• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiah

Oh goddamnit. So we had to enter it as the code and "fuck trivia giveaways"? Someone that enters now is going to be lucky as shit.

Should've remembered with Ozium's scorpion trivia or whatever it was.

I decided to try it and this was it. If Dongs is okay with it I would be willing to reraffle the key to give everyone a fair shot though.

Leave it untaken. Have ModBot autorepost it every day and use it to lure in posters. Additional games can be added to it every couple of months to keep it fresh.

Like a Free Parking space no one will ever land on.

EDIT - Aww.

Eila

Since we were talking about shmups I gave Suguri a try and holy shit, can't even get past second stage, and that's on easy difficulty. It's very different from every other shmup that I've played.

Crossposting from the Indie thread

Convoy

header.jpg

I bought Convoy because it's marketed on the store page as being inspired by FTL and Mad Max, so the mix of the two brought some curiosity to myself. While it indeed has some similarities with FTL, most of the core mechanics are different, like the combat the way you navigate through the map, etc.

The plot is the following, your ship was damaged and had to land on a desert planet called Omek Prime that is dominated by three factions that fight between themselves and will try kill you whenever is possible. Since your ship was damaged, you need to retrieve four components to fix it and get out of that planet and the main objectives are randomly choose when you start a new game. The map is fixed, so the roads will always be in the same place as well the place where your ship is landed (center of map), the navigation is the first difference form FTL, while on FTL you jumped through beacons on a zone, in Convoy you drive through the map and the terrain influences the amount of fuel you spend, driving on roads makes you go fast and save fuel, driving on elevated parts of the map will make it goes slower and consumes more fuel.

About the combat, you have your MCV that must be protect because if destroyed you get an automatic game over, so you need to protect it using the other vehicles. The take on the battles in interesting, you can't control the MCV, it's always going to move on a straight line during battles, so you need to position the other vehicles because their weapons have a range and to attack an enemy vehicle it need to be inside your range and can't be obstructed by another vehicle. What I found interesting in the battles is the need to pay attention to your environment, because there are debris on the roads and letting your cars hit means it's going to get destroyed.

As you progress on the missions the factions becomes more strong raising their influences over zones and making the random encounter harder, so you need to stop on an outpost to upgrade your vehicles, buy new weapons replenish the fuel too keep going. As FTL you can unlock other starting cars by fulfilling certain criteria.

One point that I really disliked on the game were all the pop culture references it's going to make, the ones I found were blatantly in my face, like being a point on the main quests. I can appreciate references and easter eggs but those felt like trying too hard. Just to give an example on the main quests there were references to:
The Breaking Bad, Back to the Future, A Clockwork Orange, Star Trek
and it goes for the random encounters, so in the end instead feeling like a homage all those easter-eggs/references felt overdone.

I recommend the game, because the way the combat works is interesting and can get very chaotic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
starting to think people deleting games are on to something. Im not deleting them (mostly because I dont care that people see them or whatever reasoning people use to delete games) but my 2016 thing is moving alot of shit to my "done with / finished / hidden away / whatever you want to call it" category.

Some shit I just move there just from looking at it and knowing "I will never play this in a million years", but most im at least downloading and giving it a try, kinda like I was doing a few months ago with trying games for like 10mins, but this time I do that and send them packing never to be heard from again if I dont like it.

Too many games on my (our?) lists, its not like new games dont keep coming out (in fact it seems more than ever do) and im not getting any younger (like, its not funny any more, its just a fact) so I need to stop wasting time with crap.

Like, im looking at my 2000 or so unplayed games on steam (give or take), what am I realistically going to play from that? 200? 300? and thats being very generous

zkylon

zkylewd
undertale's ost is so good

tthis track sounds kind of like something out of persona 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz82xbLvK_k&index=87&list=PLpJl5XaLHtLX-pDk4kctGxtF4nq6BIyjg

edit: damn it stupid zkylon
hey now

no calling names :<

also yea, persona, katamari, i got a lot of great vibes from that ost

and that's my favorite song i think

any song that says friendship and hope is a song i love

The outdoors store?

Did they kick your dog or something.

...I worked there for about 4 years.
lol shut up i don't even know what that thing is

most of it, yeah

Dsyndrome

I need to get further than the opening ruins in that game, it seems. All I've seen is the spider bake sale and just picked up a knife that I'll probably never use.

zkylon

zkylewd
is it bad if my favorite thing about wolfenstein is the part where you play the original one

I need to get further than the opening ruins in that game, it seems. All I've seen is the spider bake sale and just picked up a knife that I'll probably never use.
yeah, keep going

it's a great game

Undertale really annoyed me early on with that trap floor and only one correct path that you had to find with trial and error. I made it to a little table with some cheese on it and haven't continued in like a week.

Sch1sm

Undertale really annoyed me early on with that trap floor and only one correct path that you had to find with trial and error. I made it to a little table with some cheese on it and haven't continued in like a week.

I nearly quit there, too.

Keep going.

zkylon

zkylewd
pls i'm known for my patience about all things

it's not trial and error, when you fall you see the pattern you need to follow

it's really easy lol

use your head!

Mr. Doop

That puzzle is super easy. When you fall, the areas that don't have flowers on them show where you can walk.

Teggy

Put about 30-40 minutes into assaulting an alien base in XCOM and the game crashed. Nice.

I've gotten kind of a new appreciation for TBS playing XCOM and Fire Emblem. Should I buy Disgaea when it comes out? My earlier experiences were with Advance Wars and I really hated the rock-paper-scissors mechanics. These games your stats actually matter and can improve and I like that.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
MegaSphere New update!

MegaSphere alpha (and demo) is updated with latest fixes and enhancements:

VaMeUJU.gif

• Enemies with higher difficulty will drop better loot
  • Shops will sell anything, not just weapons
  • Swarmers exclusively drop upgrade tokens
  • Updated visuals
  • Bug fixing and performance optimizations

Go check Shiva out (thats this update codename) and please tell me what you think!

vQmJa0l.gif

I'm hard at work on a brand new area, if you follow me on twitter you might have seen a new enemy type! Lots more work to come, thanks for your feedback and encouragement!

yNDL9zE.gif

If you have time please leave a review, enjoy Shiva!

Have you guys listened to the OST of Else Heart.Break()?

It's incredible. Very atmospheric and relaxing.
Bookmarked! It is very good :eek:
Oh goddamnit. So we had to enter it as the code and "fuck trivia giveaways"? Someone that enters now is going to be lucky as shit.

Should've remembered with Ozium's scorpion trivia or whatever it was.
Eh. I remember Dongs saying during sale that he'd post the answer for people to enter the raffle, if there wasn't a correct guess. With the new one I read through to see if he did go through with it but couldn't see. Still, cool raffle and have fun messi.

BHK3

Banned
How does the Humble Monthly Bundle work? If I subscribe will I get this months games and then I can cancel? I wanna get The Talos Principle for someone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How does the Humble Monthly Bundle work? If I subscribe will I get this months games and then I can cancel? I wanna get The Talos Principle for someone.

too late chump (real talk: if you were able to do that, no one would subscribe, they'd just buy the months they wanted after the games were announced. womp womp.)

Jawmuncher

You'll get Alien Isolation and next month's bundle if you subscribe now.
Still dunno why they don't let you get the current box but at a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom