• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Ok? Numerous other smaller indie's still include both.
Feels to me like he just doesn't trust his audience's which is kind of wrong.
I mean there's a DRM free version if someone REALLY want's to play it, it won't be hard to get a hold of anyway.

Yeah, but...it seems stupid. I doubt so many people do this, at least not so much to cause a problem.

In the end it is his decision, he is developer. People still have choice to get DRM Free version at least.

Wok

Yeah £30 is a lot more than I expected for Witness, definitely sale material now =/

Sale?

7JMnR34.png

Uzzy

See my other post. Really feels like he knows the price is going to be a point of contention, so he figured limiting on humble bundle will somehow "save him". As I said there's a DRM free version regardless. If someone REALLY want's it, they won't have to go through very much to get it anyway. So why limit your fans options?

So where's the limit? Unless you mean he's limiting the ability for people to get two copies of his game for £30?

Wok

I guess the alternative would be he could have not released a DRM free version of the game.

The way he sees it, he is not afraid of piracy due to releasing a DRM-free copy of the game, however he is afraid of "lost sales" in the sense that some people pay to play the game and the money never goes to the dev. It is more a matter of accountability of the number of games sold.

Jawmuncher

So where's the limit? Unless you mean he's limiting the ability for people to get two copies of his game for £30?

Yes I was specifically talking about how purchasing on humble does not allow you both copies. Which is in itself a limit. Since for indies a big part of humble is getting both Steam and DRM from their store when you purchase.

The way he sees it, he is not afraid of piracy due to releasing a DRM-free copy of the game, however he is afraid of "lost sales" in the sense that some people pay to play the game and the money never goes to the dev.

Seems like he's mixing the two to me though. I can't imagine Key resellers are going to be huge.
Hell if someone want's a deal, they can get it from one of the cheaper regions. Which is still technically losing money as well.
Since the buyer won't be buying at their exchange rate.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Jonathan Blow spent a ton of his own money making this game. I'm fine with it being 40 dollars and I hope it does really well at that price

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The way he sees it, he is not afraid of piracy due to releasing a DRM-free copy of the game, however he is afraid of "lost sales" in the sense that some people pay to play the game and the money never goes to the dev.

And I get that, and it makes sense. I see people reselling Humble Steam stuff all the time that obviously still have access to the DRM free version so they're essentially splitting the cost of the game with someone that doesn't care about having a DRM free copy and/or having it on Steam.

I guess what surprises me the most is that this is something new. The bigger (aka greedier) devs have been doing the same thing for a while on sites like Humble simply by not offering DRM free versions, where 1 purchase = 1 key anyway.

Jawmuncher

That's like making a huge drama out of nothing.

I mean I don't necessarily, as I said I have no intentions on buying the game.
I just don't like it. I'm not gonna go make a thread on the matter or anything. More so surprised people are just alright with it, since the logic is kind of flawed.

cyba89

I mean I don't necessarily, as I said I have no intentions on buying the game.
I just don't like it. I'm not gonna go make a thread on the matter or anything. More so surprised people are just alright with it, since the logic is kind of flawed.

I also find the logic a bit strange, but why badmouth him by saying stuff like "he doesn't trust his fans" or "it's a fuck you to fans"?
You also think that about every dev who sells stuff on humble store and don't provide the option for a DRM-free copy at all?

tmarg

Most games I've bought on humble outside of bundles haven't included both drm free and steam. I thought that was just a bundle thing. It certainly isn't common enough to assume it.

Pachimari

Does Family Sharing only work on the same network? Or can I share my library with, let's say my father, who lives in his own apartment?

Jawmuncher

Just imagine that DRM free version was only available on GOG this wouldn't be an issue.
Most launches that are simultaneous on the services include both on humble.

I also find the logic a bit strange, but should why badmouth him by saying stuff like "he doesn't trust his fans" or "it's a fuck you to fans"?
You also think that about every dev who sells stuff on humble store and don't provide the option for a DRM-free copy at all?
Those were just my assumptions since as I said the logic seems flawed. If he want's to come out with some actual data I would like to see it. As was just mentioned if the game is playable through family share there alone is essentially some more "lost sales". Majority of indie releases include both, and especially from such a big name as blow it seems odd to limit. Not saying people won't necessarily sell keys having bought on Humble, but it just seems like a needless restriction. I don't see the witness even at it's price being a bomba and forcing him onto the street.

Most games I've bought on humble outside of bundles haven't included both drm free and steam. I thought that was just a bundle thing. It certainly isn't common enough to assume it.

The majority of indie games include it. The AAA pubs are the one's that don't usually. Most of the time DRM free isn't included because it was never made.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is Steam acting weird for anyone else either? For a while the Steam Launcher wouldn't connect me to Steam, RE0 is definitely out of pre-order stage but it won't give me any option but Pre-Load after restarting a few times, Idle Master will not connect to Steam.

Probably just something going on like maintenance or something but thought I should ask.

Dsyndrome

Is Steam acting weird for anyone else either? For a while the Steam Launcher wouldn't connect me to Steam, RE0 is definitely out of pre-order stage but it won't give me any option but Pre-Load after restarting a few times, Idle Master will not connect to Steam.

Probably just something going on like maintenance or something but thought I should ask.

Same, can't unpack the preload. Lost all my categories too. Seems more than just Tuesday to me.
Edit: Categories back, still exnay on the unpacking. Worked fine for DDDA.

JakeD

it's not a huge issue or anything and i understand why he did it but it is kind of lame to not have the humble DRM free + steam key option. its been my store of choice for a while now because of that. i hope it doesn't set a precedent for other indies.

at the end of the day it doesnt really matter because the steam version is probably DRM free, and it will end up in a humble bundle in a couple years anyway and we'll all get our backup copies then too

zkylon

zkylewd
man, the witness not even having a preorder price is kinda rough, but hey, it's the witness, gonna buy it anyways

guess i'll help malaria and buy it on humble bundle or something lol

She shouldn't have used a decade old version of Lara to hammer in her point.
i'm super late to this, but she has a more recent example in literally the first second of the video and tomb raider tight shorts are iconic so idk what's so wrong about it

Jawmuncher

it's not a huge issue or anything and i understand why he did it but it is kind of lame to not have the humble DRM free + steam key option. its been my store of choice for a while now because of that. i hope it doesn't set a precedent for other indies.

at the end of the day it doesnt really matter because the steam version is probably DRM free, and it will end up in a humble bundle in a couple years anyway and we'll all get our backup copies then too

Yeah , I seem to come off as extremely negative but this is basically where I stand on the matter. More or less just surprised most here just seem to shrug their shoulders at it, and not question it at least a little bit.

Ucchedavāda;192689355 said:
He explicitly stated that he was trying to limit key re-sellers, so why would he go after family sharing? By its very nature, that is a different and much more limited ecosystem.

I was just being facetious

Uzzy

I need this as an alt costume for Chun Li.

The wait for SFV is killing me. I even spotted a copy of The Legend of Chun Li in a shop today and considered it for a brief second. Someone please put me in a coma for the next 27 days..

t1455645600z0.png

Jawmuncher

I need this as an alt costume for Chun Li.

The wait for SFV is killing me. I even spotted a copy of The Legend of Chun Li in a shop today and considered it for a brief second. Someone please put me in a coma for the next 27 days..

t1455645600z0.png

You got the cop costume already, you can't be too greedy.
Still plan on renting SFV for the story mode, and buying it when Juri is release. By then the Base game with the DLC characters should be 60 together somewhere.

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly i hadn't even watched the video before making the above post

this is probably the least inflammatory tropes vs women video ever and probably one of the easiest to get behind of (heh)

it's got many examples of bad butts and good butts for females and males and it's not even asking much out of developers or anything

Knurek

I hate it when there's a choice heavy, route heavy VN out there and nobody thought to provide any flowchart for it.

To Be or Not To Be is even worse. There's a flowchart hidden in the resource files, but it's at such a low res, you can't read the actual choices. I mean, check for yourself:

tobe_map.texylqht.png

Who does shit like that?

Arthea

That's odd, all games (many) I bought on HB store (not in a bundle), have DRM free versions, I always check and I never even once sold a steam key I got from HB, so I kinda am with munchie on this one, I don't like it. You don't get two copies as some people seem to assume, you get one game, a key for steam for and DRM free (the same game) which you can't sell, so it's not two copies, it's one and if some people sell the steam key, which I find very hard to believe, I mean that many sell, it's still totally a trust matter as with any DRM free sale.
Now again big publishers of "big" mainstream games never offer DRM free versions at all, anywhere, so if someone wants to take example from them, they can.

Breaking news!

I'm confident that I'll be able to get everything ready in just a few short hours after the voting ends this year. Unlike last year where it was months before we got results, I plan on revealing our GOTY at:
t1453431600z4.png

(that's 7PM PST on Thursday the 21st! Just three short hours after voting ends!)

Just like in years past, I'll be counting down the top 10 spots Casey Kasem style right here on this thread before posting the total final results in a new thread on the gaming side. There will be about 5-7 minutes between each reveal for people to discuss and speculate. We had a lot of fun doing this last year, so you won't want to miss it.

you are the best, jshackles, I was just asking today when we will get results. I'll try to be there for countdown, it's fun

I hate it when there's a choice heavy, route heavy VN out there and nobody thought to provide any flowchart for it.

To Be or Not To Be is even worse. There's a flowchart hidden in the resource files, but it's at such a low res, you can't read the actual choices. I mean, check for yourself:

http://abload.de/img/tobe_map.texylqht.png[/IMG

Who does shit like that?[/QUOTE]

don't tell me you forgot how to take notes too

Is that shot real? *laughs

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like liking your own purchase is kinda sad

but i'd do it lol

i'm gonna wait a couple days and see if it pops up in gmg or nuuvem or something and if it doens't then fuk it

it's the witness

Knurek

don't tell me you forgot how to take notes too

Is that shot real? *laughs

Yeah, notes, yeah.
Look man, here's the complete flowchart. Scaled down a bit.

skull2.jpg

This is pretty much LLTQ material, wouldn't you agree?

I wish the game would just let me chose the route visually. :\

Arthea

Yeah, notes, yeah.
Look man, here's the complete flowchart. Scaled down a bit.

http://i1.wp.com/media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/skull2.jpg[/IMG

This is pretty much LLTQ material, wouldn't you agree?

I wish the game would just let me chose the route visually. :\[/QUOTE]

noice! Now you are making me regret not picking it during winter sale
not that I have time for it right now, but that looks like it has some hamletish potential, true
Is every choice "to be or not to be"?

[SPOILER]sorry[/SPOILER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom