• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Nevermind about that astebreed final boss on normal
tumblr_lk6vauSAms1qcgfwl.gif
It's just too punishing for me, have been on it for like an hour. Just going to run through easy and try it there. Just a little sad about the difficulty spike here.

Jawmuncher

I was about a half-second away from beating that boss when I died. That's worse than getting demolished imo.

That's where I was at on the 5th level boss until I beat him.
I just realized you can use Sword and lasers at the same time.
If I could disable the dash move I would be in the clear when it comes to wrecking him.

Phinor

Did you go from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem? It's possible those were the speeds you were supposed to be getting but your modem didn't support it.

In Finland some service providers have a history of using/offering customers modems that actually lack processing power to handle higher speeds especially if you plan to use any features like firewalls, point forwarding, UPNP etc.

Sure, they often throw those modems to new customers for free but it probably causes them plenty of customer service issues as well when people wonder why their Internet connection is so much slower than it should be.

I remember years ago when I had a 24/1Mbps ADSL connection and the modem I was given managed just about 10Mbps. Switched to a cheap alternative and no issues at all maxing out the connection. I learned my lesson, some modems are simply built too cheap to match whatever they advertise on the box.

ルナティックドーン 前途への道標 Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book

and a pack of 1, 2 and 3:

This game is only available in Japanese.
Dayum, I didn't know Degica would be getting these up so quickly after the New Year's sale on Artdink's e-shop started. Awesome that some people might stumble upon these games and realize what's been missing from our shores for, I dunno, two decades?

Members at Hardcore Gaming 101 are starting an exploratory playthrough of the Lunatic Dawn games, from I on the PC-98 onward. These are really interesting Western-influenced sim-style RPGs with a mix of dungeon crawling, character building across generations, and randomized world-building. Pluses include a complex battle system, plenty of side-quests/missions in-between goals, and some variance between installments (Windows-era games either give you turn-based combat/waypoint world-map or DIablo-style combat/Ultima Online-like overworld).

I kind of hope Sega does the same with their chinese/japanese games (although lol doubt they'd release raw japanese version of their games on steam), just so there's a chance their fanbase could translate those games for them.
Makes me wonder if the in-game text files are readily accessible, which they should be (compressed form would be a pain, but Windows hacking's more well documented than is the case for old Japanese PCs).

We're not done:

Maritime Simulation/Adventure games in the 15th and 16th century race for the New World. Third in the Artdink Legend Pack series. This game is only available in Japanese.

High school baseball simulation. Become a coach and aim for Koshien! Fourth in the Artdink Legend Pack series. This game is only available in Japanese.

Insane! The baseball simulators are well-remembered, but The Atlas is way more interesting because of its premise and the Neo Atlas games. Your goal in these games is to successfully graph a map of the world unknown to Europeans near the 16th century; you can, in the process of sending out expeditions and managing trade/fleet, change the course of history by reporting discoveries in different ways. Playthroughs are said to be accommodating for new players, too, which is different from other Artdink beasts like A-Train or Carnage Heart.

It's nice of Degica to put Artdink's titles on Steam.
Pity they did not translate them.
Because they'd first need to hack them, and then insert a script which may or may not be adequate to introduce people to some relatively complex games. This all takes money for wages, too, so I guess Artdink/Degica are waiting for others to champion the games and prepare a niche audience.

Artdink is a great little dev. They're mostly known in the west for A-Train, but they made the excellent Aquanaut's Holiday; Tail of the Sun; and No One Can Stop Mr. Domino....

... none of which have PC versions.
Not sure if they even keep the source code, honestly. Porting old PS games to PC would be...interesting, and perhaps fruitful because these games truly are the face of Artdink in our corner of the Web. Some people just want Kazutoshi Iida to make new games anyway, so they'd buy AH/TotS on principle.

Before those they made some excellent PC-98 games.
The stuff going up on Steam now seem to be ports to Windows of these.
Wonder if we will get Tokio, Rome, Kikoushidan, Tenka Gomen or Kessen Sekigahara games as well...
Artdink hasn't done Legend Packs for Tokio, Sekigahara, How Many Robot/HR2, nor something for their early one-offs (Arctic) and wargames. I don't believe Degica has anything to give us yet, unless they'll give hacking the original game images a shot.

maty

Just sent a PM to MRORANGE with the following list

Game 5 (1 point) : The Room
Game 4 (2 points) : Hexcells Plus
Game 3 (3 points) : Shovel Knight
Game 2 (4 points) : Escape Goat 2
Game 1 (5 points) : The Binding of Isaac: Rebith

I haven't played too many games from 2014 since I usually buy them a year after they have been released. With the exception of BoI the rest were gifts, so I'd like to thank corrosivefrost, dirtywhirlwind, lashman who gifted me some of the great games listed above.

MRORANGE

Last Chance

jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF GOTY Award, every year gaffers choose choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam,
game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out last year's nail-biting results.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released from 2014
- Episodic games that overlap 2013/2014 can be counted as long as they have not been used in the 2013 Steam GOTY
- Re-release in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Vote thrown if the bin if you fail to follow rules
t1420848000z0.png

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
[B]Game 5 (1 point) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 4 (2 points) [/B]: INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 3 (3 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 2 (4 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE
[B]Game 1  (5 points) :[/B] INSERT GAME NAME HERE

[B]Why I want this game as GOTY  (Optional) :[/B] WRITE COMMENTS HERE

Gaffers who have voted so far:

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Agarest Generations of War -- MB-7D2F9F1108DCB200 - Taken by Diedac. 26 entrants total.

t1420888494z1.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Games! Take them before I forget about them

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Archaix, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Megabyte Punch -- MB-A9158C89DFB0CBDE - Taken by mrks. 9 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-831454502D9B734D - Taken by adg1034. 4 entrants total.
Knights of Pen and Paper Plus 1 Edition -- MB-B91894C41D1278A2 - Taken by Madn. 3 entrants total.

t1420855588z1.png

Kifimbo

Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

The Cat Lady -- MB-4B8ECC7079F5CC45 - Taken by Blu(e)

Jawmuncher

Went back and beat astebreed on easy.
Don't even mind since i did everything aside from the last boss on normal. Fun game but Man I suck at bullet hell. Aside from trouble witches neo. Also the ending to astebreed so worth it.

HoosTrax

To Infinite, and beyond.

Yup, that's exactly how it feels to me. I'm excited for Infinite. Well, I mean, as excited as i can be to be staring down another set of math/logic puzzles.
The nice thing about the Hexcells games is that even the sequels start you off with introductory concepts (the difficulty ramp-up is just much steeper for the latter games). Which is nice if you've played previous editions but have long since forgotten the rules.

An awesome GAF'er saw Infinite on my wishlist and that I had liked the previous games, and gifted it to me during the Winter sale. Things really start to get tricky around set 4. Gave myself a bit of headache puzzling over that set last night.

Also, for those people who think some of the puzzles require guesswork -- it's just not true, I haven't seen a single puzzle in the series that couldn't be solved by pure logic.

DukeBobby

I need to start playing Steam games again, but I'm currently balls deep into Danganronpa and I can't stop.

Lords of the Fallen was a bit rubbish, so I stopped playing that. The next game I play will probably be Resident Evil.

Pandemic

Does anyone own Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum via STEAM and are having crashing issues with it after approx. 5 minutes of playing?

fantomena

Is it safe to delete the folders in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NetService?

There's a bunch of foldiers which contains the driver install files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom