode" to be :/
Challenge is nice but sometimes I just wanna bash away without being to careful.

If you want to cheese the gargoyles, just
reverse hollowing and summon. Try using one of those resins to electrify your sword, and go two-handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom