• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

Surprising to me that 2014 had more than 2015. For me 2014 was a really crappy year and I barely managed to get a top 5 together at all, whereas 2015 was excellent and I had a lot of trouble actually narrowing the list down to just 5.

2014 was great for every platform except xbox and playstation. We had a rejuvenation of the CRPG and 4x genres, it's when this run of JRPG ports on steam really took off, Nintendo absolutely killed it that year. Plus solid indie offerings like Shovel Knight. It's weird how peoples' disappointment with the new consoles created the narrative that the year was terrible overall, even here on steamgaf where they should have absolutely nothing to do with our goty votes.

Is it too early to celebrate the true GotY?

W3? nah, we all know it won anyways

also remasters and EA games shouldn't count anyways. EA games aren't complete(for all you know the final product can be totally different and you might not even like it anymore) and remasters are old games.

W3? nah, we all know it won anyways

also remasters and EA games shouldn't count anyways. EA games aren't complete(for all you know the final product can be totally different and you might not even like it anymore) and remasters are old games.
Hm, I get your view but even if a remaster changes/adds content?

Dsyndrome

EA games shouldn't count since they're not released, but saying remasters don't count is biased. If a game is legitimately a GOTY candidate (released, but not the bullshit Arkham Knight re-release) and enough people vote for it, it should be able to be represented. If enough people vote for it, then why shouldn't it be GOTY? Not like there's going to be a reddit or 4chan push for it anyway.

I'm either way on Origin/uPlay only games.

Parsnip

2014 was great for every platform except xbox and playstation. We had a rejuvenation of the CRPG and 4x genres, it's when this run of JRPG ports on steam really took off, Nintendo absolutely killed it that year. Plus solid indie offerings like Shovel Knight. It's weird how peoples' disappointment with the new consoles created the narrative that the year was terrible overall, even here on steamgaf where they should have absolutely nothing to do with our goty votes.

It was a crappy year for me personally, gaf as a whole and/or consoles had nothing to do with it.

Dark Souls 2 and Shovel Knight are the only games on my top 5 2014 that I felt really good about putting on that list. Guacamelee STCE, while still a great game, is a 3rd release of that great game. And then I topped my list with kind of terrible and boring Shadow of Mordor and aggressively average Lords of Shadow 2.

It was that kind of year.

Dsyndrome

It was a crappy year for me personally, gaf as a whole and/or consoles had nothing to do with it.

Dark Souls 2 and Shovel Knight are the only games on my top 5 2014 that I felt really good about putting on that list. Guacamelee STCE, while still a great game, is a 3rd release of that great game. And then I topped my list with kind of terrible and boring Shadow of Mordor and aggressively average Lords of Shadow 2.

It was that kind of year.

It's OK, Dragon Age: Inquisition was my #2, didn't remember that it wasn't on Steam, and in retrospect it could have been tons better.

Tenrius

Some random Steam-related thoughts:

1. Homeworld Remastered still sucks major ass. Homeworld 1 is among my favorite games of all time and the remaster is tragically borked. Finished it in late December and... yeah. People experiencing Homeworld for the first time this way will probably enjoy it, but they won't know what they are missing. Also this PC Gamer review is incompetent: http://www.pcgamer.com/homeworld-remastered-review/. Looks like the reviewer didn't even touch the first game. It's important to note, however, that the Deserts of Kharak guys have nothing to do with this travesty, are (in part) the original developers of the game and will be responsible for potential Homeworld 3, so do support them!

1a. As to what's actually broken, it's the way the game works. Homeworld 1 had actual ballistics, so every ship, rocket, asteroid, bullet and whatever was a physical object existing in 3D space. That meant that, for example, a shot fired from a rotating turret on a moving ship would move differently from a shot fired from a still turret on a ship that doesn't move. There were a lot of tricks based on those mechanics, an intricate balance, which made various squadron formations and "tactics" very important. Most ship types ultimately mattered. There were entire missions based on the mechanics (taking place in asteroid fields). Homeworld 2, on the other hand, ditched all of that in favor of a new, purely RNG-based system. In that game, a hit or miss was decided by a dice roll, not actual physics. This is the system the HW1 remaster uses because it runs on the HW2 engine. It completely destroys the balance (basically, whoever has the toughest armor and the biggest guns wins, meaning strike craft is useless) and also breaks the asteroid missions (the ships just try to fly through the asteroids and get blown up).

1b. The latest patch seems to "fix formations". I haven't played the game since Jan 1, but my understanding is that it's impossible to fix the game because it's still the same inferior HW2 engine. It is, however, possible to imitate formations without making them actually work, so that's what the patch probably does.

1c. For some reason, HW1 Remastered has the HW2 tutorial. It's weird, because the ships are completely different in that game, as well as the well you control them (squadrons vs. individiual strike craft).

2. It's about time for Kentucky Route Zero Ep. 4. It was reported to be nearly complete in later November. However, I'm willing to wait however long it takes to finish it (AND Ep. 5).

3. Descent: Freespace is fantastic. I still prefer Wing Commander for its adventure-y aspect, but this game is awesome. Think PS2 Ace Combat in space, basically: similar approach to storytelling, equally accessible.

4. Mixed feeling on Mad Max. On one hand, it looks and feels pretty damn nead. But the whole game seems to be doing the same four things over and over in largely identical ways, so I dunno. Reminds me of Assassin's Creed 1 in that regard.

Woah, look at how much I typed. Haven't posted here in a while lol and that thing with Homeworld is really bothering me.

Grief.exe

1. Homeworld Remastered still sucks major ass. Homeworld 1 is among my favorite games of all time and the remaster is tragically borked. Finished it in late December and... yeah. People experiencing Homeworld for the first time this way will probably enjoy it, but they won't know what they are missing. Also this PC Gamer review is incompetent: http://www.pcgamer.com/homeworld-remastered-review/. Looks like the reviewer didn't even touch the first game. It's important to note, however, that the Deserts of Kharak guys have nothing to do with this travesty, are (in part) the original developers of the game and will be responsible for potential Homeworld 3, so do support them!

1a. As to what's actually broken, it's the way the game works. Homeworld 1 had actual ballistics, so every ship, rocket, asteroid, bullet and whatever was a physical object existing in 3D space. That meant that, for example, a shot fired from a rotating turret on a moving ship would move differently from a shot fired from a still turret on a ship that doesn't move. There were a lot of tricks based on those mechanics, an intricate balance, which made various squadron formations and "tactics" very important. Most ship types ultimately mattered. There were entire missions based on the mechanics (taking place in asteroid fields). Homeworld 2, on the other hand, ditched all of that in favor of a new, purely RNG-based system. In that game, a hit or miss was decided by a dice roll, not actual physics. This is the system the HW1 remaster uses because it runs on the HW2 engine. It completely destroys the balance (basically, whoever has the toughest armor and the biggest guns wins, meaning strike craft is useless) and also breaks the asteroid missions (the ships just try to fly through the asteroids and get blown up).

1b. The latest patch seems to "fix formations". I haven't played the game since Jan 1, but my understanding is that it's impossible to fix the game because it's still the same inferior HW2 engine. It is, however, possible to imitate formations without making them actually work, so that's what the patch probably does.

I've never had a detailed explanation for why the rerelease is considered so terrible for long time fans. I now understand the issue.

That seems like something that was decided from the offset and is likely now almost impossible to fix. Truly unfortunate that they didn't start with the Homeworld 1 engine as the base.
2014 had Dragon Age, it was a good year.

E9ixyCY.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This year's #10 game....

scored 24 points LESS than last year's #10 game.

Reveal coming soon, stay tuned!

Nice write-ups from Dr Dogg and Uzzy, good job!
I should play Ori at some point. Looks gorgeous, but I've heard that it's surprisingly difficult? Should I just wait for the definitive edition?
I don't play many platformers these days, Rayman games also have appealing graphics and music, but they are a walk in the park compared to Ori.
Recommended GPU for ROTTR: @1080p/GTX 970 and @2K/GTX 980 Ti

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-recommended-graphics-cards.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-geforce-gtx-970-recommended

I guess game will be very GPU demanding.
Well that's not vague at all, my PC is ready but I am curious how well it runs on machines that don't quite reach the recommended specs, I have a friend who's very excited for RotTR, and he has a GTX770.

Dsyndrome

crazy-kid-birthday-gif.gif

This is my Friday night now that I don't go to bars anymore and I only have class Monday-Thursday. Glad the awards are tonight.

Hm, I get your view but even if a remaster changes/adds content?
no cause at its core its still the same game
EA games shouldn't count since they're not released, but saying remasters don't count is biased. If a game is legitimately a GOTY candidate (released, but not the bullshit Arkham Knight re-release) and enough people vote for it, it should be able to be represented. If enough people vote for it, then why shouldn't it be GOTY? Not like there's going to be a reddit or 4chan push for it anyway.

I'm either way on Origin/uPlay only games.

no it still shouldn't count cause theres a reason its getting remastered, cause it was a good game in the first place. no publisher is going to waste their time remastering a trashy ass game. It got its chance in the limelight, if new people get to play said game for the first time thats great, its still not a game from that year though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Dsyndrome

no cause at its core its still the same game

no it still shouldn't count cause theres a reason its getting remastered, cause it was a good game in the first place. no publisher is going to waste their time remastering a trashy ass game. It got its chance in the limelight, if new people get to play said game for the first time thats great, its still not a game from that year though.

Prototype Remaster. I say this thinking that even if DMC 4 SE and DS2:SotFS were allowed, they would still not get GOTY. People should still be able to vote for them though, as both offer content not offered previously, and they're not just straight bug fixes.

And keep in mind that the only good thing about Prototype is the concept.

...Such a bummer of a franchise.
Suddenly my Dragon's Dogma character has full outfits in his storage. They definitely weren't there before...

You receive some old preorder DLC armour sets and an Eternal.. uh... recall stone or whatever they're called, in Gran Soren's inn/storage area.

It's confused everyone at first.

The ugly monocle can be sold for a novahot 312k.

Volimar

can you stop the ryan seacrest bullshit and just tell everyone that W3 is goty and anyone that hasn't bought or played it yet should feel bad? :p

prototype is hot fire. Prototype 1 > Infamous 1

Dude, you can't just call someone Ryan Seacrest. You crossed a line. Better edit before a mod sees that.

You receive some old preorder DLC armour sets and an Eternal.. uh... recall stone or whatever they're called, in Gran Soren's inn/storage area.

It's confused everyone at first.

The ugly monocle can be sold for a novahot 312k.

Yeah I saw the other stuff. Eternal Ferrystone is awesome. But the outfits weren't there before so that's why they threw me for a loop. Also, cheers to the folks using my pawn Rosalynne. Just changed her to a Ranger so I could swap gear since I changed to a Mage.

Prototype Remaster. I say this thinking that even if DMC 4 SE and DS2:SotFS were allowed, they would still not get GOTY. People should still be able to vote for them though, as both offer content not offered previously, and they're not just straight bug fixes.

This reminds me that earlier today I was made aware of the PSX Castlevania Chronicles and how it basically had the NES castlevania remastered with some new levels and items and such... but y'know, remaster and all. ;)

Killing Floor 2, outside of balance changes, has something like 70% of it's core content available and I put over 100 hours into it since release in 2015. I'm pretty sure it should qualify for my Steam GOTY voting (although I'm still miffed about wasting dev time while in EA on making a cosmetic item market/economy while there are classes and maps that are yet to be seen).

Straight remasters? Sure, they shouldn't count, I guess, since absolutely nothing has changed outside of the graphics in a lot of cases. But when a "remaster" adds 3 new unique playable characters with vastly different move sets and mechanics or remixes/adds enough content to provide a different experience than the original title, it's not a remaster anymore and is more of a director's cut type of deal.

The rules are the rules, but they're still kind of silly. They assume everyone voting is a PC only gamer and has never owned/played a console, which is a different bias entirely.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Don't blame me, I voted for Fallout 4. The official vote for those who just want to see people get all worked up over the placement of a game on a list because it represents their counter-constructed identity.

ArjanN

1c. For some reason, HW1 Remastered has the HW2 tutorial. It's weird, because the ships are completely different in that game, as well as the well you control them (squadrons vs. individiual strike craft).

Hmm. I'll be the first to admit I was a pretty casual Homeworld player, and I played it mostly for the atmosphere/music/story etc. but honestly I don't remember those things actually mattering all that much. I mean, I'm sure that depth was there, but from what I remember beating the singleplayer only really required knowing what ships to build for each mission, then sending them off to do their thing while you go drink a cup of tea/rotate the camera to get neat shots of spaceships.

maty

I should play Ori at some point. Looks gorgeous, but I've heard that it's surprisingly difficult? Should I just wait for the definitive edition?

I don't know when the definitive edition is going to come out but everyone who likes platformers should play Ori. While there are few things I hope they fix in the rerelease like being able to return to the dungeons after beating them (only important if you want to collect everything), the game is still fantastic.

Maybe it's me but I didn't find it that hard and I finished it 4 times, normal playthrough, speedrun in <3 hours, no upgrades and no deaths.

Also remember to save everytime you think you've made major progress.

Don't blame me, I voted for Fallout 4. The official vote for those who just want to see people get all worked up over the placement of a game on a list because it represents their counter-constructed identity.

If I'd known this, I'd have helped you out... my votes were for sale to the highest bidder this year, since most of the games in my list were outside of my top 5 and got moved up merely because of the rules.

As it is, I saw enough of the lists posted to try to help nabs out a bit and threw some points to Ori. I really did think of throwing Fallout 4 in the list, but I didn't think 1-5 points from me would be enough to have it move up and rank higher than a lot of games that are darlings of the posters in this thread...

Anno

Damn all I want to do is enjoy the impending GOTYs and now I find out the wife took the last half rack of ribs over to the neighbors because their kid shoveled our sidewalk or some shit wth.

tuxfool

Banned
Hmm. I'll be the first to admit I was a pretty casual Homeworld player, and I played it mostly for the atmosphere/music/story etc. but honestly I don't remember those things actually mattering all that much. I mean, I'm sure that depth was there, but from what I remember beating the singleplayer only really required knowing what ships to build for each mission, then sending them off to do their thing while you go drink a cup of tea/rotate the camera to get neat shots of spaceships.

Yeah this matches my impression too. However I never dabbled that much with the skirmish or MP modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom