• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trade offer sent, game looks to be a little gem.

You'll have to send another one as you selected the same coupon as someone else whose trade I'd earlier confirmed, which automatically cancels your trade since the particular coupon is no longer available.

Ryne

If the Canadian Dollar continues to drop off as predicted, do you think Canadians would be put into our own tier like the Russians in regards to the Steam Store?

I'm reading that our dollar can drop to 58c American by the end of the year.

MUnited83

For you.
PC Gamer really seem to like DDDA

http://www.pcgamer.com/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-review/

Hope so man, hope so. Glad to hear you've got some positive impressions at least.

If they keep up the quality of the alpha throughout the other locations, the game will be better than Blood Money, for me at least.
If I was to tell you that, theoretically, what I played was pretty damn great, I would... Theoretically, be breaking an NDA.

Let me instead point it out like this: If they weren't confident, wouldn't they much rather get the full $60 up-front and then deliver a sub-par experience? The fact that it's proper episodic with a much smaller up-front cost definitely points towards confidence.

Confidence that, theoretically would be well-deserved.

... Theoretically.
oh yes, I forgot to say: theoretically of course

Didn't have the courage to put my dog down and now the vet bill is higher than my monthly income, income that I only started to have a couple of months ago because I was unemployed.
Go me.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ed Boon (Mortal Kombat creator) is a master troll, so I don't believe shit that comes from his twitter account. He tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/noobde/status/687687161945051136

"So much more GOOD news on the horizon for the Mortal Kombat X GAME beyond Kombat Pack 2. Stay tuned, and PEACE OUT! "

For those not in the know, Good Game Peace Out is the greatest fighting game netcode out there. If MKX does upgrade to it, I'll go ahead and buy the stupid game. Of course they'll find a reason to skip PC, so fuck it all.

It's either that or the soundtrack will be done by Kanye West.

Either way I'm up in them guts.

No need to hold it in, show your true feelings Se7en!

O48tbTd.png
There is no need to go that far yet :p

Jawmuncher

Impressions/Review
After having some trouble earlier today, I ended up getting better and beating it. I think I just had some trouble with the timing. But once I made a system of saying the symbols to myself I was able to get through most songs easily. So the game has 6 songs with each song having 3 stages. The stages are made up of how much of the song you will play. So Stage 1 is part of the song, Stage 2 is half of the song, and Stage 3 is all of the song. I find stage 1 song's to be the hardest since, if you mess up early on you're done. While the longer the song goes the easier it is, since more mistakes can be made. It would take someone about 90 minutes to 2 hours to complete 5 songs (All Levels) and level 1 of song 6, not worrying about ranks. This is all that's needed to beat the game. I'm not quite sure how to unlock the other two levels of the bonus 6th song. The game itself is played much like other rhythm games. However here there are two boxes at the top of the screen. You continue to press the prompts in the left box until flashing arrows tell you to move onto the next box on the right. While the song is going the boxes can switch multiple times depending on the song. While pressing the button you have a Green bar and a red bar at the very top. The green bar is your score, while the red bar is the par score you need to beat. You want to keep your green bar past the red bar at all times. If the red bar gets to the end of the screen before your green bar you fail the song. While if the green bar stays ahead of the red bar even when it reaches the end you continue the song. If you're doing really well you can get your green bar past the max changing it into a purple bar. The purple bar is basically a bonus starting part. So lets say you get your bar to half way purple, on the next set (Once the red reaches the end) you will start with half a green bar, rather than nothing. Purple bars are very important for getting higher ranks. Now that the gameplay itself is out of the way, the state of the port for it's price (especially on sale) is fine. It's nothing midblowing, but it's a nice simple emulator set. Starting the game lets you set some options such as the controller you want to use, the video size, Window or Fullscreen, and the sound settings. Since it's a PS1 game with no 3D models stretching it larger doesn't really help. Keeping it at 720P is the largest I would put it while keeping it in window mode. Overall the game was quite fun, once I overcame the beginners difficulty curb. Was a nice little break, and on sale it's only a dollar. So if you just want something different to mess around it this might be for you. Especially if you like Rhythm Games. Also the game only has 5 achievements which will all be earned by completing the game.

NOTE: Since the game is emulated, The button prompts will not change. However there is support for Playstation (USB) and PS3 controllers, though I was unable to test.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oqlFYApbA

Thanks to Bayo for the gift.

KingKong

It's insane how difficult IO Interactive is making it for themselves. Literally all they have to do is make some Blood Money style levels using the Absolution engine

pahamrick

Ed Boon (Mortal Kombat creator) is a master troll, so I don't believe shit that comes from his twitter account. He tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/noobde/status/687687161945051136

"So much more GOOD news on the horizon for the Mortal Kombat X GAME beyond Kombat Pack 2. Stay tuned, and PEACE OUT! "

For those not in the know, Good Game Peace Out is the greatest fighting game netcode out there. If MKX does upgrade to it, I'll go ahead and buy the stupid game. Of course they'll find a reason to skip PC, so fuck it all.

Still waiting for them to fix the single player video issue. The actual video files are fine when played outside the game, but they're way too dark when played in game.

Hektor

Someone make a thread about all these Dragon's Dogma PC reviews and impressions please.

Why? Everbody knows that those outlets only give these shitty JPRG ports good reviews because they wanna have a reason to continue portbegging for Bloodborne, the only true game.

If it weren't for those outlets giving those shitty ass late ports good reviews they would bomb hard, as it's completely unnatural to play JPRG's on Desk, hunched over a keyboard. And if they bomb hard - i already said it - no bloodborne.

But if you still need people to say ou the truth, sure, go ahead and make a thread.

This is a really charming game, in which you capture and breed slimes of different types, collecting their poo to sell on the interplanetary market. It is also surprisingly polished for a game so early in development. I ran into two bugs while playing it (captured slimes despawning in purchasable farm land, and a crash when I tried setting a super high resolution), but that was about it. Not a single crash or other misbehavior while actually playing it. It also works really well with the Steam Controller, despite lack of official support, and I would recommend playing it with one such if you have a SC.

The only reason why I wouldn't suggest purchasing it right now is that there is absolutely no end-game contents. You can currently unlock a couple of extra farm areas, and you can unlock one other biome, but that's it. And it is really easy to set yourself up with a steady stream of money, simply by breeding a couple of slimes to make feeding them easier (by feeding them poo from a different species. Yes, really), at which point you'll have tons of money, but nothing to use it for, and no reason to maintain populations of other types of slimes, since ultimately the only thing you can get out of slimes is money.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, and will buy the EA version once more contents has been added.

Youtuber 'SplatterCat' also did a Let's Play of the same alpha that I've tried, which showcases the game pretty well.

Why? Everbody knows that those outlets only give these shitty JPRG ports good reviews because they wanna have a reason to continue portbegging for Bloodborne, the only true game.

If it weren't for those outlets giving those shitty ass late ports good reviews they would bomb hard, as it's completely unnatural to play JPRG's on Desk, hunched over a keyboard. And if they bomb hard - i already said it - no bloodborne.

But if you still need people to say ou the truth, sure, go ahead and make a thread.

lol it is hard to tell who trolls and who doesnt on the internet

besada

Banned
Doesn't help that several moderators have an irrational hatred and / or fear of PC gaming :p

Which ones would those be? I ask only because the vast majority of us are PC gamers. I think only four or five of us own PS4s, and only three of us own XB1s. And it's largely PC versions we talk about in the mod forum, so I'm curious which mods have an irrational hatred for PC?

Eila

If the Canadian Dollar continues to drop off as predicted, do you think Canadians would be put into our own tier like the Russians in regards to the Steam Store?

Everything is dropping compared to USD. So far the "preset" prices I believe Valve gives to devs don't appear to have changed, but if this goes on it could, I guess. Some devs do change the preset price, mostly for AAA games.

ViviOggi

I'd buy it too and immediately regret it because of the garbage NetherRealm combat like I did with all their other games

ViviOggi

Yeah I haven't seen a single hint of mods being biased towards consoles in actual posts, iirc even EviLore is pretty big on PC gaming. Sure you find questionable bans *cough* Experte *cough* here and there while vihugi is still alive and kicking, or a PC thread getting locked while a console-focused thread with the exact same discussion stays open, but I'm sure you can find examples the other way around too.

Jawmuncher

Get this instead.

Which ones would those be? I ask only because the vast majority of us are PC gamers. I think only four or five of us own PS4s, and only three of us own XB1s. And it's largely PC versions we talk about in the mod forum, so I'm curious which mods have an irrational hatred for PC?

Does Kagari play on PC? I remember she got kind of annoyed when people discussed the possibility of KH3 for PC.
I might be misremebering. Though I wouldn't call that irrational hatred.

The reason the pricing on the Russian store is so low is primarily because of piracy, not necessarily the low value of the Ruble vs the US dollar. If legitimate purchases were to steeply decline and piracy were to dramatically increase and persist for years, then sure, maybe something similar would be done for the Canadian market. Short term, nothing is going to happen except games will cost more, and gamers will buy less outside of sales.

I didn't even bother with the last sale and haven't purchased anything for months. I might've bought Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen if it was 20$ cheaper.

Soulflarz

Banned
It seems pretty nice, my Razer Blackwidow has been going strong for almost 4 years now. For that amount of money though you could get any number of mechanical keyboards, not sure if the RGB lighting is really worth it or if the Razer made mechanical switches are any good.

I hear the switches are nice

and no, i mean it'll be half off in a bit, $90 after tax

shervinrs

Neo Member
It should include Race 07.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (shervinrs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GTR Evolution -- MB-10BBD2B8475E38E3 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

t1452806206z1.png

besada

Banned
Does Kagari play on PC? I remember she got kind of annoyed when people discussed the possibility of KH3 for PC.
I might be misremebering. Though I wouldn't call that irrational hatred.

I don't know Kagari well enough to say, but that sounds like fairly typical frustration with port begging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom