• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

titch

HBDY you know who you are

yhSJJD0l.jpg

Anteater

Little late on this

https://i.imgur.com/knCWrEb.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

honestly it's cool they're releasing games on multiplatform, whatever helps them increase their revenue, only stupid ass fanboys care about whether their favorite games come out on a single platform or not

Grief.exe

Dragon's Dogma OT is complete.

Just have some feelers out for a comparable font for the banner images and to some people involved in the pre-release testing period to check for any fidelity settings they had in place.

24171025772_8b044f748e_o.gif

honestly it's cool they're releasing games on multiplatform, whatever helps them increase their revenue, only stupid ass fanboys care about whether their favorite games come out on a single platform or not

Those conversations taking place in the PSX threads were inherently difficult to say the least.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Dragon's Dogma OT is complete.

Just have some feelers out for a comparable font for the banner images and to some people involved in the pre-release testing period to check for any fidelity settings they had in place.

24171025772_8b044f748e_o.gif

Those conversations taking place in the PSX threads were inherently difficult to say the least.

I went in there and saw people get angry at other people who said they'll probably pick it up on PC when it launches there, even though mods added "console exclusive" to the title of the thread.

Uzzy

Ooooooooooooooooh myyyyyyyyyyyyy goooooood

Can you.... can you play as MORTARION!? O_O

Strange that they'd make up a new version of Talisman for Horus Heresy stuff, and not just make a digital version of Relic, which is already Talisman in the 40k Universe.

Dr Dogg

Are there games other than TIS-100? I forgot.

I'm starting to feel guilty because of the folks who gifted me stuff over the winter sale and all I can literally think of at the moment is TIS-100. I specifically had a bath this morning so I could take my iPad with me to theorycraft. Spent the better half the day sat on the sofa with the tv on but really writting and rewriting my programs to try something new to get my cycle count down. Even when making dinner I was thinking moving bits of code from one node to the next in an attempt to spread the load and reduce idle times. I guess this is what it felt like when folks in here got swept up in Hexcells early last year. Stupid TIS-100, you're taking over my life :(

Edit: Also my heart skiped a beat when I noticed this...
EO3B2TI.png

Then the realisation of the Non Steam Game sank in and dreams where shattered. Well that and it being title case instead of all caps like every FINAL FANTASY ON STEAM so far!

Knurek

EO3B2TI.png

Then the realisation of the Non Steam Game sank in and dreams where shattered. Well that and it being title case instead of all caps like every FINAL FANTASY ON STEAM so far!

Jshacks, please post your impressions on, IMO, the best Final Fantasy game out there.

AHA-Lambda

a couple of people have now messaged me while I've been at work

hint if it shows me as playing Fallout 4 it's not actually me XD
that game is so bad

Hmm, guess they're not going to remove GFWL? =/

Oh and welcome back Lash :)

EDIT: weird EFLC is still up though

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
EO3B2TI.png

HAHA I wondered if anyone would think that, almost named it FINAL FANTASY XII: INTERNATIONAL Zodiac Job System which is I believe the Square-Enix proper casing.

Jshacks, please post your impressions on, IMO, the best Final Fantasy game out there.

I haven't played XII since it was released in the US back in '06 so this is pretty exciting for me. I tried playing this on my older graphics card about a year ago and it struggled big time to keep up. Also Grief said that PS2 emulation has come a long way in the last few months, so I decided to give it a shot. 60fps, widescreen, flawless sound, I'm in heaven. The Job System license boards fixes my major gripe with the game before in that all of the characters were too much the same. Plus, I love job systems and this is an interesting take on it.

I'm mentally preparing myself to get lost in this for 100 hours or so, and I'm coming to terms with that.

MUnited83

For you.
a couple of people have now messaged me while I've been at work

hint if it shows me as playing Fallout 4 it's not actually me XD
that game is so bad

Hmm, guess they're not going to remove GFWL? =/

Oh and welcome back Lash :)

EDIT: weird EFLC is still up though
They're not removing GFWL, but it wasn't removed because of that. Steam just ran out of keys. It will be back.

Knurek

Also Grief said that PS2 emulation has come a long way in the last few months, so I decided to give it a shot. 60fps, widescreen, flawless sound, I'm in heaven. The Job System license boards fixes my major gripe with the game before in that all of the characters were too much the same. Plus, I love job systems and this is an interesting take on it.

Care to share your config?
Doesn't FF12 have native widescreen support?

I'm mentally preparing myself to get lost in this for 100 hours or so, and I'm coming to terms with that.

I think you're underestimating the game. Unless you won't be doing any of the postgame content.
(My playthrough of OG FF12 was at 80 something hours, and I didn't touch any of the harder dungeons/hunts/espers. Might be due to PAL version, maybe the NTSC one runs faster)

Dsyndrome

Pony Island codes have refreshed, quote to obtain one (should work, said I already own the game). Let me know if it works.
Edit: Taken.

zkylon

zkylewd
fuck rei

rei sucks

Isn't Far Cry 2 the game where you have malaria and everything is on fire?

That doesn't sound like a fun time.
it is

it's not the most fun game but it's the closest we've gotten to stalker so i'll allow it

Splendid game but I gotta agree, the character & leveling systems have tons of issues and were bit of a disappointment.

The only things that improved in that field going from Witcher 2 to 3, was that investing just 1 point in an ability instead of maxing it out isn't as consistently a waste, and the chance to respec comes much earlier.

When I say "waste", I means skills like this that were abundant in Witcher 2

Synthesis
Level 1: +20 HP
Level 2: +100 HP

Specialization: Potions
Level 1: Potion duration +10%
Level 2: Potion duration +40%
i don't know why they didn't stick with the witcha 1 system, that one was simple and made sense

the witcha 3 system is absolutely ridiculous

Before voting for the SteamGAF GOTY awards, I figured I should play some of the smaller games that came out last year that I think might have a shot at being in my list. So with that in mind, today I finished Cibele.

There's a lot to admire about this game. While it's only 'based on a true story', it's very autobiographical, and it's pretty brave of the developer, Nina Freeman, to put together such an intimate, almost voyeuristic look at her formative years and first love. Young love may be a subject much travelled in other media, ever since Thespis first stood up on a stage, but it's still rare in gaming, and as such it's valuable to see it here.

Gaming has this unique ability to really place you in another person's mindset, to let you explore their life, ideas and experiences. That's where Cibele excels, in letting you explore the desktop of 'Nina' and find out what she's going through at your own pace. It's awkward in the way young people are in their formative years, and it was certainly uncomfortable to see it all out there, laid bare for your eyes. There's a lot of different media you can view, pictures, blog posts, e-mails, even html code, that bring out a lot of small and large details about 'Nina' and her relationship with Ichi/Blake.

The faux MMO in the game, Valtameri, isn't that interesting. Mechanically you just click monsters to summon a boss three times, then beat that boss. But mechanics aren't really the point of the game. The gameplay of the MMO is entirely secondary to the more important social interactions that are going on, with Ichi/Blake and others, which is interesting to listen to and read through. I'd have liked more, but what I got was good.

It's awkward, uncomfortable and voyeuristic. But I still liked it a lot. I love that we have these autobiographical pieces in gaming now. Games like Cibele, The Beginners Guide and Her Story point the way towards really excellent explorations of people's stories in gaming, but I think the best of that style is yet to come.
i think the point of the mmo is to be an absolutely tedious and mindless thing u do while chatting

i forgot which game it was she was playing at the time, but in my experience doing the same thing while playing ragnarok online it was just that kind of experience

talking to someone while mindlessly mowing down trash mobs without even caring about the game was how i played mmos back then.

mmos weren't as action packed as they are now, either

happy to see you back in action iashybot

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm doing 4x Native resolution on Direct3D11 (Hardware) with 8xAF, 16xMSAA using the external GSdx10 shader. The game looks pretty good! As for widescreen, that may be true that it was in the original game. But believe it or not I didn't own a widescreen TV back then so I wasn't able to take advantage of that. I guess it's in the list of changes the International version brings because the OG game in Japan didn't support it.

I think you're underestimating the game. Unless you won't be doing any of the postgame content.
(My playthrough of OG FF12 was at 80 something hours, and I didn't touch any of the harder dungeons/hunts/espers. Might be due to PAL version, maybe the NTSC one runs faster)

I might be, it's been almost 10 years so my memory on it is a bit fuzzy. I was thinking it took me about 60-65 hours before. I actually beat it within the first week it came out. But being that there weren't really guides online and I didn't know any better, I probably missed a heck of a lot of stuff.

Pachimari

I finally progressed through Rufus in Final Fantasy VII, and now there's a lot of backstory, and that's why I'm playing these games. For the stories and characters, and I love it. Thanks to thesaucetastic, I now know much more about the game's mechanics, like party line-up, materia and magic. Love it.

LOVE IT.

I'm 7.5 hours in. Hopefully I can actually beat this Final Fantasy. I'm also doing Until Dawn with the girlfriend. It's really a ton of fun.

tuxfool

Banned

It does. But from what I understand it does in in a strange way that zooms out the camera, pcsx2 fixes that so it looks better than the native widescreen (though you still have to enable inside the game).

Arthea

I finally progressed through Rufus in Final Fantasy VII, and now there's a lot of backstory, and that's why I'm playing these games. For the stories and characters, and I love it. Thanks to thesaucetastic, I now know much more about the game's mechanics, like party line-up, materia and magic. Love it.

LOVE IT.

I'm 7.5 hours in. Hopefully I can actually beat this Final Fantasy. I'm also doing Until Dawn with the girlfriend. It's really a ton of fun.

it's 70 hour long game or so, but every hour is worth it, just don't get distracted this time and you'll be fine.

fantomena

Watching Making a Murderer on Netflix.

What a fucking horrible piece of shit justice system USA has. I mean, it's not even a justice system, there's no justice. It's Game of Thrones IRL.

Pachimari

it's 70 hour long game or so, but every hour is worth it, just don't get distracted this time and you'll be fine.

!?

I were expecting around 25 hours. Holy shit at 70. Hopefully I can do it but I don't know.

Wahat a fucking horrible piece of shit justice system USA has. I mean, it's not even a justice system, there's no justice. It's Game of Thrones IRL 2015.

I also just started watching it yesterday.

jshackles

!?

I were expecting around 25 hours. Holy shit at 70. Hopefully I can do it but I don't know.

It's around 70 hours for EVERYTHING. I did a 100% achievement run when the game first came to Steam that took 65 hours. In that run I was able to beat the final boss in about 35, although I've beat that game probably 10 or so times so I knew where to go, etc. Don't get overwhelmed by the time, just enjoy the journey.

gelf

I'm pretty sure I beat FFVII in under 30 hours the first time I played through it not including any game over reloads. I didn't bother with most side activities of course, In fact I missed a lot of stuff without knowing it was even there as I had no access to GameFAQs then.

zkylon

zkylewd

What a fucking horrible piece of shit justice system USA has. I mean, it's not even a justice system, there's no justice. It's Game of Thrones IRL.
i watched that show expecting it to be serial

but it was just a real documentary

zzzzzzzzz

yuraya

So is GTAIV gone for good?

I remember beating it on PS3 ages ago. It was fun game nothing special. Still tho I kinda feel bad for never buying it on steam since it was always dirt cheap.

Playing Undertale has me interesting in shmups/bullet hell games. I'm kind of terrible even at dodging in Undertale, though, but I know Steam has several such games to choose from. Any suggestions which would be great for a newbie? One with a baby difficulty mode maybe.

MUnited83

For you.
So is GTAIV gone for good?

I remember beating it on PS3 ages ago. It was fun game nothing special. Still tho I kinda feel bad for never buying it on steam since it was always dirt cheap.

It isn't gone. It's still on the store, Steam is just out of keys. They are contacting Rockstar and will get more keys. This happens every year.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Dongs Macabre, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dongs Macabre, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Just Cause 3 -- MB-7A898685B08C9242 - Taken by Messiah. 160 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Just Cause 3 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1452464930z1.png

Fairly sure Xbox has the equivalent of the "start" button on the right too :p
Yeah they got those little lines instead of start or select, dunno what they call them now. They do the same as start and select ever did.
Not everyone, just Sony fans. Say how much Bloodborne got robbed, and they'll forgive you.
Never, if anything Ori will be robbed as the new GOTY and REmaster will be forgotten as a nominee.
Where have people been the last twenty years?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1168728
Do not gaze upon my failure of a post.

Arthea

I'm pretty sure I beat FFVII in under 30 hours the first time I played through it not including any game over reloads. I didn't bother with most side activities of course, In fact I missed a lot of stuff without knowing it was even there as I had no access to GameFAQs then.

I spent above 200 hours on my second playgthrough, well, mostly for a guide and following those leads that led nowhere, also trying to solve secrets that were unsolvable. I also think I spent about 100 hours on my first time and I remember from discussions around the time it was released that there were people that spend more than 30 hours in Gold Saucer alone.
You must be not a curious type to finish it in such a short time. Or could it be you didn't like it?
To use a guide, playing a game for the first time seems like such a waste to me, but then again I hate spoilers and like discovering secrets and mechanics, not to mention efficient ways of killing bosses.

Teggy

fuck rei

rei sucks

The outdoor sporting equipment store?

Woot! I finished Fire Emblem Awakening. Now I just need to keep going on XCOM - I'm doing a lot better playing vanilla EU.

It doesn't seem like there are too many sequels coming out this year that I need to get caught up on. I'm probably screwed for Star Ocean (need to finish 2, the play 3 and 4), and other that maybe Hitman? Seems kind of like a reboot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom