• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Recommended GPU for ROTTR: @1080p/GTX 970 and @2K/GTX 980 Ti

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-recommended-graphics-cards.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-geforce-gtx-970-recommended

I guess game will be very GPU demanding.

It'd be nice if the article mentioned whether or not TressFX PureHair was enabled. "High settings" is decidedly vague.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, this is amazing. Whishlisted.
sorry but i cannot do anything but laugh at people being marveled over this stuff

high tech pants wrinckles are like the silliest thing to be excited about lol

like literally two pictures of two different high resolution normal maps that probably just get blended :p

like cool if that does anything for u but it sounds so ridiculous to me lol

rtcn63

that's assuming the hair stuff is turned on for the High settings...that could be a Very High or Ultra setting

edit: beaten by Jase

I got ~60fps on the original so I'm crossing my fingers. Even then, I can live with 30. I've had to learn to live with a lot of things.

jdw_b

what gpu do you have? will you be able to get good performance with your current rig?

r9 380

I was joking really,should be alright for decent performance at 1080p. Though I imagine I'll have to turn quite a few things down to get near 60fps

Edit - I've just realised you weren't asking me lol

Parsnip

Bleh. Saying that something runs at 60fps on high with a specific card means nothing when there's no context on the settings. I'm ready either way though.

Annubis

sorry but i cannot do anything but laugh at people being marveled over this stuff

high tech pants wrinckles are like the silliest thing to be excited about lol

like literally two pictures of two different high resolution normal maps that probably just get blended :p

like cool if that does anything for u but it sounds so ridiculous to me lol

No need to ridicule people who enjoy different things in games than you.

Dr Dogg

It'd be nice if the article mentioned whether or not TressFX PureHair was enabled. "High settings" is decidedly vague.

Guess we'll find out on 28th...
For the complete lowdown on Rise of the Tomb Raider be sure to visit GeForce.com on January 28th for our Rise of the Tomb Raider Graphics & Performance Guide.

Can't be worse that TressFX 1.0 which still uses about 40-50% of my GPU grunt even at 2560x1440.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like more and more i'm playing the newer games on low settings now on my gtx 960

i guess it's not that high end of a videocard but i find it a bit surprising since i just bought it like 6 months ago

even ass flag i had to turn a lot of things all the way down to low because of random slowdowns.

most games still look super pretty tho, so i don't mind much

No need to ridicule people who enjoy different things in games than you.
i'm not ridiculing him, i just find his excitement over high res pants funny

brau

r9 380

I was joking really,should be alright for decent performance at 1080p. Though I imagine I'll have to turn quite a few things down to get near 60fps

Edit - I've just realised you weren't asking me lol

hehe. i figured you knew what to expect since you said 720.

Dr Dogg

Y'all change your tune next Friday when you've got to use Uplay if you want to play The Division beta. Then you'll see Uplay is the hero we need.

The 28th is release day, so that goes without saying. ;) Here's hoping for an early unlock in Asia and not a repeat of JC3's worldwide release.

I'm still waiting on my keys from GMG :(

They've usually been on the dot with keys but the few times they've got them from the pub after the game had unlocked on Steam and I was left twiddling my thumbs hours later were Squenix titles.

NeoRaider

I'm still waiting on my keys from GMG :(

They've usually been on the dot with keys but the few times they've got them from the pub after the game had unlocked on Steam and I was left twiddling my thumbs hours later were Squenix titles.

They usually send them on release day right? Or day before.
I wonder will there be pre-load on Steam.

Dr Dogg

They usually send them on release day right? Or day before.
I wonder will there be pre-load on Steam.

Depends on the publisher really. I got me RE0HD key a couple of days before and usually do with Capcom titles and as you say most stuff with a preload they get keys to you advance. Battlefront keys were delivered after the game released but then again they weren't exactly from EA where as RotTR definitely states their source is Square Enix.

Parsnip

i'm not ridiculing him, i just find his excitement over high res pants funny
I can see how you would not care about the pants, they are not low res enough and don't have any buttshakey dancing in gif form.
Y'all change your tune next Friday when you've got to use Uplay if you want to play The Division beta. Then you'll see Uplay is the hero we need.

It's weird but my interest level to the game is pretty much close to zero, but I'm super duper interested in Snowdrop.
And I'm hoping that it's good and smartly built engine that scales to all kinds of games and that they'll start using it on AC games in a few years.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
w-wait, do i have to PM it to you or can i post it in the thread?

Yes, you need to PM me your picks so I can tally them

You have this much time left:
t1453420800z4.png

tuxfool

Banned

Never. I've installed Uplay once. After I was done with it I said never again.

So it was that I never touched another Ubisoft title ever again.

Lomax

I think Rocket League may challenge Witcher 3 for number one, I'd bet it's gotten a higher percentage of number one votes than any other game.

Dr Dogg

Right then time for another 5 Nights at Freddy's Titles Gone By. This time it's...

5 Games I Played in 2015 That Aren't on Steam (Yet!)

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Now this one we know will be on Steam, in less than a week in fact. While more of an evolution than a revolution of TR13 what Rise does expand on is some of the areas where I felt it's predecessor was lacking, mainly in the exploration and the tombs department. Story is still a by the numbers affair but thankfully it severed the game well enough and didn't get in the way. Read my recommendation in the OP if you want something a bit more long winded as to what I thought.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
The reason Fallout 4 didn't get a look in was this mammoth game. By the time i had finished the critical path I had clocked in about 105 hours and there was still plenty let to do and explore. XBX is really like the offline (and online too) MMO I've been wanting for ages. Combat was a bit clunky at first and it felt like a while for the game to start opening up but it had a wonderful sense of pace that just as I felt my attention span starting to wander the game would throw something new at me that made it feel fresh again. Speaking of fresh...

Splatoon
Oh the hours I've lost to Splatoon. Even when moving house and having not internet I got stuck into the single player which surprisingly had some of the best boss encounters I've seen in a shooter in a very long time (not hard but required a bit of though other than the standard 'shoot the dudes till they're dead' dealio). Who'd have though that Nintendo of all companies, who never really got online would produce one of the most polished online shooters I've ever played. Great match making, good support with frequent content updates and a nice slant on community engagement and events to keep up player engagement. Really can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves for the NX and online.

Rare Replay
Now I'm not a big fan of remasters, not the idea just the execution is usually sub par to my expectations. While there are some decent examples they usually get farmed out to the separate developer who really don't give the title(s) enough care and/or attention to make the most of the new platform they are bringing them too. Rare Replay on the other hand has set a incredibly high bar in terms of not just quality and quantity of content but the amount of love that went into this collection oozes out of every pour. Not only do you have 30 games stretching 33 years and countless systems but you also have concept art galore and some really insightful behind the scenes videos and interviews recorded specifically for the collection from the folks at Rare past and present. You can really tell these titles meant a lot to those who made them. If MS bring this to PC at some point it's really worth checking out if you've a passing interest in Rare of old and a must have for fans of the studio.

Super Mario Maker
I'm not one for ranking what I enjoy but if I had to pick just one title from 2015 then head and shoulders above everything else it's Super Mario Maker. On paper this shouldn't be that big of a deal, it's just 2D Mario mod tools and a level editor but oh that satisfaction you get when you've made a right bastard of a level that you're friends are getting so frustrated with is something else. I kind of felt that 2D Mario was getting a bit stale and running out of ideas as of the NSMB WiiU release but Mario Maker has not only rejuvenated my love of the 2D platformer it's put the tools in my hand to pretty much make an endless supply of them. I have no idea when I'll tire of this game but it will be a very sad day indeed.

titch

Surprised no-one mentioned a munchy box

Ontopic

Still considering adding my tuppenceworth to the steamgaf 2015 but so many good games that ive not played yet im not sure if i deserve a vote lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd buy a PC port of Rare Replay in an instant on Steam, if just for the Viva Pinata games.

brau

I wish Sunset Overdrive was on Steam :/

Yes please. I am still a firm believer that most MS heavy hitters will eventually make it to pc with the whole win10 and dx support. It would be awesome to see SO be one of them.

Surprised no-one mentioned a munchy box

Ontopic

Still considering adding my tuppenceworth to the steamgaf 2015 but so many good games that ive not played yet im not sure if i deserve a vote lol

That looks yummy. I have a card and a phone, how do i get one of those?

titch

Yes please. I am still a firm believer that most MS heavy hitters will eventually make it to pc with the whole win10 and dx support. It would be awesome to see SO be one of them.

That looks yummy. I have a card and a phone, how do i get one of those?

Order transport to glasgow and head out to almost any takeaway shop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom