• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Checking the Vive vs. Oculus thread and see the same old "console" wars as in console wars threads.

People who preordered the OR talking shit about Vive, people thinking of buying the Vive talking shit about OR, even though both arent even out yet...

platform wars :p

gaming side is a mistake, it's nothing but trash

everyone seems to have an agenda and everyone seems to take everything defensively

impact

Banned
Capcom need to just unlock DD already... fuck I can't take this wait. Pirates already get to play and legit customers have to wait -_______________-

I want just to point this out:

-if the game is just re-released with removed tracks and no bug fixing (because even excluding GFWL, the game needs TOO MANY stunts to be played on Win10), R* reveals to be just an hyprocryte
-the game has securom
-the game has GFWL

I find just hilarious R* keeps selling their games without patching them at ALL to just run on modern OS (even Manhunt needs a crack or something like that to run on modern OS).
GFWL+Securom removal should be mandatory, with Win10 support. I don't mind achievements and steamwork integration, but I have GTAIV in my library from years, never managed to activate it on GFWL, Social Club doesn't work too, and plus the game has Securom and I burned an activation on my old machine.

Just look at this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/12210/discussions/

and on R* forums is even worse.

Oh man.

I regret not playing this when it came out. Seems hard to own a non gimped version nowadays.

I consider removing songs removing an essential part of the GTA experience. To add to that all this GFWL/securom bulllshit.

Uzzy

Before voting for the SteamGAF GOTY awards, I figured I should play some of the smaller games that came out last year that I think might have a shot at being in my list. So with that in mind, today I finished Cibele.

There's a lot to admire about this game. While it's only 'based on a true story', it's very autobiographical, and it's pretty brave of the developer, Nina Freeman, to put together such an intimate, almost voyeuristic look at her formative years and first love. Young love may be a subject much travelled in other media, ever since Thespis first stood up on a stage, but it's still rare in gaming, and as such it's valuable to see it here.

Gaming has this unique ability to really place you in another person's mindset, to let you explore their life, ideas and experiences. That's where Cibele excels, in letting you explore the desktop of 'Nina' and find out what she's going through at your own pace. It's awkward in the way young people are in their formative years, and it was certainly uncomfortable to see it all out there, laid bare for your eyes. There's a lot of different media you can view, pictures, blog posts, e-mails, even html code, that bring out a lot of small and large details about 'Nina' and her relationship with Ichi/Blake.

The faux MMO in the game, Valtameri, isn't that interesting. Mechanically you just click monsters to summon a boss three times, then beat that boss. But mechanics aren't really the point of the game. The gameplay of the MMO is entirely secondary to the more important social interactions that are going on, with Ichi/Blake and others, which is interesting to listen to and read through. I'd have liked more, but what I got was good.

It's awkward, uncomfortable and voyeuristic. But I still liked it a lot. I love that we have these autobiographical pieces in gaming now. Games like Cibele, The Beginners Guide and Her Story point the way towards really excellent explorations of people's stories in gaming, but I think the best of that style is yet to come.

Dsyndrome

Suits: A Business RPG is $0.59, BernardoOne seemed to like it. Not sure if it's a 48-hour sale or I just missed Turfster or someone posting it on Friday.

Somebody teach me about Gedosato? Are all of you using that?

I remember once, I had made custom resolutions, and downsampled that way, to get rid of aliasing. Now I use nothing but what's in-game. =/

Good to see you back mate!

Btw, is Medal of Honor: Allied Assault available digitally anywhere?

I think I have it on origin.

There a MoH pack with MoHAA and its expansions.

Jazz573

Suits: A Business RPG is $0.59, BernardoOne seemed to like it. Not sure if it's a 48-hour sale or I just missed Turfster or someone posting it on Friday.

It's a good game.

Unfortuantely, I've hit some difficult bosses that I need to beat to progress the game. I've fought them multiple times, and I guess I should grind a little, but I've gotten tired of them to the point of considering using CheatEngine. :p

Anteater

Somebody teach me about Gedosato? Are all of you using that?

I remember once, I had made custom resolutions, and downsampled that way, to get rid of aliasing. Now I use nothing but what's in-game. =/

gedosato is basically a downsampling tool before downsampling is a thing, it only supports dx9 games tho

Echoplx

Damn Splinter Cell Blacklist is amazing, haven't had this much fun with co-op horde mode since Mass Effect 3, the co-op campaigns are great too, coming up with plans and executing them with a buddy is so satisfying, haven't even touched the single player or spies vs mercs mode yet, so much awesome content.

dex3108

Few days ago i tried creating custom resolution for my 1080p monitor (1440p 59Hz) and it worked (60Hz is not possible) but i had vertical black bar on right side of my monitor. Today i tried 58Hz and it didn't work at all (Monitor out of range issue) then i went back to 59Hz and everything worked without issue and no more black bar. I tested in few games and it works without any issues even Steam Overlay scales perfectly and it is usable :D

I really don't know how to explain this.

Echoplx

Few days ago i tried creating custom resolution for my 1080p monitor (1440p 59Hz) and it worked (60Hz is not possible) but i had vertical black bar on right side of my monitor. Today i tried 58Hz and it didn't work at all (Monitor out of range issue) then i went back to 59Hz and everything worked without issue and no more black bar. I tested in few games and it works without any issues even Steam Overlay scales perfectly and it is usable :D

I really don't know how to explain this.

Wait why are you making custom resolutions when both AMD and Nvidia have native support for downsampling?

It's a good game.

Unfortuantely, I've hit some difficult bosses that I need to beat to progress the game. I've fought them multiple times, and I guess I should grind a little, but I've gotten tired of them to the point of considering using CheatEngine. :p

I found it to be pretty hit and miss.
The game-play itself is very basic for an RPG, and while the humor is amusing for a while, with some parts that just fell flat, it did not carry the game all the way through. I only had problems with difficulty early in the game, but once you get going it wasn't very difficult. One thing to keep in mind is that grinding for levels seems mostly pointless, since the biggest gains are obtained from upgrading your gear (I never found much use for high-level skills, and your characters only get marginally stronger). So grind for money, if anything.

dex3108

Wait why are you making custom resolutions when both AMD and Nvidia have native support for downsampling?

Nvidia DSR pushes 60Hz (or even more) and i get "Out of Range" message on my monitor. Gedosato and custom resolution (at 59Hz) works. It is my monitor that causes issues. When i use HDMI cable and attach my TV on PC DSR works without issues.

Echoplx

Nvidia DSR pushes 60Hz (or even more) and i get "Out of Range" message on my monitor. Gedosato and custom resolution (at 59Hz) works. It is my monitor that causes issues. When i use HDMI cable and attach my TV on PC DSR works without issues.

Ah that sucks, custom resolutions seem like the dark ages now :p

https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446262&p=49500445&viewfull=1#post49500445

Looks like the Steam Workshop entry page is displaying apps it probably shouldn't:

Ev3DJbI.png

Top left one (with the Spotify logo) is an unknown app. Based on recent rumblings, it's probably for Steam Link stuff. Or maybe Steam controller stuff?

Top right one is "Galactineers", which got Greenlit at some point. Doesn't seem too interesting.

Bottom right one is this:

I have no idea what this is, and Google isn't proving useful. Any ideas?

Huh, weird. Was there when I took the screenshot!

The app codes, for SteamDB:
Unknown App (the one with Workshop Spotify)
Galactineers
Diamond

Just checked the workshop again, 'squadron 42' has appeared and there's no sign of spotify now

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
-Entered Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition thread
-Saw people talking about Souls combat
-Exited the thread
"everything needs to be like that one great thing"
It's depressing. :(

Grief.exe

Ah that sucks, custom resolutions seem like the dark ages now :p

I still use Custom Resolutions because I don't like dealing with the DSR - Smoothness setting that comes from not having even multiple resolutions setting. I have a 1440p monitor, so any 2x, 4x, etc stepping is going to be quite large.

Easier to just set 4K, or some custom resolution in between, and allow the driver to downsample automatically without any inherent fuzziness.

The drivers handle downsampling much easier now, there is no need to mess with timings, all done automatically.

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks! Is that price from the BST thread here? The two big key reselling sites that shall not be named are asking for 30+ USD

Yeah, but that price was because of a certain price error at Newegg. It's unlikely to find anymore copies at that price on B/S/T (individual copies from someone that bought a graphics card aside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom