• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Why can't I get into the Souls games. I feel like I'm being left out of something great. I mean, I did get into Dark Souls and Bloodborne but didn't play them for more than 2 hours each. I just left them.

I really love the aesthics and design of the games. Loving the atmosphere, passive lore and enemies.

Hmm, I don't know why I'm not sticking to them.

Maybe I should just stick to it and complete one, after my playthrough of Final Fantasy VII. In that case, which one should I do, Bloodborne or Dark Souls? I'm thinking Bloodborne because it is more offense-oriented and it stripped some of the mechanics of Dark Souls.

I even sold my copy of Demon's Souls. I feel guilty.

It took me like 6 months to beat Dark Souls.
Dropped the game for a few weeks because i didn't found the way tro undead Burg and was getting killed by Spoopy Skellingtons left and right.

I thought the game was fucking awful.

Then i came back because a YT-Channel i liked made an interesting video about it. Came back and play through it until i couldn't beat O&S. Dropped the game for 3 Months.

I yet again thought the game was awful.

Then i saw another very funny Dark Souls video.
Got back into it and played until i reached ceaseless discharge.

Quitted for antoher 3 months and cursed this broken pile of shit.

Than i came back out of my own ambition, beat him and finished the game.
Then i played and finished NG+ in like 3 or 4 days.

Now it's one of my favorite game series and i played through every entry at least twice.
It certainly needs some time to click, especially if you're starting with one of the older entrys that are overall a lot more obtuse and less streamlined in certain usability aspect. But it's so worth it.

Just give it a chance Madridista and don't expect this game to leave you in awe 5 minutes in. Certain things in this series, but especially in Dark Souls 1 just need some time to build up. Dark Souls 1 is one of the most unique and beautiful gaming experiences i had in recent years, worth every minute and tear.

There is one moment in the game - tho i'm not going to spoil - that made me a broken man in a way only videogames can do. Play it.

Monooboe

I just beat Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and watched the credits roll. Such a great experience I think I'm going to start a New Game + right away, I missed out on a ton of side-missions apparently. Also gotta do that bitterback isle stuff.

Those of you that haven't played this yet are really missing out.

I'm glad you've been so active with the game, I've had huge help from your pawn since it's always been at least 10 levels above me.:D

Haunted

Tharsis is the Russian Roulette of dice games.

but the revolver is always fully loaded

"Better roll 26 total, or you're gonna die!"

*hands you three dice*

"..."

Granjinha

Man i just saw the Humble Monthly from January. The service is pretty good, huh? Especially with the Alien Isolation thing for february.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why can't I get into the Souls games. I feel like I'm being left out of something great. I mean, I did get into Dark Souls and Bloodborne but didn't play them for more than 2 hours each. I just left them.

I really love the aesthics and design of the games. Loving the atmosphere, passive lore and enemies.

Hmm, I don't know why I'm not sticking to them.

Maybe I should just stick to it and complete one, after my playthrough of Final Fantasy VII. In that case, which one should I do, Bloodborne or Dark Souls? I'm thinking Bloodborne because it is more offense-oriented and it stripped some of the mechanics of Dark Souls.

I even sold my copy of Demon's Souls. I feel guilty.

The key for me (when I bought Demon's Souls), after I had been banging my head against a wall for two hours, was to watch someone play through the first two levels. It kind of just clicked, and the series has been my favorite ever since.

Hektor

Man i just saw the Humble Monthly from January. The service is pretty good, huh? Especially with the Alien Isolation thing for february.

Well, only if you don't already have the games in question. Issue being that you won't know what you get before you pay.

Ruruja

I ended up buying a £20 GOG copy of Witcher 3. Thought I'd finally get around to playing it.

Just over an hour in and enjoying it so far, I don't see such a huge leap over Witcher 2 to be honest, it just seems a more polished version of that, although riding around the lush open world area is nice too.

Granjinha

Well, only if you don't already have the games in question. Issue being that you won't know what you get before you pay.

Yeah, sure, but every month since launch has been really good for me

Alien Isolation already being confirmed for next month's bundle makes it even better :p

rtcn63

Decided to replay RE6. This is my third (fourth?) time through. Gonna do Helena, Piers... maybe the blonde with the cattle prod. That snow level and the
Jawmuncher boss
are probably the low points. Both go on for way, way, too long.

Lain

man grief and lain's pawns are much shorter

get rid of that horrible hat Lain.

I would if I could. Used the monocle before the funny hat has better stats out of everything else I found.
Finding armor upgrades seems like the most problematic thing in the game for me so far. Nothing feels like an upgrade when buying/finding it and I have to upgrade them to 3 stars anyways to see if they become better than what I'm using anyways.
How do you guys deal with that? And where do I find some cool looking armor and clothes?

Hope everyone that got one of my games will have fun with them!

77 entrants to Lain's DD DA giveaway

The thirst is real

As it should be, the game is damn good.
I get lost exploring and killing stuff, then night comes and all sort of nasties come out and I fight some more.
It was so cool yesterday when I found a healing spring with some goblins, so I killed them to claim the place for myself and so began an outpouring of goblins that I fought until morning. Then I got to some forgotten hero tomb on a cliff and as I was chilling taking the beautiful sight of the ocean in, a Golem rose up from behind me and an hectic battle began as I had to make sure it wouldn't throw me or my pawns down to our deaths.

brau

I ended up buying a £20 GOG copy of Witcher 3. Thought I'd finally get around to playing it.

Just over an hour in and enjoying it so far, I don't see such a huge leap over Witcher 2 to be honest, it just seems a more polished version of that, although riding around the lush open world area is nice too.

I hope you are using some of the mods.

There is a better camera mod that makes a big difference.

I also use the increased LOD, creature loot, fast travel from anywhere. Weather enhanced and HD rework project.

Its pretty good, and it looks gorgeous at 4k.

Decided to replay RE6. This is my third (fourth?) time through. Gonna do Helena, Piers... maybe the blonde with the cattle prod. That snow level and the
Jawmuncher boss

i picked this a month ago on steam so i could replay it. but its not the same without a buddy to play with. If you are ever up to playing i would love to go through the game again.

Ruruja

I hope you are using some of the mods.

There is a better camera mod that makes a big difference.

I also use the increased LOD, creature loot, fast travel from anywhere. Weather enhanced and HD rework project.

Its pretty good, and it looks gorgeous at 4k.

I didn't know there was a big mod scene for it to be honest, I'll give them a look.

rtcn63

i picked this a month ago on steam so i could replay it. but its not the same without a buddy to play with. If you are ever up to playing i would love to go through the game again.

I've beaten all the co-op RE games alone. I did try RE6 with a friend for a bit, but he has college so I pretty much never seem him. I want to play with other people, but just getting the mic setup and all that is too much work. And I don't actually like talking.

Jawmuncher boss
I am very slowly playing through 6 so I can say I beat them all. Only beat Leon and Chris's campaign but I can't be bothered to hurry and finish the rest.

Also beat the first episode of Revelations 2 earlier, seems much better than the first and while lacking in budget certainly seems not too bad.

Why isn't FF14 f2p?

Come on Square this is why your sales are slippin'

I believe it'll go B2P at some point, if anything, rather than F2P.
It has a huge fanbase on consoles already, and console base aren't huge fans of F2P games.

I just beat Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and watched the credits roll. Such a great experience I think I'm going to start a New Game + right away, I missed out on a ton of side-missions apparently. Also gotta do that bitterback isle stuff.

054ced614e1827932f6e4bfaabe56e56.jpeg

Soulflarz

Banned
I believe it'll go B2P at some point, if anything, rather than F2P.
It has a huge fanbase on consoles already, and console base aren't huge fans of F2P games.

I think everyone who thinks they'll drop the sub model forgets how much they make off of it.

They will make more off the current subs now in the next year then they'll make off of it going b2p over the next 10.

edit: now, re: 5,000,000 subs: iirc that number was 5m sales
a lot less subs. Still a lot, but these aren't WoW numbers.

brau

I didn't know there was a big mod scene for it to be honest, I'll give them a look.

there really isn't a big mod community.. at least not like Fallout, and some of the mods actually got no follow up after updates so they don't run anymore. But those work pretty good and make a big difference. I use the nexus.. pretty easy to set them up and uninstall if anything happens.

I've beaten all the co-op RE games alone. I did try RE6 with a friend for a bit, but he has college so I pretty much never seem him. I want to play with other people, but just getting the mic setup and all that is too much work. And I don't actually like talking.

Thats alright. I rarely talk. Just thought i would bring it up, since its not a game i see a lot of people playing.

I think everyone who thinks they'll drop the sub model forgets how much they make off of it.

They will make more off the current subs now in the next year then they'll make off of it going b2p over the next 10.

edit: now, re: 5,000,000 subs: iirc that number was 5m sales
a lot less subs. Still a lot, but these aren't WoW numbers.

I only see it from the trend these days.
MMOs just can't hold up anymore with pure P2P model. Even WoW, the one, has dropped it already. I don't think there are any other pure P2P model MMOs besides the FF games.

I believe you.
Here's little giveaway in celebration of me winning Dragons Dogma, thanks again Lain
Congrats and thanks.

When did the word "garbage" become so popular?
It's not just normal garbage either, there's hot garbage, utter garbage, D-tier garbage, you name it.

Afro

Everybody's Gone To Rapture is really coming to Shteamy? Amazing if true. Hope we get Edith Finch too, post-PS4 launch.

Arthea

Sure seems that way when reading this forum.
I look forward to the new forms of garbage that will emerge from our endless pursuit of hyperbolic ways to express our profound dissatisfaction with everything regarding videogamez.

I kinda miss "games are for kids" days
No, not really, but as someone using hyperbolic talk in rl before it became interned talk, I feel robbed of my very essence

getting back to games, everybody should play Trails and Koi Koi, in that order, you play two hours of Trails than half an hour of Koi Koi (or hour if it is a longer game). A gaming nirvana

mp1990

Banned
Guys. GUYS. I've been playing One Finger Death Punch for less than 20 minutes and this is in-fucking-credible. Oh my god this game.

Arthea

Guys. GUYS. One Finger Death Punch is un-fucking-credible and i've been playing it for less than 20 minutes. Oh my god this game.

yeah, it's amazing, can't be repeated enough, I don't think there is more satisfactory way to experience your kung fu. It's like you are so amazing and never knew about it before playing it, right?

Balthuk

Guys. GUYS. One Finger Death Punch is un-fucking-credible and i've been playing it for less than 20 minutes. Oh my god this game.

I know, right? I beat both the student and the master mode and I actually uninstalled it after 10 hours so that I can beat other games

rtcn63

1) Having to re-orient Helena with R3 after almost everything sucks. I can't get used to her being on the right side of the screen.

2) You know the underground area with the trains? Well in one part, you're supposed to dodge an oncoming train by running to the opposite of the room (there are two tracks). Even if you avoid it, if you don't wait for it to go completely off-screen and instead run alongside the train, the instant kill scene can still trigger as if the train were behind you.

3) You get a LOT of bullets. The handgun acts more like a semi-auto with how fast you can shoot it. And Helena gets two shotguns, though her unique can only fire three bullets before needing a reload. The only time where ammo will be an issue is during certain boss fights, since they're huge bullet sponges.

4) Some enemy attacks just seem unavoidable. Zombies leap and crawl at you, instantly taking two bars or so of health off. I literally got hit out of nowhere right after using a first aid spray.

5) Shooting is so anemic compared to RE5, pellets through flypaper or something. I know it's partly so you don't feel weighed down because there are more aggressive enemies and well, the improved melee system, still it seems off after all these replays.

6) I still hate how the inventory works. I wish I could just hotkey items to the d-pad like in RE5. Switching weapons in the heat of combat is cumbersome.

mp1990

Banned
I know, right? I beat both the student and the master mode and I actually uninstalled it after 10 hours so that I can beat other games

Seriously, i first heard about it on a podcast a few months ago, but paid no mind back then. Now, i can see this game being one of those who'll stick with me for a very, veeery long time, and i won't be able to play anything else for awhile lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Guys. GUYS. I've been playing One Finger Death Punch for less than 20 minutes and this is in-fucking-credible. Oh my god this game.

6th highest reviewed game on all of steam

#1 Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
#2 Portal 2
#3 Battleblock Theatre
#4 Portal
#5 Mark of the Ninja
#6 One Finger Death Punch

Arthea

I'm making negative reviews for Portal 1 & 2 right now.

Balance must be restored.

Portals being so revered doesn't surprise me, Battleblock Theatre does, it's a good game and funny, but it's not that good...

edited:
I need to buy Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes one day, to see what's so damn good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom