• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

I actually feel like most cRPG diehards are now old enough with little enough time that Storytime appeals to them lol

Obsidian also posted a cool live version of the PoE main theme, AKA Best New Song of 2015.

Vamphuntr

I forgot I even played Pillars last year.

It was pretty good but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I'm hoping the expansion add more depth to the combat and that they design better encounters than let's put 12 enemies in a room. I was hoping to get Baldur's Gate 2 and instead got Baldur's Gate with the design encounter from Icewind Dale 1. Compared to Watcher's Keep and Durlag's Tower Caed Nua was a big disappointment. It was still better than most thing I played this year but I really don't care about rankings and top X anymore.

I didn't vote this year, but mostly because I don't think I played many (or any) new PC games that were released on Steam in 2015. Mostly catching up on 2014 or earlier releases on the cheap, or playing Blizzard games.

2016 seems real nice though. I've already got Darkest Dungeon, and pre-ordered XCOM 2. Those along with the plethora of other amazing-looking games that are coming out should have me voting at the end of this year. Should be getting a new PC sometime this year as well, so I can handle heavy-hitters like The Witcher 3 that I've passed on for lack of GPU.

Annubis

I actually feel like most cRPG diehards are now old enough with little enough time that Storytime appeals to them lol

Obsidian also posted a cool live version of the PoE main theme, AKA Best New Song of 2015.

What's up with that Violin lady on the left (red bag on chair) not following the bow strokes like everyone else.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I'm really looking forward to replaying the game once the second half of the White March is released
and gets a decent discount

Hopefully the second half is better than the first. The first half is fun, but it pales in comparison to the main game, especially the expansion's main quest.

And I feel like I might actually start a second playthrough of the game later this year.

Uzzy

Here's how I voted, as I'm sure you're all dying to find out.

ss_71b4567a821204154cb8439fb13163b5629f6bfa.jpg

5th Place: Satellite Reign - A stunningly gorgeous city that just oozes cyberpunk out of every pore, on every rain and neon and chrome soaked street. I completely fell in love with the artstyle, and the killer soundtrack featuring Perturbator and Protector 101 just added to the wonderful ambiance. The gameplay had quite a lot of variety to it, and you're rewarded for experimenting in coming up with solutions for the problems and missions you face.

ss_d2fa7284b9610be9655700c6fa60bf44f7affce8.jpg

4th Place: SOMA - Meditations on the nature of consciousness aren't unusual in sci fi, but even with it being a well travelled theme, it's still one of my favourite things to explore in any form of media. Anything that encourages me to get my philosophy books off the shelf is mana from heaven. I just adored the main story, all those ghosts in the machines running around a ruined research facility. The story and atmosphere were really top notch, and it was surprising to me how the worst part of this game proved to be the monsters, who occasionally got in the way of the joy I felt just exploring the environments and figuring out what had gone on in the world. Still, that was a minor issue, except for a level towards the end of the game.

ss_25fae465915c2f224fbb954d891a3c6627182646.jpg

3rd Place: Pillars of Eternity - I've been waiting 13 years for a new infinity engine game, and this was everything I hoped it would be. Fantastic RPG experience, and it helps keep my favourite developers, Obsidian, open for another year! Just every improvement they made to the infinity engine formula worked spectacularly, especially in combat, traversal and dialogue options. I'm very excited to see where the game and engine goes from here.

ss_b74d60ee215337d765e4d20c8ca6710ae2362cc2.jpg

2nd Place: Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt - Probably the best game released last year, and probably one of the finest experiences ever put into a video game. Witcher 3 is such a huge game, full of amazing quests, dialogue, characters, areas, environments.. the list goes on. Other open world games tend to suffer in terms of quality, but the Witcher 3 has quality almost universally, with some truly outstanding moments like the Bloody Baron quest. It even somehow finds space to fit in the best card game in all video games. Amazing game, and well deserving of the 1st place it'll get in SteamGAF's GOTY awards.

maxresdefault.jpg

1st Place: Life is Strange - SHOCKING NEWS. Life is Strange isn't perfect. Far from it. It's got some pretty big flaws really. The dialogue can be rather dodgy at times, sounding very much like the product of middle aged Frenchmen, rather than authentic teen dialogue from the Pacific Northwest. Graphically there's not a lot to cheer about, though the art style is nice, and some of the facial animations can be lacking. As for the ending, well that's polarising at best (though the people saying it's as bad as Mass Effect 3's ending are straight up delusional).

But you know what. That doesn't matter. Because what Life is Strange gets right it gets so right that it becomes 2015's most essential game. It may hit story beats from movies like Donnie Darko, The Breakfast Club and The Butterfly Effect, but those movies are awesome, and Life is Strange feels like a cult indie movie in video game form. The focus on characters and interactions with them is a wonderful touch, and I loved every single one of them. The moments of stillness where you get to pause and reflect on what's going on, or lie in bed with your best friend listening to a track on the stereo, were some of the best moments of gaming in 2015 for me. Stillness is incredibly underused, and actually having the chance to pause and reflect on events was a revelation.

Life is Strange is about the characters. It's about visiting Kate Marsh in her room. Twice. It's about going for a swim with Chloe, then pressing a button next to Chloe's bed. It's about dealing with Warren, and dealing with the cool kids in their oh so cool clique and finding out that beneath the initial impressions, there might just be something more there to uncover. It's about the bullshit of teen drama feeling like the most important thing in the world, and how that affects them when suddenly it is the most important thing in the world. It's about domestic violence, bullying, social exclusion and loss. It's about real issues and by focusing on those and seeing what they did to characters I felt emotionally attached to (thanks to great performances, especially from Ashly Burch), it left me a completely broken wreck on multiple occasions.

It's the most human game I've played in years, and is my favourite game of 2015.

Anno

Here's how I voted, as I'm sure you're all dying to find out.

You're a good person for giving a shout out to Satellite Reign. It was #5 on mine as well until Life is Strange came in and bumped it. Most Cyberpunk 2015 for sure.

Uzzy

You're a good person for giving a shout out to Satellite Reign. It was #5 on mine as well until Life is Strange came in and bumped it. Most Cyberpunk 2015 for sure.

Yeah, I was considering between it and Metal Gear Solid V, but I just couldn't leave out the best Cyberpunk game of last year.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the second half is better than the first. The first half is fun, but it pales in comparison to the main game, especially the expansion's main quest.

And I feel like I might actually start a second playthrough of the game later this year.

I've heard some disappointing things about the first half, so I'm hoping the second half is better. Obsidian probably received plenty of feedback from the first half.

Teggy

So many colours

Don't let them get you down, I think this looks cool. My keyboard is definitely the weakest link in my setup. My plan is put all my credit card rewards toward a video card upgrade this year, but I think I need to think about getting a nice keyboard too.

fertygo

So much love for Western VN that ripping off various japanese hits VN

More devs should try to copy that, peeps will love it because its not animu

I beat Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. Overall I liked the game, it was pretty fun. Wasn't a fan of the evilish island though with the purple monsters everywhere, that part was just a real pain in the ass, also the last dungeon where you had to run on top of the spikes, that was super frustrating. Didn't get the true ending since I didn't bother collecting all the dark magic, fuck that. Just googled that ending instead, i liked it :)

Well if Tecmo Koei can go through the hassle for some costumes, I don't think there should be much in the way for capcom at this point aside from money.

Costumes =/= "Hey can we reissue this game on another platform that didn't perform well because it was only on the Wii? Also it has Gatchaman characters that aren't the current Gatchaman you are promoting."

Money wise.

Jawmuncher

Costumes =/= "Hey can we reissue this game on another platform that didn't perform well because it was only on the Wii? Also it has Gatchaman characters that aren't the current Gatchaman you are promoting."

Money wise.

You still have to get the rights for costumes. Though yes you wouldn't need the music, voices, or anything else. Also I don't see Tatsunoko being that dense about the Gatchaman especially for a rerelease.

You still have to get the rights for costumes. Though yes you wouldn't need the music, voices, or anything else. Also I don't see Tatsunoko being that dense about the Gatchaman especially for a rerelease.

You never know man. Japan.

I'd take it... never had a wii, but it looked marvel-ish, so I'd be willing to give it a go on Steam.

It was better and more fun than whatever that mess is that is MvC3/UMvC3, imo.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just realized... what time zone is jshackles in?
Because it's been 7 for a while here =P

It's 5:50pm here right now. Gonna grab a bite to eat then I'll be ready to start in about an hour's time.

Parsnip

I'm going to try to drop some interesting figures in here without giving anything away, which I'll admit will be tough.

In 2013, there were a total of 158 games represented.
In 2014, there were a total of 150 games represented.
In 2015, there were a total of 131 games represented.

Let the speculation continue!

Surprising to me that 2014 had more than 2015. For me 2014 was a really crappy year and I barely managed to get a top 5 together at all, whereas 2015 was excellent and I had a lot of trouble actually narrowing the list down to just 5.

Edit: Also after I realized that The Witness is just around the corner, I remembered that I actually didn't entirely finish Talos Principle yet, so I did that just now, the third ending that is. It's great.
I still have the DLC left.

Also it looks like I'll be sleeping through the GOTY countdown as usual, Witcher 3 for the win.

heres my votes that i didn't submit:

1) witcher 3
this game is as close to a perfect rpg as I've ever seen. this game is what games with choices that matter should take notes on cause cd project red nailed it.

2) witcher 3 hearts of stone
now i didn't play this but more witcher is always good news cause no one loses in that scenario

3) Gwent
the best card game to come out in 2015, now is it easy to beat the npcs? yes. doesn't change the fact that its still the best card game of that year. project red should do us all a favor and make this into a seprate game. like balance it out and add more cards and you got yourself a sale my friend!

4) witcher 3 new game +
now you can play the game all over again but keep all your skills. uhhhh, yes please.

5) undertale
its iight.

Dsyndrome

I want to play something but the anticipation and suspense are too intriguing for GOTY. Not in a validation kind of way, but it's fun to see lists. Doubt that there's much if any fanboyism with the results, people are good for the most part here.

Surprising to me that 2014 had more than 2015. For me 2014 was a really crappy year and I barely managed to get a top 5 together at all, whereas 2015 was excellent and I had a lot of trouble actually narrowing the list down to just 5.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some effect of the GAF hive mind mentality. There's definitely a few games around here that tend to get rabid support, which leads to more people playing them and liking them.

Combine that with voting rules (I alone would've had 3 different games in my list, potentially.

The no remasters and EA rules kinda fuck it up for some games being represented. :)

r3n4ud

I want to play something but the anticipation and suspense are too intriguing for GOTY. Not in a validation kind of way, but it's fun to see lists. Doubt that there's much if any fanboyism with the results, people are good for the most part here.
Well, I dunno man. Take a look at the post above yours, seems to be slightly biased ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom