• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

My redhead has joined the Dragon's Dogma fray. Now I'm looking for some mice to exterminate.
Oh yeah, saying that without pictures is a bit useless, so let's put up some useless shots:

ZsFb.png
atFb.png

zkylon

zkylewd
43IG5Q3.png

this is the #1 color caster/analyst for league of legends

doto too hard for us :<

What makes people so hyped for Firewatch? To me, the trailer does look good, but I cannot imagine that the game world will feel deep enough to sustain the gameplay.
i think there's just good word-of-mouth going about that game

but u know, not enough for me to preorder

xcom 2 tho, that shit lux dope

My friends' are slacking, their pawns are still on their 1 digit and teens level.

And my steam activity feed is full of Dragon's Dogma. After adding 150 friends for DD, it'll never be the same again.

Haunted

What makes people so hyped for Firewatch? To me, the trailer does look good, but I cannot imagine that the game world will feel deep enough to sustain the gameplay.
I think a big part is the pedigree of the team. It's like an all star line-up. The two directors and writers responsible for Walking Dead Season 1, the lead game designer of Mark of the Ninja, ex Doublefine environmental artists and musicians, all coming together to start their own thing. For people familiar with the scene, that alone makes Firewatch an exciting prospect.

Wok

43IG5Q3.png

this is the #1 color caster/analyst for league of legends

doto too hard for us :<

I have been playing Dota2 for three years, and I have no idea what is going on in League of Legends or Heroes of the Storm when I watch a game. Even in Dota2, I sometimes (but rarely) get lost in pro fights and need to read an explanation of what really happened.

Typically: https://youtu.be/tDaJes0T1Ig

My friends' are slacking, their pawns are still on their 1 digit and teens level.

And my steam activity feed is full of Dragon's Dogma. After adding 150 friends for DD, it'll never be the same again.
When is an ideal time to change vocations?

Planning on upgrading after I hit the max rank. Is that fine?

zkylon

zkylewd
I have been playing Dota2 for three years, and I have no idea what is going on in League of Legends or Heroes of the Storm when I watch a game. Even in Dota2, I sometimes (but rarely) get lost in pro fights and need to read an explanation of what really happened.
yea his next tweet is about how similar things can be said about league

tho i'd probably still put doto as the leading game in obtuseness haha

but yea cs go or starcraft or fighting games are a lot easier to follow

I'm bored and drinking lots of beer. So take this shit:

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

It Came From Space And Ate Our Brains -- MB-3EBD18292DC3F819 - Taken by laserlaser
Abyss Odyssey -- MB-F99DC0B1063AEBC6 - Taken by Ucchedav&#257;da
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut -- MB-3504326A4CFDA520 - Taken by jdw_b
Shadowgate: Macventure Series -- MB-834F6E763745163F - Taken by kurahador
Contagion -- MB-01C3C0F555AB1C51 - Taken by shervinrs

Shade

A few extras, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 37 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brink of Consciousness Dorian Gray Syndrome CE -- MB-7299A2AA336664B4 - Taken by almostheathen. 1 entrants total.
Dark Arcana The Carnival -- MB-1F48CC267A16AEF6 - Taken by deejay. 1 entrants total.
AR-K -- MB-926BA7BF4DDB41C3 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Boid -- MB-B194FCC2347E2E15 - Taken by redlacs. 2 entrants total.
Elements Soul of Fire -- MB-C59E0EAA1C6704E5 - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.
Chronicles of a Dark Lord Ep II War of The Abyss -- MB-1EABF1B928AD5AC1 - Taken by Ludens. 1 entrants total.
Fatty Bears Birthday Surprise -- MB-968B7DA5AC355F0D - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Litil Divil -- MB-A396F35A08F0560C - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
Hexcells Infinite -- MB-645CDE114AAAC58C - Taken by Ibuki. 1 entrants total.
Fist of Jesus -- MB-E38B7842F503B9FA - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Racer 8 -- MB-9B2BD3FDA8308037 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
ONE DAY for Ched -- MB-3D11336005706A1C
Dead Effect -- MB-5BA0DD6CCB2BF947 - Taken by Jack The Nipper. 2 entrants total.
Tribloos 2 #2 -- MB-ECC10D18AC7E1CB4 - Taken by titch. 1 entrants total.
Tribloos 2 -- MB-42ECC99854654DC6 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Royal Defense -- MB-EC110DDF2F330994 - Taken by yoshizzle. 1 entrants total.
Brink of Consciousness The Lonely Hearts Murders -- MB-EEB1213BD2DDF141 - Taken by someguyinahat. 1 entrants total.
Truffle Saga -- MB-A3D436CB4E82A408 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.
God Mode -- MB-F0FC76959426C7EE - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.

ONE DAY for Ched #2 -- MB-0C58F64241850AE2
Space Farmers -- MB-C2D74BF080DDBB66 - Taken by septicore. 1 entrants total.
Space Farmers #3 -- MB-7E17C39B0E501D30 - Taken by neonglow. 4 entrants total.
Space Farmers #2 -- MB-77ACA257D191EF52 - Taken by Megauap. 1 entrants total.
Cooking Academy Fire and Knives -- MB-C53E1FE4A98AB37F - Taken by Ventara. 1 entrants total.
Alien Breed Trilogy -- MB-F2F3020C383A296D - Taken by Popstar. 1 entrants total.
House of 1000 Doors Family Secrets -- MB-70A62081F6744830 - Taken by bobnowhere. 1 entrants total.
Grimind -- MB-D75D939FB94C501D - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Nearwood Collectors Edition -- MB-5A180F19F048291E - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
ThreadSpace Hyperbol -- MB-67EE347872B825A9 - Taken by ctw0e. 1 entrants total.
bit Dungeon II -- MB-DB9597496D3BEF9E - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-2ABD89B85C8C00B5 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
Ultimate Space Commando -- MB-D06D58577F8B194E - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Coma Mortuary -- MB-3E4D510DBB26860B - Taken by Ludens. 1 entrants total.
International Snooker 2012 -- MB-63790A323E3295FD - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.
Starlaxis Supernova Edition -- MB-D5136B8EB04786AB - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Cubicity -- MB-E7EF73ACA619BC22 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
House of 1000 Doors The Palm of Zoroaster CE -- MB-1A57E701617AA836 - Taken by deejay. 2 entrants total.

t1453018314z1.png

What's the most hyped February game? And are you guys going to play it?

SFV and nothing else even is really on the radar. I guess Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend as well since I didn't have the DLC characters in CP that and they made some good changes in Extend.

Everything else is stuff I already played and had no intention if playing in the first place.

Not touching Mighty No. 9 remotely unless I get it for free and try it with morbid curiosity. Inb4 "The graphics aren't even that bad dude." it's the gameplay I have a gripe with.

yea his next tweet is about how similar things can be said about league

tho i'd probably still put doto as the leading game in obtuseness haha

but yea cs go or starcraft or fighting games are a lot easier to follow
Dota has so many interactions, that even years later I still find myself asking "Does that go through BKB", "Does this spell affect that spell in such & such a way", "Can I purge this with diffusal, Eul's, etc". There are a whole lot of things to remember. The complexity of Dota is what keeps bringing me back, what keeps it from becoming stale. I totally agree that is way harder to get into because of it, but that's the price you pay I guess.

I can understand League on a basic level but when it comes to strategies and all the different spells flying, I have no idea what's going on. You really need to invest a lot of time into each game.

I gave Smite a try, and while it's an easier MOBA to get into (in my opinion) it still requires a lot of time. I can play it poorly, sure, but in order to truly "get" it, I need to know what every spell does, what every item does. That's why I am content to stick with Dota. More than one Moba is honestly too much of a timesink.

Wok

Dota has so many interactions, that even years later I still find myself asking "Does that go through BKB", "Does this spell affect that spell in such & such a way", "Can I purge this with diffusal, Eul's, etc". There are a whole lot of things to remember. The complexity of Dota is what keeps bringing me back, what keeps it from becoming stale. I totally agree that is way harder to get into because of it, but that's the price you pay I guess.

I can understand League on a basic level but when it comes to strategies and all the different spells flying, I have no idea what's going on. You really need to invest a lot of time into each game.

I gave Smite a try, and while it's an easier MOBA to get into (in my opinion) it still requires a lot of time. I can play it poorly, sure, but in order to truly "get" it, I need to know what every spell does, what every item does. That's why I am content to stick with Dota. More than one Moba is honestly too much of a timesink.

To be fair, what keeps Dota2 from becoming stale are patch notes. It is very apparent that people get a bit bored after the meta of a patch has been figured out, and the game gets a lot of interest again after the 20-page-long patch notes are released.

zkylon

zkylewd

yea i agree

i've had ppl try to get me into doto a few times and while i've had some sort of fun playing it, it's also really difficult from going from feeling like the one true god of all knowledge and mechanics&#8482; to WTF IS GOING ON and being rolled over by bots

that feeling of going back to being a noob is what turns me off completely of learning to play doto (also i dont like the champion designs too much, outside of death prophet no one is like an instant "i wanna play this guy!" for me)

and also yea i have to double check things all the time in league too, specially cos cleanse and qss and mikaels (basically three different versions of diffusal in league) all work differently and such.

they're fucked up games lol

league also gets patches like every three weeks (dunno how long patches take for doto but i hear it's longer?) with new skins and new champions and balance changes and reworks added all the time, so it's easy to find new things to get excited about all the time.

To be fair, what keeps Dota2 from becoming stale are patch notes. It is very apparent that people get a bit bored after the meta of a patch has been figured out, and the game gets a lot of interest again after the 20-page-long patch notes are released.
well i'm guessing that's just a moba thing

these games are so complicated that it's sort of "easy" for their communities to figure them out and break them so they need constant care so they keep being fun and balanced

but patches also throw curve balls into the meta that just shakes things up as to keep everything interesting

there's this new hot item now or this change to towers or neutral creeps or bounties or whatever that just drives ppl to come up with new strategies, etc.

When is an ideal time to change vocations?

Planning on upgrading after I hit the max rank. Is that fine?

Anything's fine, change as you please. The most important thing about the vocations is the augment. You can use other voc's augment to other vocation, so if you think some augments are worth unlocking for your favorite one, go ahead and play that vocation.

However, if you're planning to min-max your character, there are certain vocation change progressions you have to do in order. It's because each vocation gives different stats growth per level.

Anything's fine, change as you please. The most important thing about the vocations is the augment. You can use other voc's augment to other vocation, so if you think some augments are worth unlocking for your favorite one, go ahead and play that vocation.

However, if you're planning to min-max your character, there are certain vocation change progressions you have to do in order. It's because each vocation gives different stats growth per level.
Ah, thanks. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-20BDE5E4CD57C323 - Taken by xJavonta

Bl@de

Wowza. Just streamed Dark Souls from my Mini-ITX in the living room to the Desktop Linux build with a Intel HD 4400 card. That means I can still play a game if somebody would like to watch a show. And it ran perfectly ...

97AJGdZ.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

K7GXagI.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-2EC1E0BF7079E9D2 - Taken by Jack The Nipper. 3 entrants total.

t1453023174z1.png

xJavonta

Banned
Wowza. Just streamed Dark Souls from my Mini-ITX in the living room to the Desktop Linux build with a Intel HD 4400 card. That means I can still play a game if somebody would like to watch a show. And it ran perfectly ...

97AJGdZ.jpg
Steam in home streaming is really something. Blew me away when I first tried it

Uzzy

What's the most hyped February game? And are you guys going to play it?

There's only one Hot Package coming in February. We PC players will only get Hot Chun-Li for pre-ordering, but my word she's so worth it.

Six hours into ARMAIII and I finished the puny Bootcamp Tutorial and just now
6am again ( -_-)
finished the VR Turorial. Damn, just learning the basics in this game is damn hard. Damn. Hard.

Other than that, I think I still have some non-vr tutorials left. After that finally the campaign to sink my teeth into :)

Can't wait for more night-time predator-style covert ops.

It's a fantastic game for sure. There's nothing else out there that even approaches the level of detail and fidelity. Once you finish the campaign there's quite a few excellent single player scenarios to enjoy.

it's expensive tho :<

maybe if it's on nuuvem

Yeah, it's fairly expensive, especially for a five hour experience. Worth it in my opinion, but I won't begrudge anyone for holding out for a deal.

Wok

league also gets patches like every three weeks (dunno how long patches take for doto but i hear it's longer?) with new skins and new champions and balance changes and reworks added all the time, so it's easy to find new things to get excited about all the time.

Dota2 gets "real" balance patches every 3 to 8 months. Small bug fixes or cosmetics are released every week, or sometimes on several consecutive days.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, it's fairly expensive, especially for a five hour experience. Worth it in my opinion, but I won't begrudge anyone for holding out for a deal.
i don't really care about the length tbh but i find it difficult to justify it to myself when i'm not personally interested in it outside of the recommendations i hear.

say ladykiller in a bind, that thing might be 5 hours long but if it's $30 i'm in no probs

so ur game might be super good but i need to have that personal drive or else my head just goes "well is it 7.50? then probably not gonna impulse buy it!"

but yeah after not jumping on undertale i'm kind of rethinking my method

probably need to be more open

but maybe after i get a raise at my job haha

Dota2 gets "real" balance patches every 3 to 8 months. Small bug fixes or cosmetics are released every week, or sometimes on several consecutive days.
league has mostly every three-week patches (balance, sometimes new champions and reworks, skins), random big patches over the season (sometimes big changes to a group of champions or items) and then the mega huge ones at preseason (even bigger stuff, changes to basic game mechanics and the map and other crazy stuff)

it's kind of a lot, but it's a big part of what keeps you in it, there's always something new, and there's also competitive and all that, it can kinda take over sometimes heh

it's kinda cool that doto does new skins every week, it makes sense for the doto model since they're not selling champions and also cos the way they sell skins is more like $2 microtransactions while league skins are generally around the $10 mark so it's better to shower you with different options than just hype up single skins

Don't worry about min-maxing in Dragon's Dogma. It never gets hard enough for it to matter, even on hard as long as you aren't content skipping on your first playthrough. Just hit max rank in your vocation to get the last few augments and move on. I went Strider to Ranger to Magick Archer. Latter class is incredibly fun but the max rank ability you unlock sucks
Sacrifice a pawn for a poweful shot that does shit to endgame enemies
which is a bummer.

Ludens

Banned
I'm playing Pneuma Breath of Life and I honestly can't say if I like it or not.
Again, the narrator is very very boring, but I can pass on this simply by not providing attention.
Some puzzles are really good (I found one very similar in its concept to a puzzle I found back in days in Uru, in which
you basically need to do nothing, simply waiting in a spot for some time.)
, other are just bad in my opinion, and I'm talking about puzzles in which you need to move the visual in order to solve them. They are way too easy to screw up, I lost a lot of time on two puzzles (
the 12 blocks inside a stone, and the tiles on the floor of chapter 5
) while I proceeded very fast in the rest of the game.
EDIT: Completed now, I skipped two optional puzzles because, well, I didn't find them, plus some collectibles. The game is good, despite two puzzles I hated and the boring narrator.
But be aware, it's VERY short, you can easily complete it in one hour and thirty minutes.

UltraJay

97AJGdZ.jpg

Shouldn't the game be playing on the ITX build as well? That means nobody can watch a show on it. If the game is minimized then you'll end up seeing whatever the ITX is currently showing at the moment on your desktop. That's how it should work... right?

dex3108

I will really go insane but i will play and finish Bloodborne. It will probably take me whole year to finish it but i will do it even though i really, really don't like some of the design decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom