• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Dongs Macabre, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dongs Macabre, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Just Cause 3 -- MB-7A898685B08C9242 - Taken by Messiah. 160 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Just Cause 3 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1452465290z1.png

Arthea

Playing Undertale has me interesting in shmups/bullet hell games. I'm kind of terrible even at dodging in Undertale, though, but I know Steam has several such games to choose from. Any suggestions which would be great for a newbie? One with a baby difficulty mode maybe.

the problem with SHMUPS that they aren't newbie friendly (or old people friendly for that matter), at least I don't remember playing such.
I don't think Undertale is a good example how those games play.
You can try any and see how it goes, maybe you'll be able to get into it easily, you never know. There were several bundles with SHMUPS, so you probably have some. BTW do you like learning patterns?

re5 is life

re5 is love

I thought that was Alan Wake
this is getting confusing fast.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finally progressed through Rufus in Final Fantasy VII, and now there's a lot of backstory, and that's why I'm playing these games. For the stories and characters, and I love it. Thanks to thesaucetastic, I now know much more about the game's mechanics, like party line-up, materia and magic. Love it.

LOVE IT.

I'm 7.5 hours in. Hopefully I can actually beat this Final Fantasy. I'm also doing Until Dawn with the girlfriend. It's really a ton of fun.
No problem, I'm just glad I could help!

it's 70 hour long game or so, but every hour is worth it, just don't get distracted this time and you'll be fine.
Isn't it more like 40 if he just wants to finish the story? I think howlongtobeat has it around there.

IDK, I don't do only story runs of games I like, do you?
I do. I did that for Digital Devil Saga 1, and that's one of my favorite games. I didn't feel like fighting the secret bosses though.

Uzzy

i think the point of the mmo is to be an absolutely tedious and mindless thing u do while chatting

i forgot which game it was she was playing at the time, but in my experience doing the same thing while playing ragnarok online it was just that kind of experience

talking to someone while mindlessly mowing down trash mobs without even caring about the game was how i played mmos back then.

mmos weren't as action packed as they are now, either

Yeah, I very much agree. From what I've read it was FFXI she was playing at the time, and it's interesting how it brings back that feeling of just mindlessly clicking on enemies in old MMOs. The gameplay then was secondary to the social interactions you'd have through MMOs.

It's an interesting game for sure. I'm not sure it'll rate on my top 5 list though.

On another note, there's a lovely thread over on gaming side showing off Wheels of Aurelia, which is billed as a narrative racing game set in the 70's in Italy. It's developed by Santa Ragione, who previously made games such as Mirrormoon and Fotonica. The lead character looks very cool too.

Arthea

Isn't it more like 40 if he just wants to finish the story? I think howlongtobeat has it around there.

IDK, I don't do only story runs of games I like, do you?

edited: actually now when I think about, I don't do story runs period, if I don't like gameplay, I drop a game, if I like it I at least try to do as much as possible.

Eila

Playing Undertale has me interesting in shmups/bullet hell games. I'm kind of terrible even at dodging in Undertale, though, but I know Steam has several such games to choose from. Any suggestions which would be great for a newbie? One with a baby difficulty mode maybe.

Crimzon Clover is super fun.
I also really like the Touhou games that I've played (I think 6-10). All of them have a really easy first half and then ramp up the difficulty like crazy.

Anteater

Danmaku Unlimited 2

the bullet patterns are really easy to read, so difficulty is just right

it's really fun

Pachimari

It's crazy, imagine this. I finally got through Rufus but I forgot to save, so I had to do the whole chase on Cloud's motorcycle and protect my friends. The catch? I had to do with a Xbox Elite controller, where I controlled the bike with the analogue stick and punched right with the A button. While I had to use the F button on the keyboard to punch left.

Imagine how I were sitting there with both, trying to fend off enemies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I very much agree. From what I've read it was FFXI she was playing at the time, and it's interesting how it brings back that feeling of just mindlessly clicking on enemies in old MMOs. The gameplay then was secondary to the social interactions you'd have through MMOs.

It's an interesting game for sure. I'm not sure it'll rate on my top 5 list though.

On another note, there's a lovely thread over on gaming side showing off Wheels of Aurelia, which is billed as a narrative racing game set in the 70's in Italy. It's developed by Santa Ragione, who previously made games such as Mirrormoon and Fotonica. The lead character looks very cool too.
yeah it's in my shortlist, i'll get to it soonish

Kriken

whats more jarring, if you told someone some years ago how awesome it is to take screenshots on PC and that it would be a cool feature if console had that. You would be PCMR Scum with an elitist view.

Can't wait for the PS5 to allow people to choose certain settings for better framerates...
who am I kidding, next gen will be 1440/30

the problem with SHMUPS that they aren't newbie friendly (or old people friendly for that matter), at least I don't remember playing such.
I don't think Undertale is a good example how those games play.
You can try any and see how it goes, maybe you'll be able to get into it easily, you never know. There were several bundles with SHMUPS, so you probably have some. BTW do you like learning patterns?

I have Astebreed from a bundle, but it looks like it might be a bit different from 2D shmups. Learning patterns plays a large part in the games? Guess I'll figure out if I have a talent for it.

Crimzon Clover is super fun.
I also really like the Touhou games that I've played (I think 6-10). All of them have a really easy first half and then ramp up the difficulty like crazy.

Danmaku Unlimited 2

the bullet patterns are really easy to read, so difficulty is just right

it's really fun

Added those to my wishlist to bookmark them, thanks for the suggestions!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I have Astebreed from a bundle, but it looks like it might be a bit different from 2D shmups. Learning patterns plays a large part in the games? Guess I'll figure out if I have a talent for it.

Added those to my wishlist to bookmark them, thanks for the suggestions!
If you have Ballpoint Universe, try it. It's pretty newbie friendly, though it's a horizontal shmup rather than a vertical one. Also has some platforming if you're interested.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah they got those little lines instead of start or select, dunno what they call them now. They do the same as start and select ever did.

So? The PS4 start equivalent does it too, and for the select equivalent you now click the touchpad, which is even easier to reach than the share button, so i dont see the issue.

masterkajo

I am having a special kind of problem here. I have Resident Evil 6 on my external HDD and want to reinstall it in steam. So What I am doing is copying it into SteamApps/common and start steam, then click install. Steam tells me that it is discovering existing files and then still proceeds to download all over again. I have a limited bandwith and want steam to use my exisiting files. Apparently (after some google research) that only works if I also have the *.acf file which I don't.

Long story short, does anyone know a way to fix this or perhaps someone has Resident Evil 6 installed and can send me a PM with the contents of his "appmanifest_221040.acf" which is located in the SteamApps folder.

Thanks guys that would really help me out.

dex3108

Damn i just played GTA V again (mostly tennis and golf but i drive around the city too) and i turned off AA and used Resolution Scale or something like that in Advanced Graphics tab (i used 1.25 i think) and game looks great and runs at 60+ FPS on High settings on my GTX 760.

Backlogger

Funstock had sent me an invalid key for my free Fallout 4 Season Pass. I emailed them back yesterday letting them know. They just sent me another key and it worked.

Its awesome that they did this. I wasn't expecting it nor asking for any type of compensation but I am still not sure this changes my mind to trust them with pre-orders.

We'll see I guess.

cyba89

whats more jarring, if you told someone some years ago how awesome it is to take screenshots on PC and that it would be a cool feature if console had that. You would be PCMR Scum with an elitist view.

PC vs consoles narrative is strong in this thread.

gelf

I spent above 200 hours on my second playgthrough, well, mostly for a guide and following those leads that led nowhere, also trying to solve secrets that were unsolvable. I also think I spent about 100 hours on my first time and I remember from discussions around the time it was released that there were people that spend more than 30 hours in Gold Saucer alone.
You must be not a curious type to finish it in such a short time. Or could it be you didn't like it?
To use a guide, playing a game for the first time seems like such a waste to me, but then again I hate spoilers and like discovering secrets and mechanics, not to mention efficient ways of killing bosses.
I had borrowed it from my cousin so was rushing through to finish it before giving it back and I did do silly things I wouldn't do now like running from a lot of battles. It made boss fights a lot harder as I was low level but I muddled through. Restarts after dying could have added a few more hours not counted on my save. I certainly didn't do much optional stuff and I've never liked the mini games.

I've played it much more thoroughly since but never in the region of 100 hours. I don't care for grinding for ultimate weapons or stuff like that. I tried once but aside from getting a gold chocobo I couldn't find the motivation.

Jawmuncher

I'll answer myself
JoeyOnReddit 2 points 23 hours ago
for those wondering - it is simply a program that automatically changes your profile picture. it is not a GIF workaround, and it will remain static for anyone on your page, i guess it moves around when viewing your friends i guess

Oh goddamnit. So we had to enter it as the code and "fuck trivia giveaways"? Someone that enters now is going to be lucky as shit.

Should've remembered with Ozium's scorpion trivia or whatever it was.

I think he did a new regular giveaway so that shouldn't be the case unless I'm dumb and missed it.

Uzzy

How did you know it was going to be a heavy metal band? I mean, other than heavy metal being the best music around.

I've been playing a bit of SOMA, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I prefer the discussions on the nature of consciousness to the horror aspects, but that's hardly a surprise. Will play more when my new headphones arrive.

Dsyndrome

I think he did a new regular giveaway so that shouldn't be the case unless I'm dumb and missed it.
I think that when you start as a trivia giveaway, ModBot maintains the original script when it's given away, or that's what happened when nobody ever guessed Ozium's trivia. I think that's why it looks like nobody has entered for the game even though time has passed.

Stump or JaseC may be able to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom