• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

There's not much to go on, but Little Stone is the developer responsible for the PC port of Valkyria Chronicles, so those various LS-branded "test apps" could be other Sega PC ports.

Resonance-of-Fate-PS3.png

Resonance intensifies (?)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Disliking beloved videogames is overrated.

My Fallout New Vegas completionist playthrough is stalled for the moment as I try to come to terms with how godawful Dead Money is. It's not the radio emitters or the lethargic pace of the story - it's the fact that it's a chore to play through. Every building and intersection look exactly the same, and yet the best outcomes rely on your meticulously exploring every path to do optional objectives for each companion.

According to who?

See, it's useless.

Useless according to who? We can play this game forever and not once reach a destination.

Do we really have to start qualifying everything we say here with IMO or can we accept that natural implication when reading or posting an opinion?

My Fallout New Vegas completionist playthrough is stalled for the moment as I try to come to terms with how gofawful Dead Money is. It's not the radio emitters or the lethargic pace of the story - it's the fact that it's a chore to play through. Every building and intersection look exactly the same, and yet the best outcomes rely on your meticulously exploring every path to do optional objectives for each companion.
Ooooh bro thats the worst dlc between fo3 and nv by a long shot, its a shame too cause it has the most interesting idea too. Get a mod to remove the collar, it helps a lot

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Useless according to who? We can play this game forever and not once reach a destination.

Do we really have to start qualifying everything we say here with IMO or can we accept that natural implication when reading or posting an opinion?
Everything everyone says is a opinion.
imo

tuxfool

Banned

The problem with using comparative words like overrated, implies that there is some set standard on what rating should be. Lots of people don't like the game, so what happens now? Is the game overrated and who is doing the rating.

Ultimately what it boils down to is the poster is saying "too many people like X, and according to me they shouldn't".

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
KrtdLef.png

There are now only 8 hours left to vote in the 3rd annual SteamGAF GOTY awards.
t1453420800z4.png

I currently have votes for 150 of you!
Dsyndrome, The Dear Leader, Henry Swanson, Dio Brando, Stallion Free, Corpekata, Monooboe, ricochetguro, Lain, Kurt Russell, Raxanas, Jawmuncher, AHA-Lambda, dirtywhirlwind, Baron von Loathsome, pahamrick, Tektonic, Turfster, Anteater, spindoctor, texhnolyze, Uraizen, tuxfool, Smash88, TetraxShards, MMBosstones86, Sch1sm, Shantom, Khronico, Stumpokapow, jshackles, Locust, SilentMatthew, Vlad, septicore, Nete, Stronghammer22, yuraya, KingKong, Shadownet, Knurek, Se7enSword, Leafhopper, Iron Badger, Jadax, def ault, Wok, Copons, Maxwood, Messiah, Phinor, cyba89, Large Professor, The_Super_Inframan, ussjtrunks, ctw0e, Haunted, Tizoc, shortsFortallPeople, Dragon1893, Hektor, Atraveller, Chairmanchuck, the_firewithin, fantomena, Rockin' Ranger, Man Puncher, Ludens, Backlogger, Ruruja, PandaPedinte, Black Soma, KenOD, neoemonk, Teggy, thesaucetastic, laserlaser, arbok26, Parsnip, BinaryPort2737, Shalashaska, Adry9, YianGaruga, Baron_Calamity, Gintoki, Amzin, QFNS, Chariot, Kyougar, AsfaeksBR, dot, garath, WinterDemons, zkylon, Kriken, The Red Wizard, Htown, Roboleon, Ozium, Oreoleo, Arthea, spinalscratch, NightmareTrigger, NingenJanai, Yakkue, milena87, Zeknurn, ScreamingTrees, Uzzy, CecilRousso, DillonMabry, electroflame, Widdly Scuds, bigzgod, Japle, TheLetdown, Nillansan, William Bonney, Durante, BernardoOne, fernandes, vermadas, Lomax, gurm3n, Nabs, brau, FiveElementNinja, EmergentFocus, Terra_Ex, Eila, maty, Jazz573, FLD, Flandy, madjoki, pantsattack, bobnowhere, Adnor, LurkerPrime, blackcrane, PetriP-TNT, mrgone, oipic, Jiggaloboy, Mivey, MakeshiftChef, fenners, Maniac, r3n4ud, gelf

Thank you to everyone who has voted so far! The winners will be revealed tonight at 7PM PST (just 3 hours after voting closes) right here in the Steam thread - you won't want to miss it.

If you haven't voted yet, now is the time!

Ooooh bro thats the worst dlc between fo3 and nv by a long shot, its a shame too cause it has the most interesting idea too. Get a mod to remove the collar, it helps a lot

The collars are bad, but they're not the only part. Whoever scripted the frequency of companion chatter fucked up. Every 15-20 seconds, I'd hear Dog say, "Maybe I should rip that collar off you and wear it on my arm," and he never shuts the fuck up. Either due to programming quirks or bugs, Christine often stares at me in this half-grin, like she's the victim of cerebral palsy or something. Dean is such a pussy that he won't stand on a roof and pull some wires unless I get holograms to protect him, even though I killed all of the Ghost People in all of the areas.

It's a shame, because it actually does companion dialogue between missions really well (when you return to the fountain after doing a task, you'll sometimes see two characters talking to each other). It's just that I have no desire to search for the extra weapon mods (which is something I do religiously in every other DLC) and just want to get it over with.

The collars are bad, but they're not the only part. Whoever scripted the frequency of companion chatter fucked up. Every 15-20 seconds, I'd hear Dog say, "Maybe I should rip that collar off you and wear it on my arm," and he never shuts the fuck up. Either due to programming quirks or bugs, Christine often stares at me in this half-grin, like she's the victim of cerebral palsy or something. Dean is such a pussy that he won't stand on a roof and pull some wires unless I get holograms to protect him, even though I killed all of the Ghost People in all of the areas.

It's a shame, because it actually does companion dialogue between missions really well (when you return to the fountain after doing a task, you'll sometimes see two characters talking to each other). It's just that I have no desire to search for the extra weapon mods (which is something I do religiously in every other DLC) and just want to get it over with.

to me the collar was the worst part (there wasn't a mod to remove it when I first played it). The game now punishes you for doing what the the game has encouraged since the first game; exploring. I liked the companions, especially Dog and Christine.

All of the DLC companions so far (of the three I've played, not counting Lonesome Road) have been garbage.

Follows-Chalk: Never shuts the fuck up, tells you you're going the wrong way when you want to explore, comments on random shit and gets really annoying.

Waking Cloud: Also somewhat annoying, but after finding out her husband died, proceeds to tell you all about how she wants you to meet her family, like she's cruising for a new baby daddy or something.

Joshua Graham: Has the tendency to get lit on fire by sword-wielding enemies, which is hilariously bad given his backstory. Randomly disappeared because of a bug during the final mission then reappeared behind me saying "Yessssssss......"

The Dead Money companions are just exaggerated versions of the ones you get in the main game. You have a sarcastic ghoul? We'll give you an even more deadpan one who complains about things! A quirky Nightkin with a split personality disorder? This one is controlled by a command function! The spunky young BoS girl who doesn't take shit from anyone? Now you can recruit the same character, who uses symbols and gestures instead of words!

Grief.exe

I did it

(5 Points) - Kerbal Space Program
(4 Points) - Cities: Skylines
(3 Points) - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
(2 Points) - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(1 Point) - Resident Evil HD

garath

KrtdLef.png

There are now only 8 hours left to vote in the 3rd annual SteamGAF GOTY awards.
t1453420800z4.png

I currently have votes for 150 of you!

Thank you to everyone who has voted so far! The winners will be revealed tonight at 7PM PST (just 3 hours after voting closes) right here in the Steam thread - you won't want to miss it.

If you haven't voted yet, now is the time!

Wow. That was a big jump over the last day. Added almost 80 votes? Very cool. Can't wait to see the results.

The problem with using comparative words like overrated, implies that there is some set standard on what rating should be. Lots of people don't like the game, so what happens now? Is the game overrated and who is doing the rating.

Ultimately what it boils down to is the poster is saying too many people like X, and according to me they shouldn't.

The bolded is exactly what it boils down to. So, the discussion has no reason to be semantic. Or pedantic, depending on your IMO.

"You thought it was overrated? Show me some games from last year with a better soundtrack and more distinctly memorable NPCs."

The question of who is doing the rating and the effectiveness of colloquial terms is superfluous. It either leads us nowhere or to Derrida. Neither of which tell us why Undertale is overrated or why it isn't.

But Life is Strange is overrated.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow. That was a big jump over the last day. Added almost 80 votes? Very cool. Can't wait to see the results.

SteamGAF are a bunch of procrastinators, confirmed. ;)

Seriously though, there's still time to vote and we're about 25 votes down from what we ended up with last year.

Neither of which tell us why Undertale is overrated or why it isn't.

To date, it's the only game I've refunded on Steam. I liked the premise, but got fed up with the grinding to get the "perfect ending" and it being a bit too quirky for its own good.

Not to speak ill of it, but I get tired of the fanbases surrounding the game. I don't need to be told why it's good. I just have no interest in playing it anymore.

(5 Points) - The Witcher 3
(4 Points) - Pillars of eternity
(3 Points) - Age of decedance
(2 Points) - Shadowrun Hong Kong
(1 Point) - Underrail

Buraindo

SteamGAF are a bunch of procrastinators, confirmed. ;)

Seriously though, there's still time to vote and we're about 25 votes down from what we ended up with last year.

It was a really good year and I needed time to decide how to arrange my list. That's my excuse heh. Was too busy playing Rainbow Six: Siege and more recently Darkest Dungeon.

My new GOTY order:
(5 Points) - The Witcher 3
(4 Points) - Tales from the Borderlands
(3 Points) - Pillars of Eternity
(2 Points) - Life is Strange
(1 Point) - Ori and the Blind Forest
Yep, just send me a second PM with your new choices. For simplicity's sake please put "re-vote" (or something similar) in the PM title.
Sent.

1. Rocket League
2. Huniepop (LETS GOOOOOO)
3. Assault Android Cactus
4. Wolfenstein: Old Blood
5. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition

The rest I didn't have the time to play (Mad Max, OlliOlli2, Ronin, Hotline Miami 2) or too disappointing (Fallout 4, Broforce). Sorry. :(

Uzzy

At least post reasons for your GOTY lists so we can have conversation about it. Or else it's almost as useless as my Best Girl 2015 list.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to end up on Nabbs affinity list, you can't put a price on exquisite taste

Kaleinc

Banned
(5 Points) - Dying Light
(4 Points) - Ori and the Blind Forest

Didn't play either but I have high expectations.

1. Rocket League
2. Huniepop (LETS GOOOOOO)
3. Assault Android Cactus
4. Wolfenstein: Old Blood
5. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition

The rest I didn't have the time to play (Mad Max, OlliOlli2, Ronin, Hotline Miami 2) or too disappointing (Fallout 4, Broforce). Sorry. :(
Your number 5 is not eligible.

Nordicus

Paid mods are back in 3, 2, 1 XD
They've been a thing at least since Killing Floor 1 back in 2012 to be honest

Killing Floor - Community Weapon Pack

Straight from the talented community modders of the IJC crew comes the first DLC weapon pack for Killing Floor. Featuring a diverse set of new weapons the Community Weapon Pack brings new game play options for your favorite perks. Best of all the community modders in the IJC crew are going to be making real money from the sale of this pack – a first for the Killing Floor community.

gelf

I should post my vote:
(5 Points) - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(4 Points) - Contradiction - Spot The Liar!
(3 Points) - Resident Evil HD Remaster
(2 Points) - Guilty Gear Xrd
(1 Point) - Undertale

MGSV was a great sandbox to play in, the shear number of ways the game allows you to complete the objectives was a joy to experiment with. It has some downsides with the poor boss fights and the mother base development with all the timers but because they can be mostly ignored I feel the highs of MGSV outweigh any of its flaws and thats why it's my GOTY.

Yeah I went for MGSV, what of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom