• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
ugly, boring, it's no good

use the word u like best for i don't wanna look at it cos i think it looks dumb

?

are you saying it looks good then?

I think it is pretty. I also think the map is generic looking and the character designs aren't particularly special at a high level.

If I thought all generic looking things were ugly, I'd have to gouge my eyes out.

Deitus

Point stands.

Well on the subject of artstyle, I think it looks completely generic as well. Maybe some of the characters they haven't shown much of look better, but the parts of the game they have shown did not look interesting to me.

But sure, they have a high poly count on that character's face, and a lot of detail in her hair.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it is pretty. I also think the map is generic looking and the character designs aren't particularly special at a high level.

If I thought all generic looking things were ugly, I'd have to gouge my eyes out.
well aren't you dramatic :p

a lot of things are ugly, but i'm fine with my eyes where they are :>

Dsyndrome

It's too generic looking.

Actually I'd go so far as to say it is downright ugly a lot of the time.
Shut up, they're masterworks, all of them.

I was gonna say I was surprised y'all didn't recognize the RLC drugs commercial, but remembered that many of you aren't from NA and weren't watching 90's TV commercials.

This is what your family goes through... SMASH

Jawmuncher

Shut up, they're masterworks, all of them.

I was gonna say I was surprised y'all didn't recognize the RLC drugs commercial, but remembered that many of you aren't from NA and weren't watching 90's TV commercials.

This is what your family goes through... SMASH

AND YOUR FRIENDS, AND YOUR MONEY!

Dr.Acula

Banned
Rachel Leigh Cook was so 90s hot in that, I totally would have hung out with her and did drugs!

Remember the 90s? Tight shirts and baggy pants!

Uzzy

You know what's not generic looking?

9CEaTzg.png

Oxenfree's really good folks.

Durante

For a bit of perspective let's talk about average wage in Austria (€2124 in 2015) and Poland (€705).

Yes, cost of living might be slightly lower here, but definitely not 3x as low (bar of chocolate costs €.80 here, beer at pub €3). And groups of imported products, including electronic stuff, are even more expensive here (23% VAT here instead of 20%).
So something that may be slightly pricey for you, would require taking mortage for me.
Titan, G-Sync, VR, all of those.
Please understand
The thing is, I can't afford a Titan, just like I certainly can't afford a Ferrari. I probably wouldn't have bought a Rift at its current € price either (thanks for the generosity Oculus!). I just think it's not necessary to get all bent out of shape over their prices, especially since -- and that's the wonderful thing about computer technology -- just because it's out of reach now doesn't mean that we won't be able to afford something better in 5 (or at most 10) years. Car fanatics, or even people heavily into mountain biking or whatever, generally aren't so lucky.

(Also, your average wage numbers for Austria seemed kind of high, it's actually 1612€ per month after taxes in 2014, which are the most recent official numbers I found)

A while ago I bought a large number of The Castle Doctrine keys from Jason Rohrer with the intention of attempting to revive the player base. I haven't succeeded in that yet, but here's 5 keys for the fine folks here. It's an awesome game, so please play it (and try to rob my house) if you win.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thisisalan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Castle Doctrine -- MB-ADA54A9080A917B4 - Taken by Shalashaska. 4 entrants total.
The Castle Doctrine #4 -- MB-465643CB5F332840 - Taken by longlivegaming. 3 entrants total.
The Castle Doctrine #5 -- MB-85D931C942998346 - Taken by Ozium. 2 entrants total.
The Castle Doctrine #2 -- MB-9C82026A97BF965D - Taken by Stronghammer22. 7 entrants total.
The Castle Doctrine #3 -- MB-ABE8A0D847B73017 - Taken by Kagemusha. 2 entrants total.

t1453010994z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
shut up and go play dragon's dogma zkylon

spiders + expensive + too long and xcom is around the corner

i'll most def buy it later, too bad about nuuvem being brazil only

It's too generic looking.

Actually I'd go so far as to say it is downright ugly a lot of the time.
ugly and generic haven't stopped me before

i love mount & blade and that game's super ugly, tho it's in the so bad is good camp so i guess it's kinda charming at least

You know what's not generic looking?

Oxenfree's really good folks.

it's expensive tho :<

maybe if it's on nuuvem

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Nickervision said:
Hey all, I don't have an account here yet (working on it) but I'm releasing a new game on Steam next Friday and my friend (and conduit) here suggested I give out some free keys to you all.

The game is called Bit Blaster XL and it's a retro-ish arcade game about shooting enemies and grabbing powerups. It's a simple to control little game inspired by some of my favorites (Luftrausers, Asteroids, Geometry Wars). I really hope some of you get a chance to enjoy it once it releases, and by all means, let me know what you think, either on Steam or through my website http://www.nickervisionstudios.com

-Adam Nickerson (just a guy making simple little games in his free time)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 25 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bit Blaster XL #18 -- MB-48918EF52C41CC57 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #19 -- MB-4898DD1D807BBA28 - Taken by Lain. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #14 -- MB-F0F1B461F36E7464 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 3 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #15 -- MB-E0F46169B8D29CC6 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #16 -- MB-6E6816F746A30D97 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #17 -- MB-3E56728D00B0D609 - Taken by Knurek. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #10 -- MB-0EE20A76D663C866 - Taken by iosefe. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #11 -- MB-70DCB715FD00F71E - Taken by bigzgod. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #12 -- MB-C008BE570AA2A00D - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #13 -- MB-B4AD46A037516614 - Taken by rtcn63. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL -- MB-53E5DC885D7E774E - Taken by Blu(e). 3 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #21 -- MB-5AA0BCCEC2CC587F - Taken by SSPssp. 3 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #20 -- MB-04DEED9D43ED00BB - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #23 -- MB-00D3105344D116B1 - Taken by Kagemusha. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #22 -- MB-B97101AFDEB2DCB9 - Taken by Community Forum. 6 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #25 -- MB-C607D6883D4A72F4 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 3 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #24 -- MB-7703682C44E5A59B - Taken by Servizio. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #8 -- MB-914052468786E8EA - Taken by Stronghammer22. 3 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #9 -- MB-3C1D14A3A20DCA2C - Taken by GaussTek. 2 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #2 -- MB-81BECC5126CBA72A - Taken by NingenJanai. 3 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #3 -- MB-7E4C7FECA23C7936 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #6 -- MB-E242FBF0E7A620F7 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #7 -- MB-04226AE0C84C6B8F - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #4 -- MB-5D8B7FDECB563D3C - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Bit Blaster XL #5 -- MB-1F75C3190D71499E - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.

t1453012374z1.png

A while ago I bought a large number of The Castle Doctrine keys from Jason Rohrer with the intention of attempting to revive the player base. I haven't succeeded in that yet, but here's 5 keys for the fine folks here. It's an awesome game, so please play it (and try to rob my house) if you win.

The reviews about how dead it is are pretty harsh.

Hey all, I don't have an account here yet (working on it) but I'm releasing a new game on Steam next Friday and my friend (and conduit) here suggested I give out some free keys to you all.

The game is called Bit Blaster XL and it's a retro-ish arcade game about shooting enemies and grabbing powerups. It's a simple to control little game inspired by some of my favorites (Luftrausers, Asteroids, Geometry Wars). I really hope some of you get a chance to enjoy it once it releases, and by all means, let me know what you think, either on Steam or through my website http://www.nickervisionstudios.com

-Adam Nickerson (just a guy making simple little games in his free time)

Multi-game raffle with no free for all! Game theory ahoy!

Yeah, I return to it every once in a while and it's definitely died off. Jason made a big deal out of never putting the game on sale, which I think has made it near-impossible to see a resurgence in the community (although I've tried by giving keys away).

The advantage of fewer active players is that you don't need to constantly check your house, but that level of stress was also a big factor in what the game was going for.

The advantage of fewer active players is that you don't need to constantly check your house, but that level of stress was also a big factor in what the game was going for.

And the disadvantage is those few active players will be primarily more experienced and will screw over the newbies at the first opportunity.

Soulflarz

Banned
How do you guys survive going back to college
I did a semester
got a 3.81, so it's not like grades are fml
but...

urge to not go back is so strong
I hate school neverendingly, aaaaa :<

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I did a semester
but...

I felt the same way in college. I straight up hated my last semester. I prefer work as an adult much more.. Strangely.

I did a semester
but...

I wasted a few years in college because of distractions. It helps to study something that you're actually interested in. In the end I settled for getting into IT.

Soulflarz

Banned
I wasted a few years in college because of distractions. It helps to study something that you're actually interested in. In the end I settled for getting into IT.

I'm at UIUC
A top 5 compsci school

That's probably not happening

The intro CS class is full still from the first moment I was able to register. Annoying as hell.

(Also I can't play JRPGs as much in college, which clearly takes priority)

Dsyndrome

Multi-game raffle with no free for all! Game theory ahoy!

Don't go for the last two, they'll be the highest ones.
I did a semester
but...

You have a 3.81 and you're complaining? WTF is wrong with you? Are you applying for Med School?

Tizoc

You know if bloodborne were to release on steam this year i bet it would be voted for goty 2016 even by gaffers who do not game on pc :v

zkylon

zkylewd
I did a semester
but...

im going back to work on monday

i'm so sad

You know if bloodborne were to release on steam this year i bet it would be voted for goty 2016 even by gaffers who do not game on pc :v
i don't think so?

zkylon

zkylewd
You havent been i the neogaf goty 2015 voting thread have you?
One guy made an actual essay on why bloodborne is their #1 goty

yea but that's one guy

i mean, it could be voted as goty, like no idea, but i don't think it's as clear cut as you put it, that's all i'm sayin

Soulflarz

Banned
You have a 3.81 and you're complaining? WTF is wrong with you? Are you applying for Med School?

Because screw my school a 3.81 doesn't guarantee you compsci major acceptance.

Also: complaining about attending college.
If you put enough effort into something you'll get results. You can hate it the entire way through.
I beat Time and Eternity, it doesn't make T&E any better.

Wolves hunt in packs

I like how we all went from insulting this nonsense to it being an endearing character trait of the game :')

Tizoc

What does hdr option in dragons dogma do?
With it off i managed to get 60 fps more often when playing on my lappy.

Grief.exe

What does hdr option in dragons dogma do?
With it off i managed to get 60 fps more often when playing on my lappy.

Wbacon explains it. He thought about renaming the settings from Low/High to Normal/Absurd.

The High setting just jacks everything up to 11 for fun, not recommended to play like that. Honestly I think they should just hide that in an ini file as people are going to naturally turn that to high.

Dsyndrome

Because screw my school a 3.81 doesn't guarantee you compsci major acceptance.

F that nonsense. I got a CPEG degree with a 3.12, would've ended up at the same place if I got a 3.6
military, didn't touch computers and just did nuclear power.

I do have a different attitude now in Grad School for EE, have a 3.83, and even though the school's a pump (some dumb MF'ing officers in the miltary), I'm pretty proud of it. Probably coincides with the shift in attitude from my late 20's.

For Steam, only mods I have for DDDA are Into Free and PSX buttons. Graphics look fine for me at 1080P.

Teggy

I don't know how I always do this in games but I completely missed what I was supposed to do after the pawn training in DDDA because there was no marker on the map or anything in the quest log. I wound up exploring way up the map and found some hidden dungeon and killed some ginormous cyclops boss and wondered why I couldn't get any further. Well it's because it was for some quest I wasn't even able to get yet. So I had to trek my butt all the way back to where I was supposed to be. Some guy got a really nice sword for his pawn though.

So I'm sorry, I'm that guy they have to put all that handholding into games for.

drakaenae

ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (drakaenae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

ROBIN HOOD -- MB-8B956B9F3BF5F9D7 - Taken by OmarYusaf
ROBIN HOOD #2 -- MB-8D352C08AE3B7C40 - Taken by TheMadMan007
EGYPT THE PROPHECY -- MB-AFFC582D0B8C3483 - Taken by shervinrs
EGYPT THE PROPHECY #2 -- MB-3AB02C3468FE6B62 - Taken by Baron_Calamity

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
F that nonsense. I got a CPEG degree with a 3.12, would've ended up at the same place if I got a 3.6
military, didn't touch computers and just did nuclear power.

The thing is that a school that requires a 3.81 to get into or graduate with a major probably has a more lenient grade curve to compensate. For example, my Comp Sci degree was at a school where a 3.2 was considered honours, the cutoff from a B to an A was 80 (there was no A-), and very few students per class got A grades. The school I'm at now, an A is considered a 93 and they basically give them out to anyone who shows up at the undergraduate level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom