• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokka

A 970? Game better look like my crush on high school prom night. Chances are, its going to be a shitty port.

Borderlands is a better loot game than Destiny, and that's saying something.

I don't think it is going to be a shitty port, Ubisoft Massive have roots in PC development.

Vlad

I'd certainly be interested in the thoughts of whoever voted for these games as the best or almost the best games of 2015. What makes them so good?

Since I'm the one who voted for Infinifactory as their GOTY, allow me to elaborate:

First off, this is pretty much me:

cutting_edge.png

I grew up in a fairly frugal family, so I often find myself waiting until stuff gets cheap before I dive in. I didn't get a PS2 until it was out for about four years, and I didn't get a DS until about a year after the 3DS came out. The games will still be good later on, and I can save a ton of money.

This approach to things is only bolstered by Steam sales and bundles.

So part of the problem is that a lot of my game time in 2015 was taken up by games that didn't come out in 2015. I played through GTA4 and its expansions, and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was a huge time sink for me.

But as with everything else, there are exceptions. There are just some developers who have earned my trust and I know I love their approach to things. Zachtronics is one of those (Team Meat and Terry Cavanagh are a couple others, and I'm a sucker for anything with a Danny Baronowsky soundtrack, which is why Necrodancer was my #2 for the year).

In case you haven't played any Zachtronics puzzle games (such as SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, along with a scattering of web-based games), they can best be described as Sandbox Puzzles. Unlike most other puzzle games, where there's just one or two solutions to any given puzzle, there are a theoretically infinite number of solutions to a Zachtronics puzzle. You're given a set input, told you need a set output, and you have free reign with regards to how you're actually going to do it. Generally speaking, your only limitations are the space of the playing field and a set of failure conditions (for example, in SpaceChem, you can't have any molecules collide with other ones or leave the puzzle area). This allows for a huge amount of creativity. Each solution is unique, so when you're watching the puzzle make its various widgets properly after what is usually hours of tinkering and refining, it's just so damn satisfying. For example, here's one of my Infinifactory solutions to a later level (made with the in-game gif creator):

V817gqz.gif

I laid out all the blocks in that gif. All you start with is a big empty room (technically, that level is two rooms that you have to get to sync up, but you get the idea), and there are no limitations on part numbers. It's not like you start with a partial factory and just have to fill in the blanks, you're building everything from scratch.

Shadownet

Banned
The game is going to look kinda blurry if you try and play it from outside the house, staring through a window.
I went to prom, that must have been what you were doing during yours.

Also it's Ubisoft. I don't trust that its going to be a good port until its right in front of me. Same for WB now.

Grief.exe

These shots just makes me hope that Ubi abandons all their other dozen or so internal engines and makes all their games with Snowdrop from now on.

Excluding Ubiart.

Isn't Unity considered to be one of the best looking games?

Assassin's Creed just can't justify that kind of budget anymore.

Kuroyume

Banned
Indiegala Friday Special Bundle

Pay only $1 and Get these 3 great games!

Fancy Skulls (STEAM)
Betrayer (STEAM)
One Finger Death Punch (STEAM)

Pay only $2.89 or more (ONLY FIRST 24 Hours) and Get The Entire Bundle of 12 Steam Games!

Winter Voices (COMPLETED PACK) (STEAM)
Deadlings: Rotten Edition (STEAM)
Subject 13 (STEAM)
AXYOS (STEAM)
Garfield Kart (STEAM)
Home Design 3D (STEAM)
Hatch and Slay (STEAM)
SHOFER Race Driver (STEAM)
Prismatica (STEAM)

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

Balthuk

Fancy Skulls (STEAM)
Betrayer (STEAM)

Pay only $2.89 or more (ONLY FIRST 24 Hours) and Get The Entire Bundle of 12 Steam Games!

Subject 13 (STEAM)
AXYOS (STEAM)
Garfield Kart (STEAM)
Home Design 3D (STEAM)
Hatch and Slay (STEAM)
Prismatica (STEAM)

Don't know about the others but buy the $1 tier for sure, One finger Death Punch is really cool

Ludens

Banned

Fancy Skulls (STEAM)
Betrayer (STEAM)

Subject 13 (STEAM)
AXYOS (STEAM)
Garfield Kart (STEAM)
Home Design 3D (STEAM)
Hatch and Slay (STEAM)
Prismatica (STEAM)

I was interested into Subject 13, but I think I'll skip the bundle, since on Steam there are mixes reviews and it doesn't seem really good. Did someone here play it?

vermadas

Remember that year The Swapper didn't win GOTY? That was as bad as the Oscars are every year.

That was the year Rogue Legacy won right (uggghh)? Here's my ballot for that year:

5. Bit.Trip Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of the Rhythm Alien
4. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
3. Guacamelee!
2. DmC
1. The Swapper

We've come a long way; the results this year are much better.

Parsnip

Isn't Unity considered to be one of the best looking games?

Assassin's Creed just can't justify that kind of budget anymore.

Unity looks fine, as long as you don't look too closely on some of the stuff. AnvilNext has some serious LOD issues that you can't get rid of even on PC, and don't get me started on all NPC related issues. Among other things.

Of course Snowdrop could be the same, so we'll see. But everything I have seen of it so far looks great. So fingers crossed.

But I'm more interested in it because it's supposedly a fresh code base instead of an upgrade of an upgrade of an upgrade of an older engine. At this point you can trace Anvil back to 2003-2004 at least, since they started working on it after Sands of Time. And who knows what the first version was based on, maybe the Jade Engine. Obviously it's gotten significant rewrites along the way, but fresh code base and modern development tools just excite me for some reason.

Grief.exe

I have an anime question.

My 12 year old daughter is interested in watching anime. Any particular series or movies that would be appropriate for her age?

We're trying to clean up the thread from off topic posts. We have a signal to noise problems and it's not just anime that is cashing the issue.

I'm told there is a dedicated anime thread on the forum that will better answer your question, you can also PM or Steam Message the anime experts on this thread and they should point you in the right direction.

Jazz573

We're trying to clean up the thread from off topic posts. We have a signal to noise problems and it's not just anime that is cashing the issue.

I'm told there is a dedicated anime thread on the forum that will better answer your question, you can also PM or Steam Message the anime experts on this thread and they should point you in the right direction.

Nah. It's just you. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom