• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommended GPU for ROTTR: @1080p/GTX 970 and @2K/GTX 980 Ti

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-recommended-graphics-cards.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-geforce-gtx-970-recommended

I guess game will be very GPU demanding.

Well shit.
I guess I'll max it out at 1080p 30fps again this time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm sorry SteamGAF, while I do really like LiS it was tough to narrow things down to 5. Sadly this didn't make the cut but hey at least I'm mentioning it here. Considering the monopoly Telltale had on the modern take on adventure games for the past few years seeing Dontnod's approach was actually a breath of fresh air. Granted while not brimming with choices that make a big difference the characters and settings of LiS really did stand out for me. Some great use of music too.

I'm probably going to get lynched now :(
gmP0qAm.gif

ZtQ3NFE.gif

Dsyndrome

Probably nothing unless people were moving votes around. Life is Strange MAYBE, since a lot of this thread seems to have played it.

The ending killed it for me. People said it was different than Telltale, but when it still comes to a binary choice and gives the "_% chose this" Telltale-style, overall I couldn't put it in my top 5. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as other stuff.

Jawmuncher

The ending killed it for me. People said it was different than Telltale, but when it still comes to a binary choice and gives the "_% chose this" Telltale-style, overall I couldn't put it in my top 5. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as other stuff.

Same feelings as well. The ending really took away from it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm going to try to drop some interesting figures in here without giving anything away, which I'll admit will be tough.

In 2013, there were a total of 158 games represented.
In 2014, there were a total of 150 games represented.
In 2015, there were a total of 131 games represented.

Let the speculation continue!

Jawmuncher

I'm going to try to drop some interesting figures in here without giving anything away, which I'll admit will be tough.

In 2016, there were a total of 100 games represented.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Why Former Sony Online Boss Doesn't Like Microtransactions

John Smedley shares his thoughts on the popular and controversial business model.

Hero's Song, the next game from former Sony Online/Daybreak boss John Smedley and his new studio Pixelmage Games, will not include any microtransactions, the executive confirmed as part of a recent Reddit AMA. In fact, the plan right now is that every game developer Pixelmage makes will be without micropayment systems.

"There will be zero selling of any microtransactions in any Pixelmage Games game including Hero's Song. So no--no power will ever be sold period. Earn it," Smedley said.

Asked to elaborate on why he is so against microtransactions, a system employed by games big and small across the industry, Smedley said microtransaction systems can "change the feeling of development."

"I don't like microtransactions because I worked on too many games with them," he explained, potentially referencing games like H1Z1, PlanetSide 2, and DC Universe Online. "They change the feeling of development to one where you feel like you have to worry about the business instead of the gameplay. That leads to tons of compromises. I hated that.

"I also hated defending stuff we did to make money to our players.. because they're right.. they know we spent too much time focusing on that stuff."

Also during the AMA, Smedley said Hero's Song, a 2D role-playing game, would have never been possible at Daybreak. He said he's had the idea for the game in his head "for a lot of my gaming career," but didn't say anything more about why it wouldn't have worked out at Daybreak.

Smedley also reiterated that part of the reason why he left Daybreak was because of his public clash with hackers.

"I was also under some pretty heavy attack by hackers, and I'm not going to say that didn't enter into the equation [to leave Daybreak]," Smedley said. "I don't like having my co-workers having to deal with that."

Pixelmage has launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund Hero's Song, asking for $800,000 to finish the game. The studio has also raised more than $1 million in private funding and has partners lined up to provide extra money if need be.

At press time, the Hero's Song Kickstarter has raised around $74,000 from more than 1,700 backers. The final game is scheduled to launch for PC in October 2016, though a pre-release beta is planned.

Undertale is great, but it isn't the equivalent of 131 games, jshackles.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

2015 was definitely shittier overall compared to the other 2 years as far as what I played and finished.

Annubis

I'd say that means that a dozen or so titles populated heavily the votes instead of multiple smaller entries.

How about the number of voters?

Mr. Doop

Shit, I forgot to vote. I don't think I even played five new PC games this year.

Dr Dogg

Well seeing as I can't change it now here's my top 5.

My Top 5 Steam Games From 2015
In no particular order although I had to capitulate and rank them in my vote :(
You're all special snowflakes to me

AssCreed Syndicate
If you know me this is an absolute no brainier. AssCreed in London? When I heard the leak my heart skipped a beat even if at the time I was still bitterly disappointed with Unity. Not only is it by far and away the most fun I've had exploring a city in AssCreed it probably has the cast I find the most fun yet balanced. Jacob it a bit of a wally but Evie is his perfect foil but without each other they wouldn't come across like they do. As someone with an older sister the dynamic between the twins was so spot on I couldn't wait to hear the next interplay between the two or she how Evie would clean up Jacob's mess from the past mission.

TIS-100
3 weeks ago I had forgotten this even existed (and then it was not at the forefront of my mind) but with talk about it in this thread and taking a punt on it TIS-100 has become an addiction ever since I bought it. Zachtronics have always made games I've enjoyed but with TIS-100 there isn't a layer on top of the core mechanic like SpaceChem's illusion of Chemistry. TIS-100 is programming straight up that with each puzzle teaches you new approaches that really help as your progress. Even more so is the leaderboards which really help spur you on to optimising your programs to beat your friends scores. You might think this is only here because it's fresh in my memory but I get the feeling this game is a keeper for a very, very long time.

Rocket League
An absolute belter of a game that is probably one of the best online games at the moment you can play with friends or complete randoms. Premise is simple it's football but with cars, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! There's been some great support from the devs and the netcode is surprisingly good even with stupidly high ping numbers. Only thing this game is missing is custom online league play but I get the feeling Rocket League is going to be around for a long time to come.

Pillars of Eternity
Considering how much I pledged on their crowdfunding I had high hopes for Obsidian and Project Eternity. Thankfully they were more than met and just going through the bevy of digital nick nacks I've got you can really see the amount of detail gone into the world. While I've still to finish the game what I've seen and played so far is right up their with the best cRPG I've played ever. I'd probably say it has one of the, if not THE, best implementation of real time with pause combat that rewards positioning and a tactical approach and punishing impatient and sloppy play. And while Chris Avellone might have had a smaller role in the game he still writes the best RPG companions bar none.

The Witcher III
I was looking at my Steam library the other day and I noticed that I purchased The Witcher III on 7th June 2014. Waiting close to a year for a preorder to drop was excruciating but the wait was more than worth it. The first week playing this I lost all track of time and all I could think of at work was about The Witcher III. It says a lot when even incidental sidequests can have more depth and even better writing and decision making than some critical paths of other recent RPGs. I played Dragon Age Inquisition around Christmas and the gulf in quality between that and The Witcher III is mind boggling. What's more while CDPR haven't exactly excelled at combat in their past titles at the right moments it can be exhilarating like a character action game. Even the multitude of bugs, glitches and more crashes than I've had with a game in decades could tarnish my experience which I guess says a lot for the content here.

Kriken

And not a single one will be Bloodborne I bet

Dsyndrome

And not a single one will be Bloodborne I bet

He said they weren't a good deal into voting, hopefully that didn't change.

I was originally going to say Bloodborne was my GOTY across everything, but looking back, W3 captured me moreso over the past year. Both are great games though.

Anno

Pillars of Eternity (Steam GOTY in a just world) 3.0 beta patch notes are up and the beta is live if people want to check it out.

Highlights:
  • New content for the Stronghold that has you, as lord or lady of Caed Nua, decide the fate of your vassals and send your companions on new and exciting adventures.
  • There is also a new quest line that allows you to defend your claim to Caed Nua (will be released in 3.0 final).
  • Knockout Injuries have been added as an option for those that want it. Injuries are added to characters that are knocked out in battle and are only removed by resting.
  • Story Time mode has been added. This difficulty setting is for people that want to experience the Pillars of Eternity story without having to build a party of adventurers focused on combat.
  • Athletics has been revamped so that it allows characters to cast Second Wind. A powerful healing ability. A higher Athletics skill increases the size of the heal.
  • Survival now grants rest bonuses. A higher Survival skill will unlock more rest bonuses or increase the strength of existing bonuses.
  • Many new creatures have been added to the Bestiary.
  • The Action Bar has been reorganized so that it is easier for players to see their Per Encounter, Per Rest, and Watcher abilities.
  • The end of the game (Act 3 and second half of Od Nua) has been revised to remove the number of "trash" encounters and increase their difficulty.
  • A high level scaling option has been included for anyone that enters Act 3 at a high level.

I'm sure a ton of people voted for Way of the Samurai 4

PC gaming is dying obviously.

:)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really excited for the GOTY reveal. Two hours to go!

Gotta jump offline and run some errands/eat but I'll be back soon with the results.

oipic

Pillars of Eternity (Steam GOTY in a just world) 3.0 beta patch notes are up and the beta is live if people want to check it out.

Story time mode! I know it's soft, and it'll likely alienate me from the cRPG die-hards, but I might just play it this way.

I backed Pillars back in the day, but I've not had the time to get stuck into it properly (would've loved to have voted for it, but I've spent more time in the character creator than anything else).

This might give me an opening to tackle it finally - I tend to get overwhelmed with analysis paralysis in RPGs when allocating skill points etc due to fears that I just plain suck at the combat aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom