• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Final Fantasy VI PC port is even lazier than we ever could have imagined. So apparently, encrypted in the game's main.obb file is a copy of the GBA ROM which the game uses for things like enemy AI, tile placement, weapon stats, dialog, etc. It's like they literally put a "fresh coat of paint" straight on top of the GBA version of the game. Then added a bilinear filter to the characters and called it a day. Crazy.

The Final Fantasy VI PC port is even lazier than we ever could have imagined. So apparently, encrypted in the game's main.obb file is a copy of the GBA ROM which the game uses for things like enemy AI, tile placement, weapon stats, dialog, etc. It's like they literally put a "fresh coat of paint" straight on top of the GBA version of the game. Crazy.

that kinda makes sense given that the GBA version is the one with the most content.

still, holy shit. Just release the SNES version and call it a day, cmon now.

Does the PC version even have the CG intro from the PSX version?

Jawmuncher

The Final Fantasy VI PC port is even lazier than we ever could have imagined. So apparently, encrypted in the game's main.obb file is a copy of the GBA ROM which the game uses for things like enemy AI, tile placement, weapon stats, dialog, etc. It's like they literally put a "fresh coat of paint" straight on top of the GBA version of the game. Then added a bilinear filter to the characters and called it a day. Crazy.

Nice Buy 1 get 1 free

And they still charged $16 for it, lol.

Why even have Western branches that constantly release PC games if you won't learn from them?

Also doing a speedrun of Resident Evil Remastered, and made it to the residence in about 30 minutes.

It? Kill a person? Has hyperbole gone too far? I'd rather have anime out the kazoo than sarcastic calls for death. :/

And yeah, same issue with me when trying to install Wilson Chronicles. Also the store page says it was released on Dec. 20 last year!

Know Your Meme

gackt_vanillak7ou9.gif

I still don't know what I'm looking at.

And that's ok.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
that kinda makes sense given that the GBA version is the one with the most content.

still, holy shit. Just release the SNES version and call it a day, cmon now.

Does the PC version even have the CG intro from the PSX version?

Nope.

Nice Buy 1 get 1 free

using the available tools you can now literally extract this rom file and play it in an emulator. Obviously, not everything in the game is controlled directly from the rom, but enough that it helps move modding forward quite a bit since the GBA rom's been around for quite a while and people know how to hack it.

Arthea

isn't that wonderful? people wanted GBA version, and we got it! Nothing more to complain about

I had to

Vamphuntr

All is well that ends well. People wanted a good version of the game and they got it for free!
(just replace the musics I guess)

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Costume Quest -- MB-37A2CEAE349A02E6 - Taken by QFNS
Psychonauts -- MB-F2D3E854CBB0856F - Taken by bloke

strafer

Speaking of remakes; while looking for stuff on the internet, like you do when you're bored I came across this.

http://trespassingpetrolia.com/

Even though the game was critically panned and a broken piece of shit I still enjoyed it.

I was young, it was dinosaurs and you could see the players boobs.

And I remember not having the computer to run the game properly.

Oh the memories.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of remakes; while looking for stuff on the internet, like you do when you're bored I came across this.

http://trespassingpetrolia.com/

Even though the game was critically panned and a broken piece of shit I still enjoyed it.

I was young, it was dinosaurs and you could see the players boobs.

And I remember not having the computer to run the game properly.

Oh the memories.

The game actually still has quite the fanbase to it. Despite it being a mess, you can really see that had it had enough time. It would have been a classic.

Anteater

i'm willing to give crt filters a try

they just look off to me now because i really don't remember what games were suppose to look like on a crt

and i'm not going to buy a clunky crt

like I remember psx games look sharp and they don't look pixelated

strafer

The game actually still has quite the fanbase to it. Despite it being a mess, you can really see that had it had enough time. It would have been a classic.

Well it had a troubling development;
The game had a development period of more than three years. Money was the biggest hurdle in the development of Trespasser and the game went severely over-budget several times throughout its development. Second only to money was time, as the game had to be ready to meet the release of the The Lost World: Jurassic Park film; originally, the game was to be released in the fall of 1997. However, due to a number of problems and how advanced the game was becoming the project was delayed by a year. The rush to release the game caused many features to be either cut, or left unfinished and unpolished

If only the game had been made with such care as Alien: Isolation.

It's kinda the game I'm dreaming about, being stranded on an island.

Dr Dogg

So how would folks prefer Squenix brought over their older FF titles? Rewrite them from scratch? Without really knowing the production budget for not only the PC releases but the mobile versions they've derived from I feel it's a bit disrespectful to call any effort lazy. Low effort sure but from looking at what both IV and VI do a bit intimately and a little bit more of V they all are running on their own framework and not a license or royalty free emulator made by someone else. Now while there are hints to what framework was used to package them (certain dlls and such) who knows how much effort this was to create for each game and costs involved. End of the day would more effort really make the experience that much better for you? There's obviously a middleground somewhere and sure we all have an idea what we expect for our purchase but either side outright bashing the other doesn't do anyone any favours.

fallout

Ugh. That's so sad. I don't know why we can't get something like Chrono Trigger DS.

So how would folks prefer Squenix brought over their older FF titles? Rewrite them from scratch? Without really knowing the production budget for not only the PC releases but the mobile versions they've derived from I feel it's a bit disrespectful to call any effort lazy. Low effort sure but from looking at what both IV and VI do a bit intimately and a little bit more of V they all are running on their own framework and not a license or royalty free emulator made by someone else. Now while there are hints to what framework was used to package them (certain dlls and such) who knows how much effort this was to create for each game and costs involved. End of the day would more effort really make the experience that much better for you? There's obviously a middleground somewhere and sure we all have an idea what we expect for our purchase but either side outright bashing the other doesn't do anyone any favours.

the middle ground was the PSP FFIV remake. If they had stuck to that, i think everyone would be fine with it and there wouldn't be this toxic thing where we're getting something akin to the Special Editions of the Star Wars original trilogy

It's got just a wee bit of the smoothing that V and VI has but overall, it's a pretty faithful remake of FFIV.

this:

looks so much better than this

Dr Dogg

Somewhere the Guillemot brothers are rubbing there hands with glee. Not only do they has AssCreed but they could now snag up the poster child to kickstart their digital storefront.

the middle ground was the PSP FFIV remake. If they had stuck to that, i think everyone would be fine with it and there wouldn't be this toxic thing where we're getting something akin to the Special Editions of the Star Wars original trilogy

It's got just a wee bit of the smoothing that V and VI has but overall, it's a pretty faithful remake of FFIV.

this:

looks so much better than this

Well that's more what you'd want than what Squenix are prepared to offer and a middle ground would be somewhere in between that and what we currently have (in theory). I mean sure I'd have preferred IV Complete Collection over the DS versions (even if they're better as a challenge to play than the other versions of IV) but I seriously doubt something on the scale of that effort will ever happen with a PC release. For example how much did the PSP version cost to produce? Obviously a whole lot more than any of the classic ports but would it be in the range that Squenix would get a profitable return on investment? Who knows but when IV TAY, V and VI are currently sitting at 10k, 16k and 18k respectively on Steamspy then at most has only pulled in £140k for VI which to me looks alright if you're just porting a previous title but not really enough to start something from scratch and hope long legs will push you to profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom