• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

You can mod those Joker levels into the PC version. Probably not legal, but it's doable.

Also shocked that MKX sold so much. I remember a few folks (here?) trying to refund it after the feature went live but I guess most people didn't care or something.

Unless you were in the know, most didn't even think refunding older titles was possible.

Also shocked that MKX sold so much. I remember a few folks (here?) trying to refund it after the feature went live but I guess most people didn't care or something.

QLOC fixed most of the problems with MKX when WB gave High Voltage Software the boot. If folks knew this was happening, the install base would've had a lower number than 500K.

Knurek

Isn't a definitive version the version that works overall best and has the most content?

Edit: Yeah, forgot about that new netcode the console version is getting which the PC-version is not getting.

Now that PS4 is selling like hot-cakes, we can expect more and more of AAA publishers to go back on their PC support.
Because we all know PC sucks, there are no games on PC, and the games that are on PC are either all pirated or bought in $.99 bundles.

This should crescendo well into 2020 when Sony, the savior of humankind, releases PS5, a console that will be so awesome people will literally burn their computers, flush their tablets and mobiles down the toilet and all join the blue race.

Now that PS4 is selling like hot-cakes, we can expect more and more of AAA publishers to go back on their PC support.
Because we all know PC sucks, there are no games on PC, and the games that are on PC are either all pirated or bought in $.99 bundles.

This should crescendo well into 2020 when Sony, the savior of humankind, releases PS5, a console that will be so awesome people will literally burn their computers, flush their tablets and mobiles down the toilet and all join the blue race.
Is this gamefaqs or gaf?

Calm down

ArjanN

guys, don't forget to submit your GOTY votes to jshackles, there is only one day left, and I find turnout to be rather alarming, did we really lose so many people in one year? Also, if you submit your votes, it will be more fun tomorrow, when results are posted, no?

I think it's that it that people were pushing for it more previous years, now it was just posted at the start of the thread and I barely saw it mentioned again.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't they announce and release FF6 last minute on steam? Hell i think they did that with LR as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see it by the end of next week. With maybe two days of notice before hand.

Yeah, with how little fanfare was given to FF VI, it's hard to tell when Square Enix will actually release FF IX.

zJUlhbR.png

Given the change in the game's generic release date, it should release some time before March, possibly even this month, but it could be randomly released with absolutely no notice beforehand.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, with how little fanfare was given to FF VI, it's hard to tell when Square Enix will actually release FF IX.

Given the change in the game's generic release date, it should release some time before March, possibly even this month, but it could be randomly released with absolutely no notice beforehand.

I expect them release it on a crowded day and then cry about it.

cyba89

I find that constant console gamer ridiculing by some people in this thread really off-putting. You're not one bit better than people mocking PC gaming.

Why can't everyone have fun with their games on their box of choice?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy IX as much as the next guy (okay, okay, probably more) but the high price on GMG gave me a little pause. I'm also sucked into Dragon's Dogma, and next week is Tomb Raider. So even if it's February or March before it releases, I can wait.

Even though it's one of the few "mainline" Final Fantasy games I've never beat.

Hektor

I find that constant console gamer ridiculing by some people in this thread really off-putting. You're not one bit better than people mocking PC gaming.

Why can't everyone have fun with their games on their box of choice?

But Knurek isn't mocking console gamers. He's mocking platformwarriors that venture into every PC thread just to tell people how much PC gaming sucks and how worthless it is.

Dr Dogg

Has Knurek just MRORANGEd a bunch of you?

I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy IX as much as the next guy (okay, okay, probably more) but the high price on GMG gave me a little pause. I'm also sucked into Dragon's Dogma, and next week is Tomb Raider. So even if it's February or March before it releases, I can wait.

Even though it's one of the few "mainline" Final Fantasy games I've never beat.

Well I've only really sunk my teeth into it on PS One and the PAL version at that so that slow arsed game was 17% even slower but still had a hoot. Though I do own it on my US PSN account and had it installed on my Vita since that day I got it (the Vita that is) I've just not felt the inclination to return to IX. Though now having the option to speed up those agonising battles by a factor of 3 and possibility a few little PC tricks here and there I'm tempted to get stuck in again.

Though honestly I'm full of shit. How many times have I said 'wow I'm really interested in playing x again' only to get bored after 5-10 hours and drop it for something else. Such is the harsh reality of little free time and the attention span of a knat.

Arthea

only database is wrong in this case, on FF9 store page release date wasn't January 1st, it was 29, I think, or around that day anyway. In a day it was changed to early 2016.

brau

Morning guys! (kinda late morning).

Some thoughts from this morning.

Gave Darkest Dungeon a whirl, and it was alright. I love the art style, love the presentation, and the narration is ok. Game is certainly interesting as it seems to be more about management than its RPG battle system counterpart. So far its keeping my interest, even tho its a pretty merciless game. Pretty tough right off the bat.

Anyone else playing the game?

The other game i took for a spin was Resident Evil 0. This game looks awesome at 4k. The attention to detail and the look really benefits from them doing a good job on it. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the cutscenes are pixelated. Didn't they rerender these at a higher resolution? It is kinda big quality loss, or i would not be complaining about it.

Also, this game takes me back to the old RE games haha. (essentially since this is an old RE game). The hit animation when you shoot the zombies is old school haha. Its great. I might revisit RE HD and RE0 HD. But so far, from the short testing i did to see how the port handled it looked alright.

I have also been in this weird mood where nothing seems very exciting or keeps my attention for long. I have a feeling it has to do with RotTR finally releasing next week. I am super excited for it.

TLDR: stuff happens during my mornings.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I did the same as knurek a few days ago in here but that was because a regular here who almost exclusively talk about ps4 or other sony consoles came in here just to say we should thank sony for getting pc ports.
I'm sorry if that's bad, I've just gotten a bit annoyed with the sentiment of "go thank these multi-billion dollar corporations" like seriously.

Arthea

I think it's that it that people were pushing for it more previous years, now it was just posted at the start of the thread and I barely saw it mentioned again.

all right, you convinced me

here it is

KrtdLef.png

Voting is now open for the third annual NeoGaf Steam GOTY Award. Voting is simple, just follow these steps:
  • Choose your top 5 favorite games that released on Steam in 2015. See below for official eligibility
  • Award your favorite game (#1 choice) 5 points, your next (#2 choice) 4 points, and so on.
  • (Optional) write a few sentances explaining why you think your top choice deserves to win
  • PM everything to jshackles
Here is a sample entry you can copy/paste into your PM:

(5 Points) - Game 1
(4 Points) - Game 2
(3 Points) - Game 3
(2 Points) - Game 4
(1 Point) - Game 5

I think Game 1 should win GOTY because...

Voting will close on January 21st at 4:00PM PST
t1453420800z4.png

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.
  • Game must have have been released on Steam in 2015.
  • Re-releases, ports, and remasters are only eligible if the original source material was not previously available on Steam. For example, games such as Final Fantasy V or even Chip's Challenge are eligible because those games were not previously available on Steam. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin and Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition are not eligible because they are both remasters of existing Steam games.
  • Episodic games are only eligible if their final episode was released in 2015. For example, King's Quest is not eligible, because only the first two episodes released in 2015. However, Tales from the Borderlands is eligible even though it came out in 2014 because it's final episode was released in 2015.
  • Games released on Steam Early Access in 2015 are not eligible. Games releasing out of Early Access are eligible. For example, ARK: Survival Evolved is not eligible, but Nuclear Throne is eligible.
  • DLC is not eligible. Sorry Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms.
  • Multiple votes for the same game on a single ballot will be disqualified. If you list the same game multiple times, the vote with the highest point value will be used and all other votes for that game will be discarded.
  • If you have any questions about a particular game's eligibility, ask in the Steam thread and we should be able to help you.
  • Modbot is not eligible to vote due to the fact that he is a bot.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

MUnited83

For you.
I did the same as knurek a few days ago in here but that was because a regular here who almost exclusively talk about ps4 or other sony consoles came in here just to say we should thank sony for getting pc ports.

Actually, it was about a certain game that doesn't even have a PC port confirmed yet. So it was very very weird. "You should be thankful for Sony existing because this PS4 exclusive that wasn't confirmed for PC wouldn't exist!!!"

Nzyme32

This game looks nice, I may actually ask for it for my birthday. Haven't played an RTS in a long time.

I'd actually recommend grabbing the pre-order if you are also interested in the original Homeworld 1 and 2 remastered, as you get them for free with the pre-order. There has been some criticism of HW1 remastered for some issues since it uses the HW2 UI and systems, but they are actually releasing a sizable fix for all of that soon. Regardless, if that does bother you, you still get the original versions with all of those anyway

fantomena

Namecalling is rude, if you ever read a thread about pcsales or ports you'll know what people i'm talking about.

Doesn't that go both ways? PC and consoles?

I'm sorry if that's bad, I've just gotten a bit annoyed with the sentiment of "go thank these multi-billion dollar corporations" like seriously.

That was me. Thought people would take it as a joke, but a lot of people took it way more seriously than I imagined.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've been resisting the urge to repost every hour but I'll certainly be bringing it up again more often in the next 24 hours as the vote comes to a close. Also, the thread title was changed to remind people to vote.

Just over a day left to get your votes in! Don't miss out.

cyba89

But Knurek isn't mocking console gamers. He's mocking platformwarriors that venture into every PC thread just to tell people how much PC gaming sucks and how worthless it is.

While this is most likely true you could also just stay above such things, because it's just a tiny minority anyway.

I also just quoted him because it was the latest comment but I'm also referring to stuff like this. Which is a comment to an also needlessly passive-agressive post from grief.exe earlier regarding a post in a Division thread.
I don't know if there are enough deities to protect against the console folks feral behaviour to those kind of comments

Dr Dogg

I'm conflicted. On one hand yes WB have treated PC less than acceptable for a while now but on the other I still have a deep rooted love of Tt and their LEGO games. Dying Light and Mad Max got some pretty decent support (although Techland and Avalanche aren't WB studios) while Arkahm Knight and MKX (with Rocksteady and NetherRealm under the WB wing) got passed off like lepers to have their PC versions outsourced. There's lessons to be leaned here, both for WB and the consumer, but whether they will I don't know.

By the way, where is Mr. Orange?

Fingers crossed he turns up towards the end of the month or we'll have to get the milk carton ads out again.

Nillansan

This one was a huge blip on my radar, and then quickly was buried for some reason. Thanks for bringing it back up. Steam reviews seem to corroborate your praise.

Technobabylon is truly something special. An engaging story with well-thought out puzzles and the game also offers multiple approaches to said puzzles. Easily worth the price of admission.

You won't be let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom