• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternia

Just binged through a bunch of games recently, quick impressions:

Cloudbuilt - Hectic, fast-paced but very challenging platformer done relatively well. The controls took a bit to get used to (a bit floaty). You have a lot of movement options like wall running vertically and horizontally, a jetpack that allows speed boosts or multiple jumps, and a generous automatic ledge grab at your disposal. On top of all of that, you have a gun used deal with some obstacles that will get in your way, sometimes even while you're moving. Lots of trial and error happening but the game has near instant respawns and nice checkpointing (it even has mobile checkpoints that you can deploy at your leisure). Great soundtrack too.

Fly'N - A visually delightful 2D platformer with many puzzle elements. You will meet 4 characters that each have their own unique abilities that must be used to progress through each level. What caught me offguard was how demanding the timing of some of the puzzles would be. The two characters that dragged it down for me was the physics-based bouncy creature that seemed a bit unreliable and the dashing fish one that moved in the direction of your cursor (often had trouble seeing where it was) which becomes an issue during faster segments. I played with keyboard+mouse, no idea if a controller would have been better.

Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory - Very simple platformer with not much interesting going on. Your character has a constant effect of swapping the state of a couple of blocks near it which may be helpful or harmful. It's a bit annoying to direct it to which blocks you want changed since it's effectively just an aura. You can hold a button to stop the effect. Meh.

Electronic Super Joy - Seemed really basic in terms of what your character is capable of doing but there's a lot happening in the environment, especially things trying to kill you. I was probably wearing thin on platformers at this point but I didn't really like it the first time I tried it either.

Fortix 2 - I'm not sure how I would describe this game, the self-proclaimed reverse tower defense title didn't seemed correct. Your character starts out on the outer edge of each map on a square, safe from any enemy attacks. You can claim space by creating a shape by starting from one point on this square and ending at a different point. The goal is to capture enemy towers and significant items. To do so, you must enclose that object inside the shape your character draws (I saw Qix referenced a lot in comments but I never played that). Fun for the few hours needed to clear all the maps which seems about the right length. Includes maps from the first game if you want to play more.

That Natalie Portman game Life is Strange kind of came out of nowhere, remember seeing it when it was announced and thinking it looked cool, now it comes out in a couple weeks. Didn't realize it was episodic which is cool.

Natalie Portman?

header.jpg

Is that not supposed to be Natalie Portman?

EDIT: Maybe I'm going insane, but I thought I heard somewhere she was involved.

Speevy

Banned
I thought the game was an adaptation of the film Blue is the Warmest Color. So you watch the lesbians go at it and rewind time so it happens indefinitely.

No?

*slowly backs out of thread*

Ayumi

Quick question: If I want to give away game coupons for Steam (I have a billion of them), can I just do it directly in this thread? It wouldn't be the same as giving away a game so using modbot would be very spammy.. I'd just link my inventory (set to public) and people can send me whatever trade they want. I don't want anything in return, I just wanna clear my inventory as much as I can. (You're free to pick some duplicated things I have as well, like backgrounds or whatever to turn into gems or sell.)

Quick question: If I want to give away game coupons for Steam (I have a billion of them), can I just do it directly in this thread? It wouldn't be the same as giving away a game so using modbot would be very spammy.. I'd just link my inventory (set to public) and people can send me whatever trade they want. I don't want anything in return, I just wanna clear my inventory as much as I can. (You're free to pick some duplicated things I have as well, like backgrounds or whatever to turn into gems or sell.)

It should be fine.

That Natalie Portman game Life is Strange kind of came out of nowhere, remember seeing it when it was announced and thinking it looked cool, now it comes out in a couple weeks. Didn't realize it was episodic which is cool.
What?
I thought the game was an adaptation of the film Blue is the Warmest Color. So you watch the lesbians go at it and rewind time so it happens indefinitely.

No?

*slowly backs out of thread*
What?

Tizoc

playing Shadows of Mordor
there's visible tearing :/

I set the fps lock to 60fps
running on GTX970 :/ any ideas?

I never had tearing, whether game was set to 60 or 30 FPS lock.
My laptop could run the game at High settings just fine, with Shadows set to low levels. With the 30 FPS lock I had 0 dips, but with 60 FPS, it fluctuates between the 40-50 range :p

Make sure VSync is turned on, it may not be in the graphics option page itself but it is there, just set everything on Medium with shadows on low and disable the heavy tasking options, then work up from there.

ExoSoul

Banned
Is this creature already missing a leg, or is it just hidden? I see 4 on the right, but only 3 on the left.
Misread, it's probably just view blocked by the body and positioned (grabbing) further back. If you look at the joints on the right side you can see that (standing up) it's the lowest joint so it would make sense to use that arm to grab to the back of the tower.

Donate them to the coupon dumpster?

wilflare

I play on 24 fps without screen tearing on my shitty laptop. I'll take it

true cinematic experience of 24 fps

Upgrade your pc.

:( I'm already on i5 and GTX970 :/ this PC gaming is expensive

go from fullscreen to borderless windowed. it's an option in the menu.

I will give that a try :/ was hoping for a silky smooth experience. there's just visible judder/stuttering/tearing.

btw Nabs, my DS4Windows no longer detects my DS4 T_T

I never had tearing, whether game was set to 60 or 30 FPS lock.
My laptop could run the game at High settings just fine, with Shadows set to low levels. With the 30 FPS lock I had 0 dips, but with 60 FPS, it fluctuates between the 40-50 range :p

Make sure VSync is turned on, it may not be in the graphics option page itself but it is there, just set everything on Medium with shadows on low and disable the heavy tasking options, then work up from there.

I turned VSync on as well - is there something wrong w my nVidia panel settings? I didn't adjust anything after the first installation.

maybe I should just do a 30 FPS lock

ExoSoul

Banned
I knew I was going to enjoy it but damn is Megabyte Punch addictive, I'm in love with the game.
We should have a Gaf tournament =]

Edit: Fuck, forgot the game is local only. Shame... =(

Tizoc

I turned VSync on as well - is there something wrong w my nVidia panel settings? I didn't adjust anything after the first installation.

maybe I should just do a 30 FPS lock

I was gonna mention that, try first the 30 FPS lock if you still get screen tearing, use NVidia Inspector to force some vsync and use Nvidia experience if you have it to let it choose the best visual settings for you, then change them from your end to maybe find out what's causing the screen tearing.

Nabs

btw Nabs, my DS4Windows no longer detects my DS4 T_T

Well, it's not the DS4W you have to worry about. Does your PC detect it is the important question. As long as your PC can see the "Wireless Controller" you should be in business.

Ayumi

Ah, thanks! I'll use that for some things, but I really wanted to give some things back to GAF.

Anyone who wants something in my inventory, feel free to send me an empty trade offer. 3 items per person (but 5 coupons is fine) (might change depending on popularity).
The only things I don't want to trade away is my cards, coupon for Portal 2 and the items I only have 1 of. Anything duplicated is fine, almost!
Just send me a trade offer and I'll most likely accept.

Note: I don't want anything in return.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kimoi/inventory/

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
soooo. theres an anime sale right now and im looking at the titles so i have to ask: is Killer is Dead worth the 6.76 bucks? i mean its a Suda51 game which is cool but it was panned by some.

Wait till it hits 6.75 IMO

Nabs

DotEmu just announced the Double Dragon Trilogy. It has local and online multi:

It's hitting Steam, GOG and Amazon on the 15th.

Paris, France – January 9, 2015 – DotEmu, developer and publisher specializing in modern releases of beloved retro games, is proud to announce that Double Dragon Trilogy will be available on PC on January 15th. A groundbreaking, uber-popular game upon its arcade debut in 1987, Double Dragon is the undisputed godfather of co-op beat ‘em all!

Enter Double Dragon Trilogy, a compilation including all three installments of the beloved arcade series: Double Dragon, Double Dragon 2: The Revenge, and Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone. The first one begins with Billy and his brother Jimmy, two martial arts experts, in a mission to rescue Billy's girlfriend, Marian, who’s been kidnapped by the Black Shadows Gang. All your favorite moves are here: punches, kicks, elbows, knees, head-butts and an assortment of not-exactly-street-legal weapons.

FEATURES:

• Two game modes: “Arcade” (play the game from beginning to end and go for the high score) and “Story” (unlock new stages and achievements while playing through the game)
• Customizable controls (keyboard & controller)
• Three difficulty levels: “easy” (easier than the original), “original” (similar to the arcade version) and “expert” (a real challenge!)
• Choose between the original 8-bit soundtrack and a brand-new remastered one!
• Choose between the original graphics or video filter
• Local or online multiplayer

Miguel81

PRAISE BE TO DETECTIVEGAF

http://media.giphy.com/media/iSKFtpF2HzneE/giphy.gif[img]
[spoiler]Ys 6 PC release is seeming very eminent[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

That's pretty assuring. I'd been wondering when/if Ys VI would be seeing the light of day on PC/Steam(outside of Japan). My PS2 copy is long gone :(

[quote="Nabs, post: 146769395"]snip[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, Nabs. My only experience with the series has been the NES Trilogy, but I'll be looking forward to this.

Saty

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news...ng-horror-icon-jason-voorhees-in-development/
Currently in development, Friday the 13th will reportedly be an asymmetrical, co-operative and competitive multiplayer predator/prey horror experience that pits a small group of resourceful survivors against a single player in control of the immortal, relentless slasher icon.

This will be the first official Friday the 13th licensed game to feature the hockey mask–wearing, machete-wielding psychopath since players last faced off against the infamous Jason on the NES back in 1989.

FRIDAY-THE-13TH-ANNOUNCE-ART-V2-630x747.jpg

Today's my birthday so here's a little something that I think looks cool

giphy.gif

Happy birthday Ninjen!

Oh yeah, Happy b-day mate~

Thanks!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blade Kitten -- MB-3FC54366C91BE9AA - Taken by Kurt Russell. 14 entrants total.

t1420890523z1.png

edit: moved to new page

Benedict

Ah, thanks! I'll use that for some things, but I really wanted to give some things back to GAF.

Anyone who wants something in my inventory, feel free to send me an empty trade offer. 3 items per person (but 5 coupons is fine) (might change depending on popularity).
The only things I don't want to trade away is my cards, coupon for Portal 2 and the items I only have 1 of. Anything duplicated is fine, almost!
Just send me a trade offer and I'll most likely accept.

Note: I don't want anything in return.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kimoi/inventory/

I'm interested in some of your emoticons, added you, but don't know how to send you a trade offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom