• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

GTA would have dominated if it had launched at the same time with the other versions

you don't think high about steamgaf, do you?

I'll keep believing that DoS would have won regardless with DS2 as second. Now if it was released on PC in 2013, it probably would have been steamgaf GOTY.

kagamin

Ehhhhhh, even though I've enjoyed GTA V quite a bit (209 hours and still going) I wouldn't have voted for it because there were too many games that were better than it.

To buy or not to buy Adventure Time: The Secret Of The Nameless Kingdom?
I like top down Zelda games, and I doubt it will get cheaper than 5€... :\

Arthea

for the moment I was tempted to find all those posts "Fallout 4 will be GOTY everywhere" in an earlier steamgaf thread but decided it's too much work.

Talking about 2016, Dogma already took spot on the list, seeing how everybody likes it, haven't seen any negative post yet.

jdw_b

As soon as I finished the main story in GTA I never touched it again.

I don't know whether it's the game or me, but I don't get as excited about randomly blowing shit up like I used to

Also, any Sonic games worth picking up? I've played all the 2d games, Adventure and Lost Worlds so don't need those

Arthea

I can't get into it. :(
Same way I couldn't get into Dark Souls.
I...
I'm sorry I fail as a human being.

It's OK, you don't have to get into every game, now kindly go play Trails

edited: getting back to our GOTY, one thing bothers me in that top 10, Undertale being above Trails, that looks like major mockery, funny and yet so mean at the same time.

Oreoleo

I don't know whether it's the game or me, but I don't get as excited about randomly blowing shit up like I used to

It's not you, GTAV is uninspired and suffers more from 'sequelitis' than any other GTA to date.

Anyway, nice GOTY list SteamGAF.

I've played GTA V twice, on PS3 and on PC. Still couldn't bother to finish the story.
Ended up playing Online most of the time, then got bored and uninstalled it. It was a delicious 50GB free space.

Dr Dogg

Anyone fancy seeing some Alternative SteamGAF GOTY Awards? As in take the same results but use some slightly different criteria. The results might shock you!

Knurek

It's OK, you don't have to get into every game, now kindly go play Trails

Hamlet first (missing just a single Ophelia route IIRC).
I'm not sure which puzzle game to play next tho, I have 16 puzzles left in Picross GB.
Should I continue to Picross GB2 (although I don't fancy much the 30x30 puzzles split into 15x15 pieces the game uses)
Or should I do something non-nonogramy? Quell, Pic Pic, Squarelogic, Slitherlink... Decisions, decisions.

you don't think high about steamgaf, do you?

I think that GTAV is an amazing game but it releasing last on PC (within months with other huge contenders to boot) most definitely decreased the hype. I didn't vote for it either despite absolutely loving the game.

Arthea

I think that GTAV is an amazing game but it releasing last on PC (within months with other huge contenders to boot) most definitely decreased the hype. I didn't vote for it either despite absolutely loving the game.

That's odd, unless you liked other games more, meaning, it's still doesn't deserve to be GOTY, no?

Hamlet first (missing just a single Ophelia route IIRC).
I'm not sure which puzzle game to play next tho, I have 16 puzzles left in Picross GB.
Should I continue to Picross GB2 (although I don't fancy much the 30x30 puzzles split into 15x15 pieces the game uses)
Or should I do something non-nonogramy? Quell, Pic Pic, Squarelogic, Slitherlink... Decisions, decisions.

play Quell, it's so zen and beautifully made game, many levels are so easy that it takes almost no time to finish, some are trickier and getting gems even annoyed me at times, I haven't got 2 I think and decided to call it a day, an amazing game, can be played in very short sessions too.

Ever wondered why movies that were released few months after the Oscars rarely seem to get any Oscars? I can barely remember things about things I did / played / watched a year ago.

I don't think it quite works that way
Oh I know what hype is, but if I really like a game, I remember it much longer than one year. If I don't, why would it be on GOTY list? Forgettable games shouldn't be, hype or no hype, popular or no.

That's odd, unless you liked other games more, meaning, it's still doesn't deserve to be GOTY, no?

Ever wondered why movies that were released few months after the Oscars rarely seem to get any Oscars? I can barely remember things about things I did / played / watched a year ago.

Dr Dogg

I really should be doing something more productive today but here we go.

First up Results In Popularity Order (as in number of votes no scores considered)
Results Ordered By Popularity said:
1 | The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2 | Life Is Strange
3 | Rocket League
4 | Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
5 | Pillars of Eternity
6 | Ori and the Blind Forest
7 | Tales from the Borderlands
8 | Undertale
9 | Contradiction: Spot the Liar
10 | Cities: Skylines
11 | Her Story
12 | Grand Theft Auto V
13 | Fallout 4
14 | The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
14 | Dying Light
15 | Shadowrun: Hong Kong
16 | Downwell
17 | HuniePop
17 | Mad Max
17 | SOMA
18 | Guilty Gear Xrd - Sign
19 | Kerbal Space Program
19 | Dirt Rally
19 | Crypt of the Necrodancer
19 | Invisibile, Inc.
19 | Resident Evil HD Remaster
19 | Batman Arkham Knight
20 | Assassin's Creed Syndicate
20 | Axiom Verge
20 | Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
21 | Grow Home
21 | Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
22 | D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
22 | Sunless Sea
22 | Assault Android Cactus
22 | Way of the Sumurai 4
22 | The Beginner's Guide
22 | Prison Architect
23 | TIS-100
23 | Transformers Devastation
23 | Underrail
23 | Westerado: Double Barreled
23 | Broken Age
23 | Just Cause 3
23 | Mushihimesama
23 | Neon Struct
23 | Not A Hero
23 | Mortal Kombat X
24 | Higurashi When They Cry - Chapter 1 Onikakushi
24 | Nuclear Throne
24 | Read Only Memories
24 | Project Cars
24 | Resident Evil Revelations 2
24 | The Age of Decadence
24 | Clicker Heroes
24 | Paint it Back
24 | Dragon Ball Xenoverse
24 | Grim Fandango Remastered
24 | Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
25 | Lightning Returns - Final Fantasy XIII
25 | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
25 | Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours
25 | Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation
25 | Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!
25 | Broforce
25 | Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
25 | Mini Metro
25 | Technobabylon
25 | OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
25 | Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
25 | Evoland II
25 | Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
25 | King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
25 | Rainbow Six: Siege
25 | Satellite Reign
25 | Castle in the Darkness
25 | Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
25 | One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
25 | Rebel Galaxy
25 | Ronin
25 | SquareCells
26 | Infinifactory
26 | Party Hard
26 | Eternal Senia
26 | Final Fantasy VI
26 | Stardust Vanguards
26 | Chroma Squad
26 | Clannad
26 | Dragon Quest Heroes
26 | Flywrench
26 | Helldivers
26 | Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation
26 | Nekopara Vol. 0
26 | Rampage Knights
26 | Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell
26 | Snakebird
26 | Tales of Zestiria
26 | Tembo The Badass Elephant
26 | The Masterplan
26 | Titan Souls
26 | Aviary Attorney
26 | Crystal Story II
26 | eden*
26 | Gear Up
26 | Lakeview Cabin Collection
26 | Message Quest
26 | Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
26 | Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
26 | Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
26 | Shutshimi
26 | Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
26 | Why Am I Dead at Sea?
26 | Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
26 | BloodLust Shadowhunter
26 | Cat Goes Fishing
26 | Coffin Dodgers
26 | Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
26 | LEGO Jurassic World
26 | Mega Man Legacy Collection
26 | Noctropolis
26 | Odallus: The Dark Call
26 | Pathologic Classic HD
26 | Renowned Explorers: International Society
26 | Sayonara UmiharaKawase
26 | Sonic Lost World
26 | The Adventures of Pip
26 | The Silent Age
26 | The War for the Overworld
26 | Thea: The Awakening
26 | Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

So what does that do for the Top 10...
Code:
[B]Top 10 Change[/B]

Orig 	Pop 	Change	Title
1	1	None	        The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2	2	None		Life Is Strange
3	3	None		Rocket League
5	4	+1		Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4	5	-1		Pillars of Eternity
6	6	None		Ori and the Blind Forest
7	7	None		Tales from the Borderlands
8	8	None		Undertale
10	9	+1		Contradiction: Spot the Liar
11	10	+1		Cities: Skylines

Hmm not a lot of difference there. Then again when you look at vote distribution it's easy to see why...
Points Distribution said:
lF1H1BP.png
Out of a total of 2704 point distributed between 130 titles almost 60% of them went to just the top 10 titles.

Here's one more. What about the 1 Vote Games.
Games With 1 Vote said:
1 | Infinifactory
1 | Party Hard
2 | Eternal Senia
2 | Final Fantasy VI
2 | Stardust Vanguards
3 | Chroma Squad
3 | Clannad
3 | Dragon Quest Heroes
3 | Flywrench
3 | Helldivers
3 | Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation
3 | Nekopara Vol. 0
3 | Rampage Knights
3 | Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell
3 | Snakebird
3 | Tales of Zestiria
3 | Tembo The Badass Elephant
3 | The Masterplan
3 | Titan Souls
4 | Aviary Attorney
4 | Crystal Story II
4 | eden*
4 | Gear Up
4 | Lakeview Cabin Collection
4 | Message Quest
4 | Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
4 | Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
4 | Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
4 | Shutshimi
4 | Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
4 | Why Am I Dead at Sea?
5 | Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
5 | BloodLust Shadowhunter
5 | Cat Goes Fishing
5 | Coffin Dodgers
5 | Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
5 | LEGO Jurassic World
5 | Mega Man Legacy Collection
5 | Noctropolis
5 | Odallus: The Dark Call
5 | Pathologic Classic HD
5 | Renowned Explorers: International Society
5 | Sayonara UmiharaKawase
5 | Sonic Lost World
5 | The Adventures of Pip
5 | The Silent Age
5 | The War for the Overworld
5 | Thea: The Awakening
5 | Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
Obviously No 1 got 5 points, 2 got 4 and so on. You could also look at just the titles which got top spot and separate them out in to their own list but that's nigh on impossible without the data jshackles has.

Arthea

That doesn't seem as shocking as you announced it to be!
you can't trust anybody these days

Well it does highlight that even if you change the formula it still boils down to a popularity contest. Then again most community awards even with wildly different voting criteria usually boil down to that. Almost 60% of the points just going to the top 10 is a bit disappointing though especially when you consider the number of people voting. Guess we're all more similar than we like to admit.

Of course any GOTY list is popularity contest, that's what GOTY in essence is
It's never the best game, even if sometimes the best game is most popular, but that's rarely the case.

Dr Dogg

That doesn't seem as shocking as you announced it to be!
you can't trust anybody these days

Well it does highlight that even if you change the formula it still boils down to a popularity contest. Then again most community awards even with wildly different voting criteria usually boil down to that. Almost 60% of the points just going to the top 10 is a bit disappointing though especially when you consider the number of people voting. Guess we're all more similar than we like to admit.

Dr Dogg

Of course any GOTY list is popularity contest, that's what GOTY in essence is
It's never the best game, even if sometimes the best game is most popular, but that's rarely the case.

No they should be in all ernest the games the community feels is the best selection for that year. If you have a narrowminded community or one built up around a smaller selection of titles or genre then you expect it to be the popular choices. But last year 1,000 of games released on Steam with the majority of them not being voted for at all which shows that while this is quite a diverse community, given the choice the majority have voted for very similar things.

Maybe this leads credence to widening the voting criteria to 10 entries and score them from 10 to 1. While this probably won't do much for a change at the top it will probably create move competition in the middle of the results where the gulf in scores from the top 10/15 is rather large. Personally whilst putting that together I was thinking that instead of there being an increase in single votes for games it would probably reduce them and tighten things up by virtue of voters having a bigger selection to play with. Also a scale of 10-1 gives you a much move even spread than 5-1, again not necessarily effecting the top of the results but more the middle to bottom half becomes more competitive and not scraping for a collection of 4ths and 5ths to separate them from each other.

-1 Change for Contradiction looks like a typo?

Too slow to catch my edit :p

People that played SC really liked it, highest APS. The post above shows that going just by the number of people that voted it it would've been nº14 instead of 9, but it was generally high on the lists that featured it (for me it was nº2).

Dr Dogg

But who in their right mind would play more than 5 games per year.

You could certainly argue against the idea of widening the field, just as you could about using point scoring as a metric as the results in the top 10 aren't that different (sorry Trails fans). End of the day it's more interesting for me to look at the data itself than the actual results. I get way more information about this community from the analytical side of things than the collated numbers.

Knurek

Can you make another list for square-weighted votes?
Current: 1st - 5pts, 2nd - 4pts, etc.
Proposed: 1st - 25pts, 2nd - 16pts, etc

Will this change anything (especially for high APS games like TITS?)

You could certainly argue against the idea of widening the field, just as you could about using point scoring as a metric as the results in the top 10 aren't that different (sorry Trails fans). End of the day it's more interesting for me to look at the data itself than the actual results. I get way more information about this community from the analytical side of things than the collated numbers.

*points to avatar*
I can't believe I MRORANGED you of all people.

*points to avatar*

You are getting too good at MRORANGEing people, Knurek :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Also, any Sonic games worth picking up? I've played all the 2d games, Adventure and Lost Worlds so don't need those

Generations and SEGA Racing Transformed are worth looking into.

Dr Dogg

Well while there are plenty of examples of scoring distributions out there, footbal for example giving 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, F1 (which used to be top 10 gets 10-1) starting at 25 for a win scaling down to 1 point for 10th, even Football awards having a selection criteria of 20 players and scores starting at 40 for who you think was the best player of that year all of those are far from purely subjective selection.

Really trying to reduce what you feel was the best of last year in games to just a number, ones with specific increases of rank from one to the next, goes completely against the subjective nature of why we like them. Can anyone here honestly say they quantified their GOTY selection 100% accurately given the score weighting? That your 1st placed titles was 5 times more worthy then your 5th?

Then again it's certainly a lot easier to manage and produce than a nominations and various voting stage awards like most entertainment gongs use.

Also SC Getting a high average just proves it is in fact a niche title! One that folks who play it really like it.

*points to avatar*

You didn't ORANGE SQUASH me as I'm fully aware how many games you runthrough in just 6 months but there are still strong points both for and against changing the voting criteria. There really will never be an amicable solution just as some folks flip their shit over review scores but looking through the data more than a league table certainly is more intresting in my eyes.

Arthea

not going to quote any posts, because these are general thoughts

Our group is too small for any analytical statistics, considering that there are hundreds of games released in one year, even as a group we only chipped the top of an iceberg that was 2015.
And we know each other pretty well to know more or less what others like, that's why our GOTY list has no surprises as such, well, aside for Trails making to top ten. We also have very strong word of mouth here, or should I say mouths.
As for games that only have one vote, it could be hundred or much more added with more people. There are great many games that I'm sure are as good if not better than games on the list. Then there are games released too late to be played the same year, etc.

Overall I like our GOTY, even if it's pretty far from my own, it is diverse and have interesting games many of those aren't that popular in general, especially those bellow top ten and some even in top ten.

Knurek

Also SC Getting a high average just proves it is in fact a niche title! One that folks who play it really like it.

ohyoumarrg.jpg

If I ever did an "essential RPG" voting you'd need to post at least 20 games, and write at least 150 words on each of them, for your vote to count :p
Maybe I should add that there need to be representatives from at least 3 distinct subgenres and 3 decades.

That will show those filthy casuals ;)

Could I do a saving throw versus my godlike CHA stat and have you rescind that requirement just for widdle old me?

Durante

Well it does highlight that even if you change the formula it still boils down to a popularity contest. Then again most community awards even with wildly different voting criteria usually boil down to that.
If I ever did an "essential RPG" voting you'd need to post at least 20 games, and write at least 150 words on each of them, for your vote to count :p
Maybe I should add that there need to be representatives from at least 3 distinct subgenres and 3 decades.

Arthea

Doggie just said that Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Lightning Returns are niche titles
I like our today talk.
Oh yeah forgot most important part Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 too!

3K words just to submit votes? You need writers not gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom