• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Amplitude put up a really slick looking wiki for the upcoming Endless Space 2. Looks like they're going to slowly roll out factions/mechanics/whatever through that. It's really well done, lots of neat pictures and video. Also a new expansion for Endless Legend \o/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, this is

ghost_04.jpg

I wish beta access for this was made more affordable than €250.

Lain

Here's one more. What about the 1 Vote Games.

Obviously No 1 got 5 points, 2 got 4 and so on. You could also look at just the titles which got top spot and separate them out in to their own list but that's nigh on impossible without the data jshackles has.

I'm the only one that voted for Eternal Senia uh. Kind of sad. It's gonna be the same in the overall GAF GOTY.

Speaking of forgotten gams... Thea: The Awakening has a hot developer update
A'VEE said:
No one asked this specifically yet, but I though I'd answer that anyway, so our players know what we're doing. Especially because that we sort of accustomed you to frequent updates ;)

As we announced previously, we're preparing some new (free) content for Thea. Initially we hoped to have everything ready in February, but it might slip to March (among other things, we'd like to have more time for testing and balance tweaking). So while the DLC is cooking, we'd rather not update anything (wouldn't want to leak content that's not ready yet).
[Source]
Get hyped.

Turfster

Where the hell are the Streets of London mission starting points in AsSyndicate?
Is it supposed to have a separate entry in the Uplay account information list?

Grief.exe

You can add your Steam friends to Uplay through The Division.

Invite your Steam friends
“Since the game is social at its core, we worked closely with the Uplay team to ensure that players will be able to play with their friends and also find new ones easily. Uplay now lets you invite your Steam friends into your Uplay Friends list and find people you recently played with. Your Uplay Friends list will also allow you to see when your friends are online and send them an invite or join their session seamlessly.”

https://blog.ubi.com/8-facts-about-the-pc-version-of-the-division/

Most likely been posted already.

Shadownet

Banned
You can add your Steam friends to Uplay through The Division.

Most likely been posted already.
Not just the Division, if you link your steam account on Uplay. You can find your friends who has also done the same. Even Uplay can't get rid of Steam completely.

Sch1sm

This is my little rambly end thought that I threw in my 52 games/yr post, whatever. Play it. @-@

Game 07: Hacknet (PC) - 6h09m
#Hacknet. A hacking game. Specifically, a hacking game following the story of Bit, a hacker
and prominent member of a community as you later find, who disappeared for 2 weeks while working on the project HacknetOS for EnTech Security who seems infinitely smaller than he ends up being
. You start off with simple things, basic UNIX distro commands you'd use to remove files etc (not that most work the way they would in reality). You "hack" into servers. It's a lot of that. You think it'd get boring, but Hacknet offers an immersive enough experience that you're constantly wanting more, especially with the messages between when you're well underway with the main story. Between the ranking in Entropy, and then going up to CSEC, you feel yourself climb, and as you go through you're given more tools to get through more "difficult" systems. If you're in any way computer literate, sure, you'll pick up quickly. As someone who knows this stuff well, it wasn't exactly challenging except in cases where I couldn't tracekill quickly enough
(for example the Hacksquad mission which thankfully wasn't canon to the story anyway)
. When traced, with the change in colour of the game and consistent blinking as I went to reassign my IP, I felt as if I genuinely screwed up, ha. The music of the game is outstanding. The final mission is certainly convoluted - it's a lot of going back and forth, but it forces you to use every tool you earned. From the simple rm *, which you fucking should do at all times because those logs can and will bite you in the ass, to the obscure fucking eosdevicescan. 10/10. I suggest it. It would have been my GOTY had I played it in time for SteamGAFs.

-----

I don't know what to even play after this. I enjoyed it loads. One of my favourite games, right up there. I don't know if I want something of the same flavour, though. Just a title gripping enough I don't feel like dropping it after a couple minutes.

But I dun wanna play Rocket League or Speedrunners.

The Ship: Murder (\o/)Party?
Killing Floor 2?

...CS:GO?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

This is my little rambly end thought that I threw in my 52 games/yr post, whatever. Play it. @-@

-----

I don't know what to even play after this. I enjoyed it loads. One of my favourite games, right up there. I don't know if I want something of the same flavour, though. Just a title gripping enough I don't feel like dropping it after a couple minutes.

The Ship: Murder (\o/)Party?
Killing Floor 2?

...CS:GO?

I bought this game because I thought it looked neat.

Lain

I'd certainly be interested in the thoughts of whoever voted for these games as the best or almost the best games of 2015. What makes them so good?

Infact, I'd generally be interested in seeing people's thoughts about some of the lower scoring games that appeared on their voting forms. There's no shortage of talk out there about the top 20 games on the overall list, but some of the titles further down the list I've not even heard of.

Well, since you ask, let me post my steamreview for Eternal Senia:
For a free game, this was quite the nice experience.
The game itself is rather simple.
You touch enemies to hit them and as you progress you learn 4 skills. You can also craft some weapons and armors, though the crafting itself is just as simple as the fighting, with a sword recipe and 3 armor recipes for each level, and 3 upgrades for each piece that always require the same, simple steps.

Now, simplicity isn't a negative here. It works to the game benefit, as the short story the game is trying to tell and the characters it tries to enstablish take on a more prominent role. This simplicity in the gameplay keeps the game fairly enjoyable without distracting us from Senia's struggle on her search for her sister but it also keeps it somewhat challenging with boss fights, where you can decide the difficulty.
Doing boss fights on hard can be quite the challenge: I had a very difficult time with the last boss true form because I chose hard, but winning that fight made me really excited.

The game suffers from a shaky translation here and there (some weird word choice, some not elegant phrasing), but it still manages to deliver its message, it still manages to convey the feelings these characters portray, so in the end the shaky translation didn't really negatively affect me. I still wish it had a better translation, because this short, free game feels like a nice, little jewel that could be even better with just that little more polish.

Graphically, it follows the same principle as its gameplay. It's simple yet effective. If the translation is a bit shaky in the delivery, the character portraits do a perfect job conveying the feelings they're expressing, while the sprites show some nice little touches (like Senia's changes after using a certain skill).

Another thing that really help in conveying the feeling and struggles of the characters in the story is the music, which I have to commend. It's good, really good. It always feels on point and well executed.

As I said at the start, this was a very nice experience. More so because I wasn't expecting a game as charming as this, a game that would grab me so much.
Because of this and because of its free nature, if I had to give this a vote, it would be a pretty high one.
Even if this game has a little lack in polish and it's very simple, it made everything up with the way it touched my heart.

Shadownet

Banned
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Started and finished Wolfenstein, which is take place before the main game, The New Order. It's a nice short game that you can finished in 6-8 hours. There are
8 Chapters.
It's pretty much the same game as Wolfenstein: The New Order, tight and fast fps. Really make you feel like a monster being able to dual-wield almost everything in the game and just go crazy. The story is pretty self contained,
B.J. and Agent One are infiltrating Castle Wolfenstein to try and find the information on General Deathshead's secret base. Shit went south quickly
. The
Dream sequences disguised as old school Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a really cool side-game.
The thing I'm definitely most impressed with this game is the voice acting and soundtrack. Every voice actor in this game absolutely delivered and the soundtrack is incredibly spot on. You don't notice it until you really slow your heart down after a tense battle and listen. It's nothing memorable like One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII but it certainly did the job.

I really enjoyed this game and The New Order, definitely surprised by how good it was, despite little to no hype. Just like Dishonored. 10/10 will kill Nazis again.

Pro tip:
In the dream sequences when you get to play in the old school Wolfenstein mode, if you get lost (because all the doors look the same) just mark them with a bullet, so you know which room you already checked. Save yourself from backtracking.

Turfster

Q: "Huh, why isn't Unity showing up in this Assassin's Creed search?"
A: Because it uses a ' in a different character set.

Ubi, Ubi, Ubi...

Celcius

°Temp. member
They weren't kidding about Steam taking a long time to respond to tickets. I just don't understand how such a huge company can have such a system in 2016. Not being able to call anyone or even text chat with a cs rep :(
Many pc game are only available on Steam, meaning that if you want to be a pc gamer these days then you don't have much choice.

Lain

They weren't kidding about Steam taking a long time to respond to tickets. I just don't understand how such a huge company can have such a system in 2016. Not being able to call anyone or even text chat with a cs rep :(
Many pc game are only available on Steam, meaning that if you want to be a pc gamer these days then you don't have much choice.

Let's start lobbying for Amazon to buy up Valve, so we can get their CS. Who's with me?!

They desperately need competition

Sch1sm

Baron's right. It's not like we're going to go anywhere, so they probably feel they can take their time or just not hire more people to deal with all of the tickets coming in every day. All around mess.

Baron's right. It's not like we're going to go anywhere, so they probably feel they can take their time or just not hire more people to deal with all of the tickets coming in every day. All around mess.

Valve only hires the best. And the best have better things to do.

Something, something, Half-Life 3.

JaseC

Bump the ticket if it's been three days or more.

Thanks, I hope to have enough time to fire it up, but I want to see how it'll run on my PC. Below recommended CPU here.

Just slightly above minimum requirements here.
Not sure if I want to sacrifice IQ for 60fps, or lock it at 30fps and maximize the IQ. We'll see in the beta next week.

JaseC

Where the hell are the Streets of London mission starting points in AsSyndicate?
Is it supposed to have a separate entry in the Uplay account information list?

If you pre-ordered the game, then you likely already completed the Darwin/Dickens memories. The runaway train mission can be started from the train hideout.

Wait, doesn't that reset its position in the response queue? Like, the exact opposite of The Thing To Do?

I wouldn't think so since you can't edit a message after it's been submitted, but I doubt bumping does anything if the ticket hasn't been viewed.

Turfster

If you pre-ordered the game, then you likely already completed the Darwin/Dickens memories. The runaway train mission can be started from the train hideout.

I didn't, and the missions don't ring a bell either.
Edit: Huh, I've got 100% on london stories, but the missions *did* show up there as unplayed.
There's no sign of them on the actual game map, tho.
Edit the second: aaaand they showed up after I redid a fight club.

JaseC

Edit the second: aaaand they showed up after I redid a fight club.

I had a similar problem with the helix glitch map. The glitch locations didn't show up after I bought the map, nor did they appear upon exiting and reopening the game. When I died, however...

Celcius

°Temp. member

The reason why I have to submit a ticket in the first place is because it suddenly stopped accepting my debit/credit card. I've used it on Steam before and I can use it in physical stores and other websites, plus I called my bank and they said everything is good, but Steam just won't take my money and I have to wait days / weeks to hear back. :(

I realize that I could just go buy some Steam giftcards at Walmart, but still.

Anustart

Just want to play XCOM EU but I clicked play, says Running but it's not. Too lazy to shut steam down to fix it so I loaded up Final Fantasy 13, shut that shit off after 5 minutes. Now I'm browsing neogaf and hating life.

Does playing MGSV:TPP in Family Share mode mess up your main account like with avatar creation and MGO or is it separate even if you use another account? Does it need a special Konami account to play MGO?

Shadownet

Banned
Just want to play XCOM EU but I clicked play, says Running but it's not. Too lazy to shut steam down to fix it so I loaded up Final Fantasy 13, shut that shit off after 5 minutes. Now I'm browsing neogaf and hating life.

yeah FFXIII tend to do that to people. There's gotta be something you haven't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom