• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

What does the process look like - people scan Steam wishlists of others, then make surprise gifts?

I think we should consider surprise gifts too, meaning not something on the wishlist, I know it may cause some problems as in people getting games they don't want or refuse to play, but we can think how to go about.

Uzzy

wait what? That makes no sense

Over on RPS, the question was posed to Harmonix about a possible PC port.

“So we’d love to bring Amplitude to a platform like PC, and in fact it’s something we considered. But at the end of the day, this is Sony’s IP and taking it to non-PlayStation platforms is just not in the cards right now. Going into this, we knew how the lack of a PC/Mac/Linux version might have an impact [on our Kickstarter]; we’re not blind to that fact, as I’ve seen some suggest. But we believe in the title, and think that the PlayStation consoles are a great fit for the game.”

“Without going into detail, it does extend beyond just them owning the name or IP. There are other moving parts that wouldn’t necessarily give us a clear path to doing a spiritual successor on other platforms without the Amplitude name.”

Makes me think that there's some core mechanic that's Sony IP. Which is very frustrating. I'd have happily thrown money Harmonix's way if the game was coming to PC, but at least they were upfront over it being a PS4 exclusive.

Endruen

We already have an issue with signal to noise ratio, case in point this page.
Let's try and clean it up for the new year, after all this thread is designed to serve a common interest, PC gaming. Anime interests only a minority of posters in this thread, so you are not identifying with the demographic and potentially alienating people who don't share that interest. At the very least, I think you can identify with that issue.

There are plenty of outlets on the internet for posts such as yours, I would even be willing to make an anime-focused community thread if you wish. I would obviously need assistance from you guys of course.

I honestly wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if you posted your gifs along with furthering the prevailing discussion, but as far as I can tell they solely exist to clog up the thread. Unless there is some other justification I'm not aware of.
Okay, okay, sorry, I'll behave... I'll reduce the amount of gifs and use them only if they're related...

Knurek

What does the process look like - people scan Steam wishlists of others, then make surprise gifts?

I'm thinking you declare you're in, choose the pool you want to be drawn into, than you get a random GAFfer from said pool assigned to you, then you scan his wishlist and make a gift purchase to fit your budget.
If said GAFfer is JaseC and has no games wishlisted in your chosen budget, you just contact him by a PM and work something out.

Do not question or underestimate the Grief.exe
Behind those shades are the determined eyes of a man who gives no fucks and gets shit done.

As much as he wants it, he won't get Steam-East and Steam-West threads.
Japanese games are part of Steam now and that attracts the anime audience. Yes the spam gets out of hand sometimes and that can be fixed, but in general an anime reaction gif is no different from a happy birthday post or michaljordanlaughing.gif.

His suggestion is ridiculous

Hektor

Makes me think that there's some core mechanic that's Sony IP. Which is very frustrating. I'd have happily thrown money Harmonix's way if the game was coming to PC, but at least they were upfront over it being a PS4 exclusive.

Kickstarting exclusive games for big companys like Sony really rubs me the wrong way.

Arthea

That's so very strange, that quote seems not to answer the question, tho
Sony IP that gets kickstarted? That actually shows Sony have no interest in funding it but it's OK if a game is being made, then why they dictate it can't be released on other platforms? Shouldn't it be no money, no conditions? Or they partly fund it? Very confusing.

Endruen

I'm thinking you declare you're in, choose the pool you want to be drawn into, than you get a random GAFfer from said pool assigned to you, then you scan his wishlist and make a gift purchase to fit your budget.
If said GAFfer is JaseC and has no games wishlisted in your chosen budget, you just contact him by a PM and work something out.

Doen't PM him defy the purpouse of being secret? I think the best approach is to scan their games and buy something that they may like according to that.
Or just be intelligent and know that if you participate you have to put some games in your wishlist...

That's so very strange, that quote seems not to answer the question, tho
Sony IP that gets kickstarted? That actually shows Sony have no interest in funding it but it's OK if a game is being made, then why they dictate it can't be released on other platforms? Shouldn't it be no money, no conditions? Or they partly fund it? Very confusing.

It's their IP, they're okay with it being used but only on their platform so they make money from it? Doesn't seem very strange to me

Arthea

look up my previous post, I think going by wishlist makes it rather boring or sometimes impossible if people don't update their wishlists, for example.
We probably can find a better solution, contacting a person and asking what to buy seems like a very bad idea, kills all surprise too, what is a sole purpose of secret santa, no?

It's their IP, they're okay with it being used but only on their platform? Doesn't seem very strange to me

If they go by crowdfunding way, it is strange, it works in a way that in order to be successful you have to offer what people want, not to make unreasonable conditions for a kickstarter. I'm very surprised it worked at all.

redlacs

apparently this bundle been live for a while now but i havent noticed any mention here or during the sale. short search found nothing too, so here goes

Otaku Bundle Greenlight #1 - $1

- Battlepixels
- Pertinence
- Forbidden Planet
- Story Of the Survivor
- Death Injection
- Infinity Wings - Scout & Grunt

"2 BUNDLES instead of 1 ( 12 keys Games ): $1.49
5 BUNDLES instead of 1 For ( 30 keys Games ) : $1.99
*You'll get Steam keys when these games release on Steam.
The bundles Greenlight contains key download for itch.io"

Grief.exe

As much as he wants it, he won't get Steam-East and Steam-West threads.
Japanese games are part of Steam now and that attracts the anime audience. Yes the spam gets out of hand sometimes and that can be fixed, but in general an anime reaction gif is no different from a happy birthday post or michaljordanlaughing.gif.

His suggestion is ridiculous

Maybe I was unclear, but your assertions are completely off base from my initial intentions. In fact, every time I bring up the issue, I'm very clear that it would be more palatable if they furthered the discussion rather than just clogging up the thread.

I honestly wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if you posted your gifs along with furthering the prevailing discussion

I'm perfectly fine with more anime fans joining in on the discussion, I don't intend on splitting the thread into two separate PC boards. My intention is to keep discussion focused as this is a thread based off of a common interest, anime will alienate a portion of the thread as the majority don't have interest in the topic.
I enjoy discussing politics and investment opportunities, I don't bring that in here as that wouldn't appeal to the majority of the demographic, and, thereby, unintentionally alienating people.

I merely offered to create an anime thread on GAF to give people an outlet to discuss their hobby if they so desire. I would obviously need significant help however.

If they go by crowdfunding way, it is strange, it works in a way that in order to be successful you have to offer what people want, not to make unreasonable conditions for a kickstarter. I'm very surprised it worked at all.

And people wanted Amplitude on PS4? What makes it any different from PC focussed kickstarters?

I'm perfectly fine with more anime fans joining in on the discussion, I don't intend on splitting the thread into two separate PC boards. My intention is to keep discussion focused as this is a thread based off of a common interest, anime will alienate a portion of the thread as the majority don't have interest in the topic.
I enjoy discussing politics and investment opportunities, I don't bring that in here as that wouldn't appeal to the majority of the demographic, and, thereby, unintentionally alienating people.

I merely offered to create an anime thread on GAF to give people an outlet to discuss their hobby if they so desire. I would obviously need significant help however.

No one is actually talking about anime though, and an anime community thread already exists. As I said, those posts are no different from happy birthday spam or any other off-topic discussion that happens in community threads, and sometimes gets out of hand.

Arthea

And people wanted Amplitude on PS4? What makes it any different from PC focussed kickstarters?

because it's PC? Everybody has one?

I see your point, but it still sounds very strange to me, I can't help it

Remember the Endless Day? It's back on 26th January :D

It's soon time to get those time exclusive achievements again
http://endless-day.com/

I don't think I can do it again, took way too long the last time
although I like the idea

nbraun80

Maybe I was unclear, but I never intended to convey any of this. In fact, every time I bring up the issue, I'm very clear that it would be more palatable if they furthered the discussion rather than just clogging up the thread.

yeah gonna have to agree with most of what you been saying, as someone who's new here, it's becoming less likely I check and keep up with this thread beings I don't feel I can scan it at work or around any other human being really.

Grief.exe

No one is actually talking about anime though

Scroll through the last 200 posts, what type of content do the majority of one-off posts contain?

and an anime community thread already exists.

Obviously, I'm completely ignorant here. I looked through the top page of community, searched the forum, and I see the all the posts here. So you can see how I came to the conclusion that there was no anime thread.

UGhQ4qV.png

As I said, those posts are no different from happy birthday spam or any other off-topic discussion that happens in community threads, and sometimes gets out of hand.

And I never argued the point, in fact I agree. We can clean up this thread if we remain diligent and make it a great place for everyone involved.

I'm not perfect either, so if you see something let me know.

Okay, okay, sorry, I'll behave... I'll reduce the amount of gifs and use them only if they're related...

e6ZCoNc.gif

Scroll through the last 200 posts, what type of content do the majority of one-off posts contain?

Obviously, I'm completely ignorant here. I looked through the top page of community, searched the forum, and I see the all the posts here. So you can see how I came to the conclusion that there was no anime thread.

And I never disagreed with your post. We can clean up this thread if we remain diligent and make it a great place for everyone involved.

I'm not perfect either, so if you see something let me know.

Off topic community obviously
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166273

And yes, they're one-off off-topic posts. They're not discussing their favourite anime. We can talk about the thread going off-topic in general, but singling out posters who post things related to anime is what I have a problem with.

A while ago there were a few pages full of 50 books/movies talk for 1-2 pages. Was that an issue as well?

Grief.exe

Off topic community obviously
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166273

And yes, they're one-off off-topic posts. They're not discussing their favourite anime. We can talk about the thread going off-topic in general, but singling out posters who post things related to anime is what I have a problem with.

I'm perfectly fine with calling out posts that don't have to do with anime, I've just noticed, and I think many other posters would agree with me, is that the problem generally stems from a flooding of anime gifs. That might be anecdotal evidence on my part, but that seems to be consistent over the last year.

I will say, it would be difficult to cast shade on somone's birthday. That might be jumping the shark a bit in order to clean up the thread, but it shouldn't be my decision.

A while ago there were a few pages full of 50 books/movies talk for 1-2 pages. Was that an issue as well?

Complete possibility that I missed that. Again, I never made the assertion that these type of posts aren't a problem either.

Arthea

I really don't wanna get into this discussion again, as it leads nowhere, I just wish we can tone down on off topic talk or pics at least some and enforce spoiler tagging of NSFW pics and quoting huge pics, as not quoting gifs but it seems that's not possible either.
So why am I posting it again?

anyway, I hope a few new people that joined will stay

XShagrath

We already have an issue with signal to noise ratio, case in point this page.
Let's try and clean it up for the new year, after all this thread is designed to serve a common interest, PC gaming.

oh come on now people, we go to gaming to get some new faces in here so that it isn't just a few people spamming anime gifs a few times an hour.

And then you fuckers scare them away before they become regulars smh

I said near the end of the sale thread that I'd try to be a little bit more active this year. However, the numerous off-topic tangents that go on for many posts at a time really turn me off. I come here to read up and discuss PC/Steam gaming stuff, not anime, movies, PS4/XBox games, etc.

One thing that kinda irks me about many community threads is how they all go off the rails when an event is happening, such as E3 press conferences and the like. There are threads specifically made for those discussions, so why not participate in those?

Parsnip

It always happens in bulk.
Someone posts some anime reaction gif, someone else posts fuck anime gif and the floodgates are open for a while.

Complete possibility that I missed that. Again, I never asserted that these type of posts aren't a problem either.

I think that's what the discussion should be about. Not about anime. I don't mind and actually appreciate the off topic discussion and silly gif every now and then, so that's where we disagree. If I want to discuss topics with laser focus I go to the gaming side.

We tried the Steam news thread, that didn't really work.
Because we are a community we don't like to participate in a thread where no one reads our posts (E3 threads), we like to be a part of the community here and post sometimes about off-topic community stuff that's just stuff to that happens.
Pretty much.

I really don't see a problem here, except that some people don't want to see anything anime-related. Most other off topic discussion is almost never criticized.
Why I posted that was mostly because goddamn there was a lot of unneccesary anime gifs in the last pages, much more than we usually have so I took it as people wanting to push new people away.
I hope no one actually did that intentionally.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I said near the end of the sale thread that I'd try to be a little bit more active this year. However, the numerous off-topic tangents that go on for many posts at a time really turn me off. I come here to read up and discuss PC/Steam gaming stuff, not anime, movies, PS4/XBox games, etc.

One thing that kinda irks me about many community threads is how they all go off the rails when an event is happening, such as E3 press conferences and the like. There are threads specifically made for those discussions, so why not participate in those?

Because we are a community we don't like to participate in a thread where no one reads our posts (E3 threads), we like to be a part of the community here and post sometimes about off-topic community stuff that's just stuff to that happens.
Also when it comes to events we talk about possibilities of PC ports of games shown on events and so forth.

Why I posted that was mostly because goddamn there was a lot of unneccesary anime gifs in the last pages, much more than we usually have so I took it as people wanting to push new people away.
or it's just pent up anime gifs since there were almost none in sales thread.

Chariot

How bout some rule regarding reaction gifs in general. Let's not allow them if the user is posting nothing but a reaction gif, but allow them - anime or not - when they are part of or followed up by something substantial.

Arthea

That's a lifetime of loathing ahead.

Dirty L.O.R.D cheater ;)

do you people believe we should pat cheaters on the head, or praise them?

It happened only once! Knurek, pls

How bout some rule regarding reaction gifs in general. Let's not allow them if the user is posting nothing but a reaction gif, but allow them - anime or not - when they are part of or followed up by something substantial.

we tried that, we can't enforce any rules and asking does nothing
the same is true for hb posts, food posts, personal posts, etc. It just doesn't work, because community *shrugs*

anyway I'm done with this talk

Sch1sm

Still better than what happens when someone admits to using SAM.

LORD, why would anyone do that?!

I'd probably use SAM if an achievement I should have earned just... didn't unlock. If I cared about that game enough. Am I like, one away from 100%?

---------

You know what we all should do? Play a game. I'm still playing Mini Metro. I'm absolutely terrible at it, especially now that I've hit the Cairo level and the trains only carry 4 people per and no additional carriages are allowed like the other cities. Not sure anyone's good at this game, though. First it's calming. Then a station is overcrowding and I feel like I'm about 5 seconds from running a marathon trying to alleviate the line with more trains.

*You should still buy it now because it only got a 10% discount this sale, anyway.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Sounds like an intelligent suggestion.
It would add to the discussion more than it does at the moment.

Chariot

we tried that, we can't enforce any rules and asking does nothing
the same is true for hb posts, food posts, personal posts, etc. It just doesn't work, because community *shrugs*

anyway I'm done with this talk
Let's start simple. I am ready to snitch Stump a PM with people who violate that until it's engraved in everyone's DNA, so their children and grandchildren have an inherent fear of posting single anime reaction gifs.

Sounds like an intelligent suggestion.
IT would add to the discussion more than it does at the moment.

Just to play devil's advocate here, creating substantive-only reaction gifs still doesn't change the fact that happy birthday posts or michaeljordanlaughing.gif has never once garnered this reaction:

yeah gonna have to agree with most of what you been saying, as someone who's new here, it's becoming less likely I check and keep up with this thread beings I don't feel I can scan it at work or around any other human being really.

...which, if I'm reading Grief's tone correctly, is the exact thing he's seeking to avoid by asking the anime gifs to whoa up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom