• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game 5 (1 point) : Watch_Dogs
Game 4 (2 points) : Alien Isolation
Game 3 (3 points) : Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Game 2 (4 points) : LUFTRAUSERS
Game 1 (5 points) : Goat Simulator

I replaced my not-Steam-specific GOTY nr 5 with W_D just because I thought no one else will vote for it in here.

holy shit.

I totally forgot Goat Simulator came out last year. Dammit!

Nzyme32

I'm literally playing through Shovel Knight, Wolfenstein, and Divinity right now! They would probably make my list more difficult to create if I had played those three.

SHIT - somehow when I sent my GOTY message to Mr Orange, I missed out Shovel Knight, which is definitely one of my favourites. Sent him an edited message but no idea if he accepts corrections. Can't believe I forgot that for a moment considering what a joy it was to play

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh, only 2 hours left, need to fix my vote. Sorry, NekoPara, Shovel Knight is just that good.

For a second I thought you said Neko was better than Shovel Knight but thats me just getting up reading things poorly. Phew.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I may be a weaboo who clusters everyone's activity feed with If My Heart Had Wings, but not even I am that deranged.

I dont know what is If My Heart Had Wings so I need to check on it before making the next statement. Also perhaps a cup of coffee might help me get my thoughts properly.

Knurek

header.jpg

Oh god, I've just finished the *Hyun-Ae route in Hate Plus...

Geez, it was even better than the original game. Like, it would surely go on my 2013 GOTY were I to play it then.

If you don't have it yet, get it. All time low at the moment to boot ($2.49/€2.49).
Just trust me on this. Wonderfully written, great plot, would stand proudly among many great sci-fi novels.

Lomax

holy shit.

I totally forgot Goat Simulator came out last year. Dammit!

SHIT - somehow when I sent my GOTY message to Mr Orange, I missed out Shovel Knight, which is definitely one of my favourites. Sent him an edited message but no idea if he accepts corrections. Can't believe I forgot that for a moment considering what a joy it was to play

That's the biggest reason I actually like when people post their lists, there's no way I can remember exactly what I've played this year and which came out this year (not to mention that very few of the games I played this year actually qualify), so seeing other people's lists reminded me of what was eligible and I wanted to give consideration to.

Edit - My List
Game 5 (1 point) : BattleBlock Theater
Game 4 (2 points) : Transistor
Game 3 (3 points) : Card City Nights
Game 2 (4 points) : Endless Legend
Game 1 (5 points) : The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

sprinkles

Phew I nearly missed Steam GOTY voting - just did a quick check of what I played this year and probably missed a better game or two, but whatever.

Game 5 (1 point) : Shadow of Mordor
Game 4 (2 points) : Lords of the Fallen
Game 3 (3 points) : Wolfenstein TNO
Game 2 (4 points) : Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky
Game 1 (5 points) : Dark Souls 2

Dr Dogg

Really puts things into perspective when some folks have upload speeds 3 times as fast as my download speed :(

Game 5 (1 point) : Watch_Dogs
Game 4 (2 points) : Alien Isolation
Game 3 (3 points) : Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Game 2 (4 points) : LUFTRAUSERS
Game 1 (5 points) : Goat Simulator

I replaced my not-Steam-specific GOTY nr 5 with W_D just because I thought no one else will vote for it in here.

Hahaha Watch Dogs to appear in the top 10 now then!

My top 3 were initially Resident Evil 4, Valkyria Chronicles and in third Metal Gear Rising but then I was omitting stuff that actually got initially released this year. I'll chalk them up as honourable mentions but seeing as RE4 and VC are two of my favourite games full stop I'd probably end up including them out of principle.

Grief.exe

Now you'll hit their bandwidth cap twice as fast.

Gotta love a speed boost thats basically double what you had.

I bought a refurbished modem, so I am kind of wondering whether it is still attached to another account. I expected a performance boost, but double?

BTW, no matter your service provider you should invest in your own modem. Not only do they have better speeds, but the modem rental fees are ~$120 per year.

Nabs

Maybe it's a good thing zkylon hasn't been around lately.

I bought a refurbished modem, so I am kind of wondering whether it is still attached to another account. I expected a performance boost, but double?

BTW, no matter your service provider you should invest in your own modem. Not only do they have better speeds, but the modem rental fees are ~$120 per year.

Nope, that's normal. My speeds doubled a year ago, and now I hit 120-124 down (~14mb/s on Steam).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just changed my modem from the one Comcast included to a Motorola SB 6141

ibqyfBIz9fwndC.png

Are you sure you're not in those "reboot your comcast modem because they doubled everybody speeds but it only works if you reboot your modem" regions?

Most of san francisco had that happen to them recently.

pahamrick

I don't know how Comcast handles modem switching, but on Mediacom I had to register the modem by going to a website and then it verified the plan I was using.

Did you go from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem? It's possible those were the speeds you were supposed to be getting but your modem didn't support it.

Let's get ready for Arkham Knight!
tumblr_m415zsefv61r2kdbno1_500.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mass_Pincup, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Batman Arkham Origins -- MB-B805561E92F8BE16 - Taken by Barbarian. 23 entrants total.
Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate -- MB-58D8DDD84D44887C - Taken by hohoXD123. 17 entrants total.
Batman Arkham City -- MB-14FEC9799E39551B - Taken by RyanPierre. 6 entrants total.

t1420852708z1.png

Really puts things into perspective when some folks have upload speeds 3 times as fast as my download speed :(

Hahaha Watch Dogs to appear in the top 10 now then!

My top 3 were initially Resident Evil 4, Valkyria Chronicles and in third Metal Gear Rising but then I was omitting stuff that actually got initially released this year. I'll chalk them up as honourable mentions but seeing as RE4 and VC are two of my favourite games full stop I'd probably end up including them out of principle.

Damn, I forgot RE4.
Oh well, I'd rather focus on games that were actually released for the first time in 2014.
Already too many to choose from.

Lomax

Killer is Dead got added to the anime sale. I keep hoping the second Half Minute Hero game will get added, but no luck so far.

Really tempted to pick this up as I didn't spend much over the winter sale and I feel like I would play it right now.

Your old speed was the cap of what those modems could handle most likely, I ran into the same thing when I upgraded my internet. The old standard was right around what you're showing there.

I don't know how Comcast handles modem switching, but on Mediacom I had to register the modem by going to a website and then it verified the plan I was using.

Did you go from a DOCSIS 2.0 to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem? It's possible those were the speeds you were supposed to be getting but your modem didn't support it.

Edit: This ^

Khronico

Just finished up Jakes campaign in re6. I like Jake, he's a pretty good character and has some neat melee mechanics that make him stand out from the rest
character action game starring Jake pls capcpom
. Again, as in every re6 campaign, the quality is wildly inconsistent (random dumb stealth sequences that aren't fun, more bland vehicle segments, dumb and boring on rails helicopter chase segment) in every chapter. After 16 hrs I'm so conflicted on whether I like this game or not.

Akuosa

The reason I don't only game on PC.

horriblehorrible.gif
Not sure if want. I'm cool with the difficulty, but this game is lying pretty hard in these kind of... desings?, the same as the others, I know, but that has always been what put me off a bit.

Grief.exe

Are you sure you're not in those "reboot your comcast modem because they doubled everybody speeds but it only works if you reboot your modem" regions?

Most of san francisco had that happen to them recently.

Not sure, but I don't live in California.

DOCSIS 3.0 to DOCSIS 3.0 actually.

header.jpg

Oh god, I've just finished the *Hyun-Ae route in Hate Plus...

Geez, it was even better than the original game. Like, it would surely go on my 2013 GOTY were I to play it then.

If you don't have it yet, get it. All time low at the moment to boot ($2.49/€2.49).
Just trust me on this. Wonderfully written, great plot, would stand proudly among many great sci-fi novels.

I put the two pack in my cart as soon as the sale went up, but I still haven't pulled the trigger. I spent way too much in the winter sale :|

autoduelist

Just finished Hexcells Plus. The second to last one hurt my head a bit, otherwise survived intact. Just missing something obvious, as always... only took me like 30 minutes to find it, lol.

To Infinite, and beyond.

I had the exact same opinion as you regarding Hexcells and Plus. Don't think of the games as individual entities, but think of them as parts of a whole. Hexcells is the introductory levels, Plus is where things get more difficult, and Infinite is where you really get tested.

Yup, that's exactly how it feels to me. I'm excited for Infinite. Well, I mean, as excited as i can be to be staring down another set of math/logic puzzles.

Yeah, it's a great game, but something's felt "off" about it recently. They apparently did a huge overhaul to the game recently (new engine, etc), and broke a lot of stuff, judging by the forum. I beat the game pre-patch with every character and got all the unlocks, but post-patch, I haven't beat it once yet. As best I can tell, the difficulty got screwed up, and not in a good way. Some of the special (colored) enemies are taking WAY longer to kill than they used to. They always had more HP, but now they see, to have 5x what they used to in the old version of the game. I don't know if this is intentional or not, as it seems that the devs are staying pretty quiet about the whole thing.

Hmmm. I never played Risk of Rain pre-patch... but this version definitely feels like 'no joke'. I didn't have much problem clearing the first stage, but stage 2, yikes.

ATTN: Those who are using my NeoGAF Monkeybot script
Your script should automatically update if you installed it via GitHub. If you didn't, you can download it again from here: https://github.com/petetnt/neogaf-monkeybot

Thanks for the update! I can't have mine autoupdate because I have my settings hardcoded, so the notification is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom