• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

So we can get 2016 voting out of the way right?

1) Dogma

Only if FROM disappoints with Dark Souls 3. From what I've seen so far tho it looks like Miyazaki is gonna make the series go out with a big bang.

I think Dogma won't win. It will be top 3 probably. Its low price and very early release is gonna do good for it because most of SteamGAF should get a chance to play it before voting next year.

Jawmuncher

I can see where prinny is coming from. I mean the game was even marketed as Gone Home from the beginning so they were basically already hinting at it.

Parsnip

All games are factually better if there are lesbians?

Someone needs to pitch a Fear Effect sequel to Square Enix (Collective) STAT.

zkylon

zkylewd
2016 is super stacked, it's impossible to predict right now

i'm guessing ladykiller in a bind and dark souls 3 are gonna be my top 2, and then sometimes always monsters, the witness and maybe torment will follow pretty close

it's really hard to say, xcom 2 has awesome promise, i'm still hopeful about dxhr2, etc.

Westerado-bros unite.
word. i was torn between putting Westerado or Not a Hero on my list but Westerado has more replayability, solid humor, and is as close to RDR as we're gonna get.
BCC20B6405045CA90340F238FB7E68E2C5992861

Skux

Said it in the steam chat and I'm just gonna throw it in here too:

If Max was a male and Chloe was straight in Life is Strange not only would less people care about it but more people would call out its ending too. I truly believe the main number 1 reason people go hard for this game is because it can basically be about 2 lesbians.

I didn't play it that way at all. My Max was straight.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

If Max was a male and Chloe was straight in Life is Strange not only would less people care about it but more people would call out its ending too. I truly believe the main number 1 reason people go hard for this game is because it can basically be about 2 lesbians.

Well I think this is about as dumb as when I read it in the SteamGaf Academy chat.

neonglow

Has anyone purchased from Funstock Digital before? I just bought Civ 5 Complete Edition but there was no Steam Key in my order info.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

This says more about you than the people you're complaining about.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
2016 is totally stacked with greatness. But it's way to early to call anything yet. I'm looking forward to another great year of incredible stuff being released on Steam.

Lomax

Well five points of HuniePop was me, which means only 22 points from all the rest of you too ashamed to admit the truth.

Total recap:

y3sZih8.png

XwCgmln.png

7lKrNAe.png

e13aKTu.png

aj2250x.png

tQ1rWnV.png

T8cKPht.png

IdfWLXA.png

FdnRHGO.png

qhNkLSv.png
There were some good games. Need to play many of 'em. Pretty interesting how mega-sellers like Fallout 4 or GTAV didn't make Top 10. Guess either formulae got too old despite being fun or SteamGaf has collectively different taste than "mainstream".
Good work jschackles!

Vlad

Some random Steam-related thoughts:

1. Homeworld Remastered still sucks major ass. Homeworld 1 is among my favorite games of all time and the remaster is tragically borked. Finished it in late December and... yeah. People experiencing Homeworld for the first time this way will probably enjoy it, but they won't know what they are missing. Also this PC Gamer review is incompetent: http://www.pcgamer.com/homeworld-remastered-review/. Looks like the reviewer didn't even touch the first game. It's important to note, however, that the Deserts of Kharak guys have nothing to do with this travesty, are (in part) the original developers of the game and will be responsible for potential Homeworld 3, so do support them!

1a. As to what's actually broken, it's the way the game works. Homeworld 1 had actual ballistics, so every ship, rocket, asteroid, bullet and whatever was a physical object existing in 3D space. That meant that, for example, a shot fired from a rotating turret on a moving ship would move differently from a shot fired from a still turret on a ship that doesn't move. There were a lot of tricks based on those mechanics, an intricate balance, which made various squadron formations and "tactics" very important. Most ship types ultimately mattered. There were entire missions based on the mechanics (taking place in asteroid fields). Homeworld 2, on the other hand, ditched all of that in favor of a new, purely RNG-based system. In that game, a hit or miss was decided by a dice roll, not actual physics. This is the system the HW1 remaster uses because it runs on the HW2 engine. It completely destroys the balance (basically, whoever has the toughest armor and the biggest guns wins, meaning strike craft is useless) and also breaks the asteroid missions (the ships just try to fly through the asteroids and get blown up).

Damn, that's a huge shame. I sunk so many hours into Homeworld and Cataclysm, it's sad to see it reduced to this. My favorite strategy was to go mass corvettes. A mix of multi-gun corvettes and heavy corvettes could shred most things, and most opponents would get overconfident when they didn't see you cranking out capital ships like they were.

Vlad

There were some good games. Need to play many of 'em. Pretty interesting how mega-sellers like Fallout 4 or GTAV didn't make Top 10. Guess either formulae got too old despite being fun or SteamGaf has collectively different taste than "mainstream".
Good work jschackles!

It just makes me sad that not only did Infinifactory not do that well, but I'm actually the only person who voted for it at all.

It just makes me sad that not only did Infinifactory not do that well, but I'm actually the only person who voted for it at all.
Hey for what it's worth, I enjoyed reading your impressions on it and I plan on trying it out sometime - like TIS and SpaceChem (which is waiting in backlog) - but I fear the old grey matter's pain even before starting either of them, haha.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if Contradiction would have gotten even a single vote if it hadn't been in that bundle.

I think I've heard more people say they bought it because of the Giantbomb quicklook. But I'm sure the bundle helped.

Jawmuncher

Wanted to quote this from the other thread. Makes a lot of sense and explains why I had such issues with it. Never knew about the budget issues. Had they been able to get their full vision. I think I would have been more pleased.

The game ran into budget constraints near the end. There are a lot of plot threads they had to drop/change. The most obvious one being the Prescott/Storm one. At the end of Ep3 there's a preview for Ep4 where Nathan screams saying he knows there's a storm coming and the dialogue is absent in the production release. The bunker for the Dark Room was built by some Prescott ancestor. Madsen knows about the storm and has ties to the Prescott family via Nathan's dad but this is never fleshed out. The tobanga statue and Native American spritituality were likely also supposed to play a part in the story (the petition at the beginning of Ep1 has the science teacher mention that Blackwell has a history of peace with the native americans + the sprit animals/the janitor portions + cut dialogue involving the Tobanga statue on campus all point to this).

It's a shame that Don't Nod had to file for bankruptcy protection near the end and ran into constraints because their original vision was likely much grander. Ep1-3 were great, but knowing how much was missing from the last 2 kind of bummed me out.

jshackles

ARMA3 is a serious time-sink. A beautifully fun time-sink. I am shocked at the many reviews I've watched which mainly scoff over the campaign when it in reality is so diverse and interesting, it puts most games to shame! Today I had to stealthy sneak to an extraction point to go back to the smaller island Stratis. That alone was fun. It was rainy, windy and grey but yet was the atmosphere fabulous. The strong wind moving the grass melodically, thunder suddenly tensing you up while you're in the midst of observing enemy positions. All while you try to find the next bush to lay from getting sighted by "patrolling" helicopters and jets. So good.
But the real fun started on Stratis. While one team tried to rescue a prisoner, my team was tasked with causing major mayhem which usually never is the explicit mission objective, haha. It was so fun going from camp to camp and blow stuff up. Now that I - to my own surprise - memorized many orders, scrolling through the intensive command menu is quick and I can do deeper maneuvers in a useful way.

Tomorrow I'll have to look up brother Google for a - hopefully existing - method of getting rid of "banding", especially at night-time. It annoys me more than it should :/
Either way, I tried the VR Testing Room a bit and was a bit let down by the puny number of vehicles and aircraft. Only two fighter jets and none is an "interesting" model (F16 etc.). Same goes for helicopters. No Apache :(
I will watch YouTube videos to see how ARMA2 compares in that regard. Almost 30hrs in and I'm seriously considering playing the second game afterwards to see what changed for the good or bad. Totally recommend ARMA3 for everyone. There's the one or other impossible one-shot kill but overall you feel responsible for every death.

tuxfool

Banned
People like to play games not do math problems.

JK I have tis-100 but haven't tried it yet.

Yah. I plan on getting it and if I were to choose between them I would definitely go for TIS-100. Infinifactory seems definitely more suited to the layman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom