• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endruen

Yeah, the setting and the combat are the reasons I'm considering it. And some of the fights I'm watching look pretty fun.
Eh, I'll probably buy it just to support this genre and the porting to PC.
I have it for PS3. Even though I haven't played yet, I played the demo and it's something between Monster Hunter + Shadow of the Colossus but with fantastic medieval creatures instead. It's pretty good and the combat is very dinamic.
Also, you don't have to worry about anything Japanese, it's like Dark Souls, Japanese but feels western.

GaussTek

Ohhh, she looks good... <3

CX9x9YTUQAAQJau.jpg
CX9x9ghUQAAjwc7.jpg

Zeknurn

So guys- Vive or Rift? Not that either are officially out.

Vive seems to be more compelling feature-wise. Like the room scale tracking, the camera for passthrough and the highly accurate motion controllers being bundled with the headset.
The Rift will have to come in considerably lower in price for it to sway my choice.

Tizoc

I still don't understand the Kojima praise; I'll commend him for MGS1-3 and ZoE 2, but people need to be reminded of the 'ripping off' in Snatcher and Policenauts :p

neoemonk

Thanks.
I should totally throw Brodzilla over to Greenlight, just on the off chance it gets on Steam allowing me to see with my own eyes how it works from the pub/dev standpoint.

I spent some time reading about Greenlight recently and it's amazing to me that anything even gets approved. It seems like you get the most visibility right after launching it and if you don't get the magical number of votes it's very hard to drum up support.

I've also been reading some stuff from the Spiderweb Software dev and I'm now amazed video games get made at all. It just seems like such a huge risk.

Eila

I spent some time reading about Greenlight recently and it's amazing to me that anything even gets approved. It seems like you get the most visibility right after launching it and if you don't get the magical number of votes it's very hard to drum up support.

I've also been reading some stuff from the Spiderweb Software dev and I'm now amazed video games get made at all. It just seems like such a huge risk.

If it's a commercial product I'd consider putting it on a greenlight bundle. Not sure how you get around doing that, though.
If it was a free product hmm probably roll it around here and promise to give +1 DLC or something.

jdw_b

I still don't understand the Kojima praise; I'll commend him for MGS1-3 and ZoE 2, but people need to be reminded of the 'ripping off' in Snatcher and Policenauts :p

I sort-of understand the praise, but what I don't get is the people who act as if he is the only person who ever lost a job and got shitty treatment.

I lost a job once, it was awful. Yet when I search my own name for GAF threads they never appear

Ban Puncher

I appreciate Kojima's work on Tokimeki Memorial.

I sort-of understand the praise, but what I don't get is the people who act as if he is the only person who ever lost a job and got shitty treatment.

I lost a job once, it was awful. Yet when I search my own name for GAF threads they never appear

You never invented Transfarring, son.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
VR is the next big thing, drawing game tablet wasn't. Unless you're saying VR is a bubble?

But VR has been "the next big thing" for the last 25 years. It's hard for me to imagine that statement actually being true.

Especially after watching that travesty on stage at the Playstation event.

yuraya

Did you produce, write, design and direct 5 big budget AAA video games in the past 20 years that all are over 90 metacritic?

Didn't think so...

Benedict

Just got a newsletter update regarding Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January.
The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta.
It covers the game's introductory sequence (some of which you may have already seen a portion of in the alpha) as well as most of the first major location of the game, Sagus Cliffs.

Knurek

But VR has been "the next big thing" for the last 25 years. It's hard for me to imagine that statement actually being true.

Yeah, I don't buy in the hype. I was alive when lots of companies hyped playing Doom on VR goggles. Nothing ever came out of it, except for some migraine and a few bankruptcies.

VIVE is an official Valve product, isn't it? They have to be footing at least some of the production costs for it... Hence why I'm skittish about it.

jdw_b

Did you produce, write, design and direct 5 big budget AAA video games in the past 20 years that all are over 90 metacritic?

Didn't think so...

So he was good at his job

So are a lot of people

edit: probably coming off a bit 2edgy. Suppose it's just annoying going into a Kojima related thread and reading page after page of "Fuck Konami"...I'll just stop entering those threads

3D movie is like that, until the technology matured, and Avatar was the killer app. (Whether people think it's a waste of money is not important, 3D is here to stay.)

What happened at the Playstation event?

Pachimari

I'm not ready for this VR invasion by April. I might wait and see how the scene develops, and decide on one next year. I were burned with 3D and the HMZ-T1; it was uncomfortable and too few games supported 3D on PlayStation formats, though the movie experiences were amazing for the few minutes I could manage to wear it. Thankfully the VR headsets should be more comfortable.

Lomax

Zen and Pinball Arcade always give me pause. I don't know what platform to get them on. I've tried on Vita and other Sony platforms and liked it. I'm guessing I should bite the bullet on PC as then I could play the same copy on my desktop, Surface, or Nvidia Shield Portable. That's the best of all worlds there.

If you have a surface then yeah, pc would be ideal. They are perfect as tablet games but it's nice being able to play them on desktop too. My biggest problem with them right now is they are treating the amazon version like it barely even exists, so if you buy it on mobile be sure to get the Google play version.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
3D movie is like that, until the technology matured, and Avatar was the killer app. (Whether people think it's a waste of money is not important, 3D is here to stay.)

What happened at the Playstation event?

True. I have a passive 3D TV and it's great, but at least where I live it's far from being mainstream. Our local theater just got a 3D screen about 6 months ago, and nobody ever wants to go. I was able to get tickets to Star Wars in 3D like 2 weeks before it came out, when every other theater for 100 miles was sold out, just because most people didn't want to see it in 3D. So I guess I'm not so optimistic about 3D being here to stay.

As for the Playstation event, get ready to cringe.

rtcn63

For me, it's either buy a 970 and free up some USB ports or build an entirely new box. The former I can afford, but I don't like fucking around inside my tower unless I need to (I have a history of bad luck). A 670 should be fine for like watching movies right? VR games I'm guessing are still in their infancy, so I can wait until steady income is a thing again.

Tizoc

That's not a good example :p
A better one would be I dunno the writer for Suikoden or how Kojima's situation with Konami was brought up during an event where Westwood, a company that was killed off by EA was honored :p

neoemonk

For me, it's either buy a 970 and free up some USB ports or build an entirely new box. The former I can afford, but I don't like fucking around inside my tower unless I need to (I have a history of bad luck). A 670 should be fine for like watching movies right? VR games I'm guessing are still in their infancy, so I can wait until steady income is a thing again.

I have a 670 and don't feel compelled to upgrade at this point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll hop on VR eventually, but also see how it plays out.

Horror will likely be big on it, but so much else to buy recently.

Being a horror ethusiast sometimes is hard.

Hi Steam-gaf I'm a newbie venturing over from the steam sale thread hoping to join the ranks. A little info about me, been a pc gamer for about 3 years now, have a little over 400 games in my library, play about every genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom