• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to jump through some hoops to attempt to justify either mainstream console currently.

This is coming from someone who typically owns all consoles.

I think the problem nowadays is, that during the 360/Ps3 era, a big change happened. These consoles really became consoles for western games, whereas PS2 was kinda the console for people who like japanese games and more western games were released on PC.

Now the PS4 still has japanese exclusive games, but not as much as during the PS2 era and there seems to be even more on Vita and 3ds, handheld systems.

I was a multi-gamer before the PS4/Xbone. Have a PS3, Vita, 3DS, Wii, Xbox 360, PS2 etc. but right now there really doesnt seem to be enough exclusive content that justifies a purchase for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You have to jump through some hoops to attempt to justify either mainstream console currently.

I had a choice between an Xbox One and a Radeon R9 390X. I picked the graphics card because I knew I would get more use out of it. Also,
Microsoft are a bunch of dicks.

Soulflarz

Banned

As a JRPG fan and someone who acknowledges that too many games simply still don't come to PC, id say buy one console. And if you're buying one for console multiplats, buy a ps4, it runs stuff better.
Overall, ps4 has better exclusives, and a lot more of them that interest me. Obviously if you only play halo or racing games, an xbone might be your route to go.

Also the general fact that countless people prefer to play games on a couch with their console for convenience regardless of price or the fact you can technically run your pc to your tv - whether it be friends or ease of access, many people will always go console regardless.

Rise of the... oh wait. :D
What about Halo and GoW? (I am not a fan)

Isn't GoW ultimate coming to PC?
Lets see- I got MCC a month ago- it's still borked in many ways, and not really justifiable for a console, considering it's moreso ports.
Halo 5 isn't worth your money :/ It kind of messes up the lore badly and isn't too fun as a Halo game.

Forza Horizon 2 is the one exclusive title on Xbox One that I want to play.

There we have it. I need to get this game, thanks for reminding me.

TL;DR if you're not buying handhelds and you have spare money
I'd argue buy a ps4+wii u+PC. Xbone is last because you get the least uniqueness out of it when you own others already.

Lomax

I still think there's a decent shot we may see Rare Replay show up around the same time Killer Instinct does. If so, I'd definitely buy it, even just on the Windows store.

Wok

what gpu do you have? will you be able to get good performance with your current rig?

this reminds me, i should prbly do a giveaway for this game.

AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series, according to Windows Device Manager. It is a PC that I bought like 2-3 years ago.

Edit: Most likely ATI Radeon HD 7770.

sorry but i cannot do anything but laugh at people being marveled over this stuff

high tech pants wrinckles are like the silliest thing to be excited about lol

like literally two pictures of two different high resolution normal maps that probably just get blended :p

like cool if that does anything for u but it sounds so ridiculous to me lol

I looked at the links too.

i'm not ridiculing him, i just find his excitement over high res pants funny

Dude, we are talking about serious stuff here. HIGH RES PANTS! Can you imagine?

I can see how you would not care about the pants, they are not low res enough and don't have any buttshakey dancing in gif form.

Dang. I can still see the GIF when I close my eyes.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Her Story
Yet another game that was bought for me as a present. Despite from what I understand not to be a particularly long game it's one I get the idea best played in a certain mindset or at least be patient enough to piece together the story. I do have this installed though and have been meaning to get round to it one weekend as some 'family entertainment' so bit of a shame I didn't pull my finger out before the GOTY voting ended.

I played through Her Story the other night, and yeah, I think it's best to go in with a lot of patience. The experience might be ruined for you if you're not in the right mood, it's a great game if you're willing to treat it like an actual mystery that needs to be slowly unraveled.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
KrtdLef.png

About 45 minutes remain to vote in this year's SteamGAF GOTY Awards!
t1453420800z4.png

Grief.exe

As a JRPG fan and someone who acknowledges that too many games simply still don't come to PC, id say buy one console. And if you're buying one for console multiplats, buy a ps4, it runs stuff better.
Overall, ps4 has better exclusives, and a lot more of them that interest me. Obviously if you only play halo or racing games, an xbone might be your route to go.

I'll check out the PS4's library in 2017 when it has amassed a decent sized library.

jshackles

We now have more voters than either of the previous years.

brau

Have not been here for that long... but from the vibe that i get the GOTY will go to

Bloodborne
JK. lol. i have no idea. I voted for TW3.

Shadownet

Banned
Then thered be no reason to buy an xbone at all.

Like, at all.

Coming from an xbone owner here.
I agree, if SO come to PC and unless somehow Quantum Break and Scalebound turn out to be amazing. There isn't anything I really want on Xbox One. Yes that included Gears of War 4 and any upcoming Halo games. Those franchises, I think kinda lost their direction.

Now at least with PS4, we still have Uncharted and inevitably The Last of Us 2, The Last Guardian and Horizon Zero Dawn. I'm excited for all of those.

I think someone on GAF said owning a PS4 and PC give you the best chance of experiencing most of the best games you want to play, isn't wrong.

I had a choice between an Xbox One and a Radeon R9 390X. I picked the graphics card because I knew I would get more use out of it. Also,
Microsoft are a bunch of dicks.
$3000 grude, I can see why. How is that going btw? Did you file a complain?

Teggy

I was really excited to become a Sony fan again (was really into the PS2), but surprisingly I like the xbone more. I even like watching tv through it. Sunset Overdrive was my GOTY, but I've actually yet to play I game I love my PS4 for. Infamous if it had been a better game, I guess.

brau

All this rocketleague love is awesome.

You guys play regularly? I would love to get some game time with you guys if you are up for it. Just the other day i booted it up to teach the ropes to a friend of mine.

jshackles

$3000 grude, I can see why. How is that going btw? Did you file a complain?

I filed a notice of dispute with Microsoft Legal. Basically it's a formal complaint that support was unable to resolve my issue. They have 90 days to respond, according to their policy, and it's been just over 30 days now. Not really expecting much, to be perfectly honest.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was sure Ori would be my n°1 pick until I played Undertale

Rocket League... I've had it since it was a PS+ freebie at launch and still haven't touched it

Shadownet

Banned
I filed a notice of dispute with Microsoft Legal. Basically it's a formal complaint that support was unable to resolve my issue. They have 90 days to respond, according to their policy, and it's been just over 30 days now. Not really expecting much, to be perfectly honest.
I know you don't, but I would take them for every penny you deserve. Some BS that you lost your account cause of their incompetence.

oipic

I'm kind of excited by the fact that much of the top ten is likely to form the list of some of my favourite games I'm likely to get and play in 2016-17.

There are some no-brainers (Ori, Witcher 3, LiS etc, plus more relatively obscure stuff like Sunless Sea), that I just know I'm going to click with, and I'm very much looking forward to belatedly picking them up in the next year or two. Very excited to see how you've voted, SteamGAF!

I'm kind of excited by the fact that much of the top ten is likely to form the list of some of my favourite games I'm likely to get and play in 2016-17.

There are some no-brainers (Ori, Witcher 3, LiS etc, plus more relatively obscure stuff like Sunless Sea), that I just know I'm going to click with, and I'm very much looking forward to belatedly picking them up in the next year or two. Very excited to see how you've voted, SteamGAF!

Then you will surely get Way of the Samurai 4, D4 and Contradiction :)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Undertale update seems to include some sort of secret new content

Undertale creator Toby Fox said back in November that it was unlikely that any forthcoming patch “will contain anything other than bugfixes.” And that appeared to be the case with the update that was released on Steam yesterday, which promises to “fix bugs and increase compatibility,” but nothing more. Nonetheless, the sharp-eyed members of the Undertale subreddit have determined that there may be more going on than meets the eye.

“Determined” might be putting it a little strongly, but they certainly seem to have a plausible theory. To make sense of it, if you're not an Undertale veteran, you'll probably want to have a look at Kotaku's summary, which contains some big but necessary spoilers. Essentially—and this will be a spoiler too, so consider yourself warned and look away now if you don't want it blow the surprise, because this is your last chance!—the new content, which includes new dialog and a changed audio file, appears to add the pseudo-mythical character known as Gaster to the game—sort of, anyway.

Prior to this, according to the Undertale Wiki, Gaster's existence was only hinted at by certain in-game characters, and direct references could only be accessed by editing game files. Even now, the odds of actually encountering him are apparently extremely slim—but if the redditors are correct, it can be done.

It sounds like a fairly small thing as additional content goes, but Undertale is an outstanding game—we don't give those Editor's Choice awards to just anyone, you know—in large part because there's a lot more to it than is initially apparent. In that light, this kind of meta-mystery is the perfect way to add even more twists and turns to the game.

Interestingly, Fox seemed to hint at something being hidden away in the update (even as he denied the existence of new content) through a series of tweets he posted yesterday, in which he subtly encouraged players to poke around under the hood. "BTW, just want to clarify, the lack of new content is in no way due to people datamining the game. No hard feelings towards those people," he wrote. "The only reason I tried to get people not to datamine is so fans could experience things before they were found in the code... Anyway, I have no problem with that kind of stuff now. After all, game hacking leads to things like fan translations, which are great."

The patch also fixes bugs of various sorts, as mentioned, but it does not address the problems caused by the latest update to the Steam client beta. If Undertale stops launching after the update, Fox recommended reverting to the standard Steam client.

Pick between WB and K-T as one of the publishers that deliver the best PC-ports.

While K-T delivers bad ports, at least they are trying and learning. Not very quickly but eh.

WB has all the resources and money to deliver at least quality PC ports yet keeps screwing the PC community around with these half-ass shit.

While K-T delivers bad ports, at least they are trying and learning. Not very quickly but eh.

WB has all the resources and money to deliver at least quality PC ports yet keeps screwing the PC community around with these half-ass shit.

Yep, WB can't be excused for the crap they are doing right now. I can understand K-T (and they seem to be improving) but I'll never understand WB

Dr Dogg

Right seeing at the Witching er III hour is near here's my penultimate List of 5...

5 Games From 2015 That Didn't Make the Cut

GTA V
Up until two weeks ago this was in my top 5, in fact it was vying for top spot. But GTA V has had it's 15 minutes not once but twice over the years. For me this was probably the best PC port of last year in terms of scalability across a massive range of hardware and still offering settings and effects that even top end hardware will be given a run for their money. Let's just hope when ever Red Dead Revengance is announced that it doesn't take nigh on 2 years to come to PC.

Resident Evil HD
And after I gave Remastered a shoeing not more than an hour ago. Truth be told REmake is still a great game to this day. Controls might not be to everyone's tastes (even with updated ones too) and it was a shame the source assets were lost to the wind but replaying so many years later was still a great experience that brought back a whole host of memories.

Ori and the Blind Forest
Despite metroidvanias being a bit of a crowed market the past couple of years Ori really did stand out from the crowd with some fantastic aesthetics and surprisingly tight combat and traversal mechanics. Even Unity's wonky framepacing that is so consistent you can rhythmically time when it's got to drop a frame wasn't enough to put a damper on the game. Still one of the better openings of a game last year as well. Other years this would be top 5 for me easily.

Resident Evil Revelations 2
Really this was a bit of a mixed bag of a game. I went in with tempered expectations, especially knowing it was going to be a lower budget affair then mainline Resi but as a whole was pleasantly surprised with the package. Early technical issues aside what really made a big impact for me was actually the episodic release schedule. Releasing new Episodes in a scheduled and timely fashion not only gave me something to look forward to each episode but was great to chat with folks about the previous episode in the OT whilst waiting for the next one to drop. Plus the Raid mode upgrades and characters were pretty swish. I'd love to see Rev 3 build upon this but with a decent budget behind it to really shine.

Life is Strange
I'm sorry SteamGAF, while I do really like LiS it was tough to narrow things down to 5. Sadly this didn't make the cut but hey at least I'm mentioning it here. Considering the monopoly Telltale had on the modern take on adventure games for the past few years seeing Dontnod's approach was actually a breath of fresh air. Granted while not brimming with choices that make a big difference the characters and settings of LiS really did stand out for me. Some great use of music too.

I'm probably going to get lynched now :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's okay LiS dropped in my rankings immediately upon completing it. Having played a game with a more satisfying conclusion not long before certainly didn't help matters.

rtcn63

That reminds me- the damn LED surrounding the Define R4's power button. I had to unplug it after a week, because it would PULSE in stand-by mode.

jshackles

Voting is now closed.

I'll get all the data compiled and everything ready to go soon, I should have the results ready at 7pm PST (approx 3 hours from now). A huge "Thank You" again to all of those that voted and have been participating in the discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom