• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

ohyoumarrg.jpg

Hey the figures don't lie!

If I ever did an "essential RPG" voting you'd need to post at least 20 games, and write at least 150 words on each of them, for your vote to count :p
Maybe I should add that there need to be representatives from at least 3 distinct subgenres and 3 decades.

That will show those filthy casuals ;)

All I can imagine now is list after list containing games that have RPG elements but not be RPGs themselves.

Doggie just said that Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Lightning Returns are niche titles
I like our today talk.
Oh yeah forgot most important part Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 too!

SteamGAF just isn't ready to embrace the greatness that is AssCreed. Shame because it will probably be deader than Price of Persia in the not too distant future,

Suck it, MGSV haters.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

It was an honourable mention to me. Absolutely fantastic game and if the story was just a bit better and the gameplay had slightly more variety then it would have been my GOTY. It's great but still only the 4th best MGS imo.

Pachimari

I wish Sunset Overdrive was on Steam :/

You are not the only one.

Yeah, me too. It was so much fun in the one month I owned a Xbox One! Really would want it on PC.

I'd buy a PC port of Rare Replay in an instant on Steam, if just for the Viva Pinata games.
This too. What I would do, to get me some pinata!

What a phenomenal and refreshing Top 10 list. Thanks for the effort jshackles and everyone who voted! Unfortunately, I didn't vote, which I now regret, but I didn't feel like I had played enough of last years game to properly vote for something.

Ludens

Banned
I post this here too, since the MGO thread is kinda dead (pretty much like the game):

I can't play a decent match anymore. Simply, there's way too much lag. It's very, very bad, basically unplayable. CQC is basically useless, it's impossible grabbing someone with this lag. The first day the game was ok, I was able to play good matches, but now:

-I always trigger matches with lag
-Too many hosts quit the game when they lose. It's infuriating, because if you want to progress a bit, all your exp is lost when the host quits. This happens very often, two days ago it happened four times in a raw, than I quitted because it was basically useless.
-I NEVER managed to play a 8 vs 8 match. Usually it's 4 vs 4, 5 vs 5 if I'm very lucky.
-Chaaters. Yeah, I met some of them during the beta, after a while I stopped finding cheaters in my matches, today I found 3 of them in 3 different matches. One dude had infinite health spamming rockets in and there without even reloading.
-The game has several problems. Way too often after a match you push B to return to the hub, but for some reasons the game loads the following match. Often I...don't respawn at all after being killed. I remain in this screen with the name of the dude who killed me. Other times when I spawn I have no weapons at all. Again, sometimes I spawn and I'm unable to move.

I wonder if those bugs are a PC-only thing, or they are on console too and Konami didn't bother to patch them.

EDIT: Browsing Steam community hub, some people reported with the last patch Konami removed proximity matchmaking from the game, so thanks Konami, this is probably the reason why I can't play a decent match anymore.

Arthea

SteamGAF just isn't ready to embrace the greatness that is AssCreed. Shame because it will probably be deader than Price of Persia in the not too distant future,

something something numbers don't lie

This too. What I would do, to get me some pinata!

What a phenomenal and refreshing Top 10 list. Thanks for the effort jshackles and everyone who voted! Unfortunately, I didn't vote, which I now regret, but I didn't feel like I had played enough of last years game to properly vote for something.

yeah, where is my Viva pinata, MS?

I think that this mindset isn't right, hear me out. Unless you only start as a gamer, you have fairly good grasp on what a good game is, and if even you played only one game released in 2015, if you think it's great and worthy to be on your GOTY list, you don't need anything else.

Dr Dogg

something something numbers don't lie

Ha no they don't. While there really isn't a guaranteed idea how much it sold worldwide, the fact Syndicate went on a deep discount pretty much everywhere not long after launch gives me the impression that it didn't just under perform but probably came close to tanking. Hope the old girl has some long legs in her like Black Flag did.

Knurek

It's a good thing Pony Island has been released this month and thus is eligible for SteamGAF 2016 GOTY awards.

Ha no they don't. While there really isn't a guaranteed idea how much it sold worldwide, the fact Syndicate went on a deep discount pretty much everywhere not long after launch gives me the impression that it didn't just under perform but probably came close to tanking. Hope the old girl has some long legs in her like Black Flag did.

I will buy the ones I'm missing (III, Unity, Syndicate) whenever they are €5 or less.

Hektor

Bloodborne got robbed!

I can't complain, i love a donner meat pizza and that looks something monstrous :p

kebab-pizza.jpg

giphy.gif

This is an insult to Döner.

That looks like a giant cork. I've heard of Doner Kababs a bit because my wife watches a lot of British shows like "Secret Eaters", but I've never seen one. That stuff is virtually unknown here in the states.

Wow, never heard that before. I'm sorry for you. A good Döner is like sex in your mouth. One of the best things you can possibly eat.

Too low.

This is an okay place for this game to be, as it was despite its story issues still an amazingly fun game to play. Or to put it more eloquently:

Suck it, MGSV haters.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

better. infinite is one of, if not the worst modern AAA game ever made
everything about its game design is putrid

How can you say this in a world where games like Infamous: Second Son, The order 1886 or Fallout 4 exist? Dragon Punch pls, Infinite had its issues but it wasn't even nearly as bad as any of those games. Infinite actually had some redeeming qualities as opposed to them.

Your 3rd Annual SteamGAF GOTY
qhNkLSv.png

I call BS! This is rigged! Revote!

I can't believe how hard Fallout 4 got blown out of the top 10.

BGRGF0t.gif

At least a bit of justice is still persistent.

Fallout New Vegas is a better Fallout game.

Every Fallout is a better Fallout game. Fallout 4 isn't even an actual fallout game.

Arthea

somebody in gaf goty thread has Snakebird as their goty, paging Dragon Punch with good news

This reminded me I need to install it and see what's up

Senhua

I post this here too, since the MGO thread is kinda dead (pretty much like the game):

EDIT: Browsing Steam community hub, some people reported with the last patch Konami removed proximity matchmaking from the game, so thanks Konami, this is probably the reason why I can't play a decent match anymore.

Your advice for someone who is planning to buy the game mainly for online component?

Mivey

How is that a bad thing? In a world where good PoP games are no longer made, why should the continous milking of the ever same formula from its bastard child go on forever? At least this way Ubisoft is somehwat forced to come up with something at least superficially new. And improve their Q&A, a lot.

Ludens

Banned
Your advice for someone who is planning to buy the game mainly for online component?

Mainly for online component?
Honestly just give up. MGO is not comparable to MGO2, you will get bored soon since there are only three modes and five maps. On PC also, as I wrote, there are too many problems.
Spending 60€ on this for MGO is a waste of money in my opinion.

Saty

Frontier issued Eurogamer the following statement:

We've supported VR for a few years now, and Elite Dangerous is arguably the world's leading VR-ready game. We want to give players the best possible VR experience however they play - it's something we talked about with Digital Foundry recently - and that means focusing our efforts. Right now, we've chosen to focus on SteamVR. We haven't cut an exclusivity deal with any VR manufacturer, and we're still working with Oculus on Rift support.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-confirms-no-official-support-for-oculus-rift

Dr Dogg

How is that a bad thing? In a world where good PoP games are no longer made, why should the continous milking of the ever same formula from its bastard child go on forever? At least this way Ubisoft is somehwat forced to come up with something at least superficially new. And improve their Q&A, a lot.

So let's take the last 4 mainline AssCreed games, III, Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate. Now while they do share similarities they each do have their own unique spin on the formula that folks have a habit of taring with the same brush.

III is set in a more open environment with little to no building to traverse but features horseback as the alternative method of transport. Black Flag primarily has smaller main cities with the focus being on seafaring and exploration of smaller islands that larger playspaces. Unity goes right back to just city traversal with one large city but with new parkour mechanics as the traversal focus. And Syndicate builds upon Unity's new mechanics and adds in horse drawn carriages and a Batman-like rope launcher.

As to mission structure they each feature different takes on objective completion with Unity and Syndicate having a much greater emphasis on player expression in their blackbox assassination missions. Side objectives are wildly different from one game to the next with III's Homestead being very story involved compared to Black Flag's straight up collectables, sea shanties and what not. Unity had the Paris Stories which opened up optional ways to tackle mainline story missions and Syndicate ties up historical characters and new mini games into its side content. Syndicate too also mixes the formula up with multiple playable protagonists for the first time. Plus the present day story is very much different in it's approach from III to BF to Unity/Syndicate as well.

So while on the surface they may all look the same, they haven't been churning out the same game with a new lick of paint each year for the past 9 like folks are oh so quick to state.

So let's take the last 4 mainline AssCreed games, III, Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate. Now while they do share similarities they each do have their own unique spin on the formula that folks have a habit of taring with the same brush.

III is set in a more open environment with little to no building to traverse but features horseback as the alternative method of transport. Black Flag primarily has smaller main cities with the focus being on seafaring and exploration of smaller islands that larger playspaces. Unity goes right back to just city traversal with one large city but with new parkour mechanics as the traversal focus. And Syndicate builds upon Unity's new mechanics and adds in horse drawn carriages and a Batman-like rope launcher.

As to mission structure they each feature different takes on objective completion with Unity and Syndicate having a much greater emphasis on player expression in their blackbox assassination missions. Syndicate too also mixes the formula up with multiple playable protagonists for the firs time.

So while on the surface they may all look the same, they haven't been churning out the same game with a new lick of paint each year for the past 9 like folks are oh so quick to state.

I haven't played an AC since Black Flag, which I did enjoy but I feel like most people who talk shit about the franchise don't actually play it. I mean, from the outside looking in I bet Street Fighter V looks exactly the same as SFIV when in reality it's completely different. I think people should just relax with the AC hate because it's usually from people who don't tend to play the games and give it shit because it comes out every year. Same with CoD, some years are good and some are bad but a lot of people shit on it regardless. Unless I'm totally wrong and people are playing these games and still calling them shit then don't mind me.

Kabouter

I haven't played an AC since Black Flag, which I did enjoy but I feel like most people who talk shit about the franchise don't actually play it. I mean, from the outside looking in I bet Street Fighter V looks exactly the same as SFIV when in reality it's completely different. I think people should just relax with the AC hate because it's usually from people who don't tend to play the games and give it shit because it comes out every year. Same with CoD, some years are good and some are bad but a lot of people shit on it regardless. Unless I'm totally wrong and people are playing these games and still calling them shit then don't mind me.

No, you're pretty much on the money with this I think.

As to mission structure they each feature different takes on objective completion with Unity and Syndicate having a much greater emphasis on player expression in their blackbox assassination missions. Syndicate too also mixes the formula up with multiple playable protagonists for the firs time.

Playing through the AC series recently, the issue, in my eyes, isn't the game play mechanics or even the theme. It's the overall story. Its going nowhere interesting fast. There doesn't seem to be a point or a goal for anything you are doing except time tourism. Also the player characters have been fairly unlikable since III. I haven't played Syndicate and they might be getting those back on track but it might be too late.

Lomax

This year's goty vote was a lot more top heavy than the last two. I actually think that's more because people actually played more of those games this year than previous years.

If anything I think an argument could be made for chopping it down to three per person, because look at how many games got just a couple meaningless 1 or 2 point votes, where as concentration of higher votes carried stuff much higher.

AHA-Lambda

Playing through the AC series recently, the issue, in my eyes, isn't the game play mechanics or even the theme. It's the overall story. Its going nowhere interesting fast. There doesn't seem to be a point or a goal for anything you are doing except time tourism. Also the player characters have been fairly unlikable. I haven't played Syndicate and they might be getting those back on track but it might be too late.

This is my main issue with it, and it got bad fast, after how much they fucked up the story with AC3. Forget Mass Effect 3 that shit has a worse ending.

Couple that with a more than annualised release schedule, and iterative feature creep-esque additions, means that AC quickly tumbled from one of my favourite IPs of the last generation to something I won't give the time of day now.

Uzzy

What about the 1 Vote Games.

1 | Infinifactory
1 | Party Hard
2 | Eternal Senia
2 | Final Fantasy VI
2 | Stardust Vanguards

I'd certainly be interested in the thoughts of whoever voted for these games as the best or almost the best games of 2015. What makes them so good?

Infact, I'd generally be interested in seeing people's thoughts about some of the lower scoring games that appeared on their voting forms. There's no shortage of talk out there about the top 20 games on the overall list, but some of the titles further down the list I've not even heard of.

Senhua

Mainly for online component?
Honestly just give up. MGO is not comparable to MGO2, you will get bored soon since there are only three modes and five maps. On PC also, as I wrote, there are too many problems.
Spending 60€ on this for MGO is a waste of money in my opinion.

So no hope for additional contents and features in the future as the original developer being sacked, sad indeed.
Thank you for the insight.

I'd certainly be interested in the thoughts of whoever voted for these games as the best or almost the best games of 2015. What makes them so good?

Infact, I'd generally be interested in seeing people's thoughts about some of the lower scoring games that appeared on their voting forms. There's no shortage of talk out there about the top 20 games on the overall list, but some of the titles further down the list I've not even heard of.

Infinifactory is a really good puzzle game from what I heard, so there's that.

I mean, if you want to know what makes Final Fantasy VI so good then I'm going to need some time.

Arthea

fun fact, Eternal Senia is one of highest rated 2015 games on steam, I posted it two times I think. It's baffling that most people haven't played it still, even after Lain's and my posts.

I haven't played it yet too, but I have an excuse.

You and I both know if GTA V came out on PC during Day 1, it would've been #1. It's way better than any game on that list, maybe on par with Witcher 3. It was snubbed because the hype died out by the time it was released and it was nearly a year ago that it came out on PC as well.

This is one of those scenarios where I feel like I'm missing out on an in-joke or meme. Especially the bolded.

The gulf between those two games just based on writing alone is so big that you could fill it with 30 empty, uninteresting Los Santos country sides and still not start to close in.

My sarcasm detector is a little off today, so if I'm wrong and this isn't a joke, tell me.

This is my main issue with it, and it got bad fast, after how much they fucked up the story with AC3. Forget Mass Effect 3 that shit has a worse ending.

Couple that with a more than annualised release schedule, and iterative feature creep-esque additions, means that AC quickly tumbled from one of my favourite IPs of the last generation to something I won't give the time of day now.

The play between the cyberpunk nightmare and historical adventure had so much potential. They just seemed to go nowhere with it. One, maybe two memorable characters would have went a long way.

My other problem with the series, and why I haven't since Unity and likely won't even attempt them in the future, is how they still manage to beat you over the head with gated off beginner's areas and tutorials, totally avoiding the game's strengths.

MUnited83

For you.
You and I both know if GTA V came out on PC during Day 1, it would've been #1. It's way better than any game on that list, maybe on par with Witcher 3. It was snubbed because the hype died out by the time it was released and it was nearly a year ago that it came out on PC as well.

Lol nope nope nope nope. I enjoyed GTA V a lot, but it doesn't belong even close to the top 10.

Arthea

It was such an amazing year for us, when I think about it
We probably will remember it fondly for many many years, especially as we'll be playing games released in 2015 for years still

I accounted for half of the points Clicker Heroes received.

Ya'll should be ashamed.

I kinda am.... but you have to allow for amount of great games that were released this year

Turfster

No email tag comment this time? D:
Throwaway joke.

GTA would have dominated if it had launched at the same time with the other versions
I would have been deeply disappointed in all of you then =p

Anyone fancy seeing some Alternative SteamGAF GOTY Awards? As in take the same results but use some slightly different criteria. The results might shock you!
I'm grumpy that I didn't get my Grump of the Year award. I was robbed, robbed I say!

Grief.exe

The demographics between the PC and console audiences are different.

We've come a long way Grief.
BTW what games are you getting this Feb.?

I'll probably end up getting Firewatch, what other games are coming out in February?

Arthea

I'll buy Disgaea day one only if Prinny promises to stop that hate campaign against FF13 he's engaged in, his irrational hate hurts our little community.

depending on its price, of course, that may turn to be not day one purchase even then

i would settle for a Place 2 or 3, but a one is not acceptable! A game i didn't like can't win a goty vote.

I feel the same way but keep in mind, this is just a popularity contest and in no was a qualitative ranking. I got 10 hours on the Witcher III and can't stand it. I thought that maybe this would be the one to finally make me like the series but nope.

Arthea

XCOM 2 alone could kept me going for a month, I can wait for the rest to go on sale.

don't do this to Dang at least. We need it to sell good, to get the rest of those games.
unless you aren't interested in it.

GTAV was by far the best selling game on Steam this year. Your statement is accurate, but what it implies really isn't.

what sales have to do with people liking or not liking a game again?
They play it after buying not before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom