• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

We're trying to clean up the thread from off topic posts. We have a signal to noise problems and it's not just anime that is cashing the issue.

I'm told there is a dedicated anime thread on the forum that will better answer your question, you can also PM or Steam Message the anime experts on this thread and they should point you in the right direction.

Thank you. It's been long overdue.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Bit Blaster XL

TZy5Tp0.jpg

Grief.exe

Well maybe some of us actually like it this way. :p

If you look at the people that generally derail the thread, it's actually a massive minority.

I never said to remove all personality and culture from the thread. It's fine to go off topic to a degree, simply contribute to the prevailing discussion as well.

As I've said before, I have topics that I enjoy discussing as well, but I take those to other threads as the majority of people in this thread won't have any interest or prior knowledge.

Some of the discussion definitely turns off new and old members alike, so let's keep it on topic so everyone feels included, rather than a select few.

I'm definitely not perfect either

Nyoro SF

That feel when you realize that Valkyria Azure threads will be derailed by breasts for the entirety of its existence

At least on PC, I can use Cheat Engine to grind less... so maybe.

I did this for Xrd so I could unlock the original music faster.

It was something ridiculous like 8000 in-game dollars for a track, and you only got 300 dollars for completing a character trial...

Jawmuncher

That feel when you realize that Valkyria Azure threads will be derailed by breasts for the entirety of its existence

Still hope that makes it's way to the west and PC. Though I suppose worse comes to worst if it comes to the west as PS4 only I can still get it. But with those VC sales on steam, I hope they don't assume that there are no VC fans on steam or something.

Saty

Ubisoft has just announced an interesting partnership with Frodo Baggins himself, Elijah Wood. It's collaborating with his production company SpectreVision to create original virtual reality content.

SpectreVision was founded in 2010 by partners Elijah Wood, Daniel Noah and Josh C. Waller and its work includes Cooties and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night.

"Their expertise in the horror film genre is exciting for us," said Ubisoft Montreal VP Patrick Plourde.

"We're looking forward to a collaboration that will ultimately offer fans an unforgettable virtual reality experience."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-01-22-ubisoft-partners-with-elijah-woods-spectrevision

Uzzy

Still hope that makes it's way to the west and PC. Though I suppose worse comes to worst if it comes to the west as PS4 only I can still get it. But with those VC sales on steam, I hope they don't assume that there are no VC fans on steam or something.

It'd be nice if Sega saw all those VC fans on Steam and decided that a new VC game would be a good idea.

Since I'm the one who voted for Infinifactory as their GOTY, allow me to elaborate:

First off, this is pretty much me:

cutting_edge.png

I grew up in a fairly frugal family, so I often find myself waiting until stuff gets cheap before I dive in. I didn't get a PS2 until it was out for about four years, and I didn't get a DS until about a year after the 3DS came out. The games will still be good later on, and I can save a ton of money.

This approach to things is only bolstered by Steam sales and bundles.

So part of the problem is that a lot of my game time in 2015 was taken up by games that didn't come out in 2015. I played through GTA4 and its expansions, and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was a huge time sink for me.

But as with everything else, there are exceptions. There are just some developers who have earned my trust and I know I love their approach to things. Zachtronics is one of those (Team Meat and Terry Cavanagh are a couple others, and I'm a sucker for anything with a Danny Baronowsky soundtrack, which is why Necrodancer was my #2 for the year).

In case you haven't played any Zachtronics puzzle games (such as SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, along with a scattering of web-based games), they can best be described as Sandbox Puzzles. Unlike most other puzzle games, where there's just one or two solutions to any given puzzle, there are a theoretically infinite number of solutions to a Zachtronics puzzle. You're given a set input, told you need a set output, and you have free reign with regards to how you're actually going to do it. Generally speaking, your only limitations are the space of the playing field and a set of failure conditions (for example, in SpaceChem, you can't have any molecules collide with other ones or leave the puzzle area). This allows for a huge amount of creativity. Each solution is unique, so when you're watching the puzzle make its various widgets properly after what is usually hours of tinkering and refining, it's just so damn satisfying. For example, here's one of my Infinifactory solutions to a later level (made with the in-game gif creator):

V817gqz.gif

I laid out all the blocks in that gif. All you start with is a big empty room (technically, that level is two rooms that you have to get to sync up, but you get the idea), and there are no limitations on part numbers. It's not like you start with a partial factory and just have to fill in the blanks, you're building everything from scratch.

Genuinely excellent write up, so thanks for this. I can totally understand your feelings for the game, and it's got me interested on it. Great stuff.

Dr Dogg

At this point calling out the 'anime offenders' is like pointing out a mad bastard shitting in the corner. All that's going to happen it they're going to take notice, try and engage you and then you've got shit everywhere. Just leave them to their own devices.

zkylon

zkylewd
Like we went through with the recent LTTP thread on HM2, Hotline Miami 2's biggest failure with many seems to be that you cannot cheese through the game with the same antics you could in HM1 but you actually have to *grasp* use the weapons and skill sets that you are given. Which makes the game much more difficult and seemingly unfair to those who aren't willing to change their tactics. There is nothing questionable about the level design. Dark Souls 2 had the same issue with many.
but dark souls 2's level design is also super weak?

if ur argument is that hotline miami 2 got rid of the cheese then you're just wrong, as cheesing the bad ai into walking into a room one by one as i shot them from a corner is the only way i managed to get through that shitty game.

i did change my tactics. i used to take risks, switching weapons mid combat just for the sake of it and general improvising.

now i just camp the bad ai because it's just as entertaining as everything else in that terrible game

On my 2nd playthrough the DLC reminded me a lot of System Shock 2, having played that few weeks prior.

Definitely liked it better with that in mind than first time through.
that's a good comparison, i like it

rickyson1

Danganronpa is coming out in February already too now?

wow what a month,has more things i'm interested in coming out than most quarters probably do

i'll be busy with Xcom 2 till like April though

Jawmuncher

It'd be nice if Sega saw all those VC fans on Steam and decided that a new VC game would be a good idea.

Genuinely excellent write up, so thanks for this. I can totally understand your feelings for the game, and it's got me interested on it. Great stuff.

We should at least get a port of 2 and especially 3.

Ban Puncher

At this point calling out the 'anime offenders' is like pointing out a mad bastard shitting in the corner. All that's going to happen it they're going to take notice, try and engage you and then you've got shit everywhere. Just leave them to their own devices.
But be sure to loudly complain periodically about the smell even if they've left the room and and there is no poop.

MUnited83

For you.

I mean, generally trying to call out offtopic talk will bring more off-topic talk than the original off-topic talk ever could. This happens over and over again.

But be sure to loudly complain periodically about the smell even if they've left the room and and there is no poop.
Oh yeah, this too.

Grief.exe

I mean, generally trying to call out offtopic talk will bring more off-topic talk than the original off-topic talk ever could. This happens over and over again.

Personally, I've noticed a marked improvement over last year. Are there still problems? Of course. But I think people don't remember just how bad it had gotten.

Some people are going to enjoy certain pursuits in life, some aren't, but we all come here for PC gaming, so let's make sure that as many people are included as possible.

Red Hood

Banned
Are you idling multiple games at once?
That slows them all down.

Not that I know of, I just have it at the default setting.

It shows a single picture of X-Blades so I assume it's being idled one at a time, because sometimes I do see multiple games in a row being idled but that's not the case now. 12,8 hours is very weird.

Jawmuncher

Not that I know of, I just have it at the default setting.

It shows a single picture of X-Blades so I assume it's being idled one at a time, because sometimes I do see multiple games in a row being idled but that's not the case now. 12,8 hours is very weird.

Some games are just really long. A lot of people here idled Xblades before the new system. RE5 takes like 10 hours to idle apparently. You might have a game on in the background though.

Nabs

Spirited Away would be perfect.

I've never heard that term before, what does it mean? Same as a loud minority? It's a bit of an oxymoron.

----

Has lashman commented on Atari Vault yet? Search came up blank.

I like that they're focusing on Steam Controller support.

Here's the full PR announcement: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-pax-south-unveils-atari-vault-300207666.html

Atari Vault enables fans to relive the classic gaming experience in the modern age, with an upgraded user interface, the addition of online and local multiplayer options, and Steam Controller support that provides significantly improved precision control.

Red Hood

Banned
Some games are just really long. A lot of people here idled Xblades before the new system. RE5 takes like 10 hours to idle apparently. You might have a game on in the background though.

I never have a game on in the background though. I've been told it can fuck with the drops, so I always close Idle Master whenever I play a game.

But I think you're right, it might just be the game (even though 13 hours seem exceptionally long). I looked up the time it took me to idle RE5 and it's clocked at 10,8 hours.

Dang, inbox has been blowing up with isthereanydeal emails about the Agatha Christie game. It's like websites are trying to outdo each other every other hour, it's down to 17.60 on imperialgames.com which is very tempting.

Jazz573

I did this for Xrd so I could unlock the original music faster.

It was something ridiculous like 8000 in-game dollars for a track, and you only got 300 dollars for completing a character trial...

That Valkyria Azure thread is pretty stupid, yes.

Eila

Card drops work in mysterious ways.

Some time ago, I had a game that didn't drop anything for 6 hours, and then proceeded to drop all the cards in one hour.

The devs set the average times for them. Even after the update there's a few games that drop in the first two hours.

If it gets released on steam we can discuss it here :3

Jawmuncher

I never have a game on in the background though. I've been told it can fuck with the drops, so I always close Idle Master whenever I play a game.

But I think you're right, it might just be the game (even though 13 hours seem exceptionally long). I looked up the time it took me to idle RE5 and it's clocked at 10,8 hours.

I meant like a game hiding in your processes secretly. Has happened to me before.

Hektor

Card drops work in mysterious ways.

Some time ago, I had a game that didn't drop anything for 6 hours, and then proceeded to drop all the cards in one hour.

The way card drops currently work just fucking sucks. Idlemaster idlet games for up to 8 hours 'til it got all the cards, that beeing the reason why i now stopped idling altogether. It's just not worth it and it shits up your gametimetracker.

You should just get all cards immediately once you're past the 2 hours refund mark.

SSPssp

Bionic Dues is free on Humble Store:

Edit: Beaten! Dammit.

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Bionic Dues -- MB-D28F23BFE8F9082C - Taken by krczt23

iiicon

The Pillars of Eternity Expansion Pass is 60% off on Humble. Is this a new sale or am I just noticing it now? Either way, I guess it's time to pick it up.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The Pillars of Eternity Expansion Pass is 60% off on Humble. Is this a new sale or am I just noticing it now? Either way, I guess it's time to pick it up.

I think I'll finally cave in and buy it, along with some games from the Build Your Own Square Enix Eidos and Friends Bundle.

SSPssp

Thanks for pointing this out, I've only played an hour or so though so I should think about it.

Considering the price of part 1 vs the expansion pass, I want to say the expansion pass is a price mistake.

You had to say price mistake! Bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom