• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Still fighting with me if I want to buy Life is Strange, but looking at the Tell Tale games, it's better to wait until it's finished. It will probably also be cheaper in between, right.

MRORANGE

:|

Yup same :/

AcyNnoH.png

MRORANGE

Just under 4 hours..

jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF GOTY Award, every year gaffers choose choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam,
game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out last year's nail-biting results.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released from 2014
- Episodic games that overlap 2013/2014 can be counted as long as they have not been used in the 2013 Steam GOTY
- Re-release in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Vote thrown if the bin if you fail to follow rules
t1420848000z0.png

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
[B]Game 5 (1 point) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 4 (2 points) [/B]: INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 3 (3 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 2 (4 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 1  (5 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE

[B]Why I want this game as GOTY  (Optional) :[/B] WRITE COMMENTS HERE

Gaffers who have voted so far:

Grief.exe

These monitors coming out of CES are very interesting. Plenty of 1440p and 4K options with TN and IPS screens supporting G-sync as well as freesync.

Disappointed that we haven't seen any OLED consumer monitors yet as that seems like the display panel that solves all of the problems, but I will probably find myself upgrading my monitor this year. Maybe even to an IPS panel, really want amazing colors, but I'm not so sure about the 4-5ms response times.

fallout

These monitors coming out of CES are very interesting. Plenty of 1440p and 4K options with TN and IPS screens supporting G-sync as well as freesync.

Disappointed that we haven't seen any OLED consumer monitors yet as that seems like the display panel that solves all of the problems, but I will probably find myself upgrading my monitor this year. Maybe even to an IPS panel, really want amazing colors, but I'm not so sure about the 4-5ms response times.
Indeed. I've been waiting awhile to upgrade and this should lead to some reasonably priced options.

Sch1sm

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Runes of Brennos -- MB-3255017A1A9B379B - Taken by Armoured Priest
Hunters of the Dead -- MB-9E7FD5923154BBDB - Taken by drakaenae
Lunar Pack -- MB-F0AA84BC7CD0AA41 - Taken by D3RANG3D
9th Company: Roots of Terror -- MB-63B48CA8C86181BB - Taken by autoduelist
Theatre of the Absurd -- MB-3F4DEDDD0D0EFE67 - Taken by rrvv

Sch1sm

Sorry for the double. Forgot, whoops. First come first serve to anyone, no rules.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

X Blades -- MB-42EDBFDD11A93FAE - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN

Adventis

Still fighting with me if I want to buy Life is Strange, but looking at the Tell Tale games, it's better to wait until it's finished. It will probably also be cheaper in between, right.

Hard to argue with ~$13 pre-release for the entire season which is already something close to 50% off, even better if you've got any credit to spare. Succumbed to temptation and nabbed it for ~$12 with the poor amount of cred I had hehe.

Btw, another question about the ongoing anime sale, is Cho Degenki Stryker worth it at 50% off? isthereanydeal.com tells me that's the lowest it's ever been...

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I decided to look through my old bundles for added keys from Greenlight. Here are some of those keys and others I found along the way.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 31 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Fake Colours -- MB-888899EB97569369 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Darkstone -- MB-925B01AD37E017A2 - Taken by Chreznor
Space Hack -- MB-3F87B4618A532FA0 - Taken by A Fish Aficionado. 2 entrants total.
Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan -- MB-12F1832DA67CB5E0 - Taken by Purkake4
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" -- MB-0540741BEBFD5BE8 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Dwarf Tower -- MB-6531C4359D98E03D - Taken by lindarasta
Biglands -- MB-2ED60D9696C0967A
Wickland -- MB-1CD77FD965921FA2 - Taken by Videospel
The Ingenious Machine -- MB-7543D40A489CA6DD - Taken by SSPssp
Triblaster -- MB-586E96B456C3162A - Taken by nja
Siege of Inaolia -- MB-BD59CBE8D1032B20 - Taken by nja
Voyage: Journey to the Moon -- MB-58971CBA3737909C - Taken by Loptous
Crash Time 2 -- MB-02980F953951D029 - Taken by Conrad Link. 2 entrants total.
Project Temporality -- MB-4C6538C591F5A39A - Taken by trailmix16
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-B0BECFD3B164D4E7 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo
Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive -- MB-3C50FC4945932907 - Taken by Scipius
KEL Reaper of Entropy -- MB-15DD14E0DF7A2BEC - Taken by Woody Invincible
Boson X -- MB-AC5B44843B4FEB56 - Taken by redlacs
Gorky 17 -- MB-CBF3EAD81B576C94 - Taken by Natty1
Borealis -- MB-27FAC84F48058E3F - Taken by fuzzy123
Crunch Time! -- MB-F625B2CB1E9FF6DB - Taken by gaiadyne
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-E1C6E28266160C52
Tesla Breaks the World! -- MB-7B7F2F24D19A5008 - Taken by nightstorm
Boo Bunny Plague: Deluxe Edition -- MB-3DDEE5F73E254F85 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Knightshift -- MB-C0FDEAB58FA87485 - Taken by fenners
Pixel Hunter -- MB-8212F82680E53031 - Taken by Mavromatis
Koya Rift -- MB-F16A31739D49D9B2 - Taken by nja
Avadon 2: The Corruption -- MB-8700536D74632E19 - Taken by darkchewie
Dungeons: The Eye of Draconus -- MB-8FD0C8D06B22B1DE - Taken by Poetic.Injustice

titch

Just a wee one

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Meltdown -- MB-16436C983DA68A52 - Taken by Smash88. 2 entrants total.

t1420846412z1.png

I find it a bit odd that GMG is running a contest where the winners will receive a digital copy of Dying Light, Evolve, and GTA V but they still don't offer Dying Light to actually buy from them.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Took some time to decide on Steam's 2014 games.

Game 5 (1 point) : Mount Your Friends
Game 4 (2 points) : One Finger Death Punch
Game 3 (3 points) : Sportsfriends
Game 2 (4 points) : Luftrausers
Game 1 (5 points) : Hexcells Infinite

Looking back on the list, seems to have been mostly stuff to keep me relaxed.

Hope that Hexcells isn't represented too poorly considering it's whole series saw it's release on steam this year thus causing a split. It deserves the rep.

valve really going after the key market. Considering how meh the last sale was and how they're doubling down on region locking & gifting, man, the glory days are mostly over.

at least there's nuuvem...for the moment.

madjoki

But they receive trade offers, and those will have the CAPTCHA as well. I received 3 trade offers a few minutes ago and I had to fill out the CAPTCHA to accept them.

I thought it was only sending. Anyway there's API to accept or decline trades, and those work without captcha too.

Dr Dogg

OLED has years to go before and kinks to be worked out before it's going to dethrone anything in a work setting for me. While it has a much better sub pixel structure than current panel technology (almost harking back to CRT's in some regards) and offer's a larger contrast range, viewing angles are poor, colour shift is unacceptable and lifetime of the panels themselves still isn't inline with price which is also still huge. That's not even going into manufacture and maturity which will take time. Oh and response times of 4-5ms are more than fine and not something to worry about but measurable signal/input latency, which is far more important, is something no monitor manufacture states but sites like TFT Central, Prad, Blur Busters etc test and keep records

While G-Sync and Freesync is great tech it's not been put into a monitor with a panel I'd even consider using.

The monitor sector has been quite stagnant for a few years apart from the 21:9 panels coming out left right and centre. Speaking of this bad boy is looking like the media consumption monitor to get.
Samsung S34E790C said:
34" 3440x1440 VA Panel with a slight curve which would come in at around 109ppi so about the same as a 27" 2560x1440 but with much more real estate. But a £799.99 price tag is in between both the LG 3440x1440 models in price but has 3 times the contrast both of them due to being a VA panel so that's 3 great choices there for budget. Sadly it's another shocking stand from Samsung but at least this one has is 100mm VESA compatible unlike their 4k monitor.

Speaking of 4k monitors until Windows get's a universal system in place to handle variable DPI settings for the OS and legacy applications (which OS X and certain Linux distros have) then for me it's still too much of a pain to use day to day.

Lomax

Took some time to decide on Steam's 2014 games.

Game 5 (1 point) : Mount Your Friends
Game 4 (2 points) : One Finger Death Punch
Game 3 (3 points) : Sportsfriends
Game 2 (4 points) : Luftrausers
Game 1 (5 points) : Hexcells Infinite

Looking back on the list, seems to have been mostly stuff to keep me relaxed.

Hope that Hexcells isn't represented too poorly considering it's whole series saw it's release on steam this year thus causing a split. It deserves the rep.

If I hadn't started Hexcells after I'd already voted it would probably go into my #2 slot. But you're right about splitting, my vote right now would be for Hexcells Plus (haven't gotten Infinite yet). Honestly I've seen so much variety between the different posts here it seems pretty clear the top ten will be dominated by the mainstream titles simply because of dilution, which is kind of a shame. But maybe not, there were certainly surprises last year.

ATTN: Those who are using my NeoGAF Monkeybot script

banner.png

If you have wondered why your owned games stopped showing up in the past few days I just fixed that with the most recent version of 0.1.3.. Your script should automatically update if you installed it via GitHub. If you didn't, you can download it again from here: https://github.com/petetnt/neogaf-monkeybot

As always, problems and suggestions are welcome via PM's or via GitHub.

Grief.exe

Rate my list

Game 5 (1 point) : Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Game 4 (2 points) : Banished
Game 3 (3 points) : Transistor
Game 2 (4 points) : Dark Souls 2
Game 1 (5 points) : Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Oh and response times of 4-5ms are more than fine and not something to worry about but measurable signal/input latency, which is far more important, is something no monitor manufacture states but sites like TFT Central, Prad, Blur Busters etc test and keep records

I guess I will just throw down on a nice 1440p monitor if OLED is still that far out. It's a bit early to go 4K anyways.

Thanks for those websites, I will bookmark them to check out some data on monitors.

Nabs

I think JaseC was looking for this:

If I hadn't started Hexcells after I'd already voted it would probably go into my #2 slot. But you're right about splitting, my vote right now would be for Hexcells Plus (haven't gotten Infinite yet). Honestly I've seen so much variety between the different posts here it seems pretty clear the top ten will be dominated by the mainstream titles simply because of dilution, which is kind of a shame. But maybe not, there were certainly surprises last year.

There won't be any surprises this year :(

It would be nice if the Hexcells Bundle would count as one game, but I'm not sure it got many votes either way.

Can we photoshop Gabens head on here :

Rate my list

3 games common : MGR, Banished, DS2
1 i haven't finished : Transistor
1 I haven't picked up : BoI

Pretty solid. I have DS2 > MGR > Banished, but the more I play Banished, the more I enjoy the hell out of it.

fantomena

Rate my list

I guess I will just throw down on a nice 1440p monitor if OLED is still that far out. It's a bit early to go 4K anyways.

Thanks for those websites, I will bookmark them to check out some data on monitors.

Good list, but Dark Souls 2 doesn't derve to be on there. It was a good game, but not great.

MGR was also a good game, but not GOTY candidate in my eyes.

Transistor though is a good choice.

Still have yet to play more than the tutorial in Banished. So can't say anything about it.

We have at least 1 game in common.

Tizoc

Rate my list

I give it
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
out of
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

Nice list, glad you enjoyed those games, gotta remember to start Banished some day =X

fantomena

My list if anyone is curious:

Game 5 (1 point) :The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Game 4 (2 points) : Transistor
Game 3 (3 points) : Shovel Knight
Game 2 (4 points) : Wolfenstein: The New Order
Game 1 (5 points) : Divinity: Original Sin

Grief.exe

Game 3 (3 points) : Shovel Knight
Game 2 (4 points) : Wolfenstein: The New Order
Game 1 (5 points) : Divinity: Original Sin

I'm literally playing through Shovel Knight, Wolfenstein, and Divinity right now! They would probably make my list more difficult to create if I had played those three.

Dr Dogg

If Dark Souls II doesn't finish in the top 2 (there's bound to be some indie darling charting high like last year) then I will eat my hypothetical hat. I'm probably the only person who gave Watch Dogs some love but I really did have a lot of fun with it. I was debating writing a brief bit about the other 35 games that didn't make the cut for me just before the results crop up.

I really hope the wave of OLED TV's kicks the monitor market into gear but it's been a lot of talk for years and not a lot to show for it.

ASUS have got a 120hz IPS 'like' (more than likely a PLS panel like a lot of the Korean monitors use) coming out soon, ASUS MG279Q. It's apparently going to support freesync (or adaptive sync or what ever it's being called these days) but despite it being open to everyone Nvidia haven't stated they will be using the tech, more that they are focusing on G-Sync. You can get a QNIX QX2710 for peanuts and they overclock to 120hz pretty easily but some folks are a like concerned about dead/stuck pixels and damage from being shipped 3/4 round the world.

IPS will have accurate colours, superior viewing angles and panel uniformity over other panel types but the low static contrast ratio makes VA panels, which can go upto 5000:1, are much better suited to media consumption where blacks are a lot richer and not saturated due to lower contrast levels and a whopping big back light that IPS and TN suffer from. Off centre contrast shift is still a problem but no where near as bad as it was and viewing angles are on par with IPS these days. But then again not all panels are created equally. So while most TN panels are washed out horrors some do stand out from the crowd, likewise some IPS panels can have lower latency and some VA panels can have better than IPS colour accuracy and viewing angles. It took me a pain staking amount of research for what the 4 monitors I ended up with and I'm still not happy.

Though generally speaking, boiling it all down with the 3 main panel types and gaming you got TN for low input latency and high refresh rates, IPS for accurate colours and all round computer use and finally VA for the more richer image and media consumption. When someone makes a panel that takes advantage of all of that (and the Eizo Foris FG2421 comes pretty close but stuck at 24" and 1920x1080) combined with the benefits of G-Sync/Freesync that will be my monitor holy grail. That or Sony starts making FW900's again but digital.

fantomena

I'm literally playing through Shovel Knight, Wolfenstein, and Divinity right now! They would probably make my list more difficult to create if I had played those three.

Every FPS except The New Order is boring to me. It's a torture to me to play games like Titanfall, CoD and Destiny, but The New Order was fantastic.

Every FPS except The New Order is boring to me. It's a torture to me to play games like Titanfall, CoD and Destiny, but The New Order was fantastic.

You should try the Riddick games if you liked TNO, and if you just enjoy FPS games with a twist to them then you'd get a kick out of Dishonored.

derExperte

I'm probably the only person who gave Watch Dogs some love but I really did have a lot of fun with it.

Game 5 (1 point) : Watch_Dogs
Game 4 (2 points) : Alien Isolation
Game 3 (3 points) : Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Game 2 (4 points) : LUFTRAUSERS
Game 1 (5 points) : Goat Simulator

I replaced my not-Steam-specific GOTY nr 5 with W_D just because I thought no one else will vote for it in here.

My list was:

Game 4 (2 points) : Wolfenstein: The New Order
Game 3 (3 points) : The Wolf Among Us
Game 2 (4 points) : Transistor
Game 1 (5 points) : Resident Evil 4

Honorable mentions to Jazzpunk, which narrowly lost out to Metal Gear Rising, and Valiant Hearts, which I'm halfway through and it's really good but I couldn't fully judge it until I had beaten it, which clearly wasn't gonna happen before the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom