• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelf

I also like CV but I don't agree that it's hard. There's a ton of ammo, I replayed it recently and when I finished the first area I had over 100 bullets, over 100 arrows, 12 grenades for the grenade launcher and more than 50% left in the dual pistols. Final boss sucks though and can be really annoying. I gave up waiting for a steam release and got it on PSN since it was cheap during the winter sale.
Don't remember CV having that much ammo. Didn't nearly everyone complain about running out for the Tyrant boss on the plane. Unless CVX changed a lot.

From EA thread

This is it, this is how video games died.

st.jpg

:)

Happy Birthday! Also to hijack this it is also my birthday today ^-^ (28 years old...) And I bring games!!! Enjoy the Tomb Raider HYPE:
Today's my birthday! 27 years old, don't feel a day over 30! Gonna get some sleep now, order a pizza later and play some video games all night, just like every other day...

MyKwSpV.png
Wish you both happy birthdays!
That comic strip though, haha. Best version of it I've seen yet!

Ludens

Banned
If anime is mentioned again than I shall unleash the ANIMEPOCALYPSE.

You're on notice, SteamGAF.

I don't think they've ever done a trade MB for an MB reward.

I haven't spent a single MB in MGO as I haven't even used that mode yet. I'm all about those FOB's and PF warz.

Lol, I wasted all my MB coins here, I'm missing only one paid items for the scout plus colors. When I'll manage to take them for free, I'll probably start buying other Fobs...if Konami will be still in business.

milena87

Today's my birthday! 27 years old, don't feel a day over 30! Gonna get some sleep now, order a pizza later and play some video games all night, just like every other day...

Happy Birthday! Also to hijack this it is also my birthday today ^-^ (28 years old...) And I bring games!!! Enjoy the Tomb Raider HYPE:

Happy Birthday! :D

Soooo, Dragon's Dogma is great. Last night I found a Drake and it flew away, never to be seen again. I reloaded and left it alone. For now.
Tonight I'll explore the catacombs.

Dr Dogg

I know there's a lot of folks around here that can't wait to vent their ire about microtransactions but let's just look at two games for a second and see the approach each is taking and tell me which you like more.

In the red corner with have Battlefront which is a $60 game with additional content provided over it's lifecycle by a $50 season pass. No details on what this additional content is but might be in line with the Battlefield series.

In the blue corner we have Rainbow Six Siege which is also a $60 game with additional content provided over it's first year for free and actually detailed what will be released and when it's scheduled but is supported by microtransactions in the way of XP boosters and such as well as a season pass that just provides early unlocks for $40.

Arthea

I know there's a lot of folks around here that can't wait to vent their ire about microtransactions but let's just look at two games for a second and see the approach each is taking and tell me which you like more.

In the red corner with have Battlefront which is a $60 game with additional content provided over it's lifecycle by a $50 season pass. No details on what this additional content is but might be in line with the Battlefield series.

In the blue corner we have Rainbow Six Siege which is also a $60 game with additional content provided over it's first year for free and actually detailed what will be released and when it's scheduled but is supported by microtransactions in the way of XP boosters and such as well as a season pass that just provides early unlocks for $40.

no amount of contemplating or analysing will change my opinion on microtransactions or season passes. OTOH we have indies, most of those are proper games, so high budget gaming can go to hell for all I care.
mostly because I consider it already dead

But as you pointed before, not all people share my views, so yeah, even if zombified it still live and will live most likely and it's OK.

BTW what content Rainbow Six Siege provided for free? A real question, I don't know

accel

Not enough data (for someone unfamiliar with both games).

Dr Dogg

no amount of contemplating or analysing will change my opinion on microtransactions or season passes. OTOH we have indies, most of those are proper games, so high budget gaming can go to hell for all I care.
mostly because I consider it already dead

But as you pointed before, not all people share my views, so yeah, even if zombified it still live and will live most likely and it's OK.

BTW what content Rainbow Six Siege provided for free? A real question, I don't know

YearOneRoadmap_227421.jpg

Obviously value is subjective and sometimes quality of content trumps quantity of content.

R6 Siege's model reminds of a time before DLC and microtransactions were a thing. A time when developers provided free updates and support in the way of patches long after the game had released. That always helped with player engagement and had the potential to draw in lapsed players when new content has dropped plus unlike the additional cost map pack model doesn't split your player base up either. Christ I even go back to my Diablo obsession when a new patch comes out after some time away but with season passes I usually tend to wait until the whole thing is out or it's heavily reduced in price before dipping in.

Here's a data point to take away, while there's no way to get console or Uplay numbers for R6S to compare properly right now Battlefront has 3,046 online with a 9,872 peak over 24hr while R6S just on Steam has 5,068 online right now with a 11,397 24 hour peak. Be interesting to see which one has the longer legs on PC, especially when you consider the business models of the most popular PC titles at the moment.

milena87

Oh christ my backlog is stacking up and up. I know I didn't go in for alpha tier but I get the feeling I might have backed a tier with beta access :(

Another vote for ignore it until release.
I almost never play the alpha and beta access for more than 5-10 minutes. Grim Dawn was the only exception, as I did play the entire first chapter.

Stuff I've been playing:

ARPG set post WW2 where Zombies have taken over New York. Lots of numbers govern your abilities but none of them are particularly well explained and tooltips/tutorials are at a minimum.

Companion AI is also fundamentally broken. Upon loading or area transitions they can become unresponsive and completely useless and in a game that seems to encourage backtracking and farming to keep up to date level wise it's unforgivable. I'm currently about 5 levels behind where I should be and am running out of energy to grind.

There is a very good game trying to get out from under a morass of poorly explained mechanics. It just needs a bit more work. The game has a great soundtrack as well.

Choose-your-own survival adventure game where your choices define who if anyone survives. A game over 10 days game time only took about an hour and there seems to be many wildly varying outcomes.

A disparate bunch of survivors crash land on an island and have to find the bunker or survive the smoke monster actually navigate a series of cliched character archetypes. Probably the most disappointing aspect is you play the only character, Rita, who has their shit together and you have to guide a conspiracy nut, a morose desk jockey, a "gamer" and a well meaning but useless older married couple. Some more interesting characters would have been nice.

The game does look fantastic and is well worth a play.

Boring Twin-stick about vikings with guns. Crap menus, poor controls and average graphics. Might be fun with multiple people, but no one else was playing it.

Nice little puzzler where you navigate a red cube through an escher-like line maze. Got through the first 25% of levels pretty quickly but they get more complex. Nice sharp graphics and 60 levels with the promise of more to come.

Roll a marble through a maze, plenty like it on steam. Inexact physics and average graphics, don't bother.

A new and special kind of terrible. Have you ever thought what it would be like to play Arkham in treacle with shocking input lag if it even registers a press at all? Well now you can!

No controller prompts, only keyboard and no controller scheme so I had no idea what I was doing until I started jabbing buttons at random. Enemies also take an inordinate amount of punishment, fights with 3-4 guys takes 5 minutes or more! Maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe the game just didn't tell me how!

The VO is the real star and you really need to experience it just to know just how bad VO can be. Kick-ass changed accents at least twice in the first level, Hit-girl is clearly a 30+ yo woman who needed a job and the first boss, I was laughing at his "performance" long after I'd quit the game, moved it to my terrible category and uninstalled.

The graphics are quite nice looking, cell shaded but every other part of the game is terrible.

Early, very early will need a lot of optimisation. Bullshots are bullshotted and a lot of the 2D backgrounds and interface screens are pretty average. 3D FTL, lots of promise but looks to be a long, long way away from launch.

Mivey

Just so I don't waste a vote:
Grim Fandango Remastered is eligible for the GOTY 2015 right? To my knowledge the original was not on Steam.

jdw_b

you just convinced me to give Dyscourse a chance, not sure when, not any time soon for sure, but I'll move it to my games to play queue.
thanks, btw

Ha same here

Was just thinking of what to play next. Finished three games so far in '16.

YearOneRoadmap_227421.jpg

Obviously value is subjective and sometimes quality of content trumps quantity of content.

R6 Siege's model reminds of a time before DLC and microtransactions were a thing. A time when developers provided free updates and support in the way of patches long after the game had released. That always helped with player engagement and had the potential to draw in lapsed players when new content has dropped plus unlike the additional cost map pack model doesn't split your player base up either. Christ I even go back to my Diablo obsession when a new patch comes out after some time away but with season passes I usually tend to wait until the whole thing is out or it's heavily reduced in price before dipping in.

Here's a data point to take away, while there's no way to get console or Uplay numbers for R6S to compare properly right now Battlefront has 3,046 online with a 9,872 peak over 24hr while R6S just on Steam has 5,068 online right now with a 11,397 24 hour peak. Be interesting to see which one has the longer legs on PC, especially when you consider the business models of the most popular PC titles at the moment.

Kinda interesting how much "inspiration" Ubisoft has taken from CS:GO. The DLC is pretty much 1:1 compared to CS:GO operations

Arthea

http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/resource/en-US/game/rainbow6/siege/YearOneRoadmap_227421.jpg[/IMG

Here's a data point to take away, while there's no way to get console or Uplay numbers for R6S to compare properly right now Battlefront has 3,046 online with a 9,872 peak over 24hr while R6S just on Steam has 5,068 online right now with a 11,397 24 hour peak. Be interesting to see which one has the longer legs on PC, especially when you consider the business models of the most popular PC titles at the moment.[/QUOTE]
That does look like not a bad model. Can you tell me if a vanilla game feels lacklustre in any way? Just curious.
checked some reviews too, this one made me smile

[QUOTE]It's like Counter-Strike but for functional adults. [/QUOTE]

too bad about uplay and no steam cheevos, tho

Arminsc

From EA thread

This is it, this is how video games died.

When Mass Effect: Andromeda comes out, people will play it and realise it ends in a cliffhanger.

"Players: But where's the ending?"

"EA: You can choose an ending from our store for just 14.99$ each!"

Nice little puzzler where you navigate a red cube through an escher-like line maze. Got through the first 25% of levels pretty quickly but they get more complex pretty quickly. Nice sharp graphics and 60 levels with the promise of more to come.

Took a look at the game-play video for that game, and wow, mind blown.
C4buo.gif

And luckily it's on sale for less than what I have in Steam pocket-change.

Knurek

Nice little puzzler where you navigate a red cube through an escher-like line maze. Got through the first 25% of levels pretty quickly but they get more complex. Nice sharp graphics and 60 levels with the promise of more to come.

Is that a clone of echochrome?

you just convinced me to give Dyscourse a chance, not sure when, not any time soon for sure, but I'll move it to my games to play queue.
thanks, btw

Only took me about an hour to play, managed to get two people off the island. It took 10 days in game, might be longer or shorter depending on your choices but there were plenty of locations I could have gone to but choose another option.

My story:

Collected some supplies early, water and flares. Rains came and flooded the camp, had to choose between saving the conspiracy nut and the food/flares floating away. Choose the nut, immediately regretted it. Ran to a cave, found a cat. Once the rain stopped the gamer and the desk jockey left to find food. The gamer was killed off screen by a Jaguar who was helpfully led back to the cave by the desk jockey.

Said Jaguar then kills older man, wife not particularly concerned. Conspiracy nut mentions a light on the horizon so we build a raft, not enough room for everyone so the desk jockey has to stay behind. Bring the cat though.

Eventually we find the light is just a tsunami buoy, smash it with my frying pan and go back to the island. Nut dies of hunger on the way back then waves swamp the raft and the older woman is eaten by a shark.

Get back to the island with the cat and a helicopter lands to investigate the smashed buoy picking up me, the cat and the desk jockey!

Charming game.

septicore

I kinda feel like my changing my top 5 GOTY votes because I just recently finished Undertale and D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die. But I won't since I played them this year and not last year.

I hope Swery gets well and healthy soon, so he can work on season 2 of D4.

Hold off on playing it until official launch, there, less stress on your backlog.

That's what i'm doing, it's difficult as i'm desperate to play it but i can wait for it. I also didn't want to burn out during the development so to be honest i've kept away from the forums. I needed to add $20 to my donation to get Beta access according to my account profile and .... nah, i can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom