• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
And another new ROTTR screenshot:

tumblr_o1blbhBO8y1qkq7tbo1_1280.png

This one looks SO good! One week HYPE!! :D

Holy fuck that looks incredible.

FloatOn

I'm pretty bummed realizing that I have all these games I COULD play but just don't feel compelled to atm

what little time I have for games I just want to spend in rocket league with buds

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm pretty bummed realizing that I have all these games I COULD play but just don't feel compelled to atm

what little time I have for games I just want to spend in rocket league with buds

This is kinda where I've been at since November. Rainbow Six: Siege caught one of my gaming crews by surprise, so all the time I set aside to play Read Only Memories, Trails SC, and a handful of others, was sucked into the black hole.

Dr Dogg

Right then seeing as it's Awards Nights let's have a little warm up before voting has closed and the results come in. Fell free to comment on how awful a human being I am or post your own Not Quite 5 style section as well.

To kick things off in no particular order here's...

5 Games from 2015 I Haven't Played Yet (Despite owning Them)

Dying Light
I picked this up quite cheap from Nuuvem after hearing a fair amount of praise for not just the PC release but the game as well. Though for one reason or another never really got past the first tutorial section. Once I caught wind of the upcoming balance patch and new expansion I kind of put this on hold but definitely high on my priority list for this year.

Aviary Attorney
Since hearing about (and missing the cut off by a day) the Kickstater I have been really looking forward to Aviary Attorney. Sadly the tentative release of June slipped to July, then August, then silence and a few more delays really killed the anticipation and momentum for me. I picked it up on launch but seeing as it was at the tail end of the year I've not even got around to installing it yet let alone playing it but yet another I'm looking forward to starting in 2016.

Undertale
I'll admit I kind of bought this part out of curiosity and part swept up in the word of mouth. Although I've stayed as far away from any talk of this game as possible I think that's also kind of not pushed me to play more than the 30 mins or so that I've messed around with. I think after the dust has settled and I've got some clear free time I'll get stuck in.

Fallout 4
Now this is a bit of a tricky one as this was bought for me as a Christmas present. I wasn't massively keen on this, more over at full price but really I just haven't had the time to get lost in a massive RPG again this year, especially so late in the year. Hopefully by the time I get round to it the Bethesda-jank is cut down to a minimum and there might be some news about what is actually included in the Season Pass.

Her Story
Yet another game that was bought for me as a present. Despite from what I understand not to be a particularly long game it's one I get the idea best played in a certain mindset or at least be patient enough to piece together the story. I do have this installed though and have been meaning to get round to it one weekend as some 'family entertainment' so bit of a shame I didn't pull my finger out before the GOTY voting ended.

Anyhoo I've got a couple more 5 Game That Aren't My GOTY Candidates lists to bore you all to tears with (and I've actually played these and have something worthwhile to say) but I'm juggling about 3 jobs at the mo.

You can put FO4 on hold till mods come out. and by that i mean you can put it on hold for like 2 or so years after mods are out that way there are quest mods and shit cause the game has like no interesting quests and the non repeatable quests are dumb as fuck and boil down to one thing: clear this area. Sometimes they want you to deliver an item to them in said area as well

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at the swamp already, I got to go find the princess whos in the temple at the swamp, they didn't tell me where it was at though, just that dekus go there. wth am I supposed to do with that hint? >_>
Did you talk to the witch sisters? They'll lend you a boat to get to the palace.

FloatOn

three games I should have played in 2015 that I own

Undertale
Alien Isolation
Divinity Original Sin (paid full price even)

and then a whole mess of other games on the backlog

You can put FO4 on hold till mods come out. and by that i mean you can put it on hold for like 2 or so years after mods are out that way there are quest mods and shit cause the game has like no interesting quests and the non repeatable quests are dumb as fuck and boil down to one thing: clear this area. Sometimes they want you to deliver an item to them in said area as well

I never understood why it was so beloved by reviewers. I mean everyone that played the game for more than 10 hours will notice that 90% of sidequests follow the same formula.

I'm at the swamp already, I got to go find the princess whos in the temple at the swamp, they didn't tell me where it was at though, just that dekus go there. wth am I supposed to do with that hint? >_>

first time i talked to the scarecrow he told me to dance to pass by time, didn't want to do it and then during the last day when I attempted to speed up time to go inside the clock tower he just went into hiding, is there a specific day I got to talk to him?

gross

I don't think that it's on a specific day, you just need to keep talking to him. I've spoilered the song anyway and it still works, even if he hasn't told you, so you can use it if you don't want to keep trying to get the dialogue.

In other non-Steam news, ketchup is definitely the only thing worth putting on chips. I'm surprised that doner kebabs aren't as big in America as they are here in the UK. That being said, a doner pizza really is a heart attack in a box so you're not missing out :p

Steamwise, I'm looking forward to another weekend of Dragon's Dogma :D I'll definitely be checking the SteamGaf GOTY results in the morning, on the way to work. Thanks for organising it, jshackles!

I never understood why it was so beloved by reviewers. I mean everyone that played the game for more than 10 hours will notice that 90% of sidequests follow the same formula.

Everything about the game is allllll over the place, but I guess it's superb because it's a Bethesda game or something.

I mean I have had some fun with it in the 40 hours I have played it, and I can see why people would love it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
5 Games from 2015 I Haven't Played Yet (Despite owning Them)

Dying Light
Aviary Attorney
Undertale
Fallout 4
Her Story

I actually played all of these games last year (Aviary Attorney thanks to you, no less) and personally I would put them in order of importance playing:

Her Story - For sure you need to play this one first. Like you said, it's short but also really good.

Aviary Attorney - Also short, and also really good. I got a bit bummed out when I played it because the ending wasn't finished yet. I think it's in there now so it's definitely worth playing if they've finished it. Lots of good writing and of course the artwork is pretty quirky and fun.

Dying Light - A great open-world zombie game, and a great follow up to Dead Island. Personally the game made me motion sick and I had to stop playing, but I really liked the concept and the first few hours of play. The parkour is up there with Mirror's Edge.

Fallout 4 - Still a great game, but New Vegas 2 this is not. An interesting world with a less than interesting plot. Great music although several of the songs are repeats from 3. I was honestly pretty disappointed with this one.

Undertale - I'm probably in the minority here, but I just couldn't bring myself to like this game. It's Earthbound-like qualities only get it so far before I was absolutely bored to tears. I know this game grabbed a lot of people in a lot of different ways, and I will concede that the soundtrack is pretty good, but this game just wasn't for me.

Of course, your individual results may vary. Also,
these are the express written opinions of jshackles and in no way reflect the opinions of SteamGAF as a whole.

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually somehow managed to play most games i wanted to play in 2015

i feel like the ones i've missed out are rocket league and the wasteland 2 director's cut (and well, bloodborne, but i hear u need a special aparatus you hook to your tv to play that thing) but can't say i didn't find enough to love last year, specially later on with undertale, pillars and tales from the boredlands

but yeah rocket league sounds great but not having people i feel like playing with just doesn't make it as immediately appealing as just firing up a game of regular league with my friends. and regular wasteland 2 just left a bad taste in my mouth with its nightmarish ui and having to unlock chests through a billion clicks

NeoRaider

Did they improve the hair engine?

4ub47hl.png

They got the pant simulation right, but they should improve the grass engine at least.

FvXvFsv.png
5I5fudX.png

Yes they did, i think its TressFX 3.0 or PureHair from now on.
And about the grass... they focused more on snow deformation this time i guess. :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Dr Dogg

I actually played all of these games last year (Aviary Attorney thanks to you, no less) and personally I would put them in order of importance playing:

Her Story - For sure you need to play this one first. Like you said, it's short but also really good.

Aviary Attorney - Also short, and also really good. I got a bit bummed out when I played it because the ending wasn't finished yet. I think it's in there now so it's definitely worth playing if they've finished it. Lots of good writing and of course the artwork is pretty quirky and fun.

Dying Light - A great open-world zombie game, and a great follow up to Dead Island. Personally the game made me motion sick and I had to stop playing, but I really liked the concept and the first few hours of play. The parkour is up there with Mirror's Edge.

Fallout 4 - Still a great game, but New Vegas 2 this is not. An interesting world with a less than interesting plot. Great music although several of the songs are repeats from 3. I was honestly pretty disappointed with this one.

Undertale - I'm probably in the minority here, but I just couldn't bring myself to like this game. It's Earthbound-like qualities only get it so far before I was absolutely bored to tears. I know this game grabbed a lot of people in a lot of different ways, and I will concede that the soundtrack is pretty good, but this game just wasn't for me.

Of course, your individual results may vary. Also,
these are the express written opinions of jshackles and in no way reflect the opinions of SteamGAF as a whole.

Hahaha don't worry I'll take your opinions as a good yard stick and promise not to throw a tantrum if they don't meet my own expectations.

Problem is for me, and probably for a lot of us is well,is finding the free time to play a sizeable amount of releases in the calendar year they come out. I finished more games from 2014 and before last year than I did 2015 releases and can only see that being a greater percentage this year as well.

I think with Undertale though is that I'm going to probably go into it with the expectation to be impressed which will no doubt not happen with that attitude. I'm kind of waiting for it not to be the game on a lot of folks lips before I start it as I feel then I might be able to go in fresh and expectation free. That or start it up off my head and see how it goes.

I only have 3 GOTY Picks:

1) (5 Points) The Witcher III: Even if you didn't play any of the previous games, the fact that this is so accessible, does a good job catching people up with the lore of the franchise, is absolutely chockful of quests and story arcs without the expansion, is mature but classy, and features some of the best AAA-production values of any RPG released in the last five years, this is a game that will be remembered for a long time.

2) (4 Points) Broforce, which finally came out of Early Access this year. Feeling like the love-letter to every 8-bit game and action franchise you can think of, there's unparalleled platforming fun. Some of the best platforming mechanics in any game since Super Mario World, an amazing roster of heroes, super-challenging bosses and some of the best co-op gameplay you'll find anywhere. I did several multiplayer runs with Iosefe and others and loved every minute of it.

3) (3 Points) Party Hard: I've spent nearly 70 hours with this game, which is no mean feat. Deceptively simple yet filled with deep game mechanics, the tale of a serial killer looking to wipe out partygoers at various events throughout the U.S. is just as irreverent and funny as it is frustrating and difficult. Random events are bound to occur, partygoers have amusing chatter and it's oh-so-satisfying to get a combo by blowing up a speaker system by a group of people.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Starbreeze to develop new Crossfire game in deal worth $40 million

Swedish outfit Starbreeze have struck a deal with Korean games giant Smilegate that’s worth a few quid indeed. The multi-million dollar trade will see the former develop a first-person co-op shooter based on the latter’s mega popular free-to-play Crossfire. It’ll also see Payday 2 and Overkill’s upcoming The Walking Dead repackaged for eastern markets.

Crossfire, you may or may not know, is probably the most popular first-person shooter in the world boasting six million concurrent players, with a grand total of 500 million players overall. According to the blurb on the Starbreeze website, it’s made a fair wad of cash over the years too - accruing more than $1.3 billion during 2014 alone, much of which came from Chinese players.

Starbreeze - they of 2012’s Syndicate reboot - own Payday 2 devs Overkill, thus the deal will also bring Overkill’s forthcoming The Walking Dead - as well as their popular bank robber ‘em up - to Asian markets.

How exactly will Starbreeze interpret Smilegate’s mega hit? That remains to be seen, but the $40 million deal has been granted on the grounds that the Swedes create and publish a new first-person co-op variation at some point in the next ten years using Starbreeze’s in-house Valhalla engine.

“The Eastern entertainment market has been an enigma for western game developers and vice versa,” says Starbreeze CEO Bo Andersson Klint in a statement. “This in-depth collaboration uniquely positions Starbreeze and Smilegate to bridge the gap between the two markets.

“I am genuinely excited to have the opportunity to work together with the successful, agile and smart team at Smilegate. We will create a powerhouse of a partnership for the next decade."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom